Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Sancho posted:

EQ next will be so bad

IF it comes out... IF.

Then, yes, it will be horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Damnit why did they have to overcomplicate things, just remake EQ1 basically verbatim with a modern engine and call it a day wtf.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Ugh god thinking about that video with that georgeson guy talking about "keeshar" the vahshir and how you can "rough and tumble" around the world of EQ:N simultaneously makes me laugh and cringe and cry now. He got shitcanned after the Daybreak transition right? Sigh.. godspeed you doughy nerd.

Like I seriously wonder how much of a game they EVER had in a playable state, whether pre or post development re-boot. Is there any other genre of game where so much development money is so frequently flushed down the shitter with nothing to show for it than MMO's?

Relayer fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 3, 2016

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

DeathSandwich posted:

I mean, there's quite a number of things I liked about vintage EQ1. (The community/worldbuilding, the sense of danger and exploration, novel and unique ways to differentiate the classes) but there was a whole loving bunch of awful terrible poo poo (corpse runs, absolutely brutal difficulty curve, pure melee classes were boring as poo poo, hard to navigate before in-game maps or third party tools) that came along with the ride. The unfortunate truth is that a lot of the stuff that made classic EQ1 fantastic was hopelessly married to the stuff that made it unbearable. The community was so strong as a direct result of the brutal punishing difficulty forcing people to cooperate to survive the leveling game. EQ1 was the only MMO game I've played where I had significant social interactions with people outside of my guild for any amount of time. Guilds (or at least, the ones that weren't competing for endgame mobs) communicated to each other and would exchange information on the horrible rear end in a top hat players, meaning individual player reputation mattered because if you were a horrible person you can and would get blackballed from guilds and groups. It was hard to hide from this because name changes were at the time public information and the horrible lovely leveling curve guaranteed that you couldn't just reroll your problems away.

Trying to recapture that Vintage EQ1 nostalgia is a noble goal, but also a sadomasochistic one as well due to how knowingly punishing you'd have to make the game to capture that magic in a bottle again.

I dunno, outside of obvious shortcomings with the UI, I think most of the punishing elements of EQ1 were essential to, as you say, that feeling of danger and exploration that it could bring. Even on P99, which is pretty good at instituting classic mechanics wherever possible, death just doesn't have the same sting that it did on live because I know how easy it is to recover lost corpses even if they decay. In classic EQ on live, I don't remember the GM's being that willing to restore corpses, in fact I remember instances of GM's basically telling people they were poo poo out of luck if their corpse legitimately decayed. Knowing that you could completely lose everything you'd worked so hard for provided a sense of danger and exhilaration that I've still never experienced again. You HAD to get your corpse back, which gave players yet another reason to interact because necros could summon corpses, or if you couldn't find a necro you could reach out to people for help and form a party just to go get a corpse back. When I die on P99, even if it's in the most unrecoverable place imaginable, I just kinda go "eh. well thats annoying" because I know that I'm in absolutely no danger of losing anything but some time.

Relayer fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 10, 2016

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I had a bad feeling about EQN ever coming out the day I heard it's name. Seriously, Everquest "Next"?? Just call it Everquest 3. Their calling it "Next" was indicative of their stubborn insistence that it be "new" in some vague, never-really-defined way, which I think doomed the development. Obviously innovation *can* be an important and admirable goal of development, but they never knew wtf the plan was, so any development at all would inevitably seem to trend toward some particular established MMO model which is probably why they scrapped it and started over. "Nooo this is just becoming WoW, it isn't nearly NEXTY enough!!" would be my guess how it went.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Vomik posted:

They've always been niche except for a period of time in WOW

If you measure it only in subs then sure but when I think about early UO for instance, there was a huge diversity of play styles in the first year or two. In fact that's pretty much what made it so great. UO kind of became a niche game with emulated servers providing virtually any conceivable permutation of it's various rulesets (which all have like ten players of course).

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Man, for all the poo poo EQ2 got at launch (deservedly so) I still thought it was great.. I played from like a week after launch up until the release of the first expansion, so literally my entire EQ2 experience is the vanilla game that came out at launch. I was able to run it on lowest settings on a Geforce 3 pretty easily, and I'd crank the settings up to take screenshots only I remember cause holy poo poo it was literally like 4fps on those settings. BUT the game I still thought was really fun... I ascended up through the content pretty fast on my barb mystic and joined the neckbeard raiding guild on my server who were still in the process of figuring out the original prismatic\Darathar quest. As horribly glitchy as the game was, going down to lower solb the first time in those gigantic lava chambers was cool as gently caress.

I think it really came down to the engine loving them over.. the gameplay could have been perfectly streamlined (it wasn't) and it still would have been clunky as hell to play.

I actually did try to get back into EQ2 like five years ago.... I downloaded the client and made a new account, and for the life of me I couldn't loving figure out how to just start at level 1 in Antonica.. it kept making me start as like level 70 in Halas for some reason. I played for like 30 minutes and quit.

Relayer fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Null1fy posted:

I never played when SolB was raided; I came into the game DoN era when the content down there was trivial. When someone finally took me along for an exploration adventure in the zone it took 40ish minutes (if I recall correctly) to reach the bottom without fighting a single thing.

Lol yeah.. going down there for the first time when everything was orange con and we needed like 30 people to make it to Nagafen running along those ruby bridges was so epic though. It is by far one of my best and nerdiest memories from any game.

• Locked thread