Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

neetengie posted:

drat, does he have that much disposable income?

I am not going to ask and go there. I don't see the point in possibly offending this guy for how he spends his money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
You guys have standard FNMs on release days? My LGS always does sealed on release days because it's a really competitive meta and sealed is a bit more level of a playing field considering not everyone pre-orders their standard decks. I will be dropping by just to claim prize packs I won from 3 weeks ago that they let me stash away for Khans.

I guess I'm saying, my shop is awesome.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Edit: SCG lied to me.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

End of Life Guy posted:

You guys have standard FNMs on release days? My LGS always does sealed on release days because it's a really competitive meta and sealed is a bit more level of a playing field considering not everyone pre-orders their standard decks. I will be dropping by just to claim prize packs I won from 3 weeks ago that they let me stash away for Khans.

I guess I'm saying, my shop is awesome.

I don't know why a shop wouldn't do constructed tonight. Single and packs sales are going to be huge. There is a line right now just to but packs. I am sure a lot of folks preorders stuff online but there are shops that are going to have enough inventory on hand to buy if you don't mind the premium price. People don't appear to be minding right now.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

Sickening posted:

I don't know why a shop wouldn't do constructed tonight. Single and packs sales are going to be huge. There is a line right now just to but packs. I am sure a lot of folks preorders stuff online but there are shops that are going to have enough inventory on hand to buy if you don't mind the premium price. People don't appear to be minding right now.

For my LGS at least, there's a Dark Challenge Khans Sealed event for which it'd be useful to practice sealed deckbuilding.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
Okay, between Herald of Anafenza and Unyielding Krumar, I absolutely have to put together a cheapo Herald & Krumar deck.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sickening posted:

I am not going to ask and go there. I don't see the point in possibly offending this guy for how he spends his money.

I don't have this issue and neither does the guy who works at the store I go to and he opened five.

Apparently he has to do that to get it out of his system. I don't blame him, but usually that only takes one box for me. Oh well!

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Is anyone else hoping that Ghostfire Blade is foreshadowing Eldrazi? :getin:

Or just some bullshit interaction with Morph creatures :flaccid:

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Well, Eye of Ugin was in Worldwake and has everything to do with Eldrazi. Ugin's Nexus came out in this set, and while it has nothing to do with Eldrazi, the flavor is there. :iiam:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Desperately hoping.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Mechanically, I would bet big money that it's both--Morph now, and Ugin and/or Eldrazi in either the next large set or the one after that. Since as everyone's observed, colorless is already in Ugin's wheelhouse, it's a great way to promote inter-set synergy.

Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that there will be Eldrazi per se on top of Ugin, but the other side of the argument is from storyline flavor: there's really no reason to be talking about Ugin at this point in the metaplot unless they are about to return to the Eldrazi menace.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Plus MaRo has hinted at some sort of time-travelling element in the future of Khans block. Maybe, in order to defeat the Eldrazi, we have to go back in time!

:c00lbert:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Plus MaRo has hinted at some sort of time-travelling element in the future of Khans block. Maybe, in order to defeat the Eldrazi, we have to go back in time!

That's literally exactly what we already (99%) know is happening. We're going back to resurrect Ugin, who is one of the main folks who helped seal the Eldrazi away last time. I mean, the immediate reason for getting Ugin back might be to fix the Tarkir dragons and/or stop the voices in Sarkhan's head, but in terms of the metaplot, I guaran-drat-tee you that it's going to apply to the Eldrazi problem.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Great Scott!

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
They've started dropping hints on the previously-unnamed Lithomancer in recent Uncharted Realms, which feels like another setup for Fall of the Eldrazi or whatever, and one of the big selling points of the two-block paradigm is getting to push out their stories at a faster pace than one self-contained arc a year

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yea, it seems fairly obvious that Sarkhan and Sorin's excellent adventure is going to involve traveling back in time, saving Ugin, seeing the alternate-present Tarkir with dragons (3rd set), and then going off to fight the Eldrazi. The colorless subtheme we've seen plays into that well.
The Lithomancer is probably going to show up as well. My pet theory is that they'll contact her in the past and he'll end up getting sucked into our time, which would explain the whole "disappeared without a trace" thing they've been hinting at.

For those who are wondering, the new Uncharted Realms confirms the Lithomancer's name: Nahiri. Apparently in the Ob Nixilis Uncharted Realms she was referenced as a powerful Kor, and Sorin's statement confirms her as the Lithomancer.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 27, 2014

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
Fall of the Eldrazi, Coming to you fall 2015

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Sickening posted:

My boring mono black aggro is ready for FNM. Post pictures of your terrible decks!

This looks fun and easy for me to put together online once Bloodsoaked gets there. What's in your sideboard? I want to play Silence of the Believers at every possible opportunity but not sure this is the deck for it.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Attorney at Funk posted:

They've started dropping hints on the previously-unnamed Lithomancer in recent Uncharted Realms, which feels like another setup for Fall of the Eldrazi or whatever, and one of the big selling points of the two-block paradigm is getting to push out their stories at a faster pace than one self-contained arc a year

Zendikar's self-appointed protector. Nahiri. the Kor planeswalker from Zendikar is the identity of the Lithomancer.

WotC has been pretty sly about tying it together but the last Sorin Uncharted Realms story names her explicitly, she was also the one who trapped Ob Nixilis, with unmatched binding magics.(http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/ur/dreams-damned-2014-08-06)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Drafted at FNM, opened Mire, kept to RW in pack 1 but ended up going Jeskai after black was clearly dry and I got a like an 8th pick weaponmaster or something dumb like that. My deck had two sage of the inward eye and a bunch of other shouldn't happen nonsense. Was surprised at how mediocre prowess is if you're racing and how good it is if you're able to use your tricks on an opponent who has gone defensive.

Jeskai feels like it is a missing something, but maybe I drafted it wrong. I really think you want the make dudes spells. Lot of tension as to the pick order, feels like your deck really evolves in a weird way. Went 2-0, split, misplayed some games for fun, lost those but I wasn't really paying attention. Round 2 opponent killed me game 2 with fatal on the board from 11 with a master of the hidden way who became immense, bear punched a dude for good measure then punched me out from 11.

The lands in this set are so pretty and it is interesting how everyone really starts at like 22-25.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
I bought a fat pack because I wanted the lands and the boxes to use for storage. Significant cracks: Sarkhan, Polluted Delta, Utter End, Siege Rhino, See the Unwritten.

Kind of crazy/awesome that I've opened 14 packs (9 + 6 from the prerelease) and have Sarkhan, Sorin, a Mire, Delta, & Foothills :psyduck:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
FNM trip report on new standard: basically just built The Rock (g/b midrange, removal and big dudes) went 3-1.

Overall Rakshasa Deathdealer is loving insane. I've never been so happy to draw a 2 drop late in the game. I love new standard week. Everybody was playing funny brews, and my oh loss was to orzhov warriors!

AzureKing
Nov 2, 2012

One day I shall return to your side.
Trip report: Khans packs are freaking stupid. I chain pulled fetch land after fetch land, eventually getting a foil Flooded Strand and Sorin, Solemn Visitor. All in all, I opened over 100 packs just by trading in each fetch land I opened, starting with my FNM winnings.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Crusaderking posted:

Trip report: Khans packs are freaking stupid. I chain pulled fetch land after fetch land, eventually getting a foil Flooded Strand and Sorin, Solemn Visitor. All in all, I opened over 100 packs just by trading in each fetch land I opened, starting with my FNM winnings.

So, you ended up with nothing because you lost all the value by trading in everything valuable and are left with a pile of junk?

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Counterpoint: opened a fat pack, got 2 Mantis Riders, a Mardu Ascendancy, a Bloodsoaked Champion and nothing else worth nothing. I've been playing for like 15 years and I still get angry opening trash.

AzureKing
Nov 2, 2012

One day I shall return to your side.

L0cke17 posted:

So, you ended up with nothing because you lost all the value by trading in everything valuable and are left with a pile of junk?

I still have 2 of each fetchland, and I also had a lot of fun opening every pack in the store.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

logis posted:

Fall of the Eldrazi, Coming to you fall 2015

If they don't use that as a set name I'll be mad.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Topped 4 playing my Abzan graveyard deck. This format is GRINDY AS HELL.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

4/0. Played against nothing but jank and didn't have a single interesting game. Played against someone who ran 4x caryatid, 4x drown in sorrows, and 4 nyx fleece ram main deck and still ended winning with mono black aggro. My third game was against someone who just opened an m15 starter kit that day to play who was 0/2 and the team who runs the tourneyment couldn't tell me how they made the mistake.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Entropic posted:

If they don't use that as a set name I'll be mad.

Autumn of the Eldrazi

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Sickening posted:

4/0. Played against nothing but jank and didn't have a single interesting game. Played against someone who ran 4x caryatid, 4x drown in sorrows, and 4 nyx fleece ram main deck and still ended winning with mono black aggro. My third game was against someone who just opened an m15 starter kit that day to play who was 0/2 and the team who runs the tourneyment couldn't tell me how they made the mistake.

I love when I'm obviously paired down drastically when I shouldn't have been. LGS owners can be so sketchy

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Top 4 with the Sligh-nouveau deck I posted in the other thread. Probably would've gone all the way as my top 4 opponent was a guy I 2-0'd during rounds, but it was late so we ended up splitting packs between us. The format is very grindy, Courser of Kruphix is a son of bitch, and was everywhere, and cost me my only game loss of the night, although it took the guy drawing three of them to win, and he was at 1 when the game ended. This is going to be a great standard environment I bet.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Got back from my FNM. Felt a bit bad at first 'cause I went there expecting to Draft and play some Standard ($20 and I could have sworn the schedule said Standard for this week) ended up playing Draft and Sealed ($40 is way more than I had planned to spend this week :retrogames:).

I guess I won't be drafting again for a while since I blew my planned budget for that but I don't feel too terrible since I pulled 2 Windswept Heath and a Flooded Strand in my Sealed Pool (nothing good came to me in the draft :() and then got a 3rd Heath from my prize packs for taking first place with 3-0-1. I continue to surprise myself with how decent I am at Sealed (I thought I was pretty mediocre honestly. I'm really not so good at Draft though).

I've now got 4 Flooded Strand, 3 Windswept Heath, and a Polluted Delta. :signings: Mad money waiting to happen :signings:, though I probably won't part with the Flooded Strands since they go with my Modern deck.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 27, 2014

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
I've steadfastly refused all offers for people wanting to trade for fetchlands. I absolutely want to have a playset of each before I think of parting with any of them. Eternal formats are just a beck and call away after all.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I'm pretty much the same. I'm gonna get what I can with whatever I can win (probably not a lot since I don't think I can afford a really good Standard deck. I'll just keep playing/tweaking Minotaurs till they rotate) and my Draft opens (:rip: my Draft budget) and consider buying the rest when they bottom out in price.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
There's a really good standard deck for under $15 right now, just saying. I know I keep posting about it, but it's really exciting.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Is anyone else disappointed by how this set is in limited so far? It's really really slow, like Eldrazi slow, but without any late game power. After sealed last week and draft tonight, I'm completely bored by the limited environment. Every match seems to end up with the board completely cluttered with creatures that no one attacks with because they'll just trade with something. Everything is so evenly matched and removal is so sparse, that a lot of the time, it's just waiting around until someone plays something with evasion. That 5 mana 3/2 unblockable is maybe one of the best commons in the set. Every single round tonight went to time, some people decked themselves, several draws. One dude was playing Altar of the Brood and was actually winning with it. Just stick it out there and have the opponent incidentally mill themselves when he played a creature or land and then sit around and let the board get clogged up until the opponent decks. I'm really not looking forward to 4 more months of this set.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
It's kinda durdly but I like it well enough. Granted, I may not be the best judge of that since the only limited I've played has been a JOU Pre-release, 2 M15 Sealed games and 2 M15 Drafts, and now 2 KTK Sealed games and a Draft.

Shovelmint posted:

There's a really good standard deck for under $15 right now, just saying. I know I keep posting about it, but it's really exciting.

I know I can build a really cheap Mono-Red deck but I've never really enjoyed Mono-Red all that much. :shrug:

I already have Minotaurs aside from needing to pick up my other 3 Temple of Malice.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Fish Of Doom posted:

Is anyone else disappointed by how this set is in limited so far? It's really really slow, like Eldrazi slow, but without any late game power. After sealed last week and draft tonight, I'm completely bored by the limited environment. Every match seems to end up with the board completely cluttered with creatures that no one attacks with because they'll just trade with something. Everything is so evenly matched and removal is so sparse, that a lot of the time, it's just waiting around until someone plays something with evasion. That 5 mana 3/2 unblockable is maybe one of the best commons in the set. Every single round tonight went to time, some people decked themselves, several draws. One dude was playing Altar of the Brood and was actually winning with it. Just stick it out there and have the opponent incidentally mill themselves when he played a creature or land and then sit around and let the board get clogged up until the opponent decks. I'm really not looking forward to 4 more months of this set.

Having played a prerelease and a draft now none of my matches have gone to time and most have ended in massive blowouts on one side or another. That's not a lot of matches, but it hasn't been shockingly slow at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Fish Of Doom posted:

Nah not at all.

Play evasion. Play tempo. Play bombs. Games end soon enough if you have some tuned decks.

• Locked thread