Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Just found this thread, I've never actually beaten this game so I'll watch and comment until you catch up and then maybe play along.

Also Hagel is another recurring character in the Atelier games.

Also Ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Norn needs to be in the party long enough to pick up her next skill.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

The Puni Bros are also recurring characters, but I think this was their introduction and they haven't actually shown up in many games.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

I don't think so. Most of the Mana don't show up in the other games, but all fairies (but one) and the Mana of Wood share a sprite.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Blair vs every other shopkeeper in the game is my favorite subplot. There's just something about her that brings out the crazy in everybody.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

CmdrKing posted:

Well, you could make a pie that way. Water, flour, and a binding agent (in real food, this is butter or shortening) to make crust with some sort of filling is pie. At least, without trying it I'm reasonably sure our wax-pie would more or less cook. It'd just taste terrible and probably make you slightly ill because wax isn't really digestible and you just ate a lot of it.

Red pepper as a pie filling is... interesting. Allowing that the game is really simplifying the recipe it's valid. It'd be along the lines of, say, a cabbage pie. So put some onion in there, a little bacon to balance it out, maybe some cheese... have a sort of quesadilla pie.

This is sounding like a better and better idea the more I think about it.

I think you just developed the breakfast quiche.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Arlin and Lita, Beggur needs to learn not to mess with our candy machine.

Also, somewhat amused by your attempt to advance a sideplot getting blocked by the main plot.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Oh god, Piikes syndicate, I always forget about them. But first, side quests and more Veola sythasis!

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

The pig has an attack and defense self buff and if you're unlucky will spend his first three two turns turning himself into a murder machine and the rest of the fight murdering you.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Huh, I could have sworn that you get the book back from the kid around this point so you can give it to Veola for more recipes.

Also seconding Lector being a serious creep.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Unoriginal One posted:

Funny you mention this, because the game can only handle one sidequest at a time. If you have one running, none of the others will start until you've cleared that one off your plate. While it's not usually an issue, getting a sidequest and putting it off can shut you out of events that would open up new crafting recipes until you get around to finishing it.

I'm pretty sure I missed most of Norman's recipes the first time I tried to play because of this.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Huh, I could have sworn that Zeldalia was going to give you the start of the events to get the skill you didn't pick there.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

And that's why Pamela is my favorite character. She's such a laid back troll.

As for the the special effect, it hits all your opponents with the charm ability at the beginning of combat.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

"Son prove that you're a man. Do a fetch quest."

I can see why he left.

It's worse than a fetch quest, think of the theme of the place we just left. I don't blame Delsus in the least for not wanting to deal with that.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Pamela remains the best character.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Glazius posted:

Do you get any warning when an enemy uses a delayed attack, or has the battle system not advanced that far yet?

The baddy gets their turn, and takes a pose instead of attacking. I forget if the box at the top the screen that tells you the name of the technique shows up when it starts or ends, but you get plenty of warning that something bad is happening.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

I think there should be more bread stuff unlocked around this point, but I could be wrong.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

You need to get around to improving the recipes at the bakery. Veola trying to cook is hilarious, as are several of the weaponized breads.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Basically make bread crumbs as good as you possibly can, use them to make bread, use that bread to make better breadcrumbs, and then use them to make pretty much everything else that can use powder.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

On the one hand, Blair totally got left out of that synth frenzy even though she was the one who kicked it off. On the other hand, holy crap was that a lot of synthing.

Google pointed me at an Iris translation page that says this about Braindead:
のうさつ Bewitching Braindead
+35 Charm enemies at start of combat.
I'm guessing のうさつ was interpreted as 脳殺 (not a standard word, but the kanji mean "brain" and "kill") instead of 悩殺 (slang for enthralling with sexual charm).

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

That looks neat, what game is it from?

Judging by the interface, one of the later Ar Tonelico games, which were/are made by the same company that produced this one.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

Hey, sometimes alchemists just have to make deadly poisons, bombs capable of destroying the world and sentient artificial life. They don't mean anything by it. While we're on the subject Iris was kind of a failure in the life creation respect, as all of the homunculi in the Meruru trilogy were horrifyingly adorable and Lita is, well... Lita.

Iris may have been a genius, but she was no Astrid... And now I'm trying to imagine the confrontation over how Astrid would have forced Lita to dress.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

That'd probably bring the game too close to the rest of the Atelier games, remember this was GUSTs attempt at making a traditional JRPG.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Whelp, you're now farther than I've gotten in this game, also I never noticed that Marietta's armor is backless before. Still more reasonable than most fantasy armor, but wtf?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

It would have been a footnote in an ancient bomb making manual we dug up for Veola.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

I think somebody is going to have to hit the Japanese wikis to find out what the Smash Bread does, all I can find about "nasty" or "pleasure" is that a guy playing around with a hex editor got nasty on a mana crystal called nasusu tecto and it seems to debuff mind.
The pants on the other hand just regen 6 hp a round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Thanks for playing this game, I still want to finish it myself, but now I can go read the AI:2 LP without feeling guilty about having started this game and not knowing how it ended.

• Locked thread