Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It's for the best. Spyro never deserved that.

Which is true, the only reason Spyro was there was to help sell the Skylanders stuff. They were afraid it wouldn't sell without some name recognition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

But I thought the games leading up to skylanders were poo poo, why would they want to associate themselves with lovely games?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Deathwind posted:

But I thought the games leading up to skylanders were poo poo, why would they want to associate themselves with lovely games?

I wouldn't necessarily call them poo poo (overall), just really generic games which only existed to generate money from idiot kids.

I guess it's kind of fitting but god drat it Spyro didn't deserve anything he was treated to after Insomniac dumped his rear end.

Brewsuke
Jan 8, 2014
Alas, poor Spyro, we knew him, a dragon of infinite jest, of must excellent fancy. He hath born jewels on his back many times, and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
at least skylanders is better than Spyro Orange

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
I kind of respect the evil marketing genus who came up with the idea for skylanders. They're pure evil but you have to admire the genus of it, its like a license to steel money from parents of young kids. And now Disney is getting in on the action with Disney Infinity.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Vorpal Cat posted:

I kind of respect the evil marketing genus who came up with the idea for skylanders. They're pure evil but you have to admire the genus of it, its like a license to steel money from parents of young kids. And now Disney is getting in on the action with Disney Infinity.

I'm personally eagerly awaiting Halflifers Gordon's Adventure

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I almost wish I had kids so I had an excuse to spend all my money on Skylanders, It seems like such a cool concept for kids.

Vorpal Cat posted:

Oh god, there's a whole genus now?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Vorpal Cat posted:

I didn't know you needed a license for steel money. :v:

I don't mind Skylanders exactly. 10 bucks a statue that doesn't really do anything seems a bit expensive to most, but kids will probably play with it anyway.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

mastajake posted:

I almost wish I had kids so I had an excuse to spend all my money on Skylanders, It seems like such a cool concept for kids.

Just spend them on Warhammer figures and paint instead. It's Skylanders for adults (or Skylanders is Warhammer for kids).

I honestly think it would be pretty cool if there were some way to have paintable Skylanders figures where the game would recognize the color and change the character to match. Of course Activision would ruin it by charging $50 per pack, but still, the idea's cool.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

I don't mind Skylanders exactly. 10 bucks a statue that doesn't really do anything seems a bit expensive to most, but kids will probably play with it anyway.

It's just physical DLC, and like most DLC it's absurdly overpriced.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Personally if I had kids I would buy them toys, I don't know.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

crowfeathers posted:

Personally if I had kids I would buy them toys, I don't know.

Part of a Slinky :smith:

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
To be fair, if I was 7-10 or so and you told me that I could put my toys on this thing and then they'd be IN THE VIDEO GAME I would flip my poo poo so loving hard.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

To be fair, if I was 7-10 or so and you told me that I could put my toys on this thing and then they'd be IN THE VIDEO GAME I would flip my poo poo so loving hard.

Hell, I flipped my poo poo when I first heard about it. I just wish a better game was attached to it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

We look at it and say "physical DLC" or whatever and call it a ripoff. For kids, it's 10 bucks a pop for an action figure they can play with all day and then open up a portal to another world and bring it to life. To kids, you don't have a Spyro statue, you have Spyro.

I'd say 10 bucks is pretty cheap, if it enchants kids as much as it seems. I have no idea how the gameplay is, though.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
They probably don't have Moneybags or Hunter figurines, have they? :(

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Kurtofan posted:

They probably don't have Moneybags or Hunter figurines, have they? :(

I think there might actually be a Hunter figure.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
So, any news on when this LP is gonna continue?

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Freak Futanari posted:

So, any news on when this LP is gonna continue?

When I'm less a completely lazy piece of garbage.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I played a video game earlier today. Have this also.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
You should do this but for Ice Cavern's music next. I'd really like to see what you do with my favorite track.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Ubiquitous_ posted:

You should do this but for Ice Cavern's music next. I'd really like to see what you do with my favorite track.

I'd like to do more, so I dunno, who knows.

Maybe this time it won't take me Literally Two Months to do so.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
I remember how my brother told my siblings and I that if we didn't get the dragon eggs from the thieves before leaving the level that the thieves would crack the eggs open and eat the contents. Pretty fun now that I look back at it, but that shocked me as a kid.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

"Someday I'll record another thing" he says for the 4th time in as many months.

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Girl you like them plants?

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

"Someday I'll record another thing" he says for the 4th time in as many months.

You better, I'm missing my Spyro fix :P.

And that film, I'm calling it now, is going to be absolutely terrible. There's minimal storyline in any of the games, but knowing them, it's going to be about Skylanders. Nope nope nope nope nope.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just found this LP today and I'll be catching up and waiting for more. Spyro is my big nostalgia series.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Killrrhubarb posted:

You better, I'm missing my Spyro fix :P.

And that film, I'm calling it now, is going to be absolutely terrible. There's minimal storyline in any of the games, but knowing them, it's going to be about Skylanders. Nope nope nope nope nope.

Zany guy with the guns as the Minion/Olaf/crazy wacky side character.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Apologies for 2 things:

1, for taking so long to get back to this
And 2, because the audio is a bit bad here. It's really quiet in spots and I apologize for that, I couldn't boost it any more than I already did without it sounding like a mess. It'll be better next time, it was my fault because I was sitting a little bit further away from the mic, my setup was a bit different since the last time I recorded.

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Meow Mix Meow Mix please reconsider.
Good to see this LP back up and running.

Seeing that interview was really cool. Just seeing how all the different parts of the music come together so nicely was fascinating to me. The same track going into the game was also a nice touch. As for the world itself, I think the reason that Beast Makers tends to be forgotten (other than Tree Tops) is because it's so much more down to earth than the two worlds it's wedged in between. Kinda hard to be memorable in between such vibrant worlds when your colour-palette is browns and greens. That said, it's still pretty fun and I enjoy it all the same.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Did I miss you doing Treetops?

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Nihilarian posted:

Tree what? Never heard of it.

Archaedes
Nov 3, 2013

AinsleyAinsleyAinsley
AinsleyAinsleyAinsley
AinsleyAinsleyAinsley

Nihilarian posted:

Tree Tops can be easily replicated by jumping off your house's roof, followed by crying for roughly 15-20 minutes.

Hyperman1992
Jul 18, 2013

Archaedes posted:

Tree Tops can be easily replicated by jumping off your house's roof, followed by crying for roughly 15-20 minutes.

I believe that's canonical. Spyro took one look at the level, jumped off a tree and cried. Gnasty Gnorc felt bad, so he let all the dragons go and gave him all the gems.

Archaedes
Nov 3, 2013

AinsleyAinsleyAinsley
AinsleyAinsleyAinsley
AinsleyAinsleyAinsley

Hyperman1992 posted:

I believe that's canonical. Spyro took one look at the level, jumped off a tree and cried. Gnasty Gnorc felt bad, so he let all the dragons go and gave him all the gems.

I like this ending because then Enter the Dragonfly and the god-awful DS games didnt happen and we would all be much more happier as a result.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Archaedes posted:

I like this ending because then Enter the Dragonfly and the god-awful DS games didnt happen and we would all be much more happier as a result.

Are you saying you want to lose the pinnacle of human achievement and culture?

Archaedes
Nov 3, 2013

AinsleyAinsleyAinsley
AinsleyAinsleyAinsley
AinsleyAinsleyAinsley

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Are you saying you want to lose the pinnacle of human achievement and culture?

I can honestly say, from the bottom of my heart, that the only piece of human achievement that should be kept for generations to come should be this masterpiece.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Glad you see you updating again!

That interview was a nice touch, especially since it was the same music from the first level you did. Very nice touch. Well done.

Not much else to say about it, other than I like the Cajun dragons here. :D Oh, and also that you're a terrible tease about Treetops. TERRIBLE.

The Marquis
Apr 19, 2013
One thing you missed showing off is that the sleeping guys with the cages in Misty Bog have a neat little animation if you leave a chicken alive near them and wait for a second. The chicken will run under their cage and they'll suddenly wake up to trigger the trap and I think they even do a little happy dance after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm not big on collectathon type games(don't like banjo, can't stand DK64, etc.) but I'm fine with spyro and I think that has mostly to do with how fast you can move... but also I really dig how the gems look. They've got a super slick, simple design that works well with the point 3d graphics were at back then-it's the exact kind of old 3d that actually ages well-and having them all get dragged into you as you run past is super satisfying. Might not seem like the biggest deal but honestly I think that's one of the most important things in a game like this where you're gonna be spending your time grabbing these things.
Pity they didn't get the "point to remaining gems" bit down with the first one, because if they did they'd basically have had the pinnacle of that style of game right from the start.

The only other game with a lot of collection I like is Rayman 2(PC VERSION :argh:), but that's quite light on it really.

• Locked thread