Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Glad this game got its own thread. EQN and EQNL are two separate entities and should be treated as such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Zzulu posted:

What do you do once you're finished building something?

Build some more. There's not much to do until they introduce the market and combat along with PVP but once some of those game-y features are in, this game will be quite good. Hold us over until Everquest Next comes out definitely and I mean, they're still going to keep expanding on it so it may become a thing of its own. A very, very interesting thing indeed.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

grrarg posted:

I finally found two cobalt veins that ended in sapphires. This thread has good screenshots showing how to find them.

Edit: Finally got enough sapphires to make my cobalt pick after spending a couple of hours running along the northeastern desert of Pingo looking for veins like in the thread I linked earlier.

Inferior :smithicide:

The speed sorta sucks but the size is great. You're lucky.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I feel like the whole Steam sale on founder pack thing is really lovely. I understand a MMO is out to make money but on founder's packs? Seriously? I could have saved $66.00 by waiting several months and I would have gotten a better experience out of it.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

crabcakes66 posted:

Maybe these companies have finally figured out that no one wants another unpolished WoW clone with some gimmick as a selling point.

Wasn't Everquest Next supposed to be the antithesis of a WoW clone though?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Kimsemus posted:

I really just want to know how long it's going to be before Daybreak goes completely tits up.

Not for a while, apparently Columbus Nova is investing in Gawker despite the 115 million dollar fine. If they can do that, they can afford to keep EQ/Planetside running.

Oh poo poo, they have tons of acquisitions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus_Nova

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 21, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Speaking as a Pre-CU Jedi player, I've never understood the hate that SOE got for the NGE considering that it was clear as day that other parties were heavily involved. I've always pictured LucasArts looking at the financial reports, skimming over at the list of popular MMORPGs at the time, saw World of Warcraft at the top and George saying "make it like that".

Do you know anything about the mission system 2.0 overhaul that they were going to do during the Combat Upgrade-era? I've always been curious about what that was. Shame considering if they worked on improving the new player experience and improved on the sandbox mechanics, it would still do pretty well. Probably be able to survive on a subscription model too.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

JuffoWup posted:

Umm, am I the only one that kind of misses the deeper level of those games though? I mean, there is eve online, but I'm more thinking something like asheron's call was. That is still around of course, but an improved version would be nice. I remember when I first played eq (after getting kind of tired/burnt out on ac) and being blown away that you could (relatively speaking) talk ot npcs in a mmo. As in keyboard chat. Not just right click the guy with an exclamation point, get quest, and go.

There's a flood of MMOs coming out that are the antithesis of what has come out of this genre since World of Warcraft. Problem is, these games take 5+ years to make and many of them are just hitting alpha since they were crowdfunded in 2013 and people burned themselves out by playing wipe after wipe doing the same poo poo over and over. It's why I'm going to go into Albion Online having fun while others are going to have to push themselves through doing the same things they've done before or not play at all now that it's out.

Also people have a really distorted sense of time when it comes to the development timeline of these games. Shroud of the Avatar is a good example. People talk about it like it has been some decade-long project but it only got funded in April of 2013.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Everquest 2 had a terrible launch. Terribly unoptimised and people were crashing all over the place. It wasn't quite as bad as Vanguard but initial impressions didn't do that game any favours. It also ran into the problem of "why would I switch over when we have half a decade worth of content/expansions in EQ1?" so a lot of EQ fans didn't even bother.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Don't know if anyone has been following Amazon Game Studios but they've been picking people up left and right from various studios including SOE and they just showed a teaser for this during their big press conference. I guess this is going to be their big engine showcase.
http://massivelyop.com/2016/09/29/so-one-of-amazons-new-games-is-an-mmorpg-sandbox-and-its-called-new-world/

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

RCarr posted:

Pre-ordered

You might want to actually in case they hosed up. Pre-order price guarantee.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M07V5OS/ref=sxts1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475254219&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

bUm posted:

Maybe it's a subtle hint it'll be F2P with some other monetization? Anyone actually do it and get a receipt for $0?

I ordered 15 copies just in case. Got receipts for all of them. Thing is, they own Twitch so that could change their entire business model since they're making money off that. I could also see them doing some sort of "Play for free with Amazon Prime" deal.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
:rip:

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
A couple of former EQN devs that left when Columbus Nova took over seem to be taking a lot of inspiration from what they did on the Next project on their new sandbox MMO called Ashes of Creation (based on UE4). Feel free to register using this URL if you're at all interested :^)
http://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/AlexanderDeLarge/?campaign=GoonReferrals

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

DancingShade posted:

How to try and put a positive spin on the server for a failed game shutting down 101:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9dslf-DOGo

I couldn't see anything in writing about it being a paid advertisement / viral PR for Daybreak but I'm pretty sure it still is.

Jesus Christ. I can't tell what's worse, shilling without disclosure of the fact that you're getting paid for it or coming out with a video that feels like it went through their PR firm and not getting paid for it.

• Locked thread