Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Marietta and Norn aren't huge bitches to her, so she isn't a huge bitch right back. Well actually it is because they don't have any role in the Veola scenes, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

Atelier Iris in a nutshell:
"yay Veola pl- oh dammit main plot again"

Shitenshi posted:

Don Normaone: Veola's like a daughter to me...Anime angel bitch, step away from the mafia princess's man.

If they made a Veola-centric video game, this is what I would want it to be. Hell, this could even probably be a TV show.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh no, main plot again.

Considerate of it to wait for us to get Lita back to full strength, though.

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013
You know, I honestly feel SORRY for anything that tries to attack Veola or Norman in the town, because Veola has enough explosives to probably levels a small city by now thanks to Klein... makes you wonder if she isn't the cause. Just kidding of course, she wouldn't do that, except maybe to the house of that Chamber of Commerce Douchebag.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, in the future Aralnd games Tera Flames are (one of) the ultimate weapons. In Rorona, when you use a souped-up one in battle, it takes out the enemy party AND your party! There's even a cut-away to the town of Arland where the residents can see the explosion. (You're supposed to fuse a property on the tera flame to decrease its AoE making it practical for battle. Totori and later games do away with this nonsense because it was annoying.)

Aleator
Jun 27, 2011

I am nothing but a blade, waiting for the perfect time to end an ancient warrior's pride.
I marathoned this thread and I find it funny that this is about the point where I lost interest in the game and never bothered going further.

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013

Aleator posted:

I marathoned this thread and I find it funny that this is about the point where I lost interest in the game and never bothered going further.

Huh. That too bad. Since this is JUST before the BEST SCENE EVER happens.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

OminousEdge posted:

Huh. That too bad. Since this is JUST before the BEST SCENE EVER happens.

That's a pretty tall order in the same genre that includes FLYING MAGIC CHAINSWORD PIRATE and "FLOOD THE MANA CANNON WITH SEAAAAA WATERRRRR" and suplexing a loving living hell train.

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

Update 38: Seduction

I wanted to explore a bit more with Flight and stuff, but it looks like Kavoc might be in trouble so let's head that way first...

Music: Whistle

How did this happen?

The townspeople need our help! Hurry!

Stop whining! Who's going to protect Kavoc if we just give up!?

Hey, you guys okay?

L-Lady Marietta!

Don't worry. Everything's going to be fine.

The game throws us into a fight with some monsters.

The thing about Murder Mode before is that it bottomed out Lita's MP so she could really only use Jump Kick (and even then only like three or four times). But now that I have Pale Wing, she can bust out Meteor Strike, and, well...

Lita is devastating. She killed everything but the Legion in the middle, and still did some decent damage to it considering they have good defense.

After the fight...

What's the situation?

Monsters started showing up after the earthquake. As usual, monsters weren't far behind.

What about the townspeople?

most of them evacuated. The others are hiding in the cathedral.

Is there anything we can do to help?

We can handle things here. You should go help Captain Beggur.

Meow...where is he?

He went to the sewer and never came back.

Don't worry, we'll find him.

Thanks. We'll hold them here. Good luck!

There are a few Growloons hanging around that we can kill off, mostly up in higher spots. Speaking of higher spots, we can also fly around a bit and reach some stuff on rooftops that have been taunting us all game.

Including a Mana Item! This thing gives a temporary 50% chance of not taking damage for a while. It takes 5 Spirit, Power, and Holy Elements, which is fairly reasonable for what it is.

Oh yeah, remember a long time ago when I was exploring the town square with Deimia and found the Edge Cast weapon for Delsus here? Well, it disappears after the earthquake, and that's the only copy of it anywhere, so as far as I know that's the only permanently missable item (besides the quest rewards for finding everything).

A few shopkeepers are actually still around. Lyla and Norman are both gone, but Hagel is still here to sell us weapons if we need them. And, of course...

Atelier Veola: A Present

Music: The Laughable Pair

Not only is Veola around, she's still up for synthesis and Lita trolling!

I'd like to apologize for my behavior last time...

Oh, don't worry about it. It's in the past, right?

Thank you. I'd like to make something for you, Lita.

...You don't have to do that.

Do not worry, it's the same as I made for Klein. This will protect you.

Really?

Yes. I hope you like it.

I don't...what IS that? It looks like a mustache. Well, I had to synthesize a couple more Comet Jewels (I forgot how many of those things we end up needing) but I have the other stuff, so let's see what this present is.

...Ohhhh man.

I made you a present. Is it okay?

Wait, is that -

Do you like it? It's a Priestess Tiara. It turned out a lot better than I expected. I think this will be my masterpiece.

...How does it look?

...Heh...

What are you laughing at!?

Huh? Is something funny? I guarantee this item will work. It protects from attacks like Poison and Paralysis.

Oh, wow.

It looks as good on you as I imagined it would.

Do you really mean that, or are you making fun of me?

I can't decide if Veola should have named it Princess Tiara instead of Priestess Tiara. I guess naming it Priestess Tiara gives her plausible deniability that the gift is actually an insult. Glad to see Veola's okay and up to her usual antics, at any rate.

It'll be fine! I'm right here...Don't be a chicken.

Looks like the kids are fine, too. DO they even have parents? I wonder if Pamela's gotten back here yet?

We can also find this precious item above Veola's shop. I'll have to remember to take this over to Totopop's later.

All right, time to hit the sewers. They're as small as ever so we don't have to worry about many randoms, but some of the enemies prowling here now are these Mull Beasts. They have an attack reminiscent of Arlin's Double ability, which is to say it hurts like hell. Klein can still survive a hit from it – maybe even two, if none of the hits crit (they crit a lot) – but these ladies are still quite dangerous. They also like to just get extra actions because they can. Fortunately they also have a weak standard attack they use a lot, so it's not like they're spamming this nasty ability all the time.

Music: The Name's Beggur!

Are you okay?

Oh, hey. Don't worry, I'll handle these guys.

Watch out, old man!

Ohhhhh no you didn't! Cheap shots are off limits!

Here they come...

Squish.

Ein asked us to come give you a hand.

drat! I must have lost track of time. No matter how many of these things I kill, more take their place. We need to take out the boss. It's gotta be around here somewhere. I'll stay here with the small fries – you go find the boss.

Any idea where it's hiding?

If I knew that, would I be wasting my time here?

… …

Well, my brother's back to normal. Come on, let's find the boss.

And after a little more exploring...

That is one fat boss...

So this is the cause of all the trouble.

We'd better take it out quick.

:drac: Mmmm...You don't want to hurt me, do you?

What the -

I can't...meow...move...

Am I the only person who is baffled by the idea of a paralysis spell allowing the affected person to speak? You have to move your mouth to talk, yes? Maybe all RPG characters are also ventriloquists.

:drac: Would YOU like to have a little fun...?

Music: Bullfight

Sweet, the cavalry's here.

Nobody likes a cheater, lady! Now fight fair, or I'll have to teach you a lesson!

:drac: Who the hell are you!? I mean...hey there. So, you're a knight, huh?

...What are you trying to do?

:drac: What? My spell failed!? Who...who ARE you!?

I cannot betray my wife...

I'm going to kick your rear end! Dragon APOCALYPSE!!!

:drac: Ahh!

Wow, not too shabby, old man.

Now's your chance! Everyone, attack!

:drac: Huh...? You're a man! I should be able to seduce you into doing stupid and dangerous things!

Well, he's already a pro at that.

Music: Horned Enigma

I'm sorry to report that Beggur does not actually guest star in the gameplay here. Also, the Succubus (actually I think her name is Banshee for some reason) calls a bunch of friends including a couple Mull Beasts.

So Klein died (but this time it was at least a combination of bad luck and me making bad decisions, rather than Klein just being that stupid frail).

I almost started over since I wasn't far into the fight, but then I remembered something someone said about Norn and thought I'd test it out.

The theory goes that Norn's Magic Shield both stacks on itself AND resets it's duration every time she recasts it on someone. Since the buff lasts five turns, this gives Norn enough time to constantly reapply it before it fades, and since it stacks on itself she can make the whole team nigh invincible as long as she has the MP to keep up (which Klein could normally supply with Mana Items, but I have some normal items that can refill MP as well and Norn just has a ton of MP to begin with, so that's not a major concern right now).

Things got a little dangerous for a while, but once Lita killed off the Mull Beasts by dropping rocks on them from the sky...

...things got pretty well under control.

The boss can still Charm people which is really annoying, and if she hits Norn with it then you run a risk of Magic Shield wearing off, but fortunately she never Charmed Norn. She got both Marietta and Lita with it a couple times, though, and Marietta actually healed her a couple times, but Lita's angry deathy rage won out in the end.

Also I wasted a bunch of Force Blast uses on her before realizing that, unlike other enemies that look like her, this boss can be hit with physical attacks. Whoops.

I was...She passed away seven year ago. It seems so long ago...

She was very beautiful, but when she got mad...watch out.

After seeing her face, I could never be tempted by another woman.

Captain! Are you alright, sir?

All clear down here. How goes it topside?

All clear, sir! A Galgazit showed up to help.

Wait, there are actually Galgazits besides us?

That's good to hear.

I'm sure Mull was behind this.

Mull...!? Are you telling me Mull could have done this?

Do you know where he is?

I've seen him near Iris' Resting Place a few times...Don't worry about Kavoc; we'll protect the town.

Brother...

That wraps up today's main plot segment, but I'd like to wrap up our oustanding sidequest right now. We were looking for a water-themed place to do something to get something about something that might lead to Aroma Material. Let's go!

Music: Lakeside

The sidequest doesn't trigger until after Silencia because we need Flight to reach these statues. There are three – two to the south and one hidden away in the northeast corner.

You're right...not to mention the huge lake right in front of it.

“A world of water”...Any idea what that means?

I have no idea...and I usually just make stuff up.

Didn't we see one of these statues somewhere else?

The Spirit in the Spring of Nelvia!

...Let's check it out. You guys might be on to something.

Oh, so we actually have to visit both places I thought made sense. That's...cool, I guess, although I'm not sure I appreciate the legwork this quest is looking like it will require. At least I know I'll get something worthwhile out of all this.

We need to ask you something...

fade out/in

:geno: I remember a story from my childhood in the Land of Mana...Pour the water Mana's power over the statue. That will save the lake.

Lake? What lake?...That didn't sound like a story.

:geno: You'll just have to ask her that. That's all I can say...so long.

...Her?

I'm sure we'll figure it out.

That was basically the least helpful conversation I've had all game. Well, let's head back.

Examining the first statue made something good happen...

Huh?

As it turns out, the game wants you to use 50 Water Elements on each statue, for a total of 150. Since our max is 99, this can get a bit tricky. Fortunately I have a ton of items that give Water Elements if I extract them, so I was able to make do anyway. Once we visit all three...

:silent: I am the spirit of this lake. Thanks to you, my true power has returned.

What's that supposed to mean?

:silent: This lake died, once. The Nymphs disappeared, leaving only a barren wasteland behind. But Iris gave us this sphere, and the lake returned to normal. She saved us all.

Sounds like everybody loves Iris.

:silent: Thanks to you, we no longer need to depend on this sphere. I shall give it to you...

And one trip to the Garden of Eternity later...

...we have our second and last Aroma Material! Now we can juggle Mana around for even more Element optimization and have two powered up at a time for skill point boosts. It's not super necessary, but it's nice to have the option of transforming two Mana at once.

That wraps it up for today. See you all next time!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

"By pouring water on statues you've saved the lake! Thank you great hero!"

It's a bit :geno:

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
If you're continuing with the story next time, then holy poo poo the two best songs ever are coming up. In a game of average to mostly good music, two of the endgame only songs stand out.

The Baroness has powerful attacks but is strangely easy in spite of that. I remember I got cocky with her and was in the red for awhile, but picked myself back up with no problem.

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013

bathroomrage posted:

That's a pretty tall order in the same genre that includes FLYING MAGIC CHAINSWORD PIRATE and "FLOOD THE MANA CANNON WITH SEAAAAA WATERRRRR" and suplexing a loving living hell train.

I meant in this game. Watching someone who is normally a complete bozo do something extremely awesome is ALWAYS great to see.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

OminousEdge posted:

I meant in this game. Watching someone who is normally a complete bozo do something extremely awesome is ALWAYS great to see.

Cutscene badasses are dumb. Besides, this happened immediately after Lita got a hat that prevents paralysis.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

OminousEdge posted:

I would normally agree with Serious Frolicking here but we DID just get out of a fight with Beggur where his attacks were a serious threat, so seeing him able to dispel cutscene-paralysis(gently caress you, JRPGs) and deal a real pile of damage to the boss was pretty cool.

But I mean, it's no Veola-blatantly-trying-to-kill-Lita.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, you could only transform one Mana at a time before? Dang.

And we still don't have a Time Element Mana?

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

Update 39: Ups and Downs

Good news, everyone! Our town square, while permanently scarred, has once again gained its capacity to spontaneously generate boxes for our destructive pleasure! I should have known the game would come through for us. :)

Flight offers a couple new avenues through the sewers (we could reach Pamela's spot before, I just wanted to show that she's come back to Kavoc after her stuff in Alexia Cave). If you fail to kill any of the Growloons during the actual attack on Kavoc bit, they're still hanging around down here, so I took the opportunity to kill off the rest. Sadly, Norman's RIP GRWLN journal is missing at the moment (I think the game still thinks we're in the “attack on Kavoc” stage until I go to Iris' Resting Place, and thus is locking me out of some stuff – not really sure, though) so I can't check on how well I'm doing or get rewards.

Speaking of Norman...

Atelier Norman: Infinite Death

Music: Sleeping Reality

I can't say this loud...so come here. I have a dangerous sounding job for you.

Hm...I've never seen you like this, old man. It must be pretty bad.

I know this isn't really your thing...but there's nobody else I can trust with it right now.

So we should be honored that you thought of us, huh?

My client wants me to make poisoned food...for a large banquet. I normally wouldn't even consider it, but the client's a regular.

Baji Poison is a reasonably common drop from...uh, some enemy somewhere, I want to say it's the little guys with axes at Ka Luda's Playground. The other ingredients are Norman's own recipes.

Here's the ultimate in poison dishes...I call it The Last Supper.

Just looking at it makes me want to pass out.

I'm sure it tastes good. Want to try some?

No thanks, I-I'm good.

Hmph...Well maybe you could use it as a weapon – force the enemy to eat it.

I've probably said something along this line before, but I love that Norman is both the nicest, most pleasant character in the game, and also a professional killer. This also marks two major synthesis characters who have casually suggested that Lita eat something they know will kill her.

Now that we have The Last Supper, we can replace Powder with it in the recipe, and...

Huh? You guys wanted an even more poisonous dish?

Uh...we didn't now this was going to happen.

This can't be considered The Last Supper any longer...Now it's Purgaroni! It would probably make you suffer even after death.

Purgaroni's effect is “incapacitate”. I didn't get a chance to see if I can straight up kill enemies with it or not, but I want to try it out.

That's it for Norman today. Let's see how Blaire's doing over in Arcose.

Atelier Blaire: The Problem With Salt and Sugar

Hello!

You're lucky you came in today, Klein. Have some ice cream, on me.

It's been really hot lately, so I had her make some ice cream. It's good.

Yeah, it is!

Looks like it was a lucky day.

Mmm...That was great.

Are you going to sell any of this?

:siren: Music: Future :siren:

(I don't know why this song plays during this scene but it's great and you should listen to it).

Did you get the owner's permission to make ice cream?

No...I can't make or sell it. It's just bread for me. The owner's very old fashioned. She believes bakeries must not make anything but bread. I think we could make some money with sweets, though. That's why I make them in secret. Plus, I get good bread ideas from sugary recipes. I'm trying to find the fine line between sweets and breads.

I'm impressed your working so hard.

Yeah, me too.

Of course you are! With this bakery, I will...once again... … … …

...Uh, Blaire?

Oh, I'm sorry. I was just...thinking about long ago. Here, Hute, please take some of this ice cream to Villa. She doesn't like the heat, so this will probably help her cool off.

Thanks!

You're giving Villa ice cream? That's really nice of you.

See? You are friends, meow!

N-No, that's not it! Villa just...gets irritable in the heat. Yeah, I'm saving myself some trouble.

We decided that ice cream and Leheruun Cream are the same thing, right? Shouldn't this also be dangerous for Lita to eat? I guess it doesn't matter now that she's got her energy source back.

Back to Kavoc...

Atelier Veola: Same Ingredients, Different Results

Music: Cute Witch

I can.

Do you know how to make a Sitar?

...A sitar? I'm afraid I've never heard of that instrument.

Norman showed one to us the other day. It had a very beautiful sound...

Apparently the tone differs depending on who made it.

I'd love to hear your tone, Veola...if you ever made one.

:allears:

Huh?

I'd...like to play my sitar for you, Klein...

Um...

Do you have any idea what you're doing?

If I make a list of materials, could you find them for me?

How can you make a list of materials if you've never heard of it before?

I'll ask Mr. Norman later.

...You might have to go outside. You do know that, right?

One of the game's charms is how it increases and decreases font size to indicate volume. It does it infrequently enough so it doesn't get annoying, and I personally like it more than CAPSLOCK.

Apparently Veola made good on her plan to ask Norman – their Sitar recipes are identical.

Here's a Sitar.

Are you sure...? It doesn't look like Norman's sitar.

He's the one who showed me how to make them. It should be identical to his.

I think Norman's got more style...The instrument's body looks wrong. Hey, why don't we call this one the Imitation Sitar?

It still sound cute...I guess.

You should pay me to name things for you.

I dunno, Norman's looked sort of goofy to me. I'm not really an expert on instrument design though, so I don't have any business talking about what's what. By the way, Veola's Sitar also has the Incapacitate effect. Yikes.

In the meantime I revisited a few other old recipes and got some new stuff out of them.

Remember the Fairy Clothes and Fairy Hat? I decided to try out one of my rather rare Twisted Landos in the recipe alongside some other higher quality ingredients, and...

heart-pounding

Hmm...this doesn't resemble Fairy Clothes very much anymore.

Um...There's sheer, and then there's just plain see-through.

Whoa! Talk about lingerie! Hey Lita, why don't you give us a little modeling show?

Shut up, you perv!

Perhaps he's right...I'll call this the Sexy Robe.

Then I used one of my also fairly rare Gold Legiens for the Spike Bomb (Hute gave me a bunch earlier so I can afford to spend a few), and...

I'm done. This bomb's even stronger than the Spike Bomber. Naturally I gave it a stronger name.

So we're talking Extreme Rad Spike Bomb to the MAX!!?

Don't be ridiculous. Just listen to the name...It's called the Hyper Spike. See, the “hyper” indicates superior capabilities.

...You know what? If it requires an explanation, just name it something different.

I'm sorry to report that this game does not include an actual item called Extreme Rad Spike Bomb to the MAX!! That could have been pretty great.

And now for a non-synth scene that triggered during this update...

Music: Sadness is Whisked Away By the Wind

Would you like to inherit my shop?

Inherit...What are you talking about?

I may be gone soon, so...

Are you moving away?

Of course not – that would involve going outside. I'm referring to my death.

Your...death!?

Are you really that surprised?

Don't talk about stuff like that!

I was not joking. I've considered this for a long time. If I died now, I would have no regrets...I believe that, sometimes, death serves a purpose.

Stop talking like that! You shouldn't think about death! If something's bothering you, I want you to talk to me about it, okay?

Heh...You've always been kind, Mr. Klein. That must be why I like you so much.

Please don't die, Veola. Without you this game wouldn't be worth playing. I mean, the other synthers are cool and Mofuma's the cutest thing since Winnie the Pooh, but you're what holds this game together and I don't want to have to continue it without you. :(

Music: The Laughable Pair

Oh, hello. I was about to bake a cake.

That sounds like fun.

You want to try it? It's actually pretty hard.

Come on, Norn, Marietta...Let's give it a shot!

Why must I help?

Doesn't it sound like fun, Norn?

...Not as fun as eating it, meow.

Hold on a minute...Only one person can try.

Just one? Oh...Who wants to do it?

You're the one who wanted to, Lita.

No, no...That's no good. We have to decide this fairly.

… …

I don't know what Lita's thinking trying to back out of this all of the sudden. She gets to do it.

Okay, I'm sorry everyone. I'll just try it myself.

Okay, let's begin. First, we have to make the batter...

Hmm...It should be sweeter.

Now we put the batter into a pattern. Divide it up a few times.

Careful...I did it!

The screen switches to show Lita and Blaire at the oven.

Finished.

It looks a lot better than I was expecting.

Let's call everyone in to try it.

Looks normal enough.

It should taste as good as it looks. Try it!...So, how is it?

...Salty.

What!? That can't be right...*cough* Oh wow...it is salty...

Odd...I gave you all the ingredients.

Well, I wanted it to be extra sweet, so I used that white powder over there.

… …

Shoot, I screwed it up...Klein, why are you still eating it?

I don't like to waste food.

...Uhkay.

Do you have any idea how strange you are?

I've actually made this mistake in reverse. When I was a kid I dumped sugar all over a burger and fries thinking it was salt. Such a waste...

Also, that's two pretty good scenes with Blaire but still no new recipes. She better not be waiting for me to improve the quality of her food again.

Our next stop is the Animal Village. Before we synth stuff, check out this accessory I found with the power of flight.

That's FOUR Battle Lord PWR on Lita now – or +140 ATK and HP just from equipment effects. And Murder Mode just inflates that attack power even further. :love:

Atelier Totopop & Mofuma: Data Storage Device

Music: Animal Village

You humans are coming here often to be the regular customers? Let us having the tea party...since you are regulars, yes? I would liking if you tried my favorite, the Bagel Sandwish.

Yay, meow!

… …

What's the matter?

...I am lacking the ingredients at this time.

Shoot, meow!

If you humans are bringing me ingredients, I can make sandwiches for all!

This is another pretty straightforward recipe, though as you can see it's also yet another of Mofuma's items that needs help from a human chef.

Perhaps I am the too long baking.

You scorched it pretty good, but it's not a lost cause.

No way, meow! It tastes like ashes!

I am having the idea. Why not use this as boomerang?

I dunno...It's still edible. Would it really hurt anyone?

This being my greatest weapon so far! I call it Burnt Bagel, yes?

Atelier Iris: The game where even bread can be weaponized. I think Blaire is the only synther so far who hasn't made something seemingly benign that that was actually intended for combat. That will change.

Totopop didn't have any new scenes, but I do have that Gear sans-gear whatsit so I can make some new stuff.

I made a Rainbow Disk, po! Mystical beasts use these disks to record their diaries, po. Many words and drawing can be stored on just one disk.

That doesn't make sense...They're so small!

Mystical beasts are good at compressing our data. These disks can hold a gig of information.

...What are you talking about?

The thing I love about Totopop isn't so much that he kind of but not quite breaks the fourth wall with this improbable technology, but that he doesn't really seem to get that no one else understands what he's saying.

The Organite requires a Gold Handle or a Broken Handle. I think this is the only recipe that calls for either one, so you might as well use a gold if you have one. Cold Cogs can be bought form the Mana shopkeeper, and Golden Gears are sold by Delsus' Grandma in Duran. I think this is the only recipe that requires either of those things, as well. And, of course, it indirectly requires a Cueparts and a Gear sans-gear via the Rainbow Disk. I think (but am not totally sure) that the Gear sans-gear I found above Veola's shop is the only one in the game, which would subsequently mean you can only make one Rainbow Disk and one Organite if I am correct.

Sweet, an Organite, po! I've already put a song on it that I thought you'd like. Ancient people used to sing this song several hundred years apo! I bet a song like this could lull you to sleep forever!

Sounds interesting, but I feel like this might end up being in my “too rare to use” set of items.

Okay, I guess it's time to proceed with the mai-

ATELIER OSCAR: A FEAST FIT FOR A KING

Music: Albion

How'd you make a full-course meal without proper cooking utensils?

My eyes have been opened...cooking isn't about fancy contraptions. It's about the heart of the chef, the strength of his blade, and this iron plate! It's a mountain's worth of food, but my pride in it reaches to the heavens! If you manage to eat all this, you'll know your true strength.

And thus we are done with Atelier Oscar. Shangri-La boosts Max HP to go with Chubby Bunny's boost to Max MP. I wound up giving them both to Marietta because I could.

Incidentally, Oscar actually had a Chubby Bunny available for sale. I really wasn't expecting to ever be able to buy either of these, I figured I'd have to synth them all. Nifty.

By the way, Lector's caravan has an ever increasing group of these curious Puni statues, which I believe appear as you find more and more items and show them to her. Once there are enough, you can climb high enough to reach this Jade Mana.

Duran also has a couple more common Mana Stones (and a semi-rare Glowing one) on a rooftop we can reach with flight.

Okay, main plot for real this time.

Music: Beat of the Rumbling Earth

...I finally found you. You're going to hell for what you did to my kind.

Arlin...What a surprise. I thought you'd run out of power by now. Do you honestly believe you can stop me? You're not even human.

Mull summons a cat. The game actually transitions into a battle screen just to show Arlin killing it, then comes back to cutscene mode for the rest. Yep.

You can't kill me with parlor tricks, Mull.

Perhaps you're right. It seems you've improved.

Mull reappears, clearly unharmed by Arlin's Flashy Attack.

Mull...You bastard!

You shouldn't be surprised. I'm the greatest alchemist in the world. Creating doubles is simple...or perhaps you're so defective that you couldn't notice the difference.

… ...

Arlin ignores his friend and unleashes another super move at his nemesis...

… ...

If that was your first attack, it might have killed me. But it's all over, now. You can rot on the scrap heap with your brothers.

You first, you son of a-

You...!

I won't let you interfere with my plans!

Mull teleports away...

No...I needed more time...

The bizarre effect happens to Arlin again...

Meow! Arlin's turning to stone!

Where's...Mull? Go! There's still...time!

But Arlin-

...and again...

It's already too late to save me! Finish what I started...I'm counting on you...

And so we follow Mull into the final dungeon.

...Arlin?...You rescued me from Mull. I never really thanked you...

Arlin, it's time I repaid your kindness.

You know.

I don't mean to kill the mood here.

But we did spend most of an update getting a Mana Item that cures petrification.

Just a thought.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Overrated Sage posted:

Looks normal enough.

It should taste as good as it looks. Try it!...So, how is it?

...Salty.

What!? That can't be right...*cough* Oh wow...it is salty...

Odd...I gave you all the ingredients.

Well, I wanted it to be extra sweet, so I used that white powder over there.

… …

Shoot, I screwed it up...Klein, why are you still eating it?

I don't like to waste food.

...Uhkay.

Do you have any idea how strange you are?

[i]I've actually made this mistake in reverse. When I was a kid I dumped sugar all over a burger and fries thinking it was salt. Such a waste...

Yeaaah, one of the easiest mistakes to make. While you CAN tell a difference between salt and sugar just by looking at it, it's not 100% reliable, especially if you're using coarser grinds of salt. If you work with bags of the stuff (for example in a bake shop where you can go through 100 lbs of sugar and 20 lbs of salt in a week) after a while you get in the habit of just tasting it to double check yourself.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Sadly, Plotstone is ten times as dense as regular stone and no ordinary item is going to get through it.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Even if we defeat Mull and save the world or whatever, if Leola dies we've still lost. :(

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
When in doubt, crank up shop ratings; though I wouldn't be surprised if opening up the final dungeon unlocked more scenes in and of itself.

Pretty sure Blaire should have more recipes available by now; I recall her giving me at least one that required end-game Turn 2 Candy results a few dungeons back(bundled in with other, more achievable, recipes), not to mention those... other things.

Unoriginal One fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 11, 2014

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

I went on a bit of a synthing spree, and, well, I kind of went crazy with it so I have an asston of synthing and other scenes with out beloved shopkeepers, as well as a sidequest or two. I've said this before and I have to repeat it, but it's amazing how the synthesis aspect of the game can get really addictive. I mean, I actually reached that point of "I should stop. Nah, I'll do one more recipe. Nah, I'll do one more recipe. One more recipe. One more. Oooooone mooooooore"

Curiously, Blaire decided to throw a bunch of recipes at me without needing much encouragement, while Veola decided to hold back until I went and explored for a while. It's funny, the best moments in this game are synthing (and possibly Beggur) and the worst moments are when you want to synth and nobody will let you. :(

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013
You know, since Lita is an artificial construct that only really seems to need a Ruby Prism to live, would any poisons anyone tries to give her really kill her?

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

I don't think the Ruby Prism is the ONLY thing she needs, it's just an additional thing. She'd still die if her heart or brain stopped working, so if a poison could facilitate that process then it would still kill her.

I mean, I guess I don't have any context to back that claim up other than that she can commit suicide by eating Rosie Ann Bun E. It's just what makes sense to me.

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

Update 40: Get Smart

This is the final dungeon.

Okay, that's enough main plot. Let's synth some more! :v:

Atelier Blaire: Bakery/Armory

Music: Popcorn Strategy

Gah! You scared me!

I just had an epiphany! The world is more dangerous every day. Bakeries should make more than just bread! From now on, our bakery will also sell protective gear!

So, what, you're an armory now?

Huh? Of course not. We're a bakery. I've simply decided to use my baking skills to create breads that will protect the wearer. There's already too many monsters around! We should all pitch in to solve the problem.

Bread...wearer? Are you sure about this?

I've never been more sure. As of today, we have a new product line! There's bread you eat, and there's bread that protects you! Behold, Operation: Fresh Baked Weapons!

I'm not so sure about this.

This is going to get pretty weird. First off, let's try out this “wearing bread” concept by applying bread to leggings.

“too sticky”. :cripes:

Here's my latest – you won't find it anywhere else. I call it Fried Bread...Well, it's Bread Pants.

If you're too embarrassed to say it, it was probably a bad idea.

Hmph, nevermind! It's a double-serving item. You can wear it for protection, or eat it if you're hungry.

But if we eat our pants, what are we supposed to wear?

I didn't expect you to have such a dirty mind, Mr. Klein.

Wait, what? No...I didn't mean it like that!

Hmm...could be worse I guess, but the Gogo Suit is pretty old and it still has better stat boosts. I'm curious about Fight&Eat, though. Do you regenerate HP while wearing the pants? If you wait long enough, do the pants disappear?

Heh...”Offensive” in more ways that one, I expect. Let's start with the bun.

Here's the latest advance in culinary weaponry, the fabulous Rock Bread!

Hmm...Are you sure it's not just a rock you picked up somewhere?

Can't you recognize fine workmanship when you see it? I made this form scratch! Here, eat it!

I don't think so, meow! I'd break my tiny teeth!

You're probably right...But, it's a weapon. You don't eat it.

...Couldn't we just throw a rock?

Quiet! Just take this, already...

And now we can turn our rock bread into a new item with a few other materials. Note the Metal Pipe, a rare case where food synthers need something from Veola's store.

New weapon time! Only I could make special Smash Bread!

Looks like a club. Getting hit with this would really hurt.

That's the whole point! What kind of weapon wouldn't hurt someone?

It's too hard to eat, though.

Meow...I don't think bread makes a very good weapon...

Nasty Pleasure? But I already have a Bunny Suit.

Anyway, as you might guess, Blaire's armaments are kinda crap, although I still sort of suspect that their special properties might give them some niche use or something. I'm pretty sure Delsus can equip one of them, so I might let him try one out if not simply so I can laugh at the idea of him firing crossbow bolts out of a lump of bread.

Now let's switch gears for a moment...

Atelier Norman: Drunk as the Gods Get, Yes?

I never thought I'd tell anyone this, but...I've had a dream ever since I opened up the bar. Now I've decided to make my dream a reality.

A dream?

There's a rare drink called the Smartini. It's difficult to make, but I want to try.

That'd be awesome. How can I help?

In ancient times, the Smartini was rumored to bestow eternal life. I already have the recipe, but the ingredients are hard to find...I don't want to jinx it by telling people my plans, but I realized that maybe you guys could find the ingredients I need. I can trust you guys with my secret, right? This is just a hobby of mine, though, so you don't need to rush. I can't afford to offer a huge reward, but I'd still appreciate your help.

And there you have it, Norman's ultimate recipe. Indeed, I have the ability to make every last thing on his menu now. We'll get to the Smartini itself in a moment, but first let's start with some old recipe variants I missed.

First of all, there's a variant of his plain old drink set that I missed before. If we use Garigari Nuts to make it, we get the all new...

How about this Garigari Liquor?

Ugh...I can tell it's bitter just by looking at it!

Now we're talking! Pour me a glass!

I'm a little hungry, so give me a burger and some lando juice.

First you hate sweet...now it's too bitter? Barkeep, another!

Wow, you sure do pack it in.

Mind your own business!

Take it easy...But you could eat Klein under the table. S'all I'm saying.

You...do I?

Do you what? I'm not sure I followed that conversation correctly. At any rate, let's move on to some foodstuffs.

I thought I tried all of the possible combinations of fish earlier, but it turns out I missed out on a sashimi dish. Behold!

Whoa...this one looks...Oh...I'll just call it Black Sashimi.

Eyuck! Just looking at it made me lose my appetite!

It's too fatty...I wouldn't recommend it...

But it has Fish Island in it, how could it be bad?

There's also one more mushroom recipe – however, to complete that one I'm going to have to make a quick stop somewhere else...

Atelier Totopop & Mofuma: Hotter Than Hot

Music: Dota!

Remember the Nekotreat, cat dessert extraordinaire? It actually has a couple of variants that I had forgotten about, and one of them is rather important. Let's see what we can make out of this.

Spicy? But it looks like it's supposed to be ice cream or something. I don't know if this was a good idea...

It is done, yes? The favorite treat of all, Nekotreat...But it is not looking the normal.

Looks a little too red...I think...

I will try the small bite, I think...

Are you alright?

It is the spicy hot...It is now called Hot Nekotreat, yes?

Hmm...well, that can't be it. Let's experiment a little more.

spicy death

It is done, yes? The favorite treat of all, Nekotreat...But it is not looking the normal.

Well...It's emitting it's own natural heat.

Meowch! The spicy smell hurts my nosey...

I will be trying the small bite...

WAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!

Are you alright?

I can feel the insides of my being slowly melting from the hotness of this...This...Nekotreat EX.

...Right, I think we've put poor Mofuma through enough for today. I have what I need now, so back to Norman's we go.

If we stick the Nekotreat EX in a mushroom recipe...

I'm not sure even Delsus could handle this one...I present Manly Fungos.

Ewwwww!! My nose is crying tears of kitty snot!

Remind me to add that to my list of sentences I never needed to hear.

What is this, Cajun? You just grilled it til it was black.

...Just try it.

Okay...I accept your challenge!

Predictably...

...Delsus ends up on fire.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! W-WATER...I need water...now

I probably shouldn't serve that...If it nearly killed Delsus...*sniff*

I can't tell if the sniff is to suggest that Norman is sad he can't serve the meal or trying to suggest that he's laughing.

And now for Norman's ultimate item! Both the Nectar and the God's Dance are stuff we synthed with Mofuma (and which both required things Norman himself made – the Herbal Elixir for Nectar and both the Demon Slave and Dragon Slayer for God's Dance). I still happen to have one of each in my inventory, so...

At long last, I've made it...Smartini, the ultimate cocktail!

So...That was your ultimate goal?

Yes...The ingredients are so rare that most bartenders never get to make one. But, I can! I just did! Thank you for finding the ingredients for me. I appreciate it...You helped me out so much; order whatever you want! Everything's on the house today!

Heh...That's MY ultimate goal!

All-you-can-eat! Yay!

Is it really that great?

It's too bad you can't drink, man! You'll just have to eat as much as you can instead! Haaaa ha ha ha!

Way ahead of you!

You might want to slow down, Lita. You're already looking a little chubby.

I am not!

You sure? Looks to me like you're growing an extra chin. Right, Klein?

Don't drag me into this...

You're a liar, Delsus! Isn't that right, Klein?

Er...well, it wouldn't be so bad if you had a little more meat on your bones.

Meat!? Gaaahh! You're such an idiot, Klein!

You really are an idiot...The first rule of talking to women is they are NEVER fat! Even if they're huge...don't you know that?

… …

I think technically Klein was telling Lita it would be okay if she overate because she's too thin, which is still insulting and Klein is still an idiot.

The Smartini offers a boost to Skill Points, allowing a character of your choice to make a little progress on leveling up abilities. It's a nice bonus, and they're not really all that hard to make if you're just hellbent on maxing out everyone's skills as soon as you can. I also gave this to Marietta because apparently she's just the character I'm giving all my stat boosters to (although in fairness, she probably does want it the most thanks to her late joining level and subsequent lack of skill points to spend).

As I said, that also means the end of Atelier Norman. I'm sure we'll stop by his place every now and again to stock up, and of course I have to visit once or twice more to check on RIP GRWLN, so we should still run into him before the game ends. For now, though, it's time to go back to Arcose.

Uh...are your lips swollen?

Must be your imagination. Here, I have something for you. This is the bread that Hute requested.

Meow! I'll try it!

I have a bad feeling about this...!

!!!!!

AAAAHHHHHH!! Too hot!!!

Meow! Hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot!

What kind of bread is that?

Oh, it just has a little spicy cream inside. Hute said it was great, but I wasn't going to fall for that. I think I'll add it to the menu, just in case.

Huh, apparently this is the spicy foods update. As you can see, I need to use our latest bread weapon to make this.

Have a 12-Alarm Sandwich. I can't believe I'm making this. You can't eat this whole thing can you?

I figured it might be useful in battle.

I guess you're right...This bread is super spicy!

I dunno about that, it's just spicy food. Maybe it could work like a breath attack.

This was around the point where people started stalling on new recipes, so I decided to run around and see what I could get with Flight. Since I was in the area, I ran over to the Valiant Path and grabbed what I believe is the last Mana Item, the Basilisk Eye. It inflicts paralysis and maybe stone. Not that interesting if you ask me, but it probably has good applications I never bothered to figure out. There was also a Growloon up in this final area that I killed.

Alexia Cave also has this side area that has a few semi-rare Mana Stones that were worth grabbing.

That probably took enough time/generated enough battles. Let's see if Blaire's got anything new.

Music: Sadness is Whisked Away by the Wind

Ah! Klein!?...Why do I keep doing this?

You know, you can tell us if something's bothering you.

Oh, no, I'm fine. Really!

You were staring out the window...You miss your home, don't you?

NO! Of course not...

Okay, nevermind then.

I'm sorry for worrying you. I'm fine, really. Don't worry. You came here to shop, right?

Hmm...Blaire doesn't have anything more to say about it. Perhaps it's time we paid a visit to Villa.

Huh? Why?

Sometimes I see her staring out the window. She looks really sad.

Hmm...I see. But if Blaire doesn't want to talk about it, I can't really tell you. I can't believe she's still...It's been a long time. Next time you see Blaire, could you give her this candy?

...Candy?

Blaire loves this candy. If she's acting strange, let her have some, okay?

Okay? I guess as long as Klein doesn't tell Blaire that it's from her number one most loathed Arcosian, everything should-

Hey, I have...candy...for you. It's, uh...from Villa.

You can keep it! I don't want any of her stupid candy.

Well, I'm not that big on candy, so...I'll just leave it here. If you don't eat it, that's fine.

… …

...And that's the entire scene. Didn't Klein do the exact same thing with Veola? He brought her something, she rejected it, and he left it anyway saying if she didn't want to keep it that was fine but he didn't want it, either, or some such. As clueless as he can be, I think that tactic works reasonably well.

Unfortunately, Blaire still wouldn't add anything new to the menu after that scene, so let's make one last stop by Mofuma's.

If we take Blaire's latest bread/weapon/spicy death to Mofuma and use it in the Burnt Bagel recipe, we'll get something different.

Is everything alright? You look sad.

Many apologies...I burnt the bagel for you due to lacking the attention.

Well...yeah. You really toasted that sucker. I barely recognize it.

I am having the idea. Why not use this as boomerang? I shall be calling this new weapon Toasted Bagel. They will be the fear.

Mofuma remains the cutest. And now for our last trip of the update...

Well, you're in a good mood today.

Heh...the owner might allow me to make sweets. I begged and begged, and she said I could make them under one condition.

What is it?

I just have to make one that blows her away.

I get it. It's sort of like a graduation exam.

I'm sure you can do it!

Is there anything Norn can do to help, meow?

Thank you all.

Heh, those two are up for anything, as long as it means more sweets.

What was that?

I'm going to ace this exam! Once I do, Blaire's Sweet Parlor is open for business! I have a few different recipes in mind, I just need the ingredients...I can't put them on the actual menu yet, but I'll make whatever sweets you need.

Join me next time for sweets galore, and possibly some Other Stuff!

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Overrated Sage posted:

I am having the idea. Why not use this as boomerang? I shall be calling this new weapon Toasted Bagel. They will be the fear.

Oh yes.
They will be the fear.

It's Maoufuma.

Raitzeno fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 17, 2014

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I think somebody is going to have to hit the Japanese wikis to find out what the Smash Bread does, all I can find about "nasty" or "pleasure" is that a guy playing around with a hex editor got nasty on a mana crystal called nasusu tecto and it seems to debuff mind.
The pants on the other hand just regen 6 hp a round.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
I suppose Klein could be saying that he's not gonna judge Lita based on her weight at all, but if so he certainly picked the worst possible phrasing. Which suits him.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The only thing worse than PMS Lita is Blaire's angry face. It's just so small and ready to explode, like she's Lita in shopkeeper form.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how Mofuma's onomatopoeia is still in his accent.

*the sigh, yes?*

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

Update 41: Hardcore Archery Beatdown

I'm making some good progress with Lector. I'm not really big on concept art stuff like this, but some of these have been kinda cool.

Atelier Blaire: Sweet Dreams are Made of This

Music: Small Workshop

We might as well jump right in to yet more synthesis. Blaire added five new recipes last time, so let's get started.

Here, try a Caramel Cube.

Hey, it's hard.

Well, yeah, it's hard candy. It lasts for a long time so it's good for long trips.

The Caramel Cube is important for a couple of Mofuma's recipes which we'll get to in a moment. The recipe also has a variant...

If we use a Lando in the recipe...

Here, try some Twister Candy! Looks tasty, huh?

It looks really yummy, meow!

Ha ha ha! It looks a lot more natural when Norn's holding it!

More...natural, meow?

Hey, he's right! That does look kinda cute.

Meow! Stop teasing me! Hmph...

Aw, c'mon, we didn't mean it like that!

The Twister Candy is also used in a recipe for Mofuma. We'll have to be sure and visit him later, but Blaire has plenty more to make for the moment. Next up, we have...

...The Salty Fries, which curiously don't require salt and can get better quality with other powders – including sugar, of course.

Have you ever had Salty Fries? Honestly, I don't really like them.

Oh hey, these are great. Now I just need a beer.

Isn't this supposed to be about making sweets? I'm not even sure I'd really qualify fries as a baked good. I mean, they're called fries because you fry them.

(said the LPer who's greatest culinary achievement is Hamburger Helper).

Next is Animal Crackers. Do most animal crackers have Soju in them? That seems a bit arbitrary.

Aaand...done! Here's your Animal Crackers. They're...not really my style, but I make what you ask me to.

Well...I know one girl who likes these......Me. *munch munch*

They aren't shaped like animals, either. This whole set of recipes is just a big sham, isn't it? :colbert:

Next is the cheesecake. We need one of Norman's drinks for this. I chose Stardust because it seemed like the most desserty drink.

Here's a Cheesecake, just for you! Making all this, it feels like I'm running a cake shop.

It didn't look too complicated. I bet I could make one.

Do you have any idea what you're talking about? Cheesecake is incredibly hard to make!

...Really?

Absolutely! It needs just a tang of sourness. Then the tart has to be perfect...And it has to be soft as a pillow! It can't be crunchy at all. But if you get it right, it's divine!

Yeah...I guess that's pretty complicated.

I'm just saying – it isn't easy.

How has Blaire not killed someone yet?

Finally, we have the Snickerdoodle. This requires Blaire's own White Love and Mofuma's Nectar – neither can be substituted.

Alright, it's done! This is a very expensive treat called the Snickerdoodle.

Expensive? It looks like an ordinary cookie to me...

Yeah, just a cookie, meow.

*sigh* You're hopeless. How can you not see the difference? Usually only society's elite have the privilege of tasting Snickerdoodles.

...But...It's just a cookie...

That's it for Blaire's new recipes. But, you know, she still has that Wedding Cake recipe lying around, and I think I might be able to scrounge up all the stuff I need for it...

To Mofuma's![/i]

Atelier Totopop & Mofuma: Mystical Desserts

First off, we have yet another food based item that requires Veola's Metal Pipe. I...don't think I want to eat anything that has metal in it, but different strokes for different teddy bears.

Here being a Flute Candy. Is it candy that is flute? Or flute that is candy? Playing while eating is fun. Its sound being changed as you eat!

Meow! It's candy and it's fun!

You may damage enemies that don't like the high tones, yes?

:black101::hf::toot:

Next up we've got Tiramisu. Every last ingredient in this is made by another shopkeeper.

Tiramisu is being the done, yes? This is the popular dessert.

Meow! Looks pretty good!

It's like a cake with pie inside...

With that powdered crust this'll be one messy dessert.

Maybe I should have named this the Most Delicious Update. I'm seriously considering making a ten o'clock grocery store run to get some Oreos or something just because of all this stuff I'm writing about.

“Hard” AND “Hard Texture”. I'm not so sure about this pudding.

Try some Unipuni Pudding. It won the gold medal at last year's Annual Mystical Beast Sweet Baking Contestorama!

Mystical Beast...wha?

Since we are the loving of sweets, we hold contest every year. All the beasts must like the food for it to be gold medal. That is why the value.

Even I don't like sweets THAT much.

And so we finish yet another synther's story. Mofuma has no more recipes for us, but I'll still stop by and make/buy a few more of his treats. Also, I forgot to mention this earlier, but Nectar is one of the only ways for a non-Klein character to revive other people, so I'm definitely going to stock up on these since Klein likes to die a lot and he's in charge of resurrection.

Music: Klein and his Pleasant Friends

Now we have everything we need for one of Blaire's major recipes. By Blaire and Mofuma's combined talents, we have...

I finally did it! I baked a Wedding Cake!

I'm getting emotional just looking at it!

Who could eat a whole wedding cake, meow?

Here, I'll cut the cake, and we can all try some. Klein, would you allow me the honor of cutting this cake with you?

What!? Why me?

Yeah! Why'd you choose Klein so fast?

Do you want to do it with Klein? I don't mind...Here's the knife.

Ahem...It's okay...I'm no good at cutting cakes.

Wait, wait meow! I can cut the wedding cake with Klein!

Norn!

Heh...Looks like you're a popular guy, Klein!

I guess it's time for Veola's “For Blaire” recipe (Baking Powder + Big Bomb + Spike Bomber + Ingredient X = Yeastsplosive).

Actually I haven't checked in on Veola in a while. Let's go see how she's doing.

Atelier Veola: Kiss Me, I'm a Vampire

Music: Voiceless Poem

Norman told me something interesting the other day. Apparently there's a book of magic spells similar to the ones I use. I think that book might hold the details of the Chronolex. It's supposed to be in a dangerous place...very far from here.

...Where is that?

It's called the Flawless Marvel. There are stones there, similar to the ones in my shop. The book should be there as well. At least, that's what I heard.

Okay. If we go there, I'll try to find it for you.

...Thank you.

...Klein?

Hm?

I'm counting on you.

Right, so, I already have that book – it's been sitting around in my inventory since our first visit, and I was wondering why we hadn't given it to her yet. Unfortunately, even after boosting quality and stuff she still wouldn't trigger the scene where we actually give her the book.

Then I figured I might as well go back anyway, just to make super ultra sure I got it. Like I said, I already had, but as I flew around I found this new weapon I couldn't reach before.

...Hmm. I don't know if I like that or not. The ATK boost is meaningless and the MAG boost trivial, but the resistances are nice. I don't know if they're nice enough to justify such a huge hit to MP, though. Holy Power is a minor HP/MP regen per turn, so that helps too. I went ahead and had Klein equip this.

At any rate, either the game expected me to go back to the Marvel regardless, or I just happened to spend enough time/battles to trigger Veola's next scene.

Guess what I brought you, Veola!

A ring?

:argh:

Er, no...it's the book you asked us to find. This is it, right?

Oh...

So...? Is that the one?

This is fantastic! Thank you. With this information, I should be able to create the Chronolex!

Yeah, well you'd better appreciate this!

And we...still have no new recipes. I guess we'll have to wait for yet another scene to trigger. In the meantime, I have a few odds and ends recipes for Veola, so let's try some of those out.

Bombs and Medicine are a little weird in that Veola has them for sale on the menu from the outset, but you can also synth them (and subsequently adjust their quality; there's a whole weird thing about Bomb quality, but we'll talk about that later). Altering the Medicine recipe got me Blue Bull. Altering the Bomb recipe got me Big Bombs, but if we use Silver Legiens we can make something else...

Music: Cute Witch

Here's an Icy Bomb.

So you just called it an Icy Bomb, huh?

Of course. It differentiates the Icy version from normal bombs.

Do you hate coming up with names or something?

Yes, actually.

*sigh*

And now for a particularly bizarre one. Remember good ol' Farewell, Pain and Crazy Bull!? Well, a new potential ingredient has cropped up besides plain Medicine or Blue Bull that I can use instead.

Time to put those death pills to use!

Here's a Vampire's Kiss.

How do we use this one?

Hmm...I don't know.

Well, what's it do?

Don't really know that, either.

How can you not know? You're the one who made it!

The one thing I do know is you can use this to make another item. I just sort of gave it a random name; it doesn't actually mean anything.

Yeah, I figured.

I think Veola's got this backwards. The Vampire's Kiss is an HP drain attack item, but as best I can tell there are no recipes that can include it. Well, whatever.

That's it for synthing today, but I have one more special sidequest to show off. It's a rare sidequest that doesn't just throw Mana Stones at us as a reward, and it's one of the more important ones to tackle. It's time to head back to Lake Forwel...

Music: Lakeside

What's on your mind, gramps?

I'd like some milk...Maybe you could get me some?

Milk...Like from one of those cows out there, right?

I'll give you a reward, of course.

… ...

It sounds easy enough. Let's do the old man a favor.

Standing here thinking about it is just wasting time.

Okay, okay, let's do this.

Momo the Cow: Mooooo!

You're awfully good at that, Delsus.

You don't sound impressed...Let's get this back to grandpa.

Hmm? Let's see...What kind of prank is this!? This isn't what I asked for! I asked for some of Gemlis' special fresh sliced fish from the lake! This isn't a game, dagnabbit!

Yep, it's one of those fetch quests.

What!? What are YOU trying to pull, old man?

It's right over there...Let's just do it.

I think grandpa just wants attention, meow.

...Man, he's just playing you girls.

Some old man asked us to pick up some of your fresh fish.

Heh...That sounds like him, all right. Hold on just a sec. All right, here y'go.

Oh wow, it's gorgeous!

Fresh and tasty, yummy yummy meow!

I'm not really a chef...but this is one dish I can handle. That old man loves it, too. His feedback is really encouraging.

Okay, maybe we'll stop by again later.

Thanks for coming. See ya.

Hmm? Let's see...Noooo. What is wrong with you?

What!?

I asked for one simple thing: an herbal cocktail. Is that so hard?

You keep changing your mind! You don't even know what you're talking about.

The owner of the bar in Kavoc makes me a special herbal cocktail. If I miss drinking it for a day, it takes one year off my life.

… …

I'm going to keep running his drat errands until he's satisfied!

D-Delsus!?

meow...his eyes are twitching. Is he gonna be okay, meow?

I'm here to pick up a drink for the old man by Lake Forwel.

What? How come?

...Look, it's a long story, okay?

Okay, okay, take it easy. I believe you. Here's the drink. Be careful, alright?

I like to think of this quest as comeuppance for that bullshit Delsus put us through with the dragon before.

(I know I said I was over it, but I was lying).

Hmm...yes, this is the cocktail I asked you for. But you know what would be really nice? Some fresh milk.

Grrr...We already brought yer drat milk!

Oh, you did? Ha ha ha...Nevermind, then.

You've gotta be kidding.

Take it easy there, young fella. These should calm you down a spot.

He actually hands over four stones, including a couple rarish ones like this one. Not a bad haul for what was a more mentally draining quest than an actually difficult one.

Of course, we're not actually done.

Whoa, those are Mana stones...and they're rare ones, too!

Ha ha...kids these days are so fascinated by rocks and things. Though, I think I could be satisfied with just one more thing -

Don't even think about it, old man. We're done.

But I have a really nice treasure waiting for the person who can run this errand!

A treasure, huh?...Okay, you've got one more chance.

...Delsus, you idiot.

Okay, whippersnapper...I need an outfit that's tight and...hip.

Hip and tight, got it. We'll be right back.

This is all I've got...

Sweet, a Gogo Suit! Perfect!

...Whatever you say, Delsus.

Okay, let's take this to him.

This is funnier to me because I have Delsus wearing a Gogo Suit right now.

Oh, how nice of you, young man.

It is what you wanted, right?

This material is great...I'll take it!

So, then, about that trea-

Now I'm craving something sweet. You know, I've heard that Arcose makes the best cookies in the world. I'd love to have some before I die.

Hey! What about...........Calm down, Delsus...Think of the treasure...The treasure...No worries! We'll get you your cookies, alright.

Young people today are oh-so-reliable.

That'd be great, then I could buy even more. Seriously, these are the best.

Huh? You just carry those around with you?

Meow! I knew Lita was hiding her snacky delights from me!

Paws off! I love sweets, okay?

Talk is cheap. Let's just take these to the old man.

The game doesn't actually state it, but they're talking about Snickerdoodles. This is the part that can throw a wrench in the sidequest, since those are a somewhat late item in Blaire's story. I'm not actually sure if this sidequest will even trigger until you've synthed them – I want to say it will, but I just don't recall for certain how this went on my other playthroughs.

Hmm? These are...! My goodness! I can go with no regrets! Truly these are the world's finest cookies! I haven't had such fun in years. Now, to repay you...

Treasure? Where? Show me!

I will pass down my secret skill to you.

Awesome! I can't wait...Huh? Secret skill? There's no treasure?

I was an eagle-eye archer back in my day...I'm sure you'll enjoy my secret skill. So...ready, young man?

My...my treasure...

Looks like you've mastered my skills, kiddo. You did a great job.

Thanks...I guess knowledge is the real treasure. (You've gotta be kidding me...) Hey gramps, who are you, anyway?

Me...? I'm just a lovable old man who forgets things...Ha ha ha!

And with that, we have everyone's full ability set fill-

Ninety Nine MP cost!?

And worth every point.

Spirit Blast is actually kind of sketchy as an ultimate ability because it has a random elemental attribute (either fire or ice) and subsequently there is sometimes a risk that you will do subpar damage or even heal your enemy. When it DOES work, though, say hello to four digit damage output.

That's it for now. Join me next time as we delve further into Veola's plot and maybe have a brief Blaire interlude. See you then!

Head of Commerce: Man, I love its overall quality so much, I get it every day. I love the Vampire's Kiss because it's so vomit-inducing...This tastes great! Be patient, sonny!

:cripes:

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Considering the goddamn sake in the recipe, the "animal" crackers are clearly a sort of rice crackers, "senbei" in Japanese if I am not mistaken. If you believe cultural notes from anime, it's apparently considered an arch-traditional or simply archaic snack, eaten by elderly (or sometimes just weird) people.

I would assume the metal pipe in the Flute Candy is not actually part of the candy. He's melting the candy and twisting it around the hard pipe, then removing it from it once the shape is taken.

Snickerdoodles are tasty but they are not exactly rare or expensive, so I wonder what the deal was supposed to be on that...?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Seeing you use that dunkelheit on an ultimately useless item made me remember when I was wasteful with them.

I have so many regrets :negative:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raitzeno posted:

Snickerdoodles are tasty but they are not exactly rare or expensive, so I wonder what the deal was supposed to be on that...?
Maybe they're rarer or more expensive in Japan, since they can be marketed as a 'foreign treat?' Sort of like how pocky in America is marked up like hell.

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

Raitzeno posted:

Considering the goddamn sake in the recipe, the "animal" crackers are clearly a sort of rice crackers, "senbei" in Japanese if I am not mistaken. If you believe cultural notes from anime, it's apparently considered an arch-traditional or simply archaic snack, eaten by elderly (or sometimes just weird) people.

Ohh, I gotcha. That would work with the comments the game makes about them, as well, especially the dig on how they're Veola's favorite.

...So where the hell did they get "Animal Crackers" from? Maybe it was just a pragmatic translation to something American players would be more familiar with?

SSNeoman posted:

Seeing you use that dunkelheit on an ultimately useless item made me remember when I was wasteful with them.

I have so many regrets :negative:

Actually you also have to use Dunkelhite along with Farewell, Love to make the Vampire's Kiss. Rafflesia doesn't work. :( Since I intend to ultimately synth All The Items, it was inevitable.

Dunkelhite is one of the only things that has 100 quality, for those who are wondering why anyone cares about some plant. I actually was pretty good about hoarding those since I figured I might as well just use Rafflesia for everything that would take them since it's easier to farm. Which isn't to say I haven't wasted OTHER things, but I'm pretty sure I've still got all the stuff I really need.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Overrated Sage posted:

Dunkelhite is one of the only things that has 100 quality, for those who are wondering why anyone cares about some plant. I actually was pretty good about hoarding those since I figured I might as well just use Rafflesia for everything that would take them since it's easier to farm. Which isn't to say I haven't wasted OTHER things, but I'm pretty sure I've still got all the stuff I really need.

They're also in most, if not all, Atelier games. They are typically very rare and used for expensive/powerful stuff.

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013
You forgot to mention the other thing Holy Power does besides restore HP and MP. It also removes Sleep and Poison from what I know of it. So you never have to worry about those 2 Statuses with Klein again with it equipped.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'll never get tired of people marking out over the poison food with weird attributes.

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

Update 42: Dessert Overload Imminent

I originally had one super huge update here, but I decided to split it in two, mostly so I could keep Blaire and Veola's stuff relatively isolated since we're starting to get in pretty deep with both their plots and I didn't want one story to get eclipsed too much by the other.

Let's go!

Atelier Blaire: For Sale

Music: Spending the Night Together

Meow, you look sad today.

It's that obvious? (yes, the game assigns this line to Delsus even though logically it should be coming from Blaire)

Well, it's not very hard to tell how you're feeling.

Remember what I told you before? Well, I haven't blown her away yet.

It wouldn't be much of a final exam if it was that easy, right?

*sigh* It was just a clever trick to make me give up on sweets.

Huh? That's not fair...What did the owner say?

She told me not to make other people's sweets. “Create your own signature sweet”, she said.

Hmm...Maybe you're just trying too hard?

What's that supposed to mean?

Don't make anything elaborate. Just find something simple that's original.

Exactly. I don't think the owner is looking for the world's greatest sweets...

I know that already! I already have some ideas for my own taste sensation. I don't need your stupid help!

Hey, chill out. Getting mad at your friends is silly. They're trying to help you because they believe in you and your recipes.

...Delsus, can I have a word with you?

Let's get down to business. What did you need today?

Well, I was hoping you'd give me more synth recipes, but I guess that's a no go for now.

Some quality boosting/wandering/battles/etc later...

Haven't you learned your lesson? *sigh* Fine...

...Not this again.

I'm sorry...It looks like they're at it again.

What do you know!? I'll do my best ever, today!

I know you stay up late failing, night after night. She was telling the truth – your sweets aren't original ideas.

As if you have any idea what you're talking about, Villa! I'm trying to improve on the sweets I used to have as a child!

How long have you been studying here? You must have learned all kinds of things. Why are you still talking about your stupid mansion? Why don't you create your own baking legacy? Then you have something to call your own. Oh, and stop staring out your window and crying!...It always breaks my heart.

...Mind your own drat business!

If you love the mansion so much, why don't you just go home!?

!!!

Blaire rushes over to Villa...

Music: Sadness Is Whisked Away by the Wind

...and slaps her across the face.

Ouch!

Oh no...

Get out and stay out! I never want to see you again! Don't you EVER step foot in my bakery again!

Blaire...I'm sorry. I didn't mean that. I don't want you to go back home...I'm truly sorry.

Blaire ignores her, and the sisters leave.

Blaire...It'll be fine. I'm sure the owner will let you -

Hmph! Don't worry about me...And, by the way, if you're trying to cheer me up, you're doing a horrible job.

That wasn't very nice.

Heh, maybe she's right.

Once again, our only real option is to just leave, but this time...

Shh, quiet! I'm worried about her...I didn't think I'd upset her that much. Can you swing by my shop later? I need to ask you something.

What is it you want me to do?

I need you to gather some ingredients so I can make candy.

Huh? Wait, does this mean we're synthing with Villa?

Candy...? The same kind I left for Blaire?

Yeah...I can't believe I let myself run out. The main ingredient is lando. Any type of lando should do. I hope this isn't too much trouble.

Oh, so it's just a more conventional kind of sidequest. I went ahead and gave her a Lovely Lando although I don't know if it makes any actual difference.

I brought some lando like you asked.

Thanks so much – you're a life saver! Give me a second...It shouldn't take too long with these ingredients. I learned how to make this candy when I was only eight years old. I always used to share it with Hute. When Blaire first arrived in town, I made a whole bag just for her. At the time, she was staring out the bakery window and crying...

Music: To Each Their Own Way

SOLD!?

That's right. In the far east, Blaire's parents were very wealthy. But they crossed a very selfish man, who put them in a lot of debt. He demanded Blaire as a down payment...After that, her parents fled the country. Blaire escaped and came here, but she was on the run...The bakery's owner found her, and more or less adopted her.

I had no idea...

That's what I remember my mom telling me, anyway. I was very young at the time. Blaire doesn't like to be pitied...That's why she keeps her story a secret. It's also why she has no home to go back to. When she first came here I said something very mean to her...It must have really hurt her feelings. Here, take these. Could you give these to Blaire again? She won't let me into her house.

Villa forks over some more candy, and throws in 500 Cole and 5 Milks in too.

That was kind of a distressing story. Let's see if Blaire's feeling okay.

(I know Villa's trying to be nice here and I appreciate that, but how bitchy is it to tell someone to go home knowing that they were sold and their parents are gone and they can never return? Jesus, Villa.)

Uh, here...This is from Villa.

Candy!? Is this supposed to make me feel better?

...She really is sorry about what she said to you.

...I don't know why...but I love this candy. Villa gave me some when I first arrived here in town. It hasn't changed at all. Even though she can be mean, sometimes, I do know she cares about me...

Blaire...

I know Villa's like that, but I can be so stubborn.

Discussion? Wrong part of speech, sweetie.

I'm sorry I called you a scrub, before. I'm adding your name to my list of potential prince candidates.

Huh!? What's the big idea?

My feelings for Klein are my business, are they not? I thought long and hard about your advice, Klein. I think I finally have an idea. I added the recipe to the list. Please find the ingredients for me...when you have time, of course.

If there's one thing I like about Blaire, it's how every time Lita goes into jealousy mode, Blaire instantly shuts her down. It's a rare talent nobody in our party seems to have.

Anyway, let's check out Blaire's latest recipe!

Uh...huh. Well, that's a problem.

Remember a loooooong time ago when Norn joined and I said that Turn 2 Candy would be vital to completing All The Synthesis? Well, this is one of the reasons why. Most candy type items (Astral Crackers, Bavarian Banana, etc) we can get from the friendly werecat in Poto's Forest. However, there are a couple of high end candies that we can only get by morphing enemies with Norn's spell. Naturally, these also tend to come from the more difficult monsters in the game, when Turn 2 Candy's success rate is lower.

As such, it's time to go where some of the nastier monsters are.

Ta-da! This can take several tries, but the dragon enemies (or at least the green ones, I don't think I managed to successfully morph a purple one) can be made into Golden Sugar.

I also stuck around long enough to nab a Dragon Horn since I know those also drop here. Apparently the drop rate on these is stupid low, but I got this in a couple tries. Maybe I'm just an unreasonably lucky person.

Before we go back to Blaire's, though, I want to switch over to Veola for a while.

Atelier Veola: Annual Spiteful Twilight Rocket

Music: Voiceless Poem

...The Chronolex, I mean.

Really? That's great!

Congratulations!

However, I cannot make it.

Why not?

...I haven't even heard of most of the necessary materials. So...I don't really know what to do now.

Don't accept defeat so easily! There's gotta be another way.

The materials are beyond my area of expertise. However, I did learn to create a number of other things, as well.

The mystical beasts...

They live in an advanced civilization somewhere in this world...According to legend, humans and beasts once traded with one-another...but no more.

Oh, well that's okay, we're pals with a bunny that I bet knows all about this stuff. We'll pay Totopop a visit in a bit, but first, Veola has a few new recipes to check out.

First off, there's the Rocket Flame. This recipe is special for a few reasons. First off, it requires me to hand over one of my beloved Groovecubes. :( It also calls for one of the larger Craft items. So I decided to substitute in a plain ol' Craft because I was feeling cheap.

Well...

...I got a bomb.

Laaaame.

As you can see, though, this recipe produced a higher quality bomb. If we save this recipe to the menu, the Rocket Flame's recipe kind of replaces the original bomb recipe, but it kind of forgets about the Cloth requirement except the game still consumes cloth, but it fucks up the quality formula in a good way and...yeah, I don't really get it, so have a GFAQs excerpt.

In the Shop Synthesis/Ingredient Guide, DarkElf99 posted:

NOTE ABOUT BOMBS (Bomb, Icy Bomb, Big Bomb)

Ordinarily, the maximum quality for the Bomb is 0; for the Icy Bomb, 40; and
for the Big Bomb, 45. There is a glitch by which you can make a quality 43 Bomb
via the Rocket Flame recipe (recipe below) and save it in the menu.

Once you do this, the Bomb recipe in the menu will list the ingredients for the
Rocket Flame, minus the Flax Cloth (i.e., Groovecube and Craft). Despite this,
making quality 43 Bombs will consume a Flax Cloth; however, you can still make
quality 43 Bombs even when you run out of Flax Cloths. Although the menu
displays the Groovecube + Craft recipe when you highlight the Bomb, you will be
unable to make a bomb using those ingredients without doing it through the
Rocket Flame recipe.

Another point to note is that once you save the quality 43 Bomb recipe in the
menu, it affects the Icy Bomb and Big Bomb recipes as well if you proceed
to make either of them through the Bomb recipe rather than their own
respective recipes once you've saved them. If you make either of them through
the Bomb recipe after you've saved it as Groovecube + Craft, you will get a +15
boost to quality to both of these recipes. This +15 bonus occurs because the
Flax Cloth has a quality of 30 but the game still divides by 2 (not 3)
(30/2 = 15) to calculate the quality of these items since the Flax Cloth, the
third ingredient, is "hidden" in the recipes.

I realize that the explanation is confusing, so maybe another example is in
order. Let's say, previous to even obtaining the Rocket Flame recipe, you've
made a Bomb, Icy Bomb, and Big Bomb, so that all three appear in the synthesis
menu. Then, you obtain the Rocket Flame recipe. You proceed to select the
recipe, and choose a Groovecube and Craft. This will make a quality 43 Bomb,
whose recipe you then save. Next, you select the Bomb recipe--which is now
listed as Groovecube + Craft--and this time, you select the Gold Legien + Fest
Rock. This will create an Icy Bomb, but since the Bomb recipe had a Flax Cloth
saved in it via the Rocket Flame recipe, and since you went through this Bomb
recipe to make an Icy Bomb, you will get a +15 quality bonus to your Icy Bomb.
The same is true of the Big Bomb if you make one through the new Bomb recipe.
However, if you save the quality 43 Bomb recipe in the menu, and then make an
Icy Bomb by actually selecting the Icy Bomb recipe in the menu rather than the
new Bomb recipe, you will not get the +15 bonus. The point is that you have to
work through the Bomb recipe once it's been made via the Rocket Flame recipe in
order to get a +15 quality bonus to either the Icy Bomb or Big Bomb.

Oy...the point is, you can flub the Rocket Flame recipe and waste a Groovecube if you don't use a powerful enough Craft in the recipe.

This Rocket Flame's ready. Please notice the flame I created with alchemy.

Wasn't this flame in the item list?

Correct. I simply added a jet engine to accentuate the flame.

You really broke the mold with this one, huh?

I wanted to create something to counter the Chronolex. I jet engine should do the trick.

VeolaxKlein is pretty good, but I'm starting to think the game's true OTP is VeolaxBombs.

Now to revisit an old recipe and put that Dragon Horn to good use!

By the way, Gogo Suits require Hollow Pumpkins. I didn't realize how rare those are earlier – Lyla at the general store sells at least one (and gives more in exchange for a Suxital), and you can get them from the pumpkin head poltergeist enemies over at Ka Luda's Playground, but they're still deceptively hard to find considering they only appear in one earlygame synth recipe. I just bring this up because I only wound up with three throughout the game I believe – one to make a suit for Zazzy, one to make a suit for this recipe, and one to make a suit for Delsus to wear.

I've finished the War Tuxedo. This one was fairly challenging.

It actually looks nice! How'd you do it?

Surprisingly, this tuxedo increases your endurance while allowing for offensive mobility. Klein, I'd really love it if you wore this tuxedo to our ceremony.

...Ceremony!?

Careful, or it's going to be your funeral...

...You could wear it to Lita's funeral as well, Mr. Klein.

Hmm...it's stat boosts are still decent (kinda disappointing considering how easy it is to get a Gogo Suit and how hard it is to get Dragon Horns, though), but what really sells it is that MANA UP (XL). That could work nicely for Delsus with his shiny new death move, although even this might not be enough to make that ability practical.

Okay, back to new stuff. The Spiteful Stone requires Gold Legien (thankfully I still had some left over after spending a bunch on quality boosts) and...a...Demon Ring? I don't even remember picking one of these up, but apparently I did. GFAQs says Baphy and Legion enemies drop them so I guess that must be where I got mine.

The Spiteful Stone is ready. This is one of the materials needed to create a Chronolex. Alone, it's useless. But don't handle it too roughly – it's brimming with energy. A Spiteful Stone won't explode on it's own, but if you rupture it, it could destroy a whole town.

Really? You seem to handle dangerous stuff all the time.

In my profession, such risks are unavoidable.

Wow, you could be even braver than I am.

I don't know your bravery level, so I can't confirm or deny that.

...But I don't see why it would matter.

Veola makes a lot of things that could destroy an entire town. Maybe we can just set a Spiteful Stone at the start of the final dungeon and put a real heavy weight above it on a frayed rope, giving us time to run away before it falls, and killing Mull and everyone in his dungeon.

...Or it could just be a basic attack item. Y'know, whatever.

Next up we've got a nice piece of glass. All of these ingredients can be purchased, although the Crystalite comes from the Mana store so you gotta farm them Pendelooks if you need more.

The Magnifying Prism's ready to go. Look through the prism at this desk...see?

Hey, it looks a lot bigger!

This item is helpful when you're working with very small details. I doubt you'd have occasion to use this, Lita.

Next up is the Un-Microfier (?). This requires the Prism we just made. It also takes some form of handle. Once again, I used a Gold Handle instead of a Broken Handle because I had one more on me (this was a bad idea).

The Un-Microfier is ready. It was super hard to make.

Yeah, it looks pretty complicated.

Believe me, it is. Remember how the Magnifying Prism makes things appear larger? The Un-Microfier uses a series of prisms...Now you can see anything you want.

How small are we talking?

Just about anything you can't see with your naked eye.

Really? Wow...

What?

Nothing. I'm just starting to see why you're respected in your line of work. Your job's kind of making the impossible possible.

...Thank you. I find compliments like that help motivate me to continue.

...Wait. That's it? Where's the wicked burn? The devastating insults? The threats of imminent bodily harm? What's happening to you two?

Let's head back to Blaire's for a moment.

This is my own original recipe...the Blaire Special!

Hey...It's really pretty! Smells good, too.

Meow! I've never seen sweets like this before!

Hm hm hm...Why, thank you.

I'm sure the owner will appreciate your hard work, too.

...I hope so. Sorry for the trouble I caused. Here, I'll give you this one. I can make another for myself. I'm finally feel free of my past...Thank you, for everything.

Hmm, there's another weird little phrase. I suspect the translators/proofreaders were getting kind of tired when they did Blaire's later scenes. Granted, there hasn't been anything outrageously bad or anything, just a few minor mistakes.

You just concentrate on passing your exam, okay?

Yeah, meow!

Hm hm hm...Don't worry. One day, you'll be dining at “Blaire's Sweets Parlor”!

Sounds good! We'll check back on her in a bit. Now it's bunny time.

Atelier Totopop & Mofuma: Rezareg

Music: Spirit's Hometown

I had a question for you, Totopop, since you're a mystical beast.

What is it, po?

Do you know anything about the Chronolex?

Pooo...Chronolex!

...What is it?

Hmmmm...

Uh...what?

It's great to hear that name again! It's been...over a thousand years, po!

Wow...that is a long time.

Ah...that was before Avenberry even existed...A thousand years ago, wizards used many different magical items. They were all very smart, po!

Are there any wizards still around?

Oh, no, po. Of course not. There were some living near Nelvia, but a monster attack wiped them out.

Could that have been...Veola's home town!?

Mystical beasts created that item for humans very long ago.

Did you make it, Totopop?

Yup, po! Well...I made two parts of it. I created the Twilight Board and the Annual Gear.

Could you make them again?

Of course I can, po! But you'll have to bring me the ingredients.

Don't worry. We know a girl who wants to build a Chronolex.

She must be a very smart girl, po. Just leave it to me.

Any information would be nice.

We used it to open a dimensional rift...it opened a gate to the underworld! Everyone was happy, because they could meet their dead relatives. However, there were a great number of spirits. In order to find the right spirit, you need to have Charon navigate his raft for you. The ride costs one Rezareg!

- - - - > Music: Voiceless Poem

…!?

Po! I almost forgot. We made the Bio Frame at about the same time. The materials are almost the same, but the effects are – huh? Here, here...I wrote down the formulas on this list. I'll also note the materials required for each one.

I didn't think the formulas would be this easy to find. Veola will be happy.

You guys have probably started to clue into what's REALLY going on here by now, but now the gears are starting to grind in Lita's head...

Now we've got Totopop's last two recipes, and we...can't make either of them. In addition to completely missing the Magic Pipe and Moebius Bolt, we also have to dig up another Gold Handle from Iris' Resting Place since I wasted mine on other stuff and this recipe doesn't take a Broken Handle for a substitute.

Alse note the Mana Moebius. This item is absolutely, positively one of a kind – Volco sells one at the Mana shop for nine Pendelook and that is the only one in the game. Subsequently, we can only synth one Annual Gear, and thus only one Chronolex.

All right, back to Blaire's one last time for the update...

Mr...Klein...

Are you crying?

I...I...

You didn't pass?

I passed the exam!

Music: Popcorn Strategy

Wait – huh?

That's great! We're all happy for you!

I'm just so happy...I can't stop crying. Thank you all so much! I couldn't have done this without you.

I think Villa and Hute both helped, too.

That's right.

...Of course. You're right. I guess I owe them a lot, too. But this is only the beginning! Blaire's Sweet Parlor is going to turn the world in its head!

I wish you the best, meow!

Here's a few gifts to show my appreciation.

Ooh, nice, nice! We get a few other pie-based treats as well, like Bavarian Banana and other Turn 2 Candy types of treats.

Meow! Dessert...overload...imminent...

It all looks delicious!

Hm hm hm...They are the first creations of Blaire's Sweet Parlor! Now I can display all my wonderful sweets in the shop window!

And with that, we've made Blaire's ultim-

Bwuh? I don't remember making that. It's not in the synthesis menu, either. Weird. I guess we still have a couple things left with Blaire, too?

That's all for this update. Join me next time for more Veola antics!

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013
I love how this game is basically "Screw the fate of the world. It's time to Synth"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I think there's more cutscene time with the shopkeepers than the main plot at this point.

• Locked thread