Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
I still don't understand how that whole "true black" dyetub thing happened in early UO. Like, how were people able to make changes server-side like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

biznatchio posted:

Originally, by using tools to manipulate the stream of data between the client and the server. The server didn't have the appropriate checks in place to ensure the integrity of the value that indicated the color of a dye tub even though the client was responsible for determining the color during creation. So you could create a dye tub in the normal way, tell the server it was pure black, and the server would just believe you on the color and dutifully put a pure black dye tub in your bag instead of a red one or whatever you should have rightfully gotten.

The weirdness of the true black color wasn't a hack. It was a special color that already existed in the UO client for some reason. It was just before true black dye tubs were created, there was nothing in game that actually had that color value assigned to it. (There were other special colors too, like one that would give your items a weird rainbow-like coloring because it applied a corrupt palette; but those obviously weren't as cool as black.)

It's events like that, and other hacks, that led Raph Koster, MUD luminary and lead designer of UO, to write a lot of the stuff he later did. "Never trust the client. The client is in the hands of the enemy." MMO servers today are a lot smarter about being highly mistrustful of anything the client wants to do, 1997 was just a simpler time.

That's really interesting. Man... if I had a time machine, I'd use it to go back and relive early 1997-1999 era UO again. Not, ya know, for the betterment of humanity or anything. Early UO is still the greatest gaming experience I've ever had.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
I remember there being a website called skunkworks back in 97-98 that was specifically dedicated to UO exploits. I'm pretty sure they had a "free" section and a "paid" section. In retrospect, I have no fuckin idea how payment would have worked back then for such a site; nor do I have any idea how such a site was able to exist and not just have OSI fix the bugs immediately.

I do remember successfully breaking into people's houses though by having one person stand on the house steps as a ghost, then you rez the ghost, and at the time ghosts could still walk around with that dialog up, so he'd just take one more step forward and then accept the rez while standing inside, then just open the door for the rezzer and the two of you loot away. The first time I did it was such a mixed bag of emotions, I honestly felt really guilty and also insanely excited and happy at the same time; over a computer game. UO could provoke intense emotional reactions. My heart has never pounded so hard during any other game as when pks (at the time known as Dread Lords I think?) showed up to ruin your day.

Oh hi new page; let the derail continue.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
What the gently caress?? You had to do that?? This game seems like it was designed by a schizophrenic dog.

• Locked thread