Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mercury_Storm posted:

Wow a major company selling ALPHA access to their game, and for $100 dollars no less? I'd expect as much from desperate indie developers or the shitheap that Funcom has become, trying to pawn off early access to their "new engine" that will never be released, but Sony? What the hell.

This is a really stupid post considering that the game is F2P on release. Some people just want to get their voice heard and actually influence the game. I haven't paid any money to SOE, but I see no problem with a company wanting a huge database of info from people while making features in the game instead of just their QA department that is probably filled with a bunch of Yes-Men. As an E-Poor, I'll be F2Ping this at release, but I'm glad they gave access now so they can hear feedback like "harvesting wood is boring." Maybe they will change that now. Maybe they would have kept in boring wood-chopping all the way through beta and retail if they didn't hear those things. Who knows, but now is the time that you can actually voice your concerns and make changes if you post something constructive on their forums. I wish TESO gave Alpha access years ago so everyone could tell them that their game sucks and they probably shouldn't be releasing a wow clone but ya know, Zenimax didn't give us that choice.

This isn't beta testing; it's building a video game testing. Alpha is a bit different than beta. I think a LOT of people are getting confused on the differences between the two.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Feb 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Capntastic posted:

I understand that letting people alpha and beta-test the game is super good for getting important feedback but I don't see how that alone justifies charging up to $100 dollars for the privilege.

Consider this, you are currently posting on a site that has a $10 paywall to block out some of the idiots out there so this place isn't Reddit Jr. They are doing the same thing. They want people who are actually interested in building the game play-testing right now and discussing it on their forums. They just have a bigger paywall than this place and probably a few less idiots because of that.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Capntastic posted:

A sandbox building game? An MMO with bolted Minecraft elements? A standalone free-to-play version of the 'real' Everquest Next game?

Yes, potentially, never.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mercury_Storm posted:

Wow that's a lot of words from someone trying to justify spending 60-100 USDollars for a privilege to alpha test, or $20 to beta test a game for a major corporation.

I thought at first "maybe I shouldn't respond to this person since it seems like they don't know much about this game", but I did anyway. You apparently didn't even take the time to read the post you quoted. :psyduck: This isn't gbs. I'm way to poor to spend money on this man! I will be F2Ping the poo poo out of it though when it goes retail if it ends up being any good.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland posted:

About to begin my quest to build frog temple once more. This time I'm building a pick to mine iron with.
http://www.twitch.tv/allborland

Turn that music down. You can't even hear the game or you guys talking.

E: I had to turn it off. That music was too terrible I tells ya!

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rasmussen posted:

Go nuts, get in quick!

HEVPXMRX446P6PEUH7D3

I grabbed this one. You rock man. If you need anything in game I'll help out.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
That dave video was unexpected but cool. On Adventure as Ogglor.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's mostly a RAM issue with this game engine. I tried loading this up on a decade old computer with 2g of RAM to see what would happen. Slideshow would be an understatement. At one point I saw Jabro, then for another frame, and then he was gone. Even though I could move the FPS counter actually said zero at times.

Anyone playing with some high speed/end ram like 32g of 2600+? I', assuming it runs like butter.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Trebuchet King posted:

Yeah, nothing against the idea, but it'd be nice to have the ability to toggle, like, "sleep mode" or something that renders everything uninteractible for a bit, like if you know you're going to be away for two weeks or something.

They will probably do that eventually since that's how EQ2 housing works. If you don't pay your fees then it just locks your house down.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

itsnice2bnice posted:

I wasn't there and haven't watched any of the panels, but on the Landmark Live recap they showed this as one of SOE Live's highlights:

Holy poo poo, what a great Ogre costume! Did she win the cosplay grand prize or something?

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry that you got mad, huffy and passive aggressive about your picture! Next time put a little more effort into your costume why don't ya?

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 23, 2014

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

itsnice2bnice posted:

They put up a video about AI stuff and how questing will work in EQNext:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gJgZDZdnHc

The rallying calls remind me of GW2's public events, but with more variables and the whole thing sounds pretty cool to me. Although I'm skeptical that the vast majority of the rallying calls won't repeat themselves in a sort of back and forth between the different groups. Like, it would be kinda boring if the dark elves crush the other groups and then that's that.

I haven't watched the entire video, but I do like the NPC talk. Essentially it sounds like an advanced form of Radiant AI. But didn't The Elder Scrolls developers say that was too hard to do for an MMO? Pffft, I scoff at them.

It sounds like a system where you can add a bunch of variables that will affect behavior; it's sounding like a Sims meets Radiant AI system. I hope they pull it off because on paper (video) it sounds very interesting like they've been reading our How to Improve MMOs thread. One of my biggest complaints about MMOs now is that every NPC is static. I like how they've worked around that now.

It's about time!

E: I know some people are upset that they announced this so early, but every time they do share some new ideas and tech I seem to be impressed.

/looks at ticket prices for the hype train

e2: The map system is like Planetside's where you or NPCs can gain control over areas and spread your influence in on going dynamic war/resource system. Some of the ideas here are out there for a fantasy MMO.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Moola posted:

is EQ Next out soon?

Dude, it's out right NOW! If you mean some sort of final state... Let's just still assume it's coming out.

• Locked thread