Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

GenCon thread!

Last year was my first time. Highlights included:
• Spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on boardgames, then another hundred shipping them home!
• Getting really drunk, smoking a blunt with some random dude, then trading shirts with him!
• Playing Archipelago with some cool goons!
• Shrimp cocktail at St Elmo's!
• Playing in ritorex's DW game!
• TOVA! And chatting with Quarex, kilt and all!
• Seeing some random nerd sit down at the piano art installation outside the convention center and playing a frankly astonishing bit of Rachmaninov!
• The dealer room. Sweet Jesus, that fuckin' dealer room.

I live in Atlanta and have been going to DragonCon for decades and I am WAY more excited about GenCon.

I missed event reg again this year but there are still a handful of leftovers I'll probably sign up for; I'd like to try a Netrunner draft at the least. I had a blast last year with zero scheduled events just wandering around and playing pickup games. Kinda bummed the Pathfinder Beginner Box is all booked up though.

I also started a GenGoons GroupMe room last year which worked well for coordinating get-togethers and general poo poo talking; I'll start it back up this year if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Reynold posted:

Awwwww yeahhhhh

Mine showed up today too :dance:

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I made a new GroupMe group to use again this year.

Go here to download the app for your iOS/Android/Windows Phone.

Make an account.

Click here to join the GenGoons group!

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

LongDarkNight posted:

Still didn't work. Same blank page in the app. Can you invite people to the chat?

Yeah, looks like you can. Needs a "Name, email, or phone number" though. PM me if you don't want to post any of that in thread and I'll send an invite.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

LongDarkNight posted:

I have my name set as "Long Dark Night". Give that a try.

No dice, it seems to really want a phone # or email address.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Kaddish posted:

What are some of the exclusives and promos you guys are looking forward to this year? I looked around for a list (I remember seeing one on BGG at some point) but I didn't find anything definitive.

I found an awesome GenCon 2013 Promos and Exclusives geeklist but can't find anything similar for this year. I messaged the guy who wrote that one and asked if he'd either be doing one this year or be willing to share how he mined the info for the one he did last year.

I haven't finished figuring out what I'll be trying to scoop up before it sells out. Doomtown and WH40k: Conquest, probably. Castles of Mad King Ludwig if it's there. There will likely be promos for King of Tokyo and/or New York, probably something for 7 Wonders since the Babylon expansion's coming out. Dunno what else yet.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I played in the goon game of Archipelago last year and really liked it but it's a bit too heavy for my usual group and I haven't gotten a chance to play since. As long as that's happening any time other than when I'm Netrunner drafting on Friday, I'd love to play again.

I also own a copy of BattleCon:Devastation that I've never played; if someone's willing to teach it I'd be down for that as well.

I'll have a couple Netrunner decks with me if anyone's looking for some pick-up games.

My GenCon buddy is a non-goon so his willingness to go meet some internet strangers will probably impact my ability to make it out for the drinkup on Thursday (we may go do Ron Swanson impersonations at St Elmo's that night instead).

10 days!

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Reverend Redglare posted:

So, anybody planning on playing Fiasco? I bought it 4 times in .pdf form, but somehow haven't played it yet.

I was planning on finding a Games on Demand session of Fiasco but would totally play with goons instead if that's an option.

Trynant posted:

So now that I'm packing way too many games, maybe there should be some more specific dates on when people can meet up to play some of them

Lots of stuff on your list that I'd like to play (Archipelago, Zimbabwe, Roads & Boats, High Frontier). My GenCon buddy is a non-goon that isn't really into euros though and I don't want to ditch him too much, so I'll probably have to play my availability by ear. I'll stalk you in groupme and try to jump in some of your games though.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Anyone found any good promos or freebie swag yet?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Kaddish posted:

Anyone still awake? Need 2 more for shadowrun crossfire. We have beer.

Deffy still awake but hooked on some Conquest in the JW bar. Will prob head for games library in a bit but we have 3 :/

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Kaddish posted:

How are you liking conquest? Still haven't cracked my copies open.

It's dope as gently caress. Game of the con for me.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Doomtown Reloaded is going to need a thread.

I got a copy of limited, opened the box, saw the size of the rulebook, and said gently caress it and went back to playing Conquest. Want to teach it to me?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

You guys are killing me with your loot photos. The 40lbs of games I shipped home won't show up until Thursday :cry:

Awesome times all around this year! I'm always pleasantly surprised at how ungoony the goons I meet are and I had a blast with everyone I met and gamed with. Already looking forward to next year.

Hey Quarex, did anyone end up buying those neon d20 signs at TOVA? They were pretty cool but $250 each seemed nuts.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

The Arcade was really disappointing this year too. I'd pretty much swear there were like a half dozen weird Japanese rhythm games last year and like 20ish standups. I wandered in this year, saw one DDR machine, an out of service Pop'n Music, and maybe a dozen other "classic" machines in various states of repair. It just seemed sad.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

GenCon has ruined me for other cons. I live in Atlanta and have been going to Dragon*Con since I was 15 but after GenCon last year, D*Con just seemed lame and this year I just decided to skip it altogether rather than buy a ticket only to spend another $5 to get into their lackluster boardgaming room. I may still show up to get drunk at Trader Vic's on Thursday and possibly go watch the parade on Saturday but otherwise, meh.

Maybe it's just that gaming nerds are more my crowd than nerd fandom nerds? PlayOn looks cool and B'Ham isn't too far of a drive. I also talked to Kaddish and RnRAyatollah about DiceTowerCon in Orlando next year, hopefully that'll happen. There's also the Atlanta GameFest in October which I've heard good things about and am going to try this year, if any of you show up for it I'll buy you a beer.

GenCon: So much fun that it makes you hate your second-favorite Con.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I'm 99% sure that the booth in the main area selling the FATE books, The Quiet Year, DungeonWorld, Hillfolk, and that horrific brony PathFinder port I posted in groupme also had a "Bitcoins Accepted Here" sign. I'm 100% sure I saw more than one booth (maybe 3 total?) taking BitCoins and I didn't go into Artists Alley at all.

Lawen fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Quarex posted:

Thank you for the world's largest .JPG, Lawen.

Ugh, foiled by phone posting.

Backno posted:

Just to add to this, I worked for the Wyrd booth this year.

I actually noticed how much better Wyrd's booth looked this year than last and I'm not at all into Malifaux, etc.

• Locked thread