Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

gently caress Tree Tops

Tree Tops is actually really fun, I think, if a little bit of a pain when you don't know exactly what you're doing. I lose way more lives on Misty Bog to those loving enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
To this day, it's still one of the few games/series I don't ever have any problems with 100%-ing. I don't do the first one that often, only because they locked down the controls (and added the hover) in the second two games, but it's still a decently fun game in its own right.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
If you don't mind spoilers (on the off chance you are somehow watching this and haven't beaten the game before), there was a Spyro 1 race posted in the race thread a little bit ago that could hold you over until the next update.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Battle Pigeon posted:

I'd say the worst parts are probably the Spyro 3 minigames, like the skateboarding parts, but they were cringe worthy even when it first came out.

Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad. :colbert:

Speaking of the post-PS1 games, for what it's worth, I played exactly one of the Wii Spyro games (I think it was the third one of the reboot trilogy), and it was actually pretty fun. I mean it didn't really feel like Spyro, but it was leagues ahead of what I was expecting, my only other non-Insomniac Spyro game having been Enter the Dragonfly.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Like I said before, 1 has a certain charm to it that the others don't, but I'd still say 3 is overall better.

2 was a bit unpolished in everything it implemented and 3 refined it.

So yeah that's why Spyro: Attack of the Rhynocs on GBA is the best Spyro game.

Year of the Dragon also removed the double jump, which was one of the best things ever in Spyro 2 as far as sequence breaking and getting out of giving money to that goddamn bear. :argh:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Hyperman1992 posted:

well, that and the charge jump.

Is it wrong that I was able to do those for the first two bosses without the super flame?

The first one isn't really that hard--you just have to focus and not take too many risks with his attack pattern. Second one can go to hell though.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

I thought that gave 1 a more Spyro-like gamestyle, which I didn't really find in the sequel.

For me Ratchet and Clank 1 is pretty much Spyro in space with guns, while the sequels are something different, still good, but speedier and with all those gun levels.

The worst thing about the first one, really, is that you either have to play through it about four times or take advantage of a glitch in the system (that they tried to fix in the HD remake but there's still a way) to get all the bolts you'd need to get all the extra weapons. Plus the new versions of the weapons don't actually do anything different--they're just a little more powerful, unlike the later games when the upgrades generally made the weapons more effective and more fun.

Also, there's no strafing in the first one (except a very, very terrible version of it when you get the rocket pack), and that automatically makes it worse than the other two.

I mean I like it, still, but out of the first three games, it's the only one I haven't platinumed on the HD collection, and it's very hard to go back to the controls and mechanics of the first game for me, after all the improvements they made to the second two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
For what it's worth, I liked Dawn of the Dragon, as far as The Legend of Spyro goes. The story was pretty much Lord of the Rings with (more) Dragons, but it was a fun game.

edit: By the way, the link to the Stewart Copeland interview in your description is just the link to your video.

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 31, 2014

• Locked thread