Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
The FPS display should show you whether you're CPU-bound or GPU-bound.

I'm guessing the speed of your DRAM is going to be a significant factor in how much your client hitches and stutters too. There's a whole lot of voxel data that needs to be pushed around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Azhais posted:

Hard to say. Took me 4 tries to get one that was better than my cobalt, so I was just harvesting til I got one while doing other things.

What's the general opinion on which sort of pick is the best?

My cobalt pick has the speed boost, which just feels so drat nice to use because you tear through poo poo like butter; but my mithril pick is regular speed with a "plentiful" trait, which supposedly increases the amount of resources I get, though I can't say I really notice the difference.

I don't know if it's worth making more mithril picks until I get a fast one.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Tatum Girlparts posted:

One thing I don't get though is EQNext and Landmark the same thing?

No. They're two separate things. Landmark is intended primarily for building stuff, and will eventually have a very thin amount of 'game' on top of it. It will also eventually function a bit like a content factory for EQNext -- all the tools they're going to be using internally to build structures, quests, NPCs, and creatures for EQNext will be made available to players of Landmark; and if Landmark players come up with something awesome, SOE might contact them about integrating it into EQNext.

EQNext will be more akin to the typical MMO you're familiar with.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Trebuchet King posted:

debating trying to make a rubicite axe and hope I get lucky like I did with my mithril pick and end up with +discovery on it

+Discovery does nothing for axes. You get the tree's rare drop at fixed numbers of chops. You want an axe that has as much +speed as possible.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Yeah Landmark is really thin on props right now. That's one area I'd really like to see them expend a lot of effort expanding upon (and not just rely on Player Studio for it -- I don't want to have to buy every individual prop I want from a cash shop).

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Trebuchet King posted:

Okay, found it's 175x175x250...Now I'm trying to find a better way to find the center of the 175x175 plane than just drawing lines from corner to corner and marking the intersection. I wish geometry class wasn't over a decade ago.

The selection tool tells you how large your current selection is in voxels. Just start a selection from the corner and expand it until it's 87x87 and the center voxel will be just outside its corner.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
The engine supports non-voxel content in the world as well. Just look at the trees and nexus in Landmark, they're not voxel-based. I imagine most of EQNext's architecture is going to be "mostly voxel, with non-voxel accents for detail", or even just entirely pre-fabbed models for things like orc tents and whatnot.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
I can't see them releasing EQ Next with the name "Everquest Next" anymore. They burned that name with Landmark and all the confusion around it.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Yeah, someone (I think it was Raph?) blew the lid on LucasArts being the driving force behind the NGE years ago.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

ZombieLenin posted:

a number of previous fiascoes (does anyone remember the EQ2 launch?)

Maybe my memory's bad here but I don't remember the EQ2 launch being a fiasco. I think it suffered more from WoW coming out a couple weeks later and redefining what an MMO was (and exposing how dated EQ2's design and execution were) than any launch-related technical failings.

EQ2 was just a better EQ-era game. It just unfortunately came out in the last days of when people would accept the sadism inherent in an EQ-era MMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Secular Humanist posted:

I still don't understand how that whole "true black" dyetub thing happened in early UO. Like, how were people able to make changes server-side like that?

Originally, by using tools to manipulate the stream of data between the client and the server. The server didn't have the appropriate checks in place to ensure the integrity of the value that indicated the color of a dye tub even though the client was responsible for determining the color during creation. So you could create a dye tub in the normal way, tell the server it was pure black, and the server would just believe you on the color and dutifully put a pure black dye tub in your bag instead of a red one or whatever you should have rightfully gotten.

The weirdness of the true black color wasn't a hack. It was a special color that already existed in the UO client for some reason. It was just before true black dye tubs were created, there was nothing in game that actually had that color value assigned to it. (There were other special colors too, like one that would give your items a weird rainbow-like coloring because it applied a corrupt palette; but those obviously weren't as cool as black.)

It's events like that, and other hacks, that led Raph Koster, MUD luminary and lead designer of UO, to write a lot of the stuff he later did. "Never trust the client. The client is in the hands of the enemy." MMO servers today are a lot smarter about being highly mistrustful of anything the client wants to do, 1997 was just a simpler time.

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 5, 2016

• Locked thread