Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Anyone who says that the Embassy Suites is too far away is insane. It's like two blocks away, and you can take the hamster tubes the entire way if you absolutely have to. I'm one of the lucky few who manages to rock the VIG program every year, and it is so incredibly worth it, if for no other reason than being able to avoid the room lottery.

I also host a podcast and my co-hosts and I are running our annual "So You Want To Start A Podcast" seminar again this year.

Edit: UnderDiscussion's "So You Want to Start a Podcast" Seminar SEM1456537, 8/15 at 2pm

And a few pictures from gencon:

Cardhalla

Fat Guy & Foam Weapons. Watch for the kickstarter.

A practically empty dealer hall.

If there's a boardgame you like, Gen Con has a giant version of it you can play.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

clockworkjoe posted:

I've browsed the auction house in the past and I'll probably check it out this year, but what other games/events would you guys recommend? I don't want to try true dungeon and I've played Spaceship Artemis in the past.

I'll always recommend Games on Demand for trying new things.

8one6
May 20, 2012

InShaneee posted:

How hard is it to get parking at the con itself? I'm in the 'hotel like 6 miles away' club, and wanted to know if I was going to need to look into taxis/shuttles.

It's a bit of a pain. You might get lucky with the mall parking lot, but street parking is going to be impossible.

8one6
May 20, 2012

the_steve posted:

Ok, sweet.
What are the Event tickets? I keep thinking of carnivals
"Well Steve! It'll cost 3 tickets to see Jim Butcher, yessiree!"

With Tekko, I pretty much just got in line for whatever panel I was going to, but again, that's a small anime con.

Gencon is big and confusing, and I am admittedly a simple man.
Basically, I don't wanna gently caress up by spending all the money to get there and then not be able to actually do anything because I forgot to do a thing.

Event tickets are for individual events. Here in the next few weeks They'll post the event listings so everyone can plan on which games/events they want to get into. There's a third party site that puts up an easier to use version once it get released.

A while after that they'll open up Event registration so that everyone can bitch about not getting into the various games they wanted to play (and more than likely how Gen Con, who should know better by now, failed to properly scale their systems for what is essentially a scheduled DDOS.)

You should also pick up some generic tickets, which can be used for any game, but don't guarantee you a spot in the game like an event ticket does. Sometimes you can get into a sold-out game with a generic by letting the person running it know that you'd like to play if they have any no-shows, and hanging around for a few minutes.

Edit: Also, if you don't manage to get into any of the games you want to play, there are pickup games happening at all hours of the con, and I will always recommend Games on Demand for trying something new.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Quarex posted:

... you cannot really do anything wrong. Unless you go the other direction and over-commit; I let my Older Friend(tm) talk me into signing up for like 2-3 games a day the first year I went, and by the end of the first day I was ready to start skipping every event because the Exhibit Hall was endlessly fascinating (and basically endless)...

This! Don't overbook yourself, especially since this is your first Gen Con. Give yourself at least an hour between planned events, if not two hours, and be ready/willing to drop a plan if something more interesting comes up (like running into an old friend/getting invited to a pick-up game/eating at the ram*/etc).

Also, the exhibit hall...

Remember that scene in Willy Wonka where Gene Wilder opens the door into the room made of candy and starts singing about paradise? It's like that. Times a thousand.

It's a room the size of a football stadium and it has every game company in North America (and most of them from other parts of the world) showing off their latest and greatest creations. It is every card shop you've ever visited, with singles and packs and cases of every card game you've ever have played, or ever could play. It is a rich tomb of ancient gaming relics for you to crack open and explore like a Victorian era Egyptologist. You can play games that haven't been released yet, you can meet your favorite game designer, and you can find anything for the hobby.

But for the love of god don't come to a stop in the intersections!

8one6
May 20, 2012

So my seminar was finally confirmed!
UnderDiscussion's "So You Want to Start a Podcast" Seminar SEM1456537, 8/15 at 2pm

It's in the Crowne Plaza again this year. I asked for a big enough room that hopefully it doesn't sell out and get left out of the convention guide like it did last year.

8one6
May 20, 2012

clockworkjoe posted:

My 3 games got confirmed as well:

Base Raiders: Transit 2014/08/14 10:00 AM
Kerberos Club: The Grandfather Paradox 2014/08/15 10:00 AM
Elder Godlike: Operation AUGER 2014/08/16 10:00 AM

I also see you're in KC. I'm in Springfield - we should do some RPG podcast thing at some point.

That would be cool.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Ego Trip posted:

Event registration opens soon. This is only my second GenCon (the first was like 100% WarmaHordes tournaments).

What are some good events?

True Dungeon is expensive, but if you have a good group it's fun.
Games On Demand, because you should always try out a new RPG and this is the best and easiest way to do it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

the_steve posted:

Any suggestions for the wishlist?

So far, I've got the Q&A with Jim Butcher, one of the True Dungeons, and a Whose Line Is It Anyways thing.
Not much else is catching my eye, though it could just be sensory overload.

I'm into the Pathfinder Society, I've got a level 4 Magus through that, and I like (or will at least try) pretty much any boardgame or anything with a character sheet.

Other than those three things, I just don't know. Should I just buy a stack of General Admission tickets and hope for the best if I decide to find a pickup game?

Buying some generics would be a good idea. I'll also recommend signing up for at least a session of Games on Demand to try out some new games.

8one6
May 20, 2012

My group tried, and failed, to sign up for some games again this year.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Ego Trip posted:

Huh, I thought you had to pick your stuff up Thursday morning when the doors open and wait in line for like 2 hours and miss all the fun opening stuff.

It was either last year or the year before that they started opening will-call all Wednesday night, mostly because there are still people in the 2011 will-call line.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Ego Trip posted:

For those of us that are new to GenCon, what gaming supplies do you veterans suggest we bring? Especially if we've got a bunch of free time for random gaming with cool con people.

Is it worth it to bring games with me or is the open gaming library robust enough to handle most gaming needs?

Bring the one game you own but never get to play, you'll be able to scare up some players without issue.
Bring a good reusable water bottle.
Don't bring dice. Buy the Gen Con set at the con.
A box of granola bars wouldn't hurt.
If you're not going to buy a messenger bag there then bring something comfortable.
Edit: And if you own the game book for an RPG you know you're going to play (or would like to) it probably wouldn't hurt to pack it.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 8, 2014

8one6
May 20, 2012

Peas and Rice posted:

I figured I'd just roll with my iPad, since most of the games I want to play I've got in PDF form on GoodReader anyway.

I assume text messaging still works even if all those smartphones in one place are going to be hammering the network into oblivion?

I've never had an issue with texting or calls, but mobile data (3g/lte) was borked for me last year, and with record attendance I can't imagine it will be any better.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I get jealous when I see your badges, but then I remember the story of my own stupidity and why I always will-call.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

Pick them up Wednesday Night or hate yourself. Thursday morning is like a 6 hour fuckfest with a line that literally extends across the entire convention center.

Seconding this. Will Call should be open pretty late Wednesday (I think it's open all night again this year) Don't wait for Thursday!

8one6
May 20, 2012

Has anyone gotten their hotel confirmation emails yet?

8one6
May 20, 2012

WhiteHowler posted:

I get a press badge every year. The down side is that I can't pick it up until Thursday morning and then have to brave the lines to get my event tickets.

My friends and I will call, and had to stand in that line an entire two minutes last year.
/VIG brag

8one6
May 20, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

How much is VIG and do you think it's worth it? I've thought about doing it before because I want the premium hotel poo poo and the ability to feel superior to the other nerds.

I think for new VIGs it's something like $550. My group splits the cost if the VIG + companion badges across the four of us so it's basically a $200 badge as opposed to a normal $75 badge.

I definitely think it's worth it, if for no other reason than you don't have to worry about the Gen Con room lottery. Add onto that the hour early entry into the dealer hall, which is a great time to get the con exclusives/must haves before the other 60k attendees flood in. There's also the VIG lounge which is comfortable, has wifi, and offers free drinks.

I know it's kind of a silly thing to factor in, but the VIG program also is the only way you get a swag bag anymore. Every year it's been one of the Gen Con messenger bags stuffed with stuff from vendors. In years past my group has gotten complete boardgames, hardcover RPG supplements, dice, gamer soap, etc.

There's also VIG exclusive events like gaming with industry people, VIG (and companion) only slots for True Dungeon, game demos run by companies.

And the VIG lounge has beanbag chairs the size of couches.

Totally worth it IMO.

nesbit37 posted:

You can buy stuff at early access, I have in the past. You can also get that by going to Trade Day. Much cheaper and it doesn't run out like VIG though you need to meet the requirements. This is the first year in a little while that I haven't been given a free trade day badge for running a trade session.

The hotel block seems like the best benefit to the VIG. I have a feeling it might be better for those who need to or like to take a lot of breaks as well. I just don't see myself using the lounge, and I don't know what is in that swag bag but can it really be worth it? I dunno, maybe you need to experience VIG once to really know. Not that it matters unless they start really bumping up the number of slots offered for it, especially with previous VIGs getting priority over new ones.

The Bag itself usually runs $60 retail, and is always stuffed with about $100 worth of stuff (depending on what companies want to take part and what they add into the bag.)

The lounge sounds silly until about day two when you're feet are tired and you want to sit in a quiet place for a few minutes and don't want to haul all the way back to your room.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 30, 2014

8one6
May 20, 2012

OmegaGoo posted:

I kinda fell into some GenCon tickets, so I'll be there.

I am interested in meeting some "familiar" faces, but this will be my first time at GenCon, so I'll be a bit "deer in headlights" all week.

So... aside from the useful OP, anyone have any pointers?

If you want to wast an hour of your life listening to some nerds talk about Gen Con tips then my podcast recorded an episode for Gen Con tips.

If you don't then I'd just recommending hitting Games on Demand at least once, plan to spend way too much money in the dealer hall, and don't buy food or drinks in the convention center. Walk out to the food trucks or the mall.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Quarex posted:

Oh I have never even heard of GenConPlanner.com before just now; I used GenCon.HighProgrammer.com just today to add all my events to my Google Calendar. I am a fan.

I am a fan of anyone who does anything to improve THIS MAGNIFICENT EVENT

Anyone have any pictures of an event in progress at the convention for the benefit of the Wikipedia page better than that stupid picture of a guy with a funny hat standing on a chair?

I have my GenCon set on Flickr if you want it. They should all be marked creative commons.
Edit: And no, I'm not apologizing for the hats. We're massive dork lords.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I created a landing page for my podcast's Gen Con episodes, which can be found here.

8one6
May 20, 2012

FuSchnick posted:

Any of you lucky bastards who bought Shadowrun: Crossfire get to play it yet? I've gotten my hopes up for this one.

A buddy picked it up and I got to play it Friday night. Imagine the Pathfinder card game, but more difficult and actually fun.
Ok, that's not being entirely fair to the PCG, but I had a lot of fun playing Crossfire with a Troll StreetSam. It's hard, but not impossible. From the one game of it I've played the mechanics felt pretty tight.

We were playing it in the lobby/bar area of the Embassy and a Shadowrun writer came over to watch and ended up shooting the poo poo for an hour while my friends and I played. During the game the game dev also walked over to talk to us for about ten minutes.

8one6
May 20, 2012

SirFozzie posted:

I saw a story that expanding to at least part of the Lucas Oil Stadium is not out of the question

Oh good, we needed a space further away from the con for seminars, because hauling balls from Union Station to the JW and back wasn't a big enough pain in the rear end.

8one6
May 20, 2012

darkspider42 posted:

Has anyone every ran a booth at Gencon? Wondering about hidden expenses, wisdom and/or how the experience was. Thinking of applying for a first timers booth and wondering how it will go.

From a friend of mine I know that they charge $80 to run an extension cord to your booth (it was Artist's Alley, but I doubt it's different for other booths) and you should not plug anything directly into it, as it destroyed the charger for his wife's electric wheelchair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

Bucnasti posted:

What's the deal with "Entrepreneur’s Avenue"? is it just the cheap seats, or is there something else going on?

It's a discounted booth for a company's first year at Gen Con. If I remember correctly it was a decent discount but it's the smallest possible booth they can give you and unless they have a space they need to fill somewhere because of an odd sized mega booth (like Paizo) it's going to be in the lowest traffic area of the dealer hall.

Edit: Found the 2013 application, looks like a new booth ran $1,600, and it lists the Entrepreneur rate at only $1k.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 2, 2014

• Locked thread