Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I have a question, has anyone posted photos of nice accommodations? I assume Sochi has existing decent hotels, but among the newly constructed stuff around Adler where the Olympic Village is, are these photos all from a few unfinished projects and there actually are some halfway decent hotels? Or just everything is like the terrible press quarters?

I know Sochi is like 20 miles from the Olympic village, so are most spectators just staying there and taking a bus down or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
This sure didn't feel like the opening ceremony of a 51 billion dollar event.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Wait 100 rollerbladers? I thought Russia didn't allow gay displays in public.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Yay rebel alliance symbol!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

SarutosZero posted:

Putting tarps on top of more tarps isn't going to solve the problem.

It couldn't hurt!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Do you all not use adblock plus? I didn't see a single ad on that site.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
You know if they had taken 0.01% of all that olympic money they could have thrown together a program to feed, vaccinate and neuter as many of those dogs as they like. Hell you could have payed people salaries for a decade to just sit around and play with them full time.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Spacedad posted:

Don't be absurd. How would they have been able to build all those cinder-block and tarp-based Winchester mansion hotels if they spared any money for dealing with a longstanding unchecked stray dog problem.

I dunno, just thrown something together out of tarps? The dogs wouldn't even care, unlike bourgeoisie (man at first I didn't even come close enough for spellcheck to suggest the proper spelling) reporters.

Edit: Are you suggesting glorious Russia has insufficient tarps for both? Don't let your showerhead hear talk like that.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Greyhawk posted:

But is the elevator made of cardboard too? :ohdear:

No but it is suspended by simple coax cable. That's why the rooms have no tv's.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

peanut posted:

So... are Paralympics going to be held in this hot mess next?

They're still working on making Russia wheelchair accessible. Don't worry, it will be done in time. The tarps are almost finished.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
At least us United Statesians can take pride that all the best female players from every Olympic team will just end up right back in our country playing for the WNHL.

That's a thing... right?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Azerban posted:

this forever

That would be really immature to gloat "forever." I mean you don't see any Americans still hashing up a gold medal hockey victory from say 30 years ago.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Lawman 0 posted:

This Olympics went better than I expected.

I certainly didn't pick up on there being 51 billion dollars put into it, but it did end up going a lot smoother than I expected. I guess we can just assume that had Russia spent a normal amount on the games it would have been a disaster, but that any disaster can be avoided with a few dozen extra billion dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

CLAM DOWN posted:

The games didn't cost 51 billion. Corruption/bribes/payoffs/Russians did.

You have to include those in the costs. They're very important. You think you get tarps of this quality without greasing the right wheels?

• Locked thread