Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Quarex posted:

Thank you for the world's largest .JPG, Lawen.

Ugh, foiled by phone posting.

Backno posted:

Just to add to this, I worked for the Wyrd booth this year.

I actually noticed how much better Wyrd's booth looked this year than last and I'm not at all into Malifaux, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
The worst was I think in the artists alley an exhibitor sees my badge and says "[real name] that sounds like the punch line to a bad joke." I could not walk away fast enough.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Lawen posted:

Ugh, foiled by phone posting.
Wow, thank you for fixing your post, because now I can actually see what it is, and oh no. :(

LongDarkNight posted:

The worst was I think in the artists alley an exhibitor sees my badge and says "[real name] that sounds like the punch line to a bad joke." I could not walk away fast enough.
Oh god. Please tell me that was the super-awkward woman who is not actually a good artist and has a map full of thumbtacks to show where everyone who stops by her booth has been from?

I mean, that latter part is a decent tactic to get attention, do not get me wrong, but I remember being horrified to get too close to her. Really Artist Alley is the most terrifying part of the entire convention for me because if you go when it is really slow THEY ALL STARE AT YOU SO HUNGRILY

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:

Len posted:

We played a couple rounds in the hotel lobby. It seems like a lot of fun. The first game we lost because of a rule reading error that cost us the game in scene 2 but it was quite enjoyable.

What was the error?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ThaShaneTrain posted:

What was the error?

That a crossfire card needed to be discarded before an advanced threat got pulled. I started scene 1 with an advanced threat that didn't let us buy cards until he was dealt with.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Quarex posted:

Wow, thank you for fixing your post, because now I can actually see what it is, and oh no. :(

Oh god. Please tell me that was the super-awkward woman who is not actually a good artist and has a map full of thumbtacks to show where everyone who stops by her booth has been from?

Some doughy middle aged white guy.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

LongDarkNight posted:

Some doughy middle aged white guy.

That really narrows it down.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Just saw this post via Facebook about running a booth at Gen Con: http://www.leagueofgamemakers.com/observations-from-a-first-time-gen-con-exhibitor/

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Has anyone ever reached out to a game company and tried to get on a demo team? I'm debating trying to get ahold of Flying Frog to do that next year but I don't know when I should start trying to contact them or how to go about it.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
One of the things that mystifies me most post-convention is seeing booths that I have literally no memory of seeing no matter how many times I go through the exhibit hall.

This is one such booth, obviously. And it brings to mind someone's post here years ago saying something like "why the hell is every new game studio called [adjective] [animal] productions/incorporated/games?"

I guess if it is in the deadly "easy-to-learn-games where the employees try to grab people walking past" section I probably ran by without making eye contact.

Holy poo poo, they did not sell a single game at the convention. Well that would be sad except apparently they do not care at all, so yay!

Len posted:

Has anyone ever reached out to a game company and tried to get on a demo team? I'm debating trying to get ahold of Flying Frog to do that next year but I don't know when I should start trying to contact them or how to go about it.
My buddy has been freelancing for Exile Games Studio since 2007, and I can tell you how he got started on their demo team by way of another Gen-Con story of the sort I said would tell in the thread and then forgot after the first post:

Gen-Con 2006, my buddy and I see the HOLLOW EARTH EXPEDITION booth and say "oooh, this sounds awesome!" We stop and play a demo where I am a lumberjack and he is a scientist and we end up punching out some Nazis and firing full auto at a tyrannosaurus while driving a Jeep through a mysterious portal. So obviously we were sold immediately; we each bought the book and went back to our hotel rooms to read through it and loved it.

The next day, he went back to the booth and said "hey, this game is amazing, do you guys need people to run games next year?" and they were like "we would LOVE people to run games!" and there you have it. He has also been doing editing for all their products since then, too, but he was also once a professional copy editor so that was likely a little more complicated a decision than "going up and asking." But yeah, go ask!

Google posted:

Flying Frog Productions
https://www.flyingfrog.net/
This site may be hacked.
:crossarms:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Quarex posted:

One of the things that mystifies me most post-convention is seeing booths that I have literally no memory of seeing no matter how many times I go through the exhibit hall.

This is one such booth, obviously. And it brings to mind someone's post here years ago saying something like "why the hell is every new game studio called [adjective] [animal] productions/incorporated/games?"

I guess if it is in the deadly "easy-to-learn-games where the employees try to grab people walking past" section I probably ran by without making eye contact.

Holy poo poo, they did not sell a single game at the convention. Well that would be sad except apparently they do not care at all, so yay!

My buddy has been freelancing for Exile Games Studio since 2007, and I can tell you how he got started on their demo team by way of another Gen-Con story of the sort I said would tell in the thread and then forgot after the first post:

Gen-Con 2006, my buddy and I see the HOLLOW EARTH EXPEDITION booth and say "oooh, this sounds awesome!" We stop and play a demo where I am a lumberjack and he is a scientist and we end up punching out some Nazis and firing full auto at a tyrannosaurus while driving a Jeep through a mysterious portal. So obviously we were sold immediately; we each bought the book and went back to our hotel rooms to read through it and loved it.

The next day, he went back to the booth and said "hey, this game is amazing, do you guys need people to run games next year?" and they were like "we would LOVE people to run games!" and there you have it. He has also been doing editing for all their products since then, too, but he was also once a professional copy editor so that was likely a little more complicated a decision than "going up and asking." But yeah, go ask!

:crossarms:

There was some shenanigans with their website host dropping them or something a couple months back. They got it straightened out and everything there is back to being correct. But yeah that was a thing that appeared to happen.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I saw that "wombastic" booth, it was near the back of the dealer hall I think. I just remember reading it as "womb-astic"

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
What's the deal with "Entrepreneur’s Avenue"? is it just the cheap seats, or is there something else going on?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Bucnasti posted:

What's the deal with "Entrepreneur’s Avenue"? is it just the cheap seats, or is there something else going on?

It's a discounted booth for a company's first year at Gen Con. If I remember correctly it was a decent discount but it's the smallest possible booth they can give you and unless they have a space they need to fill somewhere because of an odd sized mega booth (like Paizo) it's going to be in the lowest traffic area of the dealer hall.

Edit: Found the 2013 application, looks like a new booth ran $1,600, and it lists the Entrepreneur rate at only $1k.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I felt bad for those folks on the back few rows, their hungry, pleading eyes wishing someone would stop and talk to them as people scurried by to find the bathroom

• Locked thread