Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
Blightning, because I built a poor man's Jund deck to play against my coworker back when we got into Magic again, just using cards from packs we bought at the Target near our office, and nothing made him rage harder than Blightning. Also I loved Terminate from Alara block, partly for the rules text and partly cuz that guy was freaking exploding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

BJPaskoff posted:

I don't even know what to name the next thread, we're all out of editions! "Magic: The Gathering: The Megathread: Magic 2011 Edition" sounds weird in 2014, doesn't it? And we can't use the naming scheme of the following year (like naming this one Magic 2015 edition) because there needs to be more than one thread per year.

Anthologies, Collectors' Edition, Masters Edition.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

I love Stasis.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

uggy posted:

I do actually wonder what everybody's fav/pet card is.

wild mongrel

My bomb rear end Onslaught foil Arcanis, the Omnipotent.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Dungeon Ecology posted:

lol j/k it's Razor Boomerang

Rod of Ruin

post cards that you like ironically

Seriously though, at this rate it's going to be in more core sets than Giant Growth and Giant Spider. Rod of Ruin should have been the real core set survivor, with a new art each time. :colbert: At the very least it probably has the highest ratio of sets it's in to sets that people want it to be in.

cuntman.net fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 7, 2014

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sleepy Owl posted:

post cards that you like ironically

Does Alaborn Zealot count?

Ysera
Feb 19, 2012

Playing and painting poorly.

uggy posted:

wild mongrel

Overwhelming Stampede. I probably own like, 15 of them. And jam one in every green EDH deck. It's usually my win condition.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Grand Architect

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."
Liquimetal Coating. Started playing with an actual playgroup when SoM came out and when I figured out all the silly combos this enabled I fell in love. Easily my favorite innocuous card to drop on the table. Turn 2 Coating, Turn 3 Manic Vandal their land or two drop was my favorite thing to do in the game.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Tenth Edition! Return of Incinerate with awesome art!

Favorite cards:

Gelectrode because I love UR.

Mutilate/Damnation because I loved my casual mono-black control deck and I love black sweepers.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

uggy posted:

wild mongrel

Goblin Legionnaire. RIP damage on the stack

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Favorite cards:

Bitterblossom because the idea of my body slowly decaying and turning into faeries is awesome. Also amazing art, it's my desktop wallpaper at the moment.
and
Cold Eyed Selkie because it sounds like an insult. "drat girl, you acting like a cold eyed selkie."

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 7, 2014

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I've always thought Rafiq of the Many was pretty badass.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Fish Of Doom posted:

Cold Eyed Selkie because it sounds like an insult. "drat girl, you acting like a cold eyed selkie."

On a related note, I love hearing about the different names that people/playgroups have adopted for different cards. Young Peezy et al.
I think Stinkweed Pimp is one of my favs.

Anyone have any of those to share?

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Vhati il-Dal. Dude just wanted to get ahead in life.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Thanks for the new thread and comprehensive OP. I feel like it's worth adjusting the section about alternative ways to play online to include Cockatrice, though; it's the main thing people use and there's actually a big goon sealed tournament going on right now

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

uggy posted:

wild mongrel

In a time of terrible creatures, one stood miles above the rest. His name? Monger.

Spiritmonger.

Dude's the main reason I eventually plan on building a Golgari commander deck. The other reason being shiny Russian Vhati-il Dal.

Balon posted:

Spiritmonger was the first ever rare I pulled when I bought myself cards, and I have loved him and The Rock and BG as a color combo ever since.

This guy knows. :whatup:

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 7, 2014

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
Comedy Option: Fodder Cannon or Patrol Hound for the flavor text, Sensation Gorger for the art.

edit: Also, I have to mention the Uktabi Orangutan for the unintentional sex monkeys...And Uktabi Kong for intentional ones.

In all seriousness though, anything with Mark Tedin's art on it. Love that style. Guay too. I also have a nostalgic soft spot for Lord of the Pit, since it was the first card I ever owned. One of my dad's army buddies was getting deployed and gave me a bunch of random cards because he thought I'd enjoy them and it was the first card in the stack. Never saw the dude again, but I wish he knew I was still playing like 15 years later because of him.

Bikini Quilt fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 7, 2014

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
1) Mulldrifter
2) Smokestack
3) Lodestone Golem
4) Armageddon
5) Chittering Rats

Yes, I hate my opponents.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Probably Crypt Rat

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Lets Pickle posted:

Grand Architect

I made a really fun Grand Architect deck before Brad Nelson did that used Kraken Hatchlings as Sol Rings and Sword of Feast and Famine and Architects to power out Wurmcoil Engines. My version had a bunch of dumb stuff like Everflowing Chalice and Karn though.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
Winter Orb, because I'm a huge dick.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I'm partial to this card from long, long ago, and I don't know why.

I never realized til now this poor guy has a sword through his crotch. And the scaling is really weird.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Mulletstation posted:

Speaking of Orbs, this is my favorite card ever.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Sundial of the Infinite lets you get up to so much wacky poo poo: turn Final Fortune into Time Walk, turn Flickerwisp and Glimmerpoint Stag into "Exile target permanent", keep unearthed/whipped creatures around forever.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
You've got an outdated Brewhaus link in the OP. Should go to the RTR/THS season thread.

King Kambrook
Feb 14, 2012

Dungeon Ecology posted:

On a related note, I love hearing about the different names that people/playgroups have adopted for different cards. Young Peezy et al.
I think Stinkweed Pimp is one of my favs.

Anyone have any of those to share?

I too love the nicknames cards acquire. I'd be really interested to see which of these are common around the world. (I'm in Brisbane)
Some common ones from my playgroup:

Grave Titan - Gravy Train
Primeval Titan - Prime Time
Sheoldred, Whispering One - Shelly
Skithiryx the Blight Dragon - Skittles

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Didn't see anything Android related in the OP, can I suggest the MTG Familiar app? Also, Autocard Anywhere is a pretty useful browser extension, especially for this thread.

My favorite card is obviously Alpha Brawl, mostly because I can't think of a situation where I'd ever get to cast it.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Olivia Volderan is probably my favourite, followed by Kaalia and Vela. I just like playing black.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Gifts Ungiven is my favorite card and probably about 50% of the reason I play Modern. I'm just a few versions away from a global set, no idea where I'm gonna find a Chinese foil though.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Mulletstation posted:

My favorite card that I own is a Winter Orb signed by Richard Garfield.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

What a Judas posted:

I love Stasis.

This man knows whats up! :hfive:

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Momir Vig was my first good EDH deck. Unfortunately, every game, either Momir died or I locked down the game (or both, because of all the efficient ETB creatures I ran).

Still have a fondness for that deck.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I did not mean I love Sands of Delirium. I meant Sands of Time, which was part of the most impossibly stupid lockdown combo of all-time. Sands of Time/Teferi's Realm was the greatest combo and I am unsure of why it is not remembered like Stasis/Winter Orb. Sadly the combo no longer works because the way artifacts with persistent effects work has changed.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

I'm a spike so my pet card is Misty Rainforest. :reject:

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
Morphling. it was definitely the card that got me thinking about the game more deeply than "turn fatties sideways". It didn't make the biggest splash in standard because of all of the dumb Urza block combos, but it was a huge staple in extended for most of the time I spent seriously playing Magic and really shaped how I view the game to this day.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

RIP damage on the stack

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

McNutty posted:

I like Squee better than Norin only because Squee actually dies and then somehow fails to even stay dead like a normal person and just comes back like a lost cat.

I like to think of him as Droopy Dog, where you lock him in a safe with dynamite then drop it into a volcano. You turn around and he's standing right there.

BJPaskoff posted:

I don't even know what to name the next thread, we're all out of editions! "Magic: The Gathering: The Megathread: Magic 2011 Edition" sounds weird in 2014, doesn't it? And we can't use the naming scheme of the following year (like naming this one Magic 2015 edition) because there needs to be more than one thread per year.

"Thread10" is close enough to "M10" right?

I also love Root Greevil. Because it's the root of all greevils.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I think my first ever pet card was Ardent Recruit. It's changed from time to time since then, but ever since I actually tried to make Ardent Recruit work, I just can't get worked up about individual cards anymore. That FNM was an expensive lesson, that sometimes there is a reason people aren't using a card.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

"My criticism of the Izzet is that their impulse for learning seems too much like impulse and too little like learning."
-Trigori, Azorius senator

uggy posted:

wild mongrel

It has to be Radiate. Any time I get to cast it in a multiplayer game, it always leads to a fun time, whether I'm Radiating a lethal Banefire or a Beast Within, or even a kicked Rite of Replication if I just want to win. If I hit a Chaos Warp or there's an Eye of the Storm on the table, then things get REALLY interesting.

I put a copy in pretty much every EDH and multiplayer deck I make that has red, unless it REALLY can't fit in, like in my Ashling EDH deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Stuffy doll is obviously the best card guys and gals. Even if the m13 version looks dumb.

• Locked thread