Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I've always loved weenie/aggro strategies, white weenie, gruul, naya, etc. My favorite card is probably Kird Ape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of the Karp
Oct 8, 2010
It's kind of a dumb pick, but I love Skirsdag High Priest. Innistrad had just come out when I started playing, and my first deck was a GB morbid deck. That dude was a hero, and just a really fun card to play with, plus the flavor is great. What a cool guy, easily my favorite card.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

toadee posted:

This man knows whats up! :hfive:

I suppose I can go more in depth now that I'm more awake. I love Stasis because I am a miserable bastard, for sure. However, it will always hold a dear place in my heart for winning me a tournament held after school by a kid who was a senior, in probably 1995 or 1996. I remember quite clearly dominating with something like the following list:

4x Stasis
4x Counterspell
4x Serra Angel
1x Balance
4x Wrath of God
4x Power Sink
1x Sol Ring
4x Howling Mine
4x Boomerang
2x Kismet
4x Yotian Soldier
4x Tundra
10x Plains
10x Island

Something like that, I know the sideboard had Disechant, CoP for Black, Red and Green, probably Blue Elemental Blast as well.

People were tilting the gently caress out over this thing. One large bone of contention was that I borrowed some cards (a Tundra, one of the Kismets, and a Wrath of God or two) from my Dad. This probably wouldn't have caused a stir if I wasn't locking the gently caress out of everyone and slowly destroying them. Originally, the tournament grand prize was supposed to be a Mox Pearl I believe, could have been any of the five. After all of the uproar I ended up with a Colossus of Sardia. I was kind of bummed but seriously slamming Stasis was so satisfying all day I couldn't wipe the grin off my face. Best card ever.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
I've always liked Wing Shards for some reason.

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011

King Kambrook posted:

I too love the nicknames cards acquire. I'd be really interested to see which of these are common around the world. (I'm in Brisbane)

Where do you play?

I've noticed people seem to either love or hate GG so they're either huge GG fanboys or they will only ever play at Ace.

Also, best card is Smoke, for much the same reasons as Stasis.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Last Stand has a place in my heart, because of how dumb and janky and useless all the effects are, but god drat it, I cast it!

Deckit fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Feb 7, 2014

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
I like Brainstorm.

Also Birthing Pod.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Blood Artist. Loved how it messed with combat maths and the like.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Dungeon Ecology posted:

On a related note, I love hearing about the different names that people/playgroups have adopted for different cards. Young Peezy et al.
I think Stinkweed Pimp is one of my favs.

Anyone have any of those to share?

I used to called Gray Merchant of Asphondel "Gay Merchant of Assbuttland" but it never caught on. Gary is way less fun.

Also Innistrad Limited we would call "Galvanic Juggernaut" Big Juggz.

E: Also my pet card is Figure of Destiny. I have a soft spot for white weenies that suddenly become enormous.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 7, 2014

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Shadow of doubt. Sweet art, sweet effect, you feel like a genius when you play it on a fetch / gifts.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Does anyone have a good link to JUST the card names in each set? I'm trying to get something I can cut and paste into deckbox, but all the sites I am finding have more than just the card names.

At the moment I am just trying to enter my current standard legal stuff.

*edit* NM, magiccards.info organized it into an easily cut/paste spreadsheet.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 7, 2014

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I used to called Gray Merchant of Asphondel "Gay Merchant of Assbuttland" but it never caught on. Gary is way less fun.

Also Innistrad Limited we would call "Galvanic Juggernaut" Big Juggz.

E: Also my pet card is Figure of Destiny. I have a soft spot for white weenies that suddenly become enormous.

I call Gary "Gay Merchant of rear end Fondle" but luckily no one at my LGS plays Mono-B except for one fellow, who I haven't fought at FNM in quite some time.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I don't really have a pet card, but Skullcrack always makes me smile just because of the flavor text.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Ponder is easily my favorite magic card. But only with the art with the hand and the three moons, the merfolk art is kinda Meh.

Actually in order my list of top 5 favorite magic cards is

1. Ponder
2. Mana Leak
3. Sphinx's Revelation
4. Tanglewire
5. Stripmine

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 7, 2014

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002
When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry.
Mahamoti Djinn. I was exposed to magic by a big group of guys playing in the cafeteria, and this one guy would always win because his Djinn was bigger than a Serra Angel. The 90s were a silly time.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
Oh man, all-time favorite Magic card? I think it has to be Lingering Souls. W/B tokens is my favorite deck and that card is just insane value in it, and even just randomly in other decks too. I'm also hardline Orzhov, and while it's not from either of the Ravnica blocks, it still seems to fit perfectly with the theme of the guild.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Vines of Vastwood. It's just one of the most well-designed, skill testing cards out there. In addition to being a pump spell, it's also green's version of counterspell and stifle, all in one card. If you play Infect in Modern or Stompy in Pauper, your success will be determined largely by how well you use this card. I doubt it will ever be reprinted since it would need to be in a set with Kicker, and it's confusing because it's similar to but not the same as hexproof, but hopefully there will be more cards like it in the future.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

uggy posted:

I do actually wonder what everybody's fav/pet card is.

wild mongrel

Grizzly Bears

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Dungeon Ecology posted:

On a related note, I love hearing about the different names that people/playgroups have adopted for different cards. Young Peezy et al.

I call Polukranos "Manyheads, Planet Swallower"

I don't think anybody enjoys that.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Kird Ape. Mostly cause my friends and I would randomly break into song whenever he was played. An illustrated book about kirds! Yeah, we were living at Mountain Home AFB, there really was nothing better to do.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Ah, 10th edition my favorite core set.

A full compliment of dual lands, cool legends, the original man lands, tons of good stuff.

The pain lands look gorgeous in the new frame with a black border.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
My favorite is Into the Roil. Card draw, "removal," it's not really that great, and its not a wincon. Everything I look for in a card.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
Red has always been my favorite color and I have a special place one my heart for the Odyssey block punisher cycle of cards.

I can't tell you how many times I casted Blazing Salvo, had my opponent take 5, then killed the target creature anyway with a different burn spell. The fact that they let me have a one mana Lava Axe pissed them off everytime.

My favorite non-crap card is probably Ball Lightning. Simple, Iconic, Effective. As a bonus, it sounds badass in German. (Kugelblitz:black101:)

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Young Money for the Youngest of Pyromancers.

Just look at that bling!

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

In a time of terrible creatures, one stood miles above the rest. His name? Monger.

Spiritmonger.

Dude's the main reason I eventually plan on building a Golgari commander deck. The other reason being shiny Russian Vhati-il Dal.

This guy knows. :whatup:

Jumping on the 'Monger train. It was the first multicolor card I ever saw after getting introduced to the game, and he holds a special place in my heart.

I know the color changing thing isn't exactly a green ability anymore (I'm not sure it ever was), but I think he's right at the power level of a good Mythic Rare. I want to see him get reprinted so I can wreck Standard with him, color pie be damned. :getin:

I guess Doubling Season and Verdant Force are tied for my secondary pet cards. I couldn't imagine playing one without the other.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

In terms of pet names my playgoup has always been fond of Simon (short for simon insanity) for Sire of Insanity. Makes for fun commander games.

One of us: *Tap mana and play demon* Simon says dump your hands!
Everyone else: :(

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

LightReaper posted:

In terms of pet names my playgoup has always been fond of Simon (short for simon insanity) for Sire of Insanity. Makes for fun commander games.

One of us: *Tap mana and play demon* Simon says dump your hands!
Everyone else: :(

Sire of Insanity hitting the board isn't fun for anybody in Commander games.

Unless you're the Nekusar :getin:

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Sire of Insanity hitting the board isn't fun for anybody in Commander games.

Unless you're the Nekusar :getin:
Or Jund dredge! :allears:

carborexic
Nov 9, 2008

I've always liked the Phantom creatures from Judgement. They're rather ordinary creatures, but they do a lot of different stuff and fit into all sorts of delightful combinations. As a casual player I really like this kind of versatility. The flavor is pretty cool as well. They're the spirits of nomads, centaurs and aven, with ties to the set and setting. They've even got their own interesting spirit-like mechanics, none of which involve 1/1 white Spirit tokens.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
I came second in the only tournament I entered during my first MtG phase (Stronghold-Scourge). At 14, I entered a local Type 2 tournament with the relatively casual crowd that occupied my FLGS, and one rear end in a top hat (that none of us had ever seen before) with a £200+ millstone deck. Everything fell to my horribly janky UW Teferi's Moat control deck.

Teferi's Moat is pretty much my favourite card. It served as a lesson to my brother, who refused to change his deck style (mono-G Ramp) from his first constructed deck (Spikes) all the way up to mid-Invasion block. I'd gotten sick of it, traded for some Moats and whipped him every game. It took him until I'd all but given up the game to think "maybe I could change up my deck to fight the person I play 50% of my matches with".

My tournament deck attempt was horrible. I'd had to remove my counterspells, and some other stuff (as they rotated out), and so I replaced them with a soft lock using Temporal Adept and Delaying Shield. Janky as gently caress, but no-one expected me stopping ALL damage at all times.

So yeah, Teferi's Moat:

Death of Rats fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 7, 2014

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Favourite from the kiddo days of playing (Revised to Alliances):

Probably didn't see Fallen Empires as the huge letdown it is back then, was just happy with GOBLIN GRENADE in my bad goblins aggro deck. Something so sweet in blasting in 16 points to head with two grenades and two bolts.

Favourite from the modern days of playing (Shards of Alara onwards):

Yeah I know it came out when I was still on my short hiatus from Magic, but I just love the design. It does an interesting, powerful thing, that makes both players make decisions. My kind of card. Yet, I play just limited so only time I've actually resolved Gifts is in a cube draft.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
Silklash Spider. I don't know why. Maybe it's because she murders the sky itself.

I like seeing everyone's pet cards, this is fun. :)

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
On the pet names thing, one that I really like is "Serra Spider" for Sentinel Spider, since it matches the stats and abilities almost exactly with Serra Angel.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Chorocojo posted:

Silklash Spider. I don't know why. Maybe it's because she murders the sky itself.

I like seeing everyone's pet cards, this is fun. :)

I also used to love Phage the Untouchable. Such a fun concept...and I lost a few times having her come back under my control not from my hand. Gotta love that double edged sword.

And everyone loves Wonder when you have it and hates Wonder when the enemy has it.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Lunsku posted:

Favourite from the kiddo days of playing (Revised to Alliances):

Favourite from the modern days of playing (Shards of Alara onwards):

Yeah I have way different tastes now than when I started playing as a kid. Back then one of my favorite decks was five-color Slivers, and this guy was the all-star:

As for modern days, it's harder to say, I tend to just play Limited and Cube now so my time with any one card is pretty limited. Fathom Mage comes to mind as a card I really like the design, mechanics, art, and the way it captures the feel of both colors very elegantly. And the promo art is especially nice:

Oh and I guess when I was attempting to design my own cube, I came across this guy. I love how ridiculously powerful yet fragile it is, and I really just want to resolve this against someone and somehow manage to keep it alive long enough to beat down. It's the kind of card that my rational mind knows isn't very good, but I just kind of want it to be good because it's so cool.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Skinrender or Massacre Wurm. I love big fat black demons too.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Lightning Bolt, but only white-bordered with the original art.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
For casual/EDH type shenanigans, it's definitely Yosei. He's an awesome white dragon that flies and fights well, and he has a sick ability when he dies. Just an awesome card.

For more competitive play, it's Lingering Souls without a doubt. I made that card the centerpiece of my Standard decks from the minute it was spoiled. I won many matches just going turn 2 Intangible Virtue, turn 3 Souls, and that was the deck I really learned the fundamentals of more competitive magic on. Now I really want to play Modern mostly so I can cast Lingering Souls again.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Slaughter Games, because gently caress your win con.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

He was fun in limited and he's a fun card to build around for janky combo decks. Really like that he can swing for absurd amounts of damage sometimes.

• Locked thread