Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Latest Update

---

Who's this rear end in a top hat?

The Spyro games were a series of 3 games made on the PS1 by Insomniac Games. Spyro was their first big hit, and gave Insomniac the springboard they needed to make other cool games you may have heard of, like Ratchet & Clank.

The PS1 trilogy of Spyro games are regarded as some of the best 3D platforming has to offer, and for good reason! They're fast paced, tight, varied, unique, and hell, just fun to play. Just pure collect-a-thon platforming at its absolute finest. A great soundtrack too, I loving mean it.

Spyro was very much a product of the 90s, though, and falls prey to a few silly XTREME things indicative of the time. It's part of the charm, I think.

Well, okay, they seem super keen. You said they only made three?

Well.... Eheeh. Kinda.

After the third game, Year of the Dragon, Insomniac decided to give up Spyro and switch gears a bit, being bought out by Sony and beginning to develop Ratchet & Clank. The license for Spyro ended up with Activision. Activision then published 3 more games: Enter the Dragonfly, A Hero's Tail, and Shadow Legacy. And they, especially Enter the Dragonfly, were huge piles of poo poo. Activision then decided "gently caress it" and put Sierra on the job, who rebooted the series and developed three more games.

We don't talk about those games.

Huh? Why don't yo-

Maybe someday I'll have a strong enough will to delve into the world of teenage-level dragonlove fanfiction and Insects Voiced By Wayne Brady. But today is not that day.

Well okay, what ARE you doing then?

I'm gonna be playing Spyro 1! I know a lot of things about Spyro, and I'm relatively good at the game, so I'm hoping to make this both informative and entertaining. The original trilogy of Spyro has a lot of quirk and pluck about it, and it has some interesting stories going on under the hood. How well do like The Police? You know the song at the credits to the Amanda Show? We'll get to those later.

Videos

Special note on the first video here - I uploaded it in 720p but Youtube did some funky poo poo and cropped some borders and that somehow degraded the quality to 480p. Still perfectly watchable, though, and I can't really afford to reupload it at the moment since my connection is loving GARBAGE (Thanks, coastal Rhode Island). Future episodes are gonna be a bit shorter and more manageable anyway, and I'll make sure everything goes through fine, thanks to the Sandcastle giving me a bit of advice.

Honestly, you can probably skip it, the commentary's not up to snuff, really, you're only missing the boring beginning levels anyway.

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jul 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I don't know what you're talking about, dildos and dragons have nothing to do with each other.

:unsmigghh:

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 7, 2014

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

DetectiveDorian posted:

You pretty much covered all but one thing in the first world of the game.

The one thing you (probably) forgot about was the roll. Which isn't too big a deal, since it was only in this game of the original trilogy that you have it. Not to mention, with all the tutorials, I'm pretty sure nobody mentions it. It's not too useful, anyway, except against the dogs in the Toasty boss world, where you can dodge left or right, if there's enough room, to avoid the body slam. :v:

I'm a big fan of the original Spyro Trilogy, though, with Year of the Dragon probably being my favorite. :keke: I've never really played any of the rest of the Spyro games, but from most accounts, I should be counting my blessings for that.

Ah yes, I forgot about the roll! To be honest, the only times I've ever used it were on accident, I just completely blocked in my mind that it existed, because it's so useless.

Speaking of things I just recorded the second world, and it's being split into 2 parts, and just from recording it, it went a lot better. I talked more clearly, said some more info, and now I feel sort of bad that the first part here is sorta weak. Oh well. I'll upload it overnight and by the time I wake up it'll be up.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Blue Ghost posted:

Why do the dragon's have a giant dragon head as a doorway? It would be like having a giant human skull as the door into your house... now I kind of want to do that.

Good start to the LP, if a little long winded in the intro.

Yeah, I apologize, I got a bit carried away with myself. there'll be less waffling about in the future.

Also we could learn a lot from dragon architecture. Would you want to invade a place that has giant human heads scattered about? It'd be like something out of an HR Giger thing. With less dicks

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Aaaaaaand new video, y'all.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

DetectiveDorian posted:

The way you talk about music and being a musician, I wouldn't mind hearing some of the music you've made, NLTM. :keke:

Anyway, though, I have had breaded and fried gator tail nuggets before, a few years ago, when I went to Panama City Beach, Florida. A place called Pineapple Willie's, if I remember right. It tasted almost exactly like chicken nuggets, only it was dark meat, as opposed to the white meat of say, McDonald's nuggets, and surprisingly tender, with how strong alligators can be, you'd think their muscles would be a little tougher.

Or at least, I thought that. :v:

Yeah, I thought it'd be tougher too. I've heard snake meat is the same way.

And yeah! My music's all here, but I hope you're not expecting anything special, I'm still getting better.

Also fair warning if you're Internet Allergic to ponies don't bother.

E: Listening to it again, this is probably one I'm most proud of, and carries a lot of the same instrumentation throughout, despite being a medley, and showcases a lot of what I liked about Copeland's work on Spyro. As lame a dream as it might be, it'd be a dream come true to work on a large game's soundtrack.

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 7, 2014

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

CrazySalamander posted:

I like how you put that after the link. Also your avatar is very bizarre.

So is Spyro popular because it is in earnest a good game, or did it just grab everyone's attention when they were younger and the series is now viewed through rose tinted glasses?

Well, I'm not sure how objective of an angle you want to look at this at, but I suppose we can look at some review scores at the time:

...I think next time would be a good time to talk about what the gently caress happened with Enter the Dragonfly.

Anyway, it was a good game at the time, and was praised for its controls and its graphics. There were some new tech in the first Spyro, including the first Level of Detail stuff seen on the PS1, with models and textures and stuff degrading in quality as you move further away from them, making the game run better. It's like in Mario 64, where Mario switches to a low poly model when he's far away.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Hyperman1992 posted:

What? Load times that rivaled Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex, bad framerates, and sound issues made the game bad?

Sonic 06-level load times, terrible framerate, graphical issues, unrealized ideas, the game being pushed out for a christmas release when it was LITERALLY A LITTLE OVER A THIRD DONE, with TONS of cut content. I've heard of saves locking and saves corrupting too. It wasn't great.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

crowfeathers posted:

all in time for the series to be saved by a new beginning

this is in spyro 3 and it makes me so mad

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

morallyobjected posted:

Tree Tops is actually really fun, I think, if a little bit of a pain when you don't know exactly what you're doing. I lose way more lives on Misty Bog to those loving enemies.

Tree Tops can still lay claim to countless scars on my childhood. Sure I died a lot on Misty Bog because of those loving frogs, but being unable to fully clear a game because my dumb kid brain can't figure out how ramps lead to other ramps is terrible. There was a dragon in Haunted Towers that was a bit tricky to get to too.

crowfeathers posted:

This thread made me realize I've never actually played Hero's Tail.

Well it had this guy

Who kinda looks like they took Spyro and just pulled an OC Donut Steel

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Feb 7, 2014

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Jakuzure Nonon posted:

Tree Tops is a bullshit level that can gently caress itself. Screw Tree Tops.

One thing a bit disappointing/peculiar about Tree Tops:

Here's the music for High Caves in world 3

And here's the music for Tree Tops

:arghfist::mad:

Oddly enough, High Caves had a unique track in PAL regions. Why this is, I dunno.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Jakuzure Nonon posted:

You Americans never got that track? That's pretty sad, because it was really good.

There are a few tracks that NTSC regions didn't get, especially in Spyro 3, it's weird.

drat euros

Hyperman1992 posted:

Its essentially "hmm, how can we get kids to buy lovely action figures and kill a video game franchise at the same time?"

Apparently It's working really well for them

Jesus I didn't realize it made THAT much money. It's weird that it has the Spyro name on it considering Spyro is just a single character thrown in the mix, and as far as I understand doesn't have much else to do with the game at all. It's like calling the next Smash game The Legend of Zelda: Super Smash Bros.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

DetectiveDorian posted:

Agreed. The Original Spyro Trilogy have aged surprisingly well for being late-90's platformers for the PS1. I personally think that they've aged better than Super Mario 64, but that might just be nostalgia talking, since I grew up with a PS1, and not a N64.

I very much grew up on the N64, and I play Mario 64 a whole lot, and while Mario 64 has aged surprisingly well, compared to other games on the N64, there's still a few problems with it that are really glaring when you play it nowadays. The camera is wonky, side jumps can be sorta finicky (this may be subjective and I'm just bad at them), and the graphics don't hold up as well. Spyro's probably better, but it also had a good 3 years to get the formula and the tech down.

I still play both Spyro and Mario 64 often though, they're both really great games.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
New video up:

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Today I learned that June is pearl and that I'm wrong forever.

The point is Diamond is sorta hella lame, and in Britain my birthstone could also be "rock crystal" and gently caress that.

While I'm here, here are some larger images of Proto-Spyro. He was fat and weird.

<-- realtalk i sorta like this one

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

dijon du jour posted:

I kind of like these two. They look like if Spyro was rebooted by the same team that made Rayman Origins.

If every video game ever was rebooted to look like Rayman Origins/Legends I would die a happy man.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

TheAsterite posted:

Fun fact, in Tree Tops, you can totally reach that one island using the initial ramp. It's the only way I did it as a kid. I can provide video proof if anyone wants it, it'll just take me a little time to get to that area from a new playthrough.

I'll try this out when I get there, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a way to cheese it, it's sort of an open area.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Skunkrocker posted:

Oh I'm cool with ponies.

Wait.

No! NO! NOT THE HOMESTUCK! IT'S MY ONLY WEAKNESS OH GOD I'M DYING

Just kidding. Anyway don't put yourself down, your music is awesome! Have you posted any of this in CC?

FYI the LP is okay too, I just got nothing to say there and I'm digging your music more.

Aw, thanks~!

I haven't posted any in CC because I never felt like anything was worth posting there. I feel like I'd need to justify it as being part of a larger product, like an album or something, but I haven't worked on anything like that yet.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Rose Spirit posted:

The shape of the gems in this game throws me off a little because it's almost certainly not natural; it's a particular cut that's really more meant to show off the fire (internal light reflection) of diamond, not something opaque like what you get in this game.

Then again it's a game about dragons beating up monsters so I'll shut up now.

When I said "I know a couple of people that can tell me about this" you were one of the couple of people so I was expecting this.

You will be pleased to know each kind of gem in later games get unique cuts, each one more scientifically inaccurate than the last.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
So I was planning to sleep last night but I ended up doing this instead.

I was pumped after talking about music the other day, and I got it in my head to do something with the main Spyro theme and ended up doing this in one sitting because I'm stupid.

I think it turned out okay, in any rate, for a sleep deprived rush job.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Jakuzure Nonon posted:

This is pretty cool, and so is the Magic Crafters world, which is my favorite world in Spyro 1 and it's gonna be awesome.

I can't remember if you've mentioned anything about it, but are you planning to LP Spyro 2 and 3 as well afterwards?

Was gonna see how this one turned out in the end, but if it ends up going well, I'll totally go for Spyro 2 and 3.

Speaking of which, I probably won't be able to make videos for a couple days, so I guess y'all should take that song as an interlude (which I kinda want to make more of) until I have more time.

there i made a banner for it to solidify the promise i'll never fufill

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 8, 2014

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Yapping Eevee posted:

:allears: If there had been a movie for the classic Spyro, that could have been the grand opening theme. Or perhaps for the big finale. Point is that I like it a lot.

Funny you mention a Spyro movie....

There was going to be a movie planned for the Legend of Spyro series, but the idea was scrapped... at some point in production, not sure when. I believe there were posters and even a tentative release date, as well as a cast list and a plot outline, but nothing ever came of it. It's probably for the best.

(That said, that's a hell of a compliment, thank you~)

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 8, 2014

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

morallyobjected posted:

If you don't mind spoilers (on the off chance you are somehow watching this and haven't beaten the game before), there was a Spyro 1 race posted in the race thread a little bit ago that could hold you over until the next update.

While we're talking about races, there's the AGDQ 2014 race of Spyro 3 that was really neat.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Spyro 1 has this unending charm to it, it's really loving unique and I can go back to it all the time.

Spyro 2 introduced a bunch of things, Hunter and Moneybags being a few of them and they're enjoyable characters. A few of the minigames are weak (that loving hockey jesus christ), but it has a lot of neat locales and some of my favorite levels (Magma Cone, Fracture Hills, Zephyr). It also has some of the most forgettable levels (Robotica Farms what the hell).

Spyro 3 took all of what 2 started and polished it a bit. A few of the minigames aren't nearly as grating, you have all your skills from the start, Moneybags is even MORE of a shitbag, and the skating minigame is surprisingly alright. As for the New Friends, Shelia's the only one I enjoy playing as. Byrd controls like a bar of soap, Bentley's too slow, Agent 9's just... bizarre and too unorthodox to be too enjoyable. Luckily most of the side character sub-areas are Sheila anyway.

It really comes down to personal preference as to what's your favorite, not a lot of series can say that about themselves.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

MarquiseMindfang posted:

This is the best thread title, and one of the best games. I was always more of a "Team Crash" person (though it was a friendly rivalry between the two, I know), but even I could appreciate Spyro was a really good game.

I remember there being a Crash/Spyro crossover on I think GBA.

I never played them but this was after both their primes so it probably wasn't great.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

I can't watch it, it's like watching a pet fish have to be flushed down the toilet.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

SirDrone posted:

So would you consider what game after the 3rd game was disastrous or the Sierra Reboot because we could totally have some fun on that subject.

Enter the Dragonfly was super bad and kind of unforgivable. I haven't played Hero's Tail but I heard it's just mediocre instead of terrible, and I haven't played Shadow Legacy either but just from that gif posted earlier I think I don't want to.

Like Battle Pigeon up there, I also had Season of Ice. I don't think I ever finished it though. For a game about mobility and getting to faraway places, playing in an isometric view at such a low resolution was hell, you couldn't see where you were going at all.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

how can so much action and deep systems be contained into one game

e: THE PLOT SOUNDS LIKE FANFICTION GODDAMN

quote:

During his journey, Red, the villain from Spyro: A Hero's Tail returns and decided to fight Spyro once again. After losing in a very short battle, it was revealed that Red was a pawn to the Sorcerer, the one responsible for trapping everyone in the Shadow Realm. Red decides to change his ways and help Spyro defeat the Sorcerer. After Spyro makes his way to the Sorcerer’s lair, the Sorcerer reveals himself to be a dragon with four wings who, like Spyro, is purple as well.

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 10, 2014

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
You can still make the dark world/light world thing work though, considering how good Link Between Worlds was.

Shadow Legacy is not Link Between Worlds.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Finally recorded some more, video will be up tomorrow.

Would be tonight, but

welcome to rhode island

e: and this is a good day too

e2: and then i hosed up the audio which results in me being up at 6AM doing surgery. Have me in your prayers.

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Feb 11, 2014

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
And new video up.

Also triple post. Deal.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Nihilarian posted:

Oh god Spyro LP, clearing schedule.

Spyro 2 is my favorite, just for the cutscenes before each stage. I'll never understand why they took them out for Spyro 3. It's still a good game, but I really liked those cutscenes.

They were fun and goofy, and they added a bit of flavor, yeah. Sometimes they were brutal though, like the one in Magma Cone where one of the satyrs throws another into a volcano just to get their party hat, or whatever.

By the way I want to talk about how great a name Magma Cone is.

It's a volcano. Magma cone.

It's like how an alien would describe a volcano.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Wordybird posted:

Magma Cone's residents are gloriously sadistic. Earthshapers pooping your party? Just murder them with various tools of destruction!

This LP is giving me more and more incentive to boot up Spyro on my Vita again. I didn't like it nearly as much as 2 and 3 back when I was a kid, but seeing these videos is persuading me to at least give it another shot. Keep up the good work.

Like I said before, 1 has a certain charm to it that the others don't, but I'd still say 3 is overall better.

2 was a bit unpolished in everything it implemented and 3 refined it.

So yeah that's why Spyro: Attack of the Rhynocs on GBA is the best Spyro game.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

crowfeathers posted:

If you load a save file with that upgrade, then start a new game, you'll have it in the new game.

It also helps if you want to get a few of the skill points you need to unlock the Epilogue (like those no-hit boss runs :argh:)

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Kurtofan posted:

I just love the name Gateway to Glimmer, it evokes exploration and that's kind of what I love in the Spyro series.

Man, PAL regions got a bunch of cool exclusive music, and a way better name than Ripto's Rage. Y'all suck.

Killrrhubarb posted:

"No more blue thieves after Magic Crafters"

I see what you did there, NLTM ;)

(gently caress Treetops)

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > gently caress Tree Tops

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Kurtofan posted:

Really? I didn't know about the exclusive music.

Yep

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

One thing a bit disappointing/peculiar about Tree Tops:

Here's the music for High Caves in world 3

And here's the music for Tree Tops

:arghfist::mad:

Oddly enough, High Caves had a unique track in PAL regions. Why this is, I dunno.

There were also some extra songs in Spyro 3, and probably Spyro 2 too, but the only one I can remember right now is Enchanted Towers getting its unique theme, instead of just reusing Byrd's.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
This has little to do with Spyro but it has enough to do with the LP that I'll post it anyway.

Decided to work on some more music, tried to get that authentic feel, but

EastWeeeeeeeessssst :arghfist::mad:

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
New video up.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
The calls are coming from inside the house. The reboot was there from the beginning. It was all foreshadowing a new world order.

All politicians are reptilians and dragons watch my documentary on H2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
It's weird that for how much I've played the first 3 Spyros, I've never played any Ratchet and Clank game. Are they any good? I mean there's a bunch of them, so at least some have to be good, right?

• Locked thread