Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I think my favorite part of last year was when they let all those kids demolish that Cthulhu balloon sculpture.

I'll only be there two days this year, but I'm excited. I've got a ton of stuff to buy, like Doomtown Reloaded, Shadow of Brimstone, and all the prereleases from FFG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
My buddy handles our room reservations and has had good success with calling the lady who handles the wishlist. Might be worth a try, but like I said earlier I think there'll be a lot of movement over the next month or so as people get their plans nailed down.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Doomtown Reloaded

Gonna be so pissed if this sells out as fast as Netrunner did when it launched.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

So my seminar was finally confirmed!
UnderDiscussion's "So You Want to Start a Podcast" Seminar SEM1456537, 8/15 at 2pm

It's in the Crowne Plaza again this year. I asked for a big enough room that hopefully it doesn't sell out and get left out of the convention guide like it did last year.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

InShaneee posted:

Gonna be so pissed if this sells out as fast as Netrunner did when it launched.

Well if the last three GenCons have showed me anything, it's that the thing I want most will sell out 30 seconds after the doors open.

So make a beeline for AEG.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Section 9 posted:

Has anyone on the waiting list heard anything at all? This is my first year actually registering for my own housing, and I got screwed out of a JW Marriot spot because the site crashed on me after entering my CC info and dumped me back in queue. I signed up for the waiting list and registered a room "out by the airport" as a placeholder (since that is all that was available at that point.) I've gotten no responses and everything about the waiting list says "don't bother asking, we'll contact you when we get to you", but the lack of any acknowledgement makes me worry.

I really didn't like the way the housing was handled. After my first attempt to get Thurs-Sun crashed, Friday was booked completely everywhere and you could only book consecutive days meaning no Thur-Sun available at all. Way to lock out the people who want to come for more than one day!

I know it doesn't help for this year, but not every hotel was on the waiting list. There were some that were offering rooms ahead of time, within a mile or two of the convention center. The price might not be quite as good, but I was able to reserve a room that way long before the GenCon booking went live, then had issues and left a lot of people unhappy.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah, not to be too negative about the chances of getting off the waitlist, but even if the waitlist worked out by and large in previous years, the ridiculous growth of the convention over the past few years has probably made everything more ridiculous.

Brief history lesson for anyone newish to the convention if you are too lazy to check out The Gen-Con Wikipedia Page(tm): In the NEW YORK TIMES ARTICLE THAT MENTIONS GEN-CON WOOO it discussed that the convention attendance once seemed like its absolute ceiling was about 30,000 attendees (as they claimed that many in 1995 and then by 2010 had finally made it back to 30,000 again*) yet it was brushing 50,000 only three years later.

And considering every year both VIG badges and hotels sell out much faster than the year before (VIG badges went from a hilariously uninteresting novelty item to an instant-sellout by 2011, the hotel block only finally got to instant-sellout this year after a slower march towards it).

*Per the mostly anecdotal suggestions of the "Keeper of Ancient Gen-Con Lore," TSR was openly and significantly padding its attendance numbers in the 1990s before being taken over by Wizards of the Coast, but of course the problem with anecdotes...

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Quarex posted:

Yeah, not to be too negative about the chances of getting off the waitlist, but even if the waitlist worked out by and large in previous years, the ridiculous growth of the convention over the past few years has probably made everything more ridiculous.

Brief history lesson for anyone newish to the convention if you are too lazy to check out The Gen-Con Wikipedia Page(tm): In the NEW YORK TIMES ARTICLE THAT MENTIONS GEN-CON WOOO it discussed that the convention attendance once seemed like its absolute ceiling was about 30,000 attendees (as they claimed that many in 1995 and then by 2010 had finally made it back to 30,000 again*) yet it was brushing 50,000 only three years later.

And considering every year both VIG badges and hotels sell out much faster than the year before (VIG badges went from a hilariously uninteresting novelty item to an instant-sellout by 2011, the hotel block only finally got to instant-sellout this year after a slower march towards it).

*Per the mostly anecdotal suggestions of the "Keeper of Ancient Gen-Con Lore," TSR was openly and significantly padding its attendance numbers in the 1990s before being taken over by Wizards of the Coast, but of course the problem with anecdotes...

Yeah, that's sort of what I was wondering. The last two years I was part of a small vendor block, so we had things locked in the year before. This year I'm trying to secure a room for a few random local nerds. If I don't hear anything by June/July about wait list I'm going to just bail cause I don't want to travel in from the airport every day.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Section 9 posted:

Yeah, that's sort of what I was wondering. The last two years I was part of a small vendor block, so we had things locked in the year before. This year I'm trying to secure a room for a few random local nerds. If I don't hear anything by June/July about wait list I'm going to just bail cause I don't want to travel in from the airport every day.

For what it's worth, my group did something akin to that last year. We stayed at a hotel not too far from the airport and basically drove into the con area in the morning to get decent parking and spent the day there until around 10 each day. We did miss sunday, but it was necessary given people needed to be at work on monday and we drove all the way from Florida. We came back with lots of memories though (not all good).

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Is there a mass amount of deals on Sunday? Leaving that day but not sure whether to leave in the morning or evening.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It depends on what you want. Random poo poo goes on sale, for sure - I picked up two big stuffed Meeples for $5 total on Sunday a few years back when they were going for $10 a piece on Friday. Board games I've had a bit less success on. Last year I bought Kemet at the CoolStuffInc booth on Sunday for something like $3 off, which was definitely a savings but probably not worth having to carry it around for an hour or two when I could have just Prime'd it on Amazon. Generally bulk items, dead card games (grabbed two boxes of Overpower for like $15 two years ago!) and trinkets are what go on super sale from what I've seen, stuff like card sleeves and other supplies. It might be different if you're more about RPG books, used items/card singles, or artwork though, I'm not really experienced there.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

8one6 posted:

So my seminar was finally confirmed!
UnderDiscussion's "So You Want to Start a Podcast" Seminar SEM1456537, 8/15 at 2pm

It's in the Crowne Plaza again this year. I asked for a big enough room that hopefully it doesn't sell out and get left out of the convention guide like it did last year.

My 3 games got confirmed as well:

Base Raiders: Transit 2014/08/14 10:00 AM
Kerberos Club: The Grandfather Paradox 2014/08/15 10:00 AM
Elder Godlike: Operation AUGER 2014/08/16 10:00 AM

I also see you're in KC. I'm in Springfield - we should do some RPG podcast thing at some point.

8one6
May 20, 2012

clockworkjoe posted:

My 3 games got confirmed as well:

Base Raiders: Transit 2014/08/14 10:00 AM
Kerberos Club: The Grandfather Paradox 2014/08/15 10:00 AM
Elder Godlike: Operation AUGER 2014/08/16 10:00 AM

I also see you're in KC. I'm in Springfield - we should do some RPG podcast thing at some point.

That would be cool.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Is there a mass amount of deals on Sunday? Leaving that day but not sure whether to leave in the morning or evening.
As someone who is interested in the things Countblanc mentions not being interested in, I would say that the best deals at the entire convention are going to be had Saturday at the Auction Store (well, or Thursday at the Auction/Auction Store; I will explain in a second!), but on Sundays it is hardly uncommon for dealers in the Exhibition Hall to massively discount older stuff that they are sick of seeing/hauling. Once every few years you get something amazing if you are in the right market, like when in 1997 we bought literally one of every thing they were selling at the West End Games booth for $2 each, a few years later when IndyClix stopped being tournament legal for HeroClix and you could get packs for $1/each (and of course I then sold the uniques for a profit, duh), or just a few years back when Pelgrane Press lost the rights to continue producing the Dying Earth RPG and basically needed to sell all of their stock by the end of the month or be forced to destroy it or something.

So the thing about the Auction (I know this is not specifically relevant to your question but this always comes up): Some people put things in the Auction or the Auction Store at amazing discounts from the get-go, and that means if you get there first thing when it opens you are guaranteed to get an amazing deal. But some people start things at a reasonable price and then have the price drop somewhat on Friday and then to a ridiculous price on Saturday instead (as that is the last day of the Auction), so if you get into the Store early on Saturday you will instead get your amazing deal.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Event registration opens soon. This is only my second GenCon (the first was like 100% WarmaHordes tournaments).

What are some good events?

8one6
May 20, 2012

Ego Trip posted:

Event registration opens soon. This is only my second GenCon (the first was like 100% WarmaHordes tournaments).

True Dungeon is expensive, but if you have a good group it's fun.
Games On Demand, because you should always try out a new RPG and this is the best and easiest way to do it.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Ego Trip posted:

If you can, try and get a FATE event. They're usually fun and it's easy enough to get that you can have a good time with the storytelling aspect without getting too wrapped up in the rules soup.

The board game events are always pretty fun too especially if you're checking out a new game.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ego Trip posted:

One kooky diversion is the puzzles set up throughout the hall. Me and another of my group off ours spent a good chunk of a day just waltzing around and looking at poo poo while working on the puzzles. You have to be a gigantic Turbonerd to do them all I think.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Ego Trip posted:

Battletech pods are good generic ticket dumps if you have downtime. I usually tell people if they feel patient to join at least one old style Wargame a year (games labeled as WW2/Vietnam battles, usually with tanks). They can be fun and at the very least eye opening about how dedicated some gamers are to their craft.

RPGA/PF if that is in your interests are usually cheap. :)

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

So what side of the cities if the better of the two commute wise from a hotel or are they all about the same?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Some pics from GenCon 2013

Balloon Cthulu

Rampage. All set up and ready for my friend (Lower Left) to sweep the game.

Not too far from the Convention Center, there's this monument. At first we didn't know what to think. It's still kinda wtf in context.

Towers of Yu Yu Hakusho TCG cards

And then there's the Haunted House puzzles that were dotted around the convention center. I still have the pictures with some of the notes and solutions.

Here's an example

Should I post the rest?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I do not know if other people are into puzzles, but I know EVERYONE IS INTO EVENT LISTINGS!!!!!!

Or if you want to skip right to the good stuff, you would of course use the HighProgrammer searchable event listings site.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Saturday night is a Colts preseason game, I wonder how crazy that will be. Their stadium is right next to the con.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW
Is anyone going to be at Trade Day? I wasn't overly impressed by the academic panels two years ago, but there are some interesting-looking panels for educators.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Any suggestions for the wishlist?

So far, I've got the Q&A with Jim Butcher, one of the True Dungeons, and a Whose Line Is It Anyways thing.
Not much else is catching my eye, though it could just be sensory overload.

I'm into the Pathfinder Society, I've got a level 4 Magus through that, and I like (or will at least try) pretty much any boardgame or anything with a character sheet.

Other than those three things, I just don't know. Should I just buy a stack of General Admission tickets and hope for the best if I decide to find a pickup game?

8one6
May 20, 2012

the_steve posted:

Any suggestions for the wishlist?

So far, I've got the Q&A with Jim Butcher, one of the True Dungeons, and a Whose Line Is It Anyways thing.
Not much else is catching my eye, though it could just be sensory overload.

I'm into the Pathfinder Society, I've got a level 4 Magus through that, and I like (or will at least try) pretty much any boardgame or anything with a character sheet.

Other than those three things, I just don't know. Should I just buy a stack of General Admission tickets and hope for the best if I decide to find a pickup game?

Buying some generics would be a good idea. I'll also recommend signing up for at least a session of Games on Demand to try out some new games.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The standard advice is also to make sure you do not overcommit yourself, given how often people end up skipping scheduled events for a spontaneous thing going down. This is particularly true for events on Saturday in the afternoon/evening, as no human being in the world should miss T.O.V.A. Personal stake notwithstanding.

jadarx
May 25, 2012

ritorix posted:

Saturday night is a Colts preseason game, I wonder how crazy that will be. Their stadium is right next to the con.

Based on the last time (4 years ago I think), it will be nutso. Don't expect to drive anywhere downtown, as traffic will be heavy and roads will be closed. Foot traffic wasn't too bad.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Quarex posted:

The standard advice is also to make sure you do not overcommit yourself, given how often people end up skipping scheduled events for a spontaneous thing going down. This is particularly true for events on Saturday in the afternoon/evening, as no human being in the world should miss T.O.V.A. Personal stake notwithstanding.

TOVA?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I think the Motorcycle Grand Prix is that weekend too, in otherwords, if you have a car, leave it outside the city during that weekend.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SirFozzie posted:

I think the Motorcycle Grand Prix is that weekend too, in otherwords, if you have a car, leave it outside the city during that weekend.

Alternatively, come early and don't expect to drive

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Also be prepared to smell lots of poop while walking around

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

SirFozzie posted:

MotoGP Indy is a week earlier in 2014.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yes, it is a beautiful thing that we are not sharing with MotoGP this year, even though other than maybe waking up at 2 A.M. they were mostly a non-factor (beyond a possible impact on the hotel reservations, and given it was just as hard to get them this year if not moreso I am thinking they were a complete non-factor).

:haw:

It stands for Toys, Oddities, Video(/Games), and Art, and is the "catch-all" section of the Auction. It would be worth attending even if that were the extent of its function, as there is always a LOT of interesting stuff thrown in there (most of the one-of-a-kind stuff ends up here, whether prototypes of nerdy toys or animation cels from famous cartoons or original paintings or handmade statues of Demogorgon or whatever*).

But the main reason I became a T.O.V.A. addict by about 2005 is the way the entire thing is run; I believe every year I describe it as a kind of hybrid infomercial-religious revival-stand up comedy set. Josh the auctioneer is basically a one-man highlight reel of entertainment, which makes sense given his unique skill set of "incredibly knowledgeable about nerd culture" and "former speech/theater coach."

The problem with me hyping it up is that I joined the regular T.O.V.A. auctioneer crew in 2012, but my overall level of excitement was the same before I started. I promise that my goal is to just to make sure I do not detract from the amazement of the main show (as opposed to a lot of previous people who worked with Josh who were somewhat painfully trying to imitate his style while having no business doing so).

Anyone else who has actually been to T.O.V.A. with or without me involved, help me out here. I KNOW YOU LIKED IT, even if maybe not as much as I always have.

*It is worth noting that the obviously-super-valuable one-of-a-kinds do end up in the Collector's Auction on Friday night, though--like Gary Gygax's briefcase or the Chrysler convertible PAINTED WITH SPAWN CHARACTERS or other similar things.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Sounds interesting, I'll have to check that out.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
We definitely need to get some late night alcohol fueled games going this year. I threw some beers into a trash can with some ice and we had good times playing in one of the JW Marriott game rooms last year.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Holy gently caress how do you process all the poo poo that's available on the event calendar? Can you export it to a spreadsheet or something?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Crackbone posted:

Holy gently caress how do you process all the poo poo that's available on the event calendar? Can you export it to a spreadsheet or something?
I posted both the raw spreadsheet and the searchable database, WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT CRACKBONE

Quarex posted:

I do not know if other people are into puzzles, but I know EVERYONE IS INTO EVENT LISTINGS!!!!!!

Or if you want to skip right to the good stuff, you would of course use the HighProgrammer searchable event listings site.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
so I've been for the last like 3 years and it never occurred to me that other goons might also. do you guys regularly have a meet up on one of the nights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Razzled posted:

so I've been for the last like 3 years and it never occurred to me that other goons might also. do you guys regularly have a meet up on one of the nights?
Last year we experimented with hitting up the Colts Grill on the Wednesday night before things started, and that went surprisingly well; I think we had a turnout of about 20 and one of our teams won a prize at the nerdy trivia game going on there. If that trivia game is a yearly thing, then we definitely should repeat last year's startup. Then people are obviously free to figure out other things to do; usually some event-recruiting also goes on here and it seems like everyone has had a good time with that so far.

I will be at the Auction, whether working or just chillaxing, like 8-10 hours a day from Thursday to Saturday, and that is usually all I do other than a one-off game. And my perpetual threat of giving that talk on the problem of fantasy eugenics.

• Locked thread