Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Rau's about to go Big Brother Barbarian on some motherfuckers, that's for sure.

Crosspeice posted:

All three of them, they're just so good.

Agreed. The Original Spyro Trilogy have aged surprisingly well for being late-90's platformers for the PS1. I personally think that they've aged better than Super Mario 64, but that might just be nostalgia talking, since I grew up with a PS1, and not a N64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

DetectiveDorian posted:

Agreed. The Original Spyro Trilogy have aged surprisingly well for being late-90's platformers for the PS1. I personally think that they've aged better than Super Mario 64, but that might just be nostalgia talking, since I grew up with a PS1, and not a N64.

I very much grew up on the N64, and I play Mario 64 a whole lot, and while Mario 64 has aged surprisingly well, compared to other games on the N64, there's still a few problems with it that are really glaring when you play it nowadays. The camera is wonky, side jumps can be sorta finicky (this may be subjective and I'm just bad at them), and the graphics don't hold up as well. Spyro's probably better, but it also had a good 3 years to get the formula and the tech down.

I still play both Spyro and Mario 64 often though, they're both really great games.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
New video up:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
July is ruby, not pearl. I know this because I was born in July.

NLTM, did you forget your own mother's birthday? :crossarms:

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
"Gem" doesn't really have a formal definition, it's basically any pretty-looking rocky thing. Diamonds and such are unambiguously gems, turquoise and onyx and the like probably are, and things like pearls or amber (both biological products) can be, depending on who is saying it. The word that specifically refers to the molecular structure is "crystal."

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Today I learned that June is pearl and that I'm wrong forever.

The point is Diamond is sorta hella lame, and in Britain my birthstone could also be "rock crystal" and gently caress that.

While I'm here, here are some larger images of Proto-Spyro. He was fat and weird.

<-- realtalk i sorta like this one

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

I kind of like these two. They look like if Spyro was rebooted by the same team that made Rayman Origins.

Of course, I understand why they didn't go with these. They would look horrible when turned into a low poly-count model.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

dijon du jour posted:

I kind of like these two. They look like if Spyro was rebooted by the same team that made Rayman Origins.

If every video game ever was rebooted to look like Rayman Origins/Legends I would die a happy man.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Fun fact, my birthday is in August, so my gemstone is the peridot, also known as the "poor-man's emerald". :v: (Also, my Firefox browser seems to think "peridot" is misspelled)

Anyway, though, Sunny Flight in the Artisan Home world is harder than Night Flight, mostly because, technically, it's supposed to be the third Flight level you complete, and you're not supposed to know about it until the third homeworld.

Ice Caverns is a very unique level, though. For one, the fodder of the level are bats, which I don't think show up anywhere else, which tend to fly above you, making them a little difficult to hit, and it's the only level that I'm aware of in the entire Original Spyro Trilogy that does this, and for the better, in my opinion. Secondly, the dragon that mentions the big guys with armor was actually useful. He talks about the enemies before you see them and gives you some good advice, so hey, there's that.

Dr. Shemp is the second of dead-simple bosses, and here is the second place where I think the roll would actually be useful. At least, in the first phase, where he tries to bean you with the stick. Other than that, nothing too interesting about him.

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

<-- realtalk i sorta like this one

Those muttonchops.

Edit: Actually, looking at the muttonchopped Spyro makes me hear his voice as Gerard Butler's character, Stoick the Vast in How to Train Your Dragon, and now I can't unhear it.

DetectiveDorian fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 8, 2014

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008
Fun fact, in Tree Tops, you can totally reach that one island using the initial ramp. It's the only way I did it as a kid. I can provide video proof if anyone wants it, it'll just take me a little time to get to that area from a new playthrough.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

TheAsterite posted:

Fun fact, in Tree Tops, you can totally reach that one island using the initial ramp. It's the only way I did it as a kid. I can provide video proof if anyone wants it, it'll just take me a little time to get to that area from a new playthrough.

I'll try this out when I get there, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a way to cheese it, it's sort of an open area.

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008
You kindof have to jump right at the top left corner of the super charge ramp, and right before you reach that island, charge. It's incredibly finicky, you'll waste probably 20 lives or so, but it's possible.

Edit: By initial ramp I mean the one you need to start on to start the whole sequence to get to the island.

TheAsterite fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 8, 2014

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
All this talk of gems and crystals, yet no sign of our new mod. A missed opportunity. (My birthday is actually this Monday, so my birthstone's a nice purple Amethyst. :) )

Is it just me, or does Spyro look like he's trying not to laugh at something in this one?

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Also fair warning if you're Internet Allergic to ponies don't bother.

Oh I'm cool with ponies.

Wait.

No! NO! NOT THE HOMESTUCK! IT'S MY ONLY WEAKNESS OH GOD I'M DYING

Just kidding. Anyway don't put yourself down, your music is awesome! Have you posted any of this in CC?

FYI the LP is okay too, I just got nothing to say there and I'm digging your music more.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Skunkrocker posted:

Oh I'm cool with ponies.

Wait.

No! NO! NOT THE HOMESTUCK! IT'S MY ONLY WEAKNESS OH GOD I'M DYING

Just kidding. Anyway don't put yourself down, your music is awesome! Have you posted any of this in CC?

FYI the LP is okay too, I just got nothing to say there and I'm digging your music more.

Aw, thanks~!

I haven't posted any in CC because I never felt like anything was worth posting there. I feel like I'd need to justify it as being part of a larger product, like an album or something, but I haven't worked on anything like that yet.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
The shape of the gems in this game throws me off a little because it's almost certainly not natural; it's a particular cut that's really more meant to show off the fire (internal light reflection) of diamond, not something opaque like what you get in this game.

Then again it's a game about dragons beating up monsters so I'll shut up now.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Rose Spirit posted:

The shape of the gems in this game throws me off a little because it's almost certainly not natural; it's a particular cut that's really more meant to show off the fire (internal light reflection) of diamond, not something opaque like what you get in this game.

Then again it's a game about dragons beating up monsters so I'll shut up now.

When I said "I know a couple of people that can tell me about this" you were one of the couple of people so I was expecting this.

You will be pleased to know each kind of gem in later games get unique cuts, each one more scientifically inaccurate than the last.

GrandHound
Jun 8, 2013

It Doesn't Matter If You're Alone.
Aw man. I loved Spyro as a kid. I got a taste of the game before it came out on the Sony Demo Disk 8 when I was like 5, which also had demos for games like Medieval and Metal Gear Solid (it was a good year), and I was immediately hooked. I never really beat the game, I didn't have a memory card for my PlayStation and I burnt out the laser scanner a year after the PS2 was released and by that time I'd moved on to 'older kid games' (God I was dumb). But yeah, looking back on it, Spyro really was one of my favorite childhood games and I'm really glad to see it getting played. Great LP so far, can't wait for more!

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
To this day, it's still one of the few games/series I don't ever have any problems with 100%-ing. I don't do the first one that often, only because they locked down the controls (and added the hover) in the second two games, but it's still a decently fun game in its own right.

Archaedes
Nov 3, 2013

AinsleyAinsleyAinsley
AinsleyAinsleyAinsley
AinsleyAinsleyAinsley

Please stop killing my childhood, I don't need reminders that I outgrew Spyro and that it was turned into a cash cow. I mean, the endless bombardment of Skylanders expansion packs wasnt enough of a constant reminder. :cry:

Archaedes fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Feb 8, 2014

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
So I was planning to sleep last night but I ended up doing this instead.

I was pumped after talking about music the other day, and I got it in my head to do something with the main Spyro theme and ended up doing this in one sitting because I'm stupid.

I think it turned out okay, in any rate, for a sleep deprived rush job.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

So I was planning to sleep last night but I ended up doing this instead.

I was pumped after talking about music the other day, and I got it in my head to do something with the main Spyro theme and ended up doing this in one sitting because I'm stupid.

I think it turned out okay, in any rate, for a sleep deprived rush job.

This is pretty cool, and so is the Magic Crafters world, which is my favorite world in Spyro 1 and it's gonna be awesome.

I can't remember if you've mentioned anything about it, but are you planning to LP Spyro 2 and 3 as well afterwards?

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Jakuzure Nonon posted:

This is pretty cool, and so is the Magic Crafters world, which is my favorite world in Spyro 1 and it's gonna be awesome.

I can't remember if you've mentioned anything about it, but are you planning to LP Spyro 2 and 3 as well afterwards?

Was gonna see how this one turned out in the end, but if it ends up going well, I'll totally go for Spyro 2 and 3.

Speaking of which, I probably won't be able to make videos for a couple days, so I guess y'all should take that song as an interlude (which I kinda want to make more of) until I have more time.

there i made a banner for it to solidify the promise i'll never fufill

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 8, 2014

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
:allears: If there had been a movie for the classic Spyro, that could have been the grand opening theme. Or perhaps for the big finale. Point is that I like it a lot.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Yapping Eevee posted:

:allears: If there had been a movie for the classic Spyro, that could have been the grand opening theme. Or perhaps for the big finale. Point is that I like it a lot.

Funny you mention a Spyro movie....

There was going to be a movie planned for the Legend of Spyro series, but the idea was scrapped... at some point in production, not sure when. I believe there were posters and even a tentative release date, as well as a cast list and a plot outline, but nothing ever came of it. It's probably for the best.

(That said, that's a hell of a compliment, thank you~)

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 8, 2014

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
If you don't mind spoilers (on the off chance you are somehow watching this and haven't beaten the game before), there was a Spyro 1 race posted in the race thread a little bit ago that could hold you over until the next update.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

morallyobjected posted:

If you don't mind spoilers (on the off chance you are somehow watching this and haven't beaten the game before), there was a Spyro 1 race posted in the race thread a little bit ago that could hold you over until the next update.

While we're talking about races, there's the AGDQ 2014 race of Spyro 3 that was really neat.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
The original Spyro series. :3: The only game series that I feel nostalgia towards and occasionally replay yet again.

While gameplay was polished for Spyro 2, the original has the unique atmosphere of strange lands, strange enemies and almost total lack of friendlies outside of dragons and fairies.

It really says something about game series that I can't really say which is my favorite, as each one has so many great points.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I think Spyro 1 benefits from not having the endless minigames problem of Spyro 3 and, to a lesser extent, 2. It's just a fun platformer where you fly around sometimes, and that's admirable.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

crowfeathers posted:

I think Spyro 1 benefits from not having the endless minigames problem of Spyro 3 and, to a lesser extent, 2. It's just a fun platformer where you fly around sometimes, and that's admirable.

Yeah, while Spyro 2 and 3 were great, getting bogged down in minigames was pretty lame, and it didn't help that they developed Sonic Syndrome and introduced a bunch of NEW FRIENDS that nobody actually cared about.

e: vvv Yeah, this is all basically true. I still feel Spyro 1 is the best, simply because it i feel like it focuses more on exploration and atmosphere than the latter games did.

Freak Futanari fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 8, 2014

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Spyro 1 has this unending charm to it, it's really loving unique and I can go back to it all the time.

Spyro 2 introduced a bunch of things, Hunter and Moneybags being a few of them and they're enjoyable characters. A few of the minigames are weak (that loving hockey jesus christ), but it has a lot of neat locales and some of my favorite levels (Magma Cone, Fracture Hills, Zephyr). It also has some of the most forgettable levels (Robotica Farms what the hell).

Spyro 3 took all of what 2 started and polished it a bit. A few of the minigames aren't nearly as grating, you have all your skills from the start, Moneybags is even MORE of a shitbag, and the skating minigame is surprisingly alright. As for the New Friends, Shelia's the only one I enjoy playing as. Byrd controls like a bar of soap, Bentley's too slow, Agent 9's just... bizarre and too unorthodox to be too enjoyable. Luckily most of the side character sub-areas are Sheila anyway.

It really comes down to personal preference as to what's your favorite, not a lot of series can say that about themselves.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

I personally really like all of the characters in Spyro 3, personality-wise. Shiela is probably my favorite, with Agent 9 coming in at a close second, Sgt. Byrd being just behind him, and Bentley coming in at the rear, but not by too much, mostly because the multisyllabic words tend to make my head spin. Still, the punishment they tend to dish out on Moneybags is cathartic as poo poo. :allears:

Also, I like to think that Agent 9 was kind of a precursor to Ratchet and Clank, but that's probably just me.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

When I said "I know a couple of people that can tell me about this" you were one of the couple of people so I was expecting this.

You will be pleased to know each kind of gem in later games get unique cuts, each one more scientifically inaccurate than the last.

:allears:

I will contribute Gem Facts anytime. And everytime probably.

I am actually one of those people who has never played or seen a Spyro game before so I'm kinda hoping you do the rest of them too NLTM!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
This is the best thread title, and one of the best games. I was always more of a "Team Crash" person (though it was a friendly rivalry between the two, I know), but even I could appreciate Spyro was a really good game.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

This is the best thread title

I am yet another in agreement with this sentiment. I'm also liking the multimedia goodness provided by the original music. I'm no musician myself, but I can nerd out about it with the best of them and I never realized Spyro's soundtrack was so worthy of raving until this LP. Never played these games myself, even took a few cheap shots at the series way back in my Banjo-Kazooie LP, but I loved Just A Friend's game-breaking LPs of the second and third games and it's cool to finally see the first game. Never thought I'd enjoy a live-commentary LP of a Spyro game by a first-timer, but I guess I'm not the elitist prick I thought I was!

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

MarquiseMindfang posted:

This is the best thread title, and one of the best games. I was always more of a "Team Crash" person (though it was a friendly rivalry between the two, I know), but even I could appreciate Spyro was a really good game.

I remember there being a Crash/Spyro crossover on I think GBA.

I never played them but this was after both their primes so it probably wasn't great.

Hyperman1992
Jul 18, 2013

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

You would be correct! There was Spyro Orange and Crash Purple. They did boil down into a series of mini-games, but I do remember them not being too bad...

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I never played them but this was after both their primes so it probably wasn't great.

It was terrible. Both of them. Completely awful.

As luck would have it, Justafriend already has a quick look at the Spyro half of the crossover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

I can't watch it, it's like watching a pet fish have to be flushed down the toilet.

• Locked thread