Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
Time to get to writing about the lows and highs of this particular GenCon trip! It was one that somehow had some of the best and worst moments of con-going I've dealt with packed into one day, let alone a whole con. Without further adieu:

Tuesday:
  • after two days of packing and unpacking and figuring out just how to fit all the loving games I'd bring, start trip, give some games I was going to sell to a friend so they aren't added car space
  • meet with friend to carpool partway to Indianapolis, play Mage Wars and Netrunner while waiting for , trade him games for beer
  • carpool partway to Indianapolis, stay at another friends' place and play Dixit drunk. Dwarf fortress reference scores me points and pisses off the one person who knew it.

Wednesday
  • get to Indianapolis without much hassle, but...
  • :smithicide: I hosed up my hotel booking, and what was supposed to be a 15-minute walk to GenCon becomes a 30-minute drive :smithicide:

Thursday
  • get to downtown and find parking in a lot that would close early, five blocks away or so, would need to move that evening....
  • look at line giant mass of people in front of the vendor hall, gently caress no, wait comfortably for half an hour
  • go to vendor hall, crowded as gently caress, grab all the games on my grab list: Lords of Xidit, Ca$h 'n Guns 2E, Tragedy Looper (plus a copy for another goon), Dead of Winter, and Panamax
  • visit Level 99 Games booth and get BattleCON artbook signed by the artist and designer
  • :smithicide: at booth bank soft freezes my card for being in Indianapolis despite not doing that last year, wall of automated service stops immediate fix via phone :smithicide:
  • :smithicide: while dealing with card bullshit the bag I had both Tragedy Loopers, Dead of Winter, and Panamax in got stolen :smithicide:
  • done with vendor hall, go to game library, meet with blackmongoose and gamingcaffeinator, play Tragedy Looper. It's great and bittersweet because...gently caress.
  • rush around town to find a branch of bank it city, carrying giant bags of game crap, find out the closest bank is 50 minutes out from downtown
  • dead tired and defeated go to car to move it...during rush hour
  • :smithicide: walk to restaurant for a dinner meetup, find out later I left my prescription glasses somewhere between car and restaurant, more expensive than the lost games :smithicide:
  • :thumbsup: the dinner meetup was WITH THE loving SHUT UP AND SIT DOWN CREW, I spend too much money and so got to be at their private dinner thing. They were awesome, friendly people and great to talk to. They pretty much are who they play in their reviews, except less lost in time and space. Thankfully I didn't have to pay for meal considering my card still frozen.:thumbsup:
  • :thumbsup: due to not enough crazy spenders like me the private dinner got merged with what would be a separate private game session event, meaning I got to play games with Shut Up and Sit Down :thumbsup:
  • Monikers is amazing
  • Ca$h 'n Guns 2E may be inferior to 1E but that kind of melts away when playing with excellent people
  • Ca$h 'n Guns ended in a double tie-breaker. Rulebook says that's a shared victory. Bullshit. Immediately house-ruled a foam-gun Russian Roulette standoff between last tied players.
  • got to scare SUSD with stories of absurdly crazy games like 18XX and High Frontier plus show the awful artwook of Pax Porfiriana and the costly box of Great Zimbabwe
  • the SUSD crew are, in fact, all very tall people but you don't necessarily realize it since they're all the same height; obligatory photo with me being the ugly gently caress in the middle with the Nuclear Throne t-shirt
  • after all that good and bad had to drive back to hotel, thank god I had a spare set of glasses

Friday
  • call bank first thing, one dead-easy phone call later and everything's cleared up. Where the gently caress was that convenience Thursday?
  • went to con much later because gently caress lack of sleep for three nights in a row especially for how shellshock Thursday was. Somehow found parking eventually
  • Great Zimbabwe with goons!
  • went to Tomlinson Tap Pub for the SU&SD game evening thing. Great turnout and play space was great. Said hi to SUSD crew real quick (so many people kind of dickish of me to try to hog time with them a second go around), talked with goons and drank good beer.

Saturday
  • go to game library, play a game of Yomi.
  • meet goons at library, play Ca$h 'n Guns and Netrunner; we break off for events etc.
  • reconvene at nearby hotel, play Lords of Xidit and a partial game of Machi Koro

Sunday ~ Monday
  • spend whole morning packing
  • spend whole day and night doing 14+ hours of driving (thank god for carpool)
  • :smithicide:realize that I packed two full suitcases of games to play at GenCon and only got two of those games played mostly due to booking a driving-distance hotel:smithicide:

TL;DR : Shittiest Thursday day followed by greatest Thursday evening. Rest of con was shellshock and fun with goons. I can't give an overall rating to this trip just because I had such opposite moments of good and bad. That losing GenCon exclusive games was probably the third worst thing to happen that Con is telling, but the same loving day that happened so did Monikers with SU&SD. So yeah.

Definitely going next year. Definitely booking a hotel better this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

camoseven posted:

I had a good time at GenCon, and can vouch for both AlienRopeBurn (aka Snackmasta' J) and GimpInBlack. I hosted both of them in my house and neither of them murdered me or pooped in my bed! Everyone else I met was cool, too. I'm sorta glad to hear that I wasn't the only who had a loving TERRIBLE time at the Welcome to the Sixth World event. 3 hours of a disinterested GM watching us make characters, and then 20 minutes of a mission. Ugh. I did get myself addicted to Magic: The Gathering again which is both a good and bad thing.

Everyone GET EXCITED for the second annual Goon Beer Tour next year!

Which one were you in? It would be kind of funny if there was a goon in my session and I didn't know it. Thursday at 4:00 I was at the table with the two Canadians.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Trynant posted:

Friday
  • call bank first thing, one dead-easy phone call later and everything's cleared up. Where the gently caress was that convenience Thursday?
  • went to con much later because gently caress lack of sleep for three nights in a row especially for how shellshock Thursday was. Somehow found parking eventually
  • Great Zimbabwe with goons!
  • went to Tomlinson Tap Pub for the SU&SD game evening thing. Great turnout and play space was great. Said hi to SUSD crew real quick (so many people kind of dickish of me to try to hog time with them a second go around), talked with goons and drank good beer.

Those "goons" you drank with were me and my wife who is not a goon. Glad the second half of your trip went better than the first.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I felt super bad when you told me about your stolen/lost games, Trynant. Thanks for the games of Cash N Guns and Netrunner though :(

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Sorry again about your trials, Trynant. But hey though, we are almost a mere 11 months from Gen-Con 2015 already :haw: you will have a better year next year overall for sure!

Hmm, and I made this thread in February ... drat, the next thread is coming in only slightly more than four months!!!

If anyone has some hilarious pictures they took this year, please post them (or links to them, whatever) so I can get some good fodder for the next thread--I have pretty much used up all my general-interest Gen-Con pictures in the last two years of thread. And I cannot possibly repeat the "Chill Vampires" picture.

I should probably post mine, but that picture Mudcrab Merchant posted of me with Envy in the Group Me is enough damage for this year.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Backno posted:

Those "goons" you drank with were me and my wife who is not a goon. Glad the second half of your trip went better than the first.

Yes! You two were fantastic to chat with. Sorry for the glossover/exclusion; I'm still kind of in shellshock mode so I was rushing a little with naming all the people met. Also beer talk :smug:

And hey, just to attempt to cover my bases with who I was chatting with:
  • I totally forget that I went to Colts Grille late Wednesday before I drove to my hotel to check in on some goons. Unfortunately it was kind of loud and I nearly forgot the names of folks (although I caught up with Kaddish later). Some random highlights:
  • I'm still amused that the first person I recognize on Thursday was, in fact, Backno--who was the first goon I met at GenCon last year. A very "it's a small world" moment.
  • Finally got to meet blackmongoose, who I was interested in meeting only because he's as crazy if not moreso when it comes to playing monster war game bullshit. Also met around same time was gamingcaffeinator (sp?). I'm pretty sure I was incredibly annoying during Tragedy Looper because I was on almost no sleep and incredibly disoriented after vendor hall hell.
  • also at various points met up with Countblanc, RnRAyotollah (sp?), Gutter Owl, Crackbone, Kaddish, camoseven, Backno, Double Agent, and I know I'm forgetting a few (urgh names and faces urgh).
  • Double Agent introduced himself by saying something like "look at all of these sperglords," or something. It took me several moments of recoil before I remembered :goonsay:
  • IIRC Crackbone, Gutter Owl and I got into the gooniest of board game discussions late Saturday, but it was awesome because somehow some level of civility was maintained.

Either way goons (and their friends/spouses/etc.) definitely helped make my GenCon more fun than it could of turned out. So cheers folks, I'll hopefully rope you all into crazier board games next time :getin:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

At this point we should just find cons to go to. I had a blast.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

TheHoosier posted:

More cons would be awesome.

I'm one of the directors for Play On Con down here in Birmingham, Alabama each summer.

We hold it at a combination convention center/summer camp, so we get all the normal hotel rooms and meeting spaces, but we can also do a bunch of outdoor events like archery, canoeing, etc. It's family-friendly during the day, and then at night there's plenty of rampant drunkenness.

I'd love to see some goons show up next year. As long as they don't try to re-enact GoonCamp.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

TheHoosier posted:

MAGFest is coming up in January and I had a blast going the last two years. It's a much more low-key time in both scale and atmosphere, but it's the friendliest convention I've been two between GenCon, PAX, and MAGFest.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

GenCon has ruined me for other cons. I live in Atlanta and have been going to Dragon*Con since I was 15 but after GenCon last year, D*Con just seemed lame and this year I just decided to skip it altogether rather than buy a ticket only to spend another $5 to get into their lackluster boardgaming room. I may still show up to get drunk at Trader Vic's on Thursday and possibly go watch the parade on Saturday but otherwise, meh.

Maybe it's just that gaming nerds are more my crowd than nerd fandom nerds? PlayOn looks cool and B'Ham isn't too far of a drive. I also talked to Kaddish and RnRAyatollah about DiceTowerCon in Orlando next year, hopefully that'll happen. There's also the Atlanta GameFest in October which I've heard good things about and am going to try this year, if any of you show up for it I'll buy you a beer.

GenCon: So much fun that it makes you hate your second-favorite Con.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I agree with you on DragonCon. It seems like they haven't adapted at all to the growth they've experienced since the early 90's. The space is inadequate, the customer service is poor, and the badge pickup system is an abomination. I remember waiting in line for three hours for my (pre-paid, pre-registered) badge, which they lost. I then got to stand in another line for over an hour. At GenCon? I hit Will Call on Wednesday evening, and despite the line stretching all the way down to Exhibit Hall B, the wait was about 25 minutes.

Also, the way DragonCon handles panels and events is awful ("stand in line for four hours, and MAYBE you'll get in to see the cast of Eureka"). As annoying as it is to brave the giant advance ticket rush of GenCon, at least I know before I arrive that I have a reserved seat at everything on my schedule.

Unless they've changed any of that in the past few years. I was so soured by my DC experience that I swore I'd never go back.

Lawen posted:

There's also the Atlanta GameFest in October which I've heard good things about and am going to try this year, if any of you show up for it I'll buy you a beer.
I've been going to the Atlanta GameFest events for five or six years now, and I always have a great time.

Be warned though: These are strictly "open gaming" events. There are no tournaments, no shows, no parties, no activities outside of boardgaming. It's literally a giant ballroom full of people and tables, with hundreds of games available to play. That said, I find it to be the best opportunity to actually play games (as opposed to GenCon-style "quickly demo and buy games") and meet a ton of awesome people.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
There are other gaming focused cons that are good but Gen Con is the only large one in the states that pulls it off without turning into Comicon light*. I know several people after this year and last year are worried about that changing, though. Honestly, if you avoid that stuff then Saturday is the only day that seems closer to fandom than gamerdom to me and even that is somewhat of a stretch.

Garycon is wonderful, particularly if you are into the history of roleplaying and like games in either the OSR or 1st edition period or older (not necessarily TSR). That includes old wargames and boardgames up to the modern day. I've been to it twice now and the games are great, meeting and playing with people from the beginning of the industry is great, and getting beer served to you at your game tables is great. It was also a wonderful experience to play both OD&D and a sandtable game of Chainmail in the house Gygax typed D&D up in. It is certainly smaller, however, at 1% the size of Gen Con, but it is no less fun with 500+ people if what you want to do is play games as the major part of your con.

I have heard similar things about North Texas RPG Con, just a smidge smaller in attendance than Garycon, but I haven't been able to make it out to that one yet. I have had mix success with local cons in the Philadelphia area. I don't regret going to them, but with the exception of Historicon they have all felt more like a bigger in-store gaming experience.

*=I have not attended Comicon, Dragon Con or any of the PAX's so this is all from second hand descriptions of them. That said, from the descriptions I have had of them and why people who love them go they don't sound like my cup of tea at all.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

We went to Origins from 2006 to 2010 and after the tiny mediocre 2010 Origins we decided to just go to Gencon and see what it's like. Now the thought of going back to Origins is just horrible. The convention center is smaller and shittier because it actually let's people sleep on the floor and the events and vendor hall just keep getting smaller and smaller. We went back for a day in 2012 and it was just depressing.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
LESS TALKING, MORE PICTURE-POSTING

Actually, no, MORE TALKING, AND ALSO MORE PICTURE-POSTING

I will post that picture of me with Envy I swear to god do not make me do it

I wish I took pictures of our Colts Grille table :(

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I had a blast, this being my first GenCon I was surprised at what an overwhelming good experience it was. I have a ton of photos and a few videos I'll throw on imgur when I get a chance. Hate I missed all of the goon sanctioned events but between overbooking myself, demoing, dealer hall wandering and getting drunk with friends I was pretty busy.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Quarex posted:

LESS TALKING, MORE PICTURE-POSTING

Actually, no, MORE TALKING, AND ALSO MORE PICTURE-POSTING

I will post that picture of me with Envy I swear to god do not make me do it

I wish I took pictures of our Colts Grille table :(

I am taking the lazy way out and not selecting individual images. Rather here is a link to all of the photos I took at Gen Con this year:

https://plus.google.com/photos/107246940752848843822/albums/6049089079338174273?authkey=CO6ymdTR6Obu3QE

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

My con was good; the events I participated in were all great, with the exception of the Spycraft game that I played, but I guess what do you expect for a game system that's been in testing for 3-4 years.

The CoC game/LARPish thing was fun; I would do it again if the theme/flavor was up my alley.

I don't know if I'll take a shift working the TCG hall again. I probably will, since working one shift leaves the entire rest of the con open and still pays for the badge and some swag.

Gaming and/or drinking with goons remains the highlight of Gen Con; I wish I had gotten to Colts Grill for trivia and stuff, but my travel group had a Gen Con virgin that we wanted to show around, and then I had a stupid staff meeting. Whoever graciously shared their Captain Morgan while playing Avalon was very nice; the Dick Pill Fiasco was quite entertaining, as was Toc Toc Woodman.

Next year, I'll have to be more careful to either schedule more things for myself or book fewer really long events so I have time to play some real games with goons (not that Avalon isn't a real game). Maybe we can rush some scheduled events so someone else can handle our logistics.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Here's my Gen Con 2014 Photo Gallery.

It's mostly photos I grabbed while doing press stuff in the vendor hall, but I got a few interesting ones of other activities (including a very blurry photo of the Colts Grille meetup).

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Thanks for posting pictures!!! I will be using a few of yours for sure, N3SB1T, and WhiteHowler, I think it is entirely appropriate that the only picture so far of the Colts Grille shenanigans is blurry enough that it would be hard to actually identify anyone, haha.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:

Kobold guide to board game design is my new game design bible. It was the thing that let me know I was on the right track. When my game survived all of the tests that book put it through I knew I was ready to seek out publishers.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
This was my 6th Gencon so I take less and less pictures every year. A lot of things repeat and more and more I don't find it worth the time to take pictures of stuff when I can be running around gaming like a loon.

Here are some pictures I did take though:

We take him on every road trip. You start being a cranky/lovely/a butthead someone just puts on Blabbleberry and then you look like an rear end in a top hat yelling while he looks on.

I took a picture of a pepper on the sidewalk

IT'S HAPPENING!

Playing Desert Island (sequel to one of my favorite games, Lifeboat.) with Jeff Siadek, the designer.

The rings I bought. Got a gold R-P-S for :siren: MY GIRLFRIEND :siren:

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

ThaShaneTrain posted:

Kobold guide to board game design is my new game design bible. It was the thing that let me know I was on the right track. When my game survived all of the tests that book put it through I knew I was ready to seek out publishers.

I liked the other design book and hope this is as good or better. Glad to hear it was useful for you. We'll see when I actually have time to put it into practice.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism

nesbit37 posted:

I liked the other design book and hope this is as good or better. Glad to hear it was useful for you. We'll see when I actually have time to put it into practice.

Which other design book?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

See that picture of Tom Vasel? See that lovely foamcore insert sitting on the table there (kind of hard to see around Tom, though).

That is MINE now. They couldn't get anyone to shell out $45(!) for the thing, so I picked it up for $20 (which for a decent, well-made insert designed to hold the base game+expansion, is a good price).

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Complete KOBOLD Guide to Game Design , which is there three other design books combined. The board game design book is the 4th one they put out and not included in this compilation.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

ThaShaneTrain posted:

IT'S HAPPENING!

Ha, fantastic. I kept looking for a booth/vendor who accepted BitCoin to make fun of, but couldn't locate one.

SciFunk
Mar 2, 2006
Libertas per scientiam.

Peas and Rice posted:

Ha, fantastic. I kept looking for a booth/vendor who accepted BitCoin to make fun of, but couldn't locate one.

I think this was at the booth with the wooden deck boxes, dice cases, and other wooden gaming stuff. If not, pretty sure they had one too.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Peas and Rice posted:

I hold out hope that juggalocoin explodes to replace bitcoin but so far no dice.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

SciFunk posted:

I think this was at the booth with the wooden deck boxes, dice cases, and other wooden gaming stuff. If not, pretty sure they had one too.

I must have missed it then, but I really wasn't on the watch for it.

quote:

I hold out hope that juggalocoin explodes to replace bitcoin but so far no dice.

Juggalocoin isn't a real thing! Hahaha..

http://juggalocoin.org/

:eng99:

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I saw that buttcoin booth as well, but didn't get a chance to ask them if they actually took :butt:coins or just used one of the internet black box third parties where people put bitcoins in and money somehow comes out to pay the vendor.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Was the buttcoin booth in the shady "Entrepreneur" section?

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.
Has anyone every ran a booth at Gencon? Wondering about hidden expenses, wisdom and/or how the experience was. Thinking of applying for a first timers booth and wondering how it will go.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Great question. I have often wondered that myself. My friends and I often contemplated trying to put together an aggressively dumb satirical booth as an art project/way to collectively blow thousands of dollars. Though our one-time hook of "YES, WE HAVE STAR FRONTIERS MINIATURES!" would no longer work now that they actually sell for more than ~$2 a box :(

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

LongDarkNight posted:

Was the buttcoin booth in the shady "Entrepreneur" section?

How did you know?!?!?!

But yes, I wanted to point at them and laugh for having that. Anywhere that takes bitcoins should have a supply of paper cone hats with the word "dumbass" written on them that they put on your head for free (with purchase of item using bitcoins).

Quarex posted:

Great question. I have often wondered that myself. My friends and I often contemplated trying to put together an aggressively dumb satirical booth as an art project/way to collectively blow thousands of dollars. Though our one-time hook of "YES, WE HAVE STAR FRONTIERS MINIATURES!" would no longer work now that they actually sell for more than ~$2 a box :(

Evolve around the con itself. Any time something sells out, claim that you have it. By the end of this con, you would've been rolling in references to Dead of Winter, Tragedy Looper, Warhammer 40k Conquest, and other hot items.

Make sure you accept bitcoin!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

darkspider42 posted:

Has anyone every ran a booth at Gencon? Wondering about hidden expenses, wisdom and/or how the experience was. Thinking of applying for a first timers booth and wondering how it will go.

From a friend of mine I know that they charge $80 to run an extension cord to your booth (it was Artist's Alley, but I doubt it's different for other booths) and you should not plug anything directly into it, as it destroyed the charger for his wife's electric wheelchair.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I'm 99% sure that the booth in the main area selling the FATE books, The Quiet Year, DungeonWorld, Hillfolk, and that horrific brony PathFinder port I posted in groupme also had a "Bitcoins Accepted Here" sign. I'm 100% sure I saw more than one booth (maybe 3 total?) taking BitCoins and I didn't go into Artists Alley at all.

Lawen fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 29, 2014

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

darkspider42 posted:

Right out of college, I sold my indie heartbreaker from the corner of a booth two of my friends had for their own indie heartbreaker. A lot of my revelations would have been obvious to anyone who ever worked retail, but that wasn't me.

We had one of those single panel booths in the far reaches of the hall. We were wedged between another, more established purveyor of small-press games and a gentleman who mainly sold HeroClix. We didn't have an advertising budget for free stuff, but we were aware of the image of the first-time vendors who just huddled behind a stack of books, talked to themselves, and expected to do well. We made up buttons and signs and made copies of our books accessible for people who wanted to flip through them without getting the hard sell. We tried offering in-booth demos, although those didn't really take off.

I've heard pens make good promotional items. Everybody needs pens.

I had practiced an elevator pitch, but it never quite seemed to work. It sounded too much like a commercial and not enough like I was connecting with a fellow gamer over something that interested both of us. Also, I was never quite sure when to fall into pitch mode. When I'm checking out an unknown booth for the first time, I want to explore it on my own for a little while before the owner comes up and asks if I need anything. A too-enthusiastic greeting makes me feel like I'm being scrutinized as I connect with the product on my own terms. As a vendor, I didn't want to chase off shy customers who wanted to judge the book on its own merits. At the same time, I didn't want anyone to miss what made my special angel perfect for their every need.

Some of the customers were rude or dismissive. Some of them had no money, but offered exposure through review copies or prize support. A few were probably the stars of a post in the creepy gamer thread. My favorite customers were the ones who made a habit of checking out the new booths every year to see what the next generation was bringing to the hobby. They weren't always interested in what we were selling, but that's how I eventually met the Indie Press Revolution team.

In the lengthy downtime when nobody was visiting the booth, the HeroClix gentlemen shared the conventional wisdom of a veteran. He told us not to expect to turn a profit; having booth space was primarily about advertising and connecting with the diehards. He made a pittance on each HeroClix sale, but he was getting his name out there for when people wanted to do bulk orders later on.

Overall, it was an informative experience. It showed me a different angle on my favorite convention and connected me with people who've helped me grow as a freelancer. On the other hand, it would've been expensive experience if my friends had thought of me as renting a corner of their booth rather than helping with their space.

A few years later, I went back into vendor mode by helping out at the booth of a company where I did some writing. Their operation was larger, but still not for a game that had a thriving fan community. The Cheese Weasel quest brought lots of people into the booth, but most of them weren't role-players (or interested in learning) so pitching to them was discouraging. Books sold best after visitors had an experience to connect with them--either through an official, ticketed demo or an unofficial one at the booth.

My experiences as a vendor make me curious. When you're walking past a booth for a game you haven't heard of, what draws you cautiously in and what tells you to keep on walking?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

DNA Cowboys posted:

My experiences as a vendor make me curious. When you're walking past a booth for a game you haven't heard of, what draws you cautiously in and what tells you to keep on walking?
An attractive booth goes a very long way.

Take this year as an example. Did anyone else walk through the "Entrepreneur's Alley"? Did you notice how most of the booths were basically a table or two with a stack of books or boxes? No matter how good their product might be, why on earth would anyone stop to investigate? Hell, I was there as press and it was my job to see as many new products as possible, and even I passed most of these by.

Now, did you happen to walk around the "back" side of the hall where the Incredible Expeditions booth was? Here, I'll refresh your memory:

These folks were self-publishing their very first game, and they were also part of Entrepreneur's Alley. They also busted their asses to make their booth attractive, with a ton of set-pieces and costumes. Despite the fact that virtually all of the copies of their game got held up in customs and they had literally nothing to sell but pre-orders, their booth was packed most of the weekend, and they were visited by several big press outlets.

Obviously you need a good product to make the sale, but when you're competing with hundreds of other publishers, having an interesting-looking space is the best way to draw people in.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Thank you for the world's largest .JPG, Lawen.

LuiCypher posted:

Evolve around the con itself. Any time something sells out, claim that you have it. By the end of this con, you would've been rolling in references to Dead of Winter, Tragedy Looper, Warhammer 40k Conquest, and other hot items. Make sure you accept bitcoin!
I like all of these ideas, though of course that would get us punched if we claimed we actually had the Hot Item Du Jour ... Du L'Anneé? Whatever. Perhaps we could combine this though with our "Terrible Character Portraits $1" idea and create parody games on the fly. "YES, WE HAVE NETWALKER CARDS!"

WhiteHowler posted:

Truth and a half. It is not like a beautiful booth is guaranteed to get me to come check something out--I still have to be at least vaguely interested in the genre or game type or something--but the chances shoot up tremendously if it is clear a lot of effort went into something.

I honestly do not think in all the years I have attended Gen-Con that I have felt anything but scared off by the "booth name and number on generic paper and then some tables and some people staring at you" booths every single time. The one exception being when Some Guy bought the rights to TORG and briefly tried to resurrect West End Games--but, well, the fact that he had one of those "no-frills" booths is part and parcel of why his efforts to resurrect the brand failed.

I am still mad that he told us he was only missing one TORG book because there were no physical copies of it left when he bought the back stock, and he wished he had one for completion's sake ... so CaptainRat and I did the equivalent of Gen-Con dumpster-diving to find him a copy by the end of the convention, and his reward to us was "oh, cool, thanks"

still worth it, Jake; high five

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

WhiteHowler posted:

Just to add to this, I worked for the Wyrd booth this year. This was their 6th year doing Gen Con but their first going all out with the decorations, fence, statue, etc. The number of people who stopped to ask me if they were a new company was staggering. I know not everyone is into miniatures, but still this is a company that has been there for years with a large booth with a giant rotating banner above it and still had people not notice them in the past.

So if you are going to go to Gen Con and set up a booth take the extra time, effort, and money to do it right. You will actually stand out from row after row a couple of people behind a table selling some random game.

• Locked thread