Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

OssiansFolly posted:

I have to say this is probably the most accurate...you know...if you don't count the 2700 puns that are still rolling in.
I dunno, I feel like you could work in something along the lines of '~ paying all your life channel fireballing a pile of money' but the grammar just won't work for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Madmarker posted:

No Spiteful Returned? That guy has been a house for me.

I think I am going to play pain seer and skullhunter over him for now. It was really, really close in testing.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Sickening posted:

I think I am going to play pain seer and skullhunter over him for now. It was really, really close in testing.

I mean, I can't hate on Skullhunter, I just found the additional damage and ability to bestow a 2 power dude into a 3 power dude incredibly useful. Otherwise your list doesn't seem bad, just make sure you are packing some Pharika's Cures in the board to handle Mono-red.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
So about 40 minutes into Constructed Resources part 2 and Jon Loucks is really getting into some important points of this new standard. Tempo will matter a lot. We don't really have 2 mana kill spells any more.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Korak posted:

So about 40 minutes into Constructed Resources part 2 and Jon Loucks is really getting into some important points of this new standard. Tempo will matter a lot. We don't really have 2 mana kill spells any more.

Yeah just Bile Blight, Last Breath, Pharika's Cure, Ride Down and Lightning Strike. So 3 toughness is a good place to be and 4 toughness (::cough:: courser ::cough:: ) is a huge stumbling block.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I love that there are going to be two set review shows now but I hate that they both landed overnight... SPACE THEM OUT A BIT, GUYS!!!!! :argh:

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Sickening posted:

My boring mono black aggro is ready for FNM. Post pictures of your terrible decks!

I am going to my first FNM next week. Playing a mono-red burn that was posted in the deck building thread. I'm so nervous!

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

I am going to my first FNM next week. Playing a mono-red burn that was posted in the deck building thread. I'm so nervous!

Are you talking about that 17 land thing that was posted or the artifact one with generator servant and Sarkhan?

Well don't be nervous, its FNM, all thats on the line is a few packs. Neither of the red decks I saw are particularly slow, so take your time to evaluate your decisions and make appropriate choices. You aren't playing U/W inevitability.dec nor are you likely to be in a situation where the game goes overly long and neither player can kill each other, so take time and don't be afraid to call the judge if you see anything weird or don't understand something, thats what the judge is there for.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Madmarker posted:

Are you talking about that 17 land thing that was posted or the artifact one with generator servant and Sarkhan?

Well don't be nervous, its FNM, all thats on the line is a few packs. Neither of the red decks I saw are particularly slow, so take your time to evaluate your decisions and make appropriate choices. You aren't playing U/W inevitability.dec nor are you likely to be in a situation where the game goes overly long and neither player can kill each other, so take time and don't be afraid to call the judge if you see anything weird or don't understand something, thats what the judge is there for.

No, it's this one:

http://deckstats.net/deck-4936453-4a8c0ff7ba441457a1168ed0626dfd6a.html

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I vote for "No Budget Discussion" as the thread subtitle.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I'm going to FNM tonight with a Mardu Midrange-ish build that's basically my own brew. Playing 4 Mardu Ascendancy (which I'm sure NO ONE else is doing) and a primarily red creature base, as opposed to all these Chief of the Edge/Sorin builds.

I've tested the deck a bunch and I just really like the broken things it can do. Hopefully I don't just get completely stomped by red aggro decks.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

qbert posted:

I'm going to FNM tonight with a Mardu Midrange-ish build that's basically my own brew. Playing 4 Mardu Ascendancy (which I'm sure NO ONE else is doing) and a primarily red creature base, as opposed to all these Chief of the Edge/Sorin builds.

I've tested the deck a bunch and I just really like the broken things it can do. Hopefully I don't just get completely stomped by red aggro decks.

Mardu Ascendancy can be a real blowout, I expect a lot of people to be playing it.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Madmarker posted:

I probably wasn't clear enough there, but I called this the "artifact one" since your running shrapnel blast, scuttling doom engine and darksteel citadel. All my previous points still stand.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I have a ton of Satyr Wayfinders to throw in front of red aggro decks's creatures untill I can Whip out a Hornet Queen. Could get ugly.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Christ that trip to Wal-Mart was worth it. Two Polluted Deltas and a foil Rattleclaw Mystic in one fatpack. Little sad that I've yet to pull an actual Khan though.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

I've been casual playing with a version of that, but with eidolon of revel and stormbreaths instead of satyr firedancer and sarkhan, and it's a really fun deck. I don't think Sarkhan should be a 4-of replacing all stormbreaths though, i think those two are played best as a mix in the deck.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I think I've had this argument before but I HATE generator servant. Why do you have 4 Sarkhan's and zero Stormbreath? I would play Strombreath over Sarkhan and just use him as Dragon number 5 and 6... I also don't like the idea of you having a Shrapnel Blast in your hand on T1 that does nothing until you get your cute combo with Doom Engine out. Just seems like Goldfishing to me.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
If I had a dollar for every time someone's shown me a deck idea that plays four Shrapnel Blasts and only four Ornithopters as their only artifacts, I'd have a full foil set of Khans.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

BJPaskoff posted:

If I had a dollar for every time someone's shown me a deck idea that plays four Shrapnel Blasts and only four Ornithopters as their only artifacts, I'd have a full foil set of Khans.

I really love Shrapnel Blast but I run a Darksteel Citadel and Scuttling Doom Engines in mine. I've never played Ornithopters and I can't say I ever have any plans to.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

BJPaskoff posted:

Who runs ornithopters and shrapnel blasts but not springleaf drum?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Run Ghostfire Blades to make your Ornithopters big for little mana and also you could Shrapnel Blast/Ensoul Artifact them. :downs:

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.
I want to preface with "yes I know I have a problem".

I just opened a box and noticed a LOT of misprinted cards that are lighter than they should be. Is anyone else noticing this as they open packs? I'd say there has been almost 1 per booster I opened in the box...

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

qbert posted:

Your place is doing Constructed tonight? The set just came out, I wouldn't expect people to actually have their cards yet.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Your place is doing Constructed tonight? The set just came out, I wouldn't expect people to actually have their cards yet.

There's always Constructed on the first night of a new Standard. Wizards even gives out a special launch day promo for people who play.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Yeah, I don't have any Siege Rhinos, Anafenza or Sorin yet so I'm just going to shove Polukranos and whatever else I've got that's legal in there even though its a "Siege Rhino" deck to begin with. gently caress it, I just want to play with the cards.

qbert posted:

There's always Constructed on the first night of a new Standard. Wizards even gives out a special launch day promo for people who play.

Yeah, its Dragon Throne of Tarkir this time. Not that its typically something rare/valuable anyways, but it does have Zurgo chillin' on the Throne while the normal art just has it empty.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 26, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

Yeah, I don't have any Siege Rhinos, Anafenza or Sorin yet so I'm just going to shove Polukranos and whatever else I've got that's legal in there even though its a "Siege Rhino" deck to begin with. gently caress it, I just want to play with the cards.

Yeah, its Dragon Throne of Tarkir this time. Not that its typically something rare/valuable anyways, but it does have Zurgo chillin' on the Throne while the normal art just has it empty.

Are you sure you should be taking your games of thrones so lightly?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Doesn't have to be constructed though. Our LGS drafts the first two FNMs after new set before going to normal standard-draft weekly rotation.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Tracula posted:

Christ that trip to Wal-Mart was worth it. Two Polluted Deltas and a foil Rattleclaw Mystic in one fatpack. Little sad that I've yet to pull an actual Khan though.
You will never ever have a foil Khan that is timestamped :^)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lunsku posted:

Doesn't have to be constructed though. Our LGS drafts the first two FNMs after new set before going to normal standard-draft weekly rotation.

Yeah, same at mine. I suppose you can do release constructed, but for many people who work on weekends the Friday night release draft is their first chance to play with the new set.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I am going to the LGS that has 3rd FNM of every month as modern tonight. Luckily for me all I need to change in UWR are arid Mesa for flooded strand. :coal:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

I am going to the LGS that has 3rd FNM of every month as modern tonight. Luckily for me all I need to change in UWR are arid Mesa for flooded strand. :coal:

Isn't it the fourth Friday of the month?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Can you outlast a creature the turn you play it, or would summoning sickness prevent that?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Gensuki posted:

Can you outlast a creature the turn you play it, or would summoning sickness prevent that?

You cannot unless it has haste (e.g. you played Temur Ascendancy or something).

Outlast basically means: : Put a +1/+1 counter on this creature. Outlast only as a sorcery.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Interesting rules interaction that came up during the latest ep of Judgecast: if you attack with a creature and are blocked by a Brimaz, if you use Ride Down on the Cat Token that Brimaz creates, your creature doesn't gain trample until end of turn. That's because the Cat Token did not actually 'block' your creature, but came into play already 'blocking' it. I guess it's the same thing as the difference between attack and ETB attacking.

I thought that was neat.

Edit: Also if you Act of Treason/Harness by Force your opponent's Meandering Towershell and attack, it will exile and come back into play on your next turn under your control permanently.

qbert fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 26, 2014

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Rules question:

Opponent has a Polukranos in play and want to monstrous it but opponent has only hexproof creatures in play. Does he have to target one of his creatures for the fight trigger then?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Polukranos specifies creatures your opponent controls, so Polukranos would gain the counters and then the triggered ability would be countered due to having no legal targets.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Carrasco posted:

Polukranos specifies creatures your opponent controls, so Polukranos would gain the counters and then the triggered ability would be countered due to having no legal targets.

Brain fart. Thanks.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Bugsy posted:

Rules question:

Opponent has a Polukranos in play and want to monstrous it but opponent has only hexproof creatures in play. Does he have to target one of his creatures for the fight trigger then?

It stipulates creatures your opponents control, so if none of theirs are valid the trigger fizzles.

Ee colon eff bee.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
My big LGS is already nuts 2 hours ahead of fnm start. I am watching someone open 6 boxes of khans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Sickening posted:

My big LGS is already nuts 2 hours ahead of fnm start. I am watching someone open 6 boxes of khans.
drat, does he have that much disposable income?

• Locked thread