Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
sochi

fourth rome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN
Apr 27, 2010

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Edgar posted:

Man this makes salt lake city winter Olympics look much better. At least we still use our poo poo we built.

Other good things form the Salt Lake Winter Olympics: non-dangerous water, flush toilets.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

thanks bro

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

Other good things form the Salt Lake Winter Olympics: non-dangerous water, flush toilets.

It was also snowing

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Cthulu Carl posted:

I really want that gun in the tank sign.

I have no idea what it means, but I want it.

"Don't drive off with the gas pump still in your tank (ie attached to your car)"

Russian has angry and violent words for every normal, non violent thing.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

reminder to everyone itt that sochi has a sub-tropical climate.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

"Don't drive off with the gas pump still in your tank (ie attached to your car)"

a brutalized language for a brutalized people

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

How the hell did Russia convince the IOC they could hold the winter olympics?

I'm assuming massive bribes, but is there a technical reason?

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
They gotta truck in the snow.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lawman 0 posted:

reminder to everyone itt that sochi has a sub-tropical climate.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
don't they have a refrigerated warehouse full of snow?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

That makes way more sense. I thought it was another warning sign in the bathroom, like that was a euphemism for a hanging turd.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

SmokaDustbowl posted:

don't they have a refrigerated warehouse full of snow?

and apparently a series of halfpipes high up in the mountains which they will use to funnel the snow onto the slopes by way of creating avalanches

this is a real thing

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Honestly, though, I don't know what we could expect from the type of people that wear tracksuits everywhere.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Haha, like they would manage to get their hands on heroin.

krokodil's okay, support local business

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
do olypic athletes go thru customs? like could you bring your own h from home w you or would you have to buy local krok for the duration?

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS

Rexicon1 posted:

I really hope the opening ceremonies for the Olympics is just one rosy cheeked 60 something Russian man explaining the history of Russia at a table as he gets progressively more drunk. I'd be an honest representation of modern Russia at least

Well, a 54 year old man anyway:

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/54e166175fbc43cba1715415078e837b/EU-MED-Russia-Vodka
"Overall, a quarter of Russian men die before reaching 55"

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

front row seat to another classic winter event

This way you can stare down the person using what I'm assuming is the only working toilet in the hotel while you and three other people wait your turn. In America, a public toilet like that would be smeared with poo poo, clogged with toilet paper, and soaked with piss. This is just clever planning on the Russian part. Like the side by side toilets, a total lack of privacy ensures cleanliness.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

Cthulu Carl posted:

It made me think of the Godfather.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Cthulu Carl posted:

Haven't you seen The Godfather? Clearly they're worried about terrorists hiding guns in the toilet tank.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
They should bring in Mitt Romney to turn it around like he did with salt lake city.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
so im guessing 1bn went in to the olympics and 50bn when in to a siberian tigerskin shell suit for every russian business owner

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

redshirt posted:

How the hell did Russia convince the IOC they could hold the winter olympics?

I'm assuming massive bribes, but is there a technical reason?

Bribes are a technical reason.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
athletes competing in the biathlon are handed surplus AK47s by some nervous guy in a van.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Seoinin posted:

athletes competing in the biathlon are handed surplus AK47s by some nervous guy in a van.

those are their skis

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So there is totally going to be at least an attempted terrorist attack on this thing, right? Apparently they still have to sell about 1/3rd of the tickets to it.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The accommodations ARE the terrorist attack.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Three Olives posted:

So there is totally going to be at least an attempted terrorist attack on this thing, right?

why bother

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Three Olives posted:

So there is totally going to be at least an attempted terrorist attack on this thing, right?

Yeah, but most of the casualties are going to be from the Russian policy of "Well, if we kill all the hostages, it isn't a hostage situation anymore".

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

DINO DNA

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Three Olives posted:

So there is totally going to be at least an attempted terrorist attack on this thing, right? Apparently they still have to sell about 1/3rd of the tickets to it.

Well the Russians are spending more than 2 billion to stop one so the threat already caused an economic terrorist attack.

Edit: An Infographic!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
yep check us out, we're the dudes that bombed the olympics where the toilet seats were on backwards and people had drunk construction workers sleeping it off inside the walls in their hotel rooms

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Seoinin posted:

why bother

To complete Russian Olympics Bingo.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
I figure they gave Russia the Olympics because the dudes at the council or whatever they use to choose, are going to get laid by cheap hookers looking for the promise of a better life.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dusseldorf posted:

Well the Russians are spending more than 2 billion to stop one so the threat already caused an economic terrorist attack.

Goddamn, China really brought their checkbook when it came to paying for security.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

quote:

A stray dog inside the hotel, building dust everywhere and debris scattered all around. That's what some Olympic-accredited visitors have found on arrival in the mountains above Sochi.

Joerg Reuter, a German who is working at his fifth Olympics for the European Pressphoto Agency, was one of the unlucky guests when he arrived on Jan. 19. After seeing several unacceptable rooms, including the one with the dog, he was forced to travel back down to the coast to find a place to sleep.

"The outdoor area and floors/staircase/elevator inside were still under construction and completely dirty," Reuter wrote, adding that the room he was shown "had no light in the main room, the water out of the tap was yellow/brown, the air conditioning, TV, kitchenware were all not working ... Beside this the room was totally dirty and everywhere covered with dust."

The next room was worse.

"In some rooms you actually saw that there are still the construction workers sleeping and living," he wrote.

Almost every room is missing something: lightbulbs, TVs, lamps, chairs, curtains, wifi, heat, hot water. Shower curtains are a valuable piece of the future black market here. (One American photographer was simply told, “You will not get a shower curtain.”)

Hotel reservations are lost, then found, if you’re lucky. German photographer Joerg Reuter arrived in the mountains and found the first room offered to him to be full of construction debris, with yellow-brown water and appliances that didn’t work.

(They are reportedly now killing the numerous stray dogs here, which makes every adorable mutt you see the hero of a Disney movie, directed by Quentin Tarantino. At a press conference Tuesday, Sochi 2014 spokeswoman Alexandra Kosterina said “There is a special service that catches the stray dogs and this, as far as I know, they have a special shelter for the stray dogs, and make a medical examination of them. Like pest control.” It was not comforting.)

But the hotels are where the Russian Games are visibly straining at the seams. In the Ekaterininsky Kvartal hotel, the elevator is broken and the stairway is unlit, with stairs of varying and unpredictable heights.

Outside the Chistya Prudy, there is a bag of concrete in a palm tree, leaking grey down the trunk. Inside, some of the electrical outlets are just plates screwed into drywall.

Sports Illustrated’s Brian Cazeneuve had to clamber through a window to get out of his hotel on Tuesday morning, since the doors were all unexpectedly locked. Chris Stevenson of Sun Media was without electricity for the first day.

My Postmedia colleague Cam Cole’s bathtub came loose from the wall, and therefore rocks like a ship. He has a shower curtain, though. In the Rosa Khutor section of the mountains, Stacy St. Clair of the Chicago Tribune was told by the front desk that if the water worked, “do not use on your face because it contains something very dangerous.” When it did come out of the tap, it looked like a lot like cloudy urine.

Oh, and one journalist in the Omega hotel complex had to refuse a colleague’s request to stay a night in the second twin bed because … well, there’s no easy way to say this, but when the first journalist arrived, someone had left an indeterminate amount of semen on the sheets of the second bed, and those sheets had been taken away for cleaning, and hadn’t come back.

I kind of want to visit one of these hotels. I mean not stay there but just see the trainwreck first hand.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Dusseldorf posted:

tl;dr: Russia spent 51 billion on war machines and is building sausage factories under the shells of decrepit buildings

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
the winter groverlympics

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Shouldn't Sochi already have a tonne of hotels with it being a popular resort?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

Three Olives posted:

I kind of want to visit one of these hotels. I mean not stay there but just see the trainwreck first hand.

I hear Russian children are far quieter whilst swimming c/d?

• Locked thread