Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
make sure you get wait listed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
So it would be a good thing to say how I nearly ended up in the hospital on Day 1 last year thanks to my own stupidity?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
*laughs*

Free hint: Skipping breakfast on day 1 because you overslept (making it approximately 20+ hours without a real meal), and then carrying 20+ pounds of new RPG's and boardgames around the Con Hall for hours is contraindicated.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I already ordered the GenCon Messenger Bag (it arrived yesterday) :)

And I violated the 3/2/1 rule of GenCon which is:

At least 3 hours sleep
At least 2 full meals
At least one Shower.

(well, the 2 meals). Basically, since I overslept, I figured, "Hey, I'll eat after I walk the convention floor". Bad idea. Horrendous idea. You see, not only is the dealer hall a freaking humongous place, with crowds everywhere, the first day of the con has the longest lines and the newest, shiniest stuff. So, I carried 20 or so pounds of board games and RPG's in my travel bag, and then stood in Catalyst Game Labs (the folks behind Shadowrun and Battletech) line for 90 minutes (AFTER walking the floor for 2 hours).

Your body needs fuel. Your body needs not to overstress itself on day one. As I waited in line (I was third in line for the cashier), I started to get a wee bit shaky/sweaty.. I took off my glasses and leaned over, trying to get my system to work right. Thankfully,, one of the folks working the Catalyst booth was a trained nurse and saw that I was going down HARD and got me to the ground before I fell down. Basically, I was wayyyy out of it, incoherent and just on the edge of unconsciousness.

Turns out it was a low blood sugar thing, and they had me sip on a lemonade while they summoned the medics (who are folks from the local hospital).. and I got to ride the stretcher into the medical room to rest and recover. They offered to take me to the local hospital, but I was feeling better as my body returned to at least a bit of equilibrium and declined. However, I spent the rest of that day resting/sleeping.

So.. here's the suggestions.

A) Know where the bottlenecks are. Here's a hint: Many of the major companies like to put out their big new releases at GenCon. Know where they are and avoid them if at all possible on the rush of day 1. (I would put Catalyst, Paizo, D&D (odds are D&D Next will be released at GenCon), as the major culprits, but sometimes a smaller company can be there too. Most times, these companies will have more than enough stock on hand that you can buy whatever you're looking for later on Day 1 or on one of the later days. (Now that I think about it, getting the badge itself and shopping for ConGear can be bottlenecks too. however, ConGear almost ALWAYS sells out)

B) Put yourself in a good position. Eat regularly, eat as well as you can, sleep when you can. Carry a water bottle that you can refill at various spots around the con. Carry stuff like snack bars to tide over the cravings (your body needs fuel)

C) Know your limits: Take breaks when/if you can. If you start to get tired/woozy.. DON'T try to tough it out. Your body sends out warning signals for a reason, ignore them at your own peril.

D) Be careful when booking events.. you may think "Ah I can do this from 3-5 and this from 5-8.. but A) usually that'll screw you out of some fun either at the end of the early session or missing some of the late session.. especially now that GenCon events can be in many different hotels. I missed out on the NCAA 14 tournament last year because I showed up 3 minutes early, only to be told that they had a rule that if you weren't there 10 minutes early, you were disqualified.

E) Buy lots and lots of generics. You never know when you'll want to do something (the arcade hall was fun with a Rock Band Marathon for example).

F)Do something silly, like sit in the auction for an hour or two and bid on random things.

G) There's nothing like talking rpg's with random folks at 3:45 in the morning at Steak n Shake ;)

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I think the Motorcycle Grand Prix is that weekend too, in otherwords, if you have a car, leave it outside the city during that weekend.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Always say a prayer for the servers on Event Reg day..

(eyes clock.. punches the submit event wishlist for processing button at 12:00:00)

*You are #2552 in line for processing*

Me: (crosses fingers, toes and eyes)

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Got everything I wanted in the first wave (L5R Big Experience, casual netrunner play, a 5th Edition D&D game, some Battletech) except for a 13th age game

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I might be looking for a roommate to split costs (the hotel for 5 days is something like $1000 :P)

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Booked my O-Dark-hundred flight (0600 Eastern) for the 13th of august, fly home on the 18th :)

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Updated my info. I canna wait.

I need to get into the GroupMe Chat

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
GenCon High Programmer is better.

(folds arms)

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Have they started setting up have they have they hmm hmm hmm?

In all seriousness, it amazes me how much change the center goes through the week of gencon, and in sad retrospect, how empty the place feels on monday.

Oh, and Happy "Reservations get sent to hotels" day.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Didn't see this posted, the food truck schedule

http://gencon.com/experience/foodtrucks

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
So, day 0. Trooped all over creation (6 am flights are for the freaking birds). Did plenty of walking (got my extra GenCon Generics.. Got my ticket for the Indy Indians game (Sunday Night), hit the CVS for supplies)). My leg didn't like this (thank god I brought my cane with me), so sitting in the chair and putting it up turned into a 4 hour nap while the Aleve did it's magic)

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
BTW, one slight negative, whoever that was who ordered a beer, played a couple rounds of CAH and then left, sticking us with the bill.

(Don't BELIEVE he was a goon, but... still dick move)

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Rit: Did you do the AD&D All Access Pack, or are they selling them in the D&D hall?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
pictures of all the loot I picked up will have to wait until the end of the week as I shipped home 36 pounds of card board and role playing games.

that's the first step is admitting you have a problem isn't it?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Official numbers are in: 56,614, which is about.. 15%? higher than last year, and double the size of 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I saw a story that expanding to at least part of the Lucas Oil Stadium is not out of the question

• Locked thread