Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
I'm not sure how fast you're farming but once you have a bit of something you can put down blocks of it. If you have a 10% gathering item (or two of them like my friend does from a bug!) you can then mine it for a profit. This is useful if you're claimed in a tier 3 zone and need some low tier stuff and don't feel like moving. Once you can grapple hook around like a madman with the 1 cooldown super long/fast hook it's better to run to nodes. Works with lumber too. I don't know how well known this is or if it's been fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Zaq posted:

Am I right in thinking that once you upgrade a forge you don't need the older one? They look identical and the marble one seems to do all the old stuff as well I think.

Keep the old stuff in your inventory so when you lose your claim to a bug you aren't starting from 0!

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Prophecy120 posted:

Just packed up my claim no less than 5 minutes ago, it works fine. Be sure to pick up all your crafted tables by hand though.

Does anyone know if the destroy that is right next to the pick up button has a confirmation or anything?

In unrelated news no one gives a poo poo about my friend still can't keep a claim and has lost two amaranthine forges today.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Remb posted:

Here are some basic harvesting tests:

2, +2 Keen-Eye Band (3.1 Discovery)
0 Harvest Bonus
Heavy Copper Axe (Legendary)
(84 Speed, 98 Damage, 1 Resource Rating)

1001 Burled Wood
15493 Plain Wood

2, +2 Keen-Eye Band (3.1 Discovery)
0 Harvest Bonus
Heavy Gold Axe (Rare)
(79 Speed, 90 Damage, 6 Resource Rating)

1008 Burled Wood
15057 Plain Wood

2, Ring of Bounty (20 Harvest Bonus)
0 Discovery
Heavy Copper Axe (Legendary)

1013 Burled Wood
25003 Plain Wood

All gathering is done on the largest tree type.

Based on my limited sample size, this means:
  • Currently, Resource Rating (tier of the gathering tool) has no direct effect on gathering. (Higher tiers still have higher base stats)
  • Harvest Bonus increases the quantity of the base resource gathered and has no effect on proccing a rare gather such as Burled Wood.
  • Harvest Bonus stacks additively. 20 Harvest Bonus means 20% more basic resources gathered.
  • Discovery increases the rate of gathering rare resources and has no effect on the base resource.
  • Discovery also stacks additively. 4 Discovery means 40% more rare resources.
  • Multiple sources of Discovery are listed as giving diminishing returns in the stat sheet, but actual gathering says otherwise.
  • Conjecture: I think 'Rare' resources that are gathered directly instead of proccing such as some gemstones or marble benefit from Harvest Bonus, not Discovery.
  • I think Discovery has the same effect on other procced rare resources such as elemental ores and Coal.

Harvest bonus is pretty clearly increasing the amount of Burled wood you're getting since it's the same as the when you have discovery, basically it looks like if you had farmed 15k plain wood you would have gotten 600 burled wood. So the 3.1 discovery increased your Burled from 600 to 1000 roughly a 60% increase off 3.1 discovery (I feel like I'm doing something horrifically wrong here)*.

I don't think it's diminishing returns on the discovery but the item only displays integers when the item actually has decimal places. My friend made 3 of the lowest rings and they gave 1.03 and 1.022 and 1.01 and they added up perfectly fine. He's now using a +4 and a +5 and they add up to 8.25 because they are actually 3.65 and 4.6 individually.

Resource rating is also tier level, I believe.

*I think I'm not correctly accounting for the harvest bonus, we don't know how it's affecting burled wood gather rate I don't think. We'd need a test with no harvest to see if burled wood goes up or stays constant with harvesting.

Bashez fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 7, 2014

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Remb posted:

Even with 3.1 Discovery, I think what I said still holds water:
Say I got 1k Burled / 15.5k Plain for the sake of napkin math

If I didn't wear 31% Discovery, I would have to gather 31% more Plain Wood to receive the same amount Burled:
15.5 * 1.31 = 20.305

On top of that, not only would I have to gather 31% more Plain Wood. But since I'm wearing 20% Harvest Bonus in the 3rd test, I'm also gathering 20% more Plain Wood on top of that:
20.305 * 1.2 = 24.366

Assuming I'm somewhat correct, 25003 to 24366 is a 2.6% margin of error. And I really don't want to gather anymore burled wood without Discovery.

Yeah this looks good, I knew I was doing something wrong.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Octopode posted:

So, am I just bad at building, or does the line tool seem to pretty much suck right now?

You can't really use it to make thin things. Otherwise I don't really see an issue with it.

Also the paint tool is terrible. You either paint with the 1x1 voxel or you're painting depth as well and absolutely burning through whatever resource you're painting. It's way easier to paint flat surfaces with the selection tool and just place a 1 voxel deep rectangle on whatever you're wanting to paint.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

You have a message there saying you don't have enough wood. The one about the permission zone thing usually means what you're trying to paste is going out of your claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Geop posted:

I'll hold off for a couple of weeks, then! Didn't know alpha was wrapping up :v:

Trailblazers are getting 4 limited duration beta keys, I'm sure a million and one people would be willing to throw you one because you've got a star next to your name if you wanted to try it out.

The game is still way off from being feature complete so there's very little RPG element currently.

• Locked thread