Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Awesome OP. I'll be back this year. I was ready right at hotel registration and got screwed into getting something on the other side of the airport. Oh well, at least it's a room.

Go to Gencon, get crazy loot! :homebrew:

Go to Gencon, get your nerd yearbook signed! :allears:

SirFozzie posted:

So it would be a good thing to say how I nearly ended up in the hospital on Day 1 last year thanks to my own stupidity?

2014: The year SirFozzie makes it through Gencon without a hospital visit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

Also for those who buy way to many generics like myself, don't forget to return them at the end of the con so you can get some form of credit back!

Wait, what? You can do this? :psypop:

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
It's sort of like going to Vegas: bring as much as you are willing to lose.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Park at Lucasoil, cheap and lots of spaces.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
By double/double do you mean two adjacent rooms?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I've been on the waiting list since it opened. Radio silence there. In the meantime I reserved a room at a hotel on the other side of the airport. A pretty long commute but it was relatively cheap for 5 nights.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Saturday night is a Colts preseason game, I wonder how crazy that will be. Their stadium is right next to the con.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Reverend Redglare posted:

I'm looking forward to trying out some new RPGs, and nearly every single entry says that there's no experience required. Is this actually the case for most games, or will I get loud sighs from the GM when I show up without having the slightest idea of how the mechanics work beyond "dice will maybe be involved at some point"? I mainly want to try out storygame type stuff, nothing super crunchy.

I ran a few RPGs for goons last year, I'll probably do it again this year because it was crazy. Not sure what to run yet, something D&Dish, last year was Dungeon World.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I'd like to formalize times for a few goon sessions of Dungeon World this year. Last year we just sort of winged it, getting people that way was a bit chaotic. Times TBD but I'm open most mornings and almost all of Sunday, flying back Monday. I'm willing to run 2 or 3 sessions.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 18, 2014

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I got the main event I wanted (the big D&D thing) for me and a buddy, so we made out on tickets. The hotel situation was screwy but we save some cash staying in the suburbs. Just need a rental car that way, which eats into the savings. Still at least twice as cheap as staying downtown now.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I submitted two games of Dungeon World today. Still in review, but I'll give goons the heads-up first.

https://gencon.com/events/65622
https://gencon.com/events/65623

If you played it last year with me, I'm running the same thing, just official this time.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

WerrWaaa posted:

ritorix I would like to try DW-- are you expecting experienced players?

Nope. It's pregen characters and I teach as we go. Tables will probably be a mix of newbies and not, that's what happened last year.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Peas and Rice posted:

So am I basically SOL for getting one of the D&D All-Access Passes at this point?

I clicked the "sign up" button less than a second after it loaded and I was still #3900 in the queue, and didn't get any events I wanted. :smith:

Yes, it's way too late. And since this year's rush is over I'll tell you the trick. The wishlist only processes once. So if you are #3900, someone already reserved all the tickets in their carts. BUT they didn't actually buy them and won't do so. They just hoard. And when they release the ones they don't need, they go back to the pool of available tickets.

And if #3900 already processed, #3901 gets the ticket instead of you.

The trick this year was to constantly refresh, and submit when you saw a ticket become available. Or just submit the wishlist over and over and hope it syncs up.

I got 2 tickets for that event, one 1 hour and one 2 1/2 hours after the wishlists processed. The last ticket I got, there were only about 200 people doing what I was (~200 lists in the queue at any given time). I played it last year though and it was pretty awesome, so I definitely wanted to do it again.

saint gerald posted:

I'd like to play this year, if I can fit my schedule around it. What times do you have in mind?

The events aren't approved yet, so those links won't work yet. Times are 5pm-9pm thursday and friday. Same event twice. I'm also free most of sunday so I might run something unofficial then.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
A bunch of new events are now available for ticketing, including mine!

Dungeon World, if you played with me last year you already did this:
https://gencon.com/events/65622
https://gencon.com/events/65623

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Yeah it's definitely newbie friendly. I'll have character sheets ready and explain whats going on. You are both ahead of the game, most people last year had never touched DW.

Thursday is sold out already, still a few on Friday 1 for Thurs, 2 for Friday atm.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 9, 2014

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

I'm not overplanning this, right? :spergin:

Grey stuff a buddy is doing. Everything else is me.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
It's here! woo!

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Holy poo poo, the mythical gencon housing waitlist just called me back.

They upgraded me to the Omni. Woo. :toot:

From $109/night at the airport shitsville to $195/night at the omni, but I get to ditch the rental car. Nice!

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Oh god its almost time!!

I just printed out like 30 pages worth of pregen characters for my Dungeon World games. Ready to go.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Day 0:

Flew in from Miami with a buddy from my gaming group. Plane was full of nerds. No rental cars left so I got a town& country which drives like a bus.

Did will-call which only took a few minutes. Got a swag bag (ha no swag inside) right as they started giving them out.

Ate at the Ram. 30 minute wait so we just sat at an empty table outside. It worked, got service.

Went to the beer garden, huge line, went around that to the side entrance - no line, got right in.

Headed to the Marriott thanks to timely twitter intel and got a 1 on 1 demo of the new d&d iPad app. Spotted Ed Greenwood there.

Went to a brewery near the airport, lots of locals, no gencon people, good beer. Passed out shortly after.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Day 1 summary: switched hotel to the omni from an airport hotel. Played an hour of Battletech, still as fun as I remember it. Played 4 hours of 5e d&d (wild mage,) picked up a phb and monster manual. Ran 4 hours of Dungeon World. Got drunk at the Ram.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
All access, did it again this year. Last year was pretty fun too.

Also lol:

All hail chicken limo.

Crabapotamus, from my dungeon World game tonight:

Nerd swarm:

ritorix fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 15, 2014

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Thanks for another fun year. I'm finally back home.

The haul (sorry no pic):

A few DarkSword minis. A few StoneHaven minis. I had to back away from that booth or I would have spent a ton.

A 5e D&D PHB and MM. Some goofy novelty dice. T-shirts for myself and the wife, and a stuffed dragon for my son.

I managed to spend less this year than last year, somehow.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
GW had a booth? I didn't even notice one.

Peas and Rice posted:

A huge tip of the hat to the awesome Dungeon World game on Friday. I really want to try to run a game of it with some non-RPG-ers, because I think it would make a hell of a way to get them into the game. The gonzo factor reminded me a lot of Old School Hack.

If you were in the one Friday night at the Marriott, yeah that was awesome.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Peas and Rice posted:

That's the one. Whomever was playing the Prince(ss) class was rocking it. It turned a potential gimmick into a great part of the game.

E: Where would one find that class? Is it this? http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/119777/The-Princess-a-Dungeon-World-and-FAE-playbook

Haha yeah the princess was a great playbook and you all nailed the classes.

I got it from the list here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3540201
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_W1uSpYihHpZk9MWFJWRFNWTGM/edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

nesbit37 posted:

D&D All Access pass was a great experience as well. Doubly so since our GM was blind which is something I had not played through before. The first day was a little rough because his laptop ran out of power and the ICC was taking their sweet time to open an outlet for us so he couldn't read through the adventure on his braille keyboard. After that it went quite well, though one of our group was mildly annoyed that it meant there was no chance of us using miniatures for any of the sessions.

Ah, you had that guy! He DM'd across from my all-access table last year, and I was pretty impressed that he could do it all. DMing is hard enough without having that to deal with.

All-access was fun this year. I did it last year and it was more of a marathon game (8 hours per day). There wasn't any time left for other con things. This year was 4 hours a day, much better. And this year my all-access group met up on saturday night for more D&D (and booze. mostly booze) and some of us played sunday night too.

• Locked thread