Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Tekopo posted:

If anyone has time this sunday, I would suggest dropping in at 1900 GMT and see me order a crew to the their deaths! :v:

"Launch a photo torpedo....AT OURSELVES! :suicide:"

If anyone is up early on Saturday on the west coast, or doing nothing on the east coast, we're set to have our only Station mission then. Saturday, 1400 UTC. There's a fantastic selection of old and new players, some really great and creative roleplayers, and best of all I'll be directing the mission myself! :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I feel the one hour window really works against the game. Sure, it's ok to drop in for a lunchbreak, but I just started getting put in charge of something when it was time to say "later".

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Golden Bee posted:

I feel the one hour window really works against the game. Sure, it's ok to drop in for a lunchbreak, but I just started getting put in charge of something when it was time to say "later".

The way it works is that each Ship is it's own separate entity, it's own game with it's own permanent crew, and the same Game Director every week. Each ship plays at the same time every week just for that hour, so that everyone on the crew (Or guests who want to play an NPC) knows when to drop in and how long it's going to last. The idea is that a Game Director will have an idea for a mission "Arc" that will run for 3-6 game sessions over a span of weeks, giving everyone a chance to contribute, play and further the story.

There's a much more creative focus on the game a lot of the time, it's about the character interactions rather than dice rolling and trying to "win" the scenario, which is why we have a time lapse between each game for players to write logs about their character's thoughts, experiences, etc and to further their own personal story a bit more based upon the actions during the game. Some people even get together and write "Joint Logs", a collaborative version of the same, where two (or more) characters interact and build their own bit of narrative.

If you're willing to stick with it, I think you'll find that it's a very rewarding experience if you're into the more creative aspects of role playing games, rather than a constant hack and slash. If not, it was nice to have you there for the hour yesterday, you're welcome to drop in anytime!

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
So far, for me at least, its been like a d20 style game without the dice and more focus on the story and characters (which, honestly, is a welcome change from my hack and slash weekly group).

I've played in two of the simulation missions and one real mission so far (an hour each, at the scheduled time) and I've written a half dozen "logs" for my character.

It's been a ton of fun. It's like a co-op creative writing game, with RPG elements.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I think an hour of action and then filling the downtime with written logs works alright, it means it's easier to fit the sessions in around my free time.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Cthulhuite posted:

If you're willing to stick with it, I think you'll find that it's a very rewarding experience if you're into the more creative aspects of role playing games, rather than a constant hack and slash.
Come on, don't strawman me. There's a difference between "let's kill everything in the monster manual" and "I'd like to know how I succeed on something". In my three hour games last Sat, we didn't shoot anything, but we tracked werewolves, yelled at each other, practiced frontier psychology and interrogated criminals. A resolution mechanic doesn't have to mean "combat" and you know it.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Golden Bee posted:

Come on, don't strawman me. There's a difference between "let's kill everything in the monster manual" and "I'd like to know how I succeed on something". In my three hour games last Sat, we didn't shoot anything, but we tracked werewolves, yelled at each other, practiced frontier psychology and interrogated criminals. A resolution mechanic doesn't have to mean "combat" and you know it.

I think you wanted this game to be something that it's not. There are no stat-sheets or successes or failures - the characters do what they do, and the Game Director drives the story forward.

If your character does the following:

::Taps at his console, reverses power to the engines, and vents plasma in a forward arc::

The Game Director might say "ACTION: the ship breaks free of the cutting beam" - or he might say "ACTION: the plasma has no effect! The cutting beam rips through 3 more decks"

Your "success" and "failure" in the game seems to be more cinematic and based in storytelling, than it does with "did I do the right thing?" The caliber of the :techno: doesn't seem to matter. It's about the characters and how they interact. If that doesn't appeal to you, v:v:v

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It's been really interesting lately, we have been having more people join up but there are a lot of spaces still empty! Now it's a good time as any to join if any of you are interested!

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

We desperately need a Medical Officer on the Rho. Dealing with all of those casualties without one was a hassle.

Hopefully we'll have one by "Tuesday."

Shadowesque
Nov 4, 2012
Oh oh, I have a nerdy question! I understand the timeline that we're to be set at, and obviously we're following canon, but do you guys have any opinions officially about the expanded universe from the books? Or is it just, so long as it doesn't contradict tv canon and/or is explained in an interesting narrative way, go nuts?

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Shadowesque posted:

Oh oh, I have a nerdy question! I understand the timeline that we're to be set at, and obviously we're following canon, but do you guys have any opinions officially about the expanded universe from the books? Or is it just, so long as it doesn't contradict tv canon and/or is explained in an interesting narrative way, go nuts?

Pretty much. It depends a lot on what the Game Director wants to use, but TV/Movie/Official technical manual canon takes precedence and the expanded stuff like the fiction books is...well, depends what it is.

Primarily, it's whatever makes it interesting. :)

Shadowesque
Nov 4, 2012
Oh boy, this makes some of my dumb, impulsive character ideas seem at least somewhat more plausible! Hm, it's been absolute ages since I've ever worked IRC, but maybe I'll see about joining you lot and whipping someone up...

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Shadowesque posted:

Oh boy, this makes some of my dumb, impulsive character ideas seem at least somewhat more plausible! Hm, it's been absolute ages since I've ever worked IRC, but maybe I'll see about joining you lot and whipping someone up...

Fantastic! We'd love to have you onboard, the interesting characters are my favourite.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Shadowesque posted:

Hm, it's been absolute ages since I've ever worked IRC, but maybe I'll see about joining you lot and whipping someone up...

There are some players pushing an mIRC script they made, it's not very good. I posted a guide on the ST:E forums for how to get mIRC up and running with different colors for different positions, it makes the game a lot easier to dissect, instead of a wall of text.

Also, who the gently caress uses MSChat in 2014?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Tuxedo Jack posted:

There are some players pushing an mIRC script they made, it's not very good. I posted a guide on the ST:E forums for how to get mIRC up and running with different colors for different positions, it makes the game a lot easier to dissect, instead of a wall of text.

Also, who the gently caress uses MSChat in 2014?
Yeah, I couldn't understand that myself. So, so far, in the ships I'm in i've

- Been navigating in a Prometheus class
- Been investigating some saboteur that destroyed a federation ship
- Been finding a strange 'federation' ship while out in exploration

Lots of fun!

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
We've got our next mission tomorrow at 1900UTC if you're on the fence and want to watch before diving in and making your own character. We definitely welcome spectators!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I'd be all over this if I had more time, but as it stands I don't. I played something similar for like 7 years in my teens, every week, starting on AOL's "official" Star Trek RPG community called "Spacefleet Online," then when that became StarTrek.com's official organization, I was part of a decent-sized splinter group whose name I can't for the life of me remember.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

There's a mission in an hour at 2pm Eastern time, if anyone wants to drop in. It's a one and done, so you can participate or just spectate.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yes, yes, I need more red-shirts to send to their deaths send out in away teams!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
A couple of requests and questions about your website:
  • Sort timezones by, well, time zone, rather than by alphabetical location. And while you're at it, have just one entry for each time zone. It took me a while to find one I could use.
  • Why is a first name required, but not a last name? Don't you want to be able to order Ensign Lastname around? If you're going to make one optional, I'd assume it'd be the first name.
  • Are there any guidelines for height and weight, or should I just go by human norms?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I think for the first name/last name thing, it's done so that you can have aliens which don't have a last name to be in-putted within the system. It was probably assumed that if you have a last name, you want to enter your first name as well. Human norms for weight/height should be fine.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

FredMSloniker posted:

A couple of requests and questions about your website:
  • Sort timezones by, well, time zone, rather than by alphabetical location. And while you're at it, have just one entry for each time zone. It took me a while to find one I could use.
  • Why is a first name required, but not a last name? Don't you want to be able to order Ensign Lastname around? If you're going to make one optional, I'd assume it'd be the first name.
  • Are there any guidelines for height and weight, or should I just go by human norms?

Thanks for the tip! I"ve updated the timezone list, it should be easier to select now.

As Tekopo said, it's for races that only have one name, like Klingons and Vulcans. And yes, human norms for height and weight are perfect.

I look forward to seeing your character!

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

The USS Saturn got caught in a temporal loop and was nearly destroyed in a gravity well. That was fun.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Looks fun, but the timezone differences between the US and Australia means that the Sigma Rho is the only choice I could even remotely expect to make sessions for.

I'm trying to parse in my head the difference in positions between ships and the station - NAV would be responsible for...what, docking controls? Is there any division between OPS and ENG on a station? There certainly wasn't on DS9 but that's probably just because O'Brien must suffer.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Keep in mind that, much like DS9, the Sigma Rho has an attached spaceship, so NAV would be in charge of navigation of it when it is being used. On the station itself, it would probably amount to docking/traffic control, I would assume.

OPS works with power system, transporters and communications, while ENG as well as power systems, also does maintenance and repair. So regulating power would be done by OPS, but investigating why something lost power would be done by ENG.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

Looks fun, but the timezone differences between the US and Australia means that the Sigma Rho is the only choice I could even remotely expect to make sessions for.

I'm trying to parse in my head the difference in positions between ships and the station - NAV would be responsible for...what, docking controls? Is there any division between OPS and ENG on a station? There certainly wasn't on DS9 but that's probably just because O'Brien must suffer.

Pretty much as Tekopo says. NAV would be responsible for Navigation and Flight Control onboard a Starship, or on a shuttle, etc. They play the part of a pilot. They're also in charge of flight control, incoming docking ships on the station, shuttle requisition, etc. It's an interesting role to play and tends to have fingers in a few pies.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Another fantastic adventure on the station Sigma Rho this morning. We didn't all die, somehow!

Congratulations to the two Officers who received promotions and decorations today.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
We've been wrapping up the first mission arcs pretty successfully over the last two weeks, gearing up for the next ones. Some commendations and promotions being handed out too.

We also have a log-writing competition for the whole playerbase. As it's all about creative writing, the players write up logs about what their characters are up to, back stories, things like that between weekly missions and for the month of April the bests ones are getting gift certificates and t-shirts and stuff. If you're on the fence about joining in the fun, now is a great time to do it!

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
We're close to launching out US-based evening ship. Basically it'll be around 8-10PM EST, an after work special for anyone interested in playing that's on the western hemisphere. If you're interested in the game, now's the time to join up and have a say in what time the ship runs and what day. The more people we have, the better idea we'll have on when it runs.

And if you're in the game already, you'll have first pick of the good positions. :getin:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Cthulhuite posted:

And if you're in the game already, you'll have first pick of the good positions. :getin:
All positions are good :v:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tekopo posted:

All positions are good :v:

Except Holodeck Janitor (reminding me I should get to making my dude)

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Error 404 posted:

Except Holodeck Janitor (reminding me I should get to making my dude)

Yes you should!

The Sigma Rho station is beginning a new arc this week, so now is the time to get your butts into those available seats (Or ones of your own choosing). When a new Arc begins, i'll usually write a little Prologue type thing and then give out the Mission Orders from Starfleet Command, then the Command Officer writes up a mission briefing for the crew - kind of like an outline of what needs to be done to accomplish the mission, the kind of thing the Enterprise crew would discuss in the Observation Lounge.

You can find the thread on the new Arc here

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I can confidently say that the Rho is pretty much the best station in the fleet. It's the only station, but the best station nonetheless!

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
It is the best Station, but I'm biased because it's mine. :smug:

We recently combined the USS Bremen and the USS Hooke to increase the crew size, that now runs on Thursdays at 1900 UTC. We're ALSO starting a new arc which you can begin reading up here

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Pretty stoked for the US evening Timezone ship to drop. The Rho is fantastic, but waking up rear end early on Saturdays sucks. Can't wait for a good time slot for us US folks. I wonder how quickly it'll fill up?

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
Just resurrecting this thread to make the announcement that we've added a more US-Centric timed ship to our lineup!

The U.S.S. Sentinel is a Sovereign class ship, and she's begging for some crew. If you were on the fence before because there wasn't a good time, and this one suits you better, join up and join in!

The Sentinel will be running on Mondays at 2100 EST.

Here's the STE forum post all about it! Linky

Shadowesque
Nov 4, 2012
The mods are doing some cleaning with players and characters who haven't been active participants, and the new ship is filling up fast. Now's a good time to join up if you have a character idea!

The Hyperion could desperately use some blue (medical or science) and some engineers! The space station Sigma Rho could use a medic--or even an XO to help run things. The Bremen's pretty full, but we still have some open positions there as well.

Or, if you're more into running a game, you can always drop the GMs a line about possibly running a new ship for even more positions to fill up.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
We're on a bit of a recruitment drive at the moment, as we're down a few people on our station - The Sigma Rho and on the U.S.S. Hyperion. We also have a few other ships at different times for those of you who find those better.

Take a look at our forums if you want some writing examples from these fantastic people, or check out the ship roster if you want to see which positions we have open and where. Accepting anything and everything right now, send us a character all you Holodeck Janitors out there!

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Drone posted:

I'd be all over this if I had more time, but as it stands I don't. I played something similar for like 7 years in my teens, every week, starting on AOL's "official" Star Trek RPG community called "Spacefleet Online," then when that became StarTrek.com's official organization, I was part of a decent-sized splinter group whose name I can't for the life of me remember.

I played in SFOL too. :cool:

A big thanks to the STE folks for being so amazing! Thanks to them, I was able to bring the game I've been running for 17 years, the USS Atlantis, into STE. Everything's proceeding along quite well and I'm looking forward to being a part of this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
The Atlantis is looking good in our roster! We could use some more players, though. We've just gone through and revamped the initial player experience, making it that much more interesting and streamlined to get in and start playing.

Also, our design department has been busy.

• Locked thread