Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
Oh man, all-time favorite Magic card? I think it has to be Lingering Souls. W/B tokens is my favorite deck and that card is just insane value in it, and even just randomly in other decks too. I'm also hardline Orzhov, and while it's not from either of the Ravnica blocks, it still seems to fit perfectly with the theme of the guild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
On the pet names thing, one that I really like is "Serra Spider" for Sentinel Spider, since it matches the stats and abilities almost exactly with Serra Angel.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Full Fathoms Five posted:

This might be a dumb question, but if I fuse Far / Away and target a creature to return, can the opponent then choose to sacrifice that same creature? I know the lefthand side happens first after resolution, but does the spell wait to resolve until both targets have been selected or what?

Far/Away only has one creature target when fused, the guy you want to bounce. As you said, the left side of the spell resolves first, so the creature you targeted will be returned to owner's hand, then your opponent will have to sacrifice a creature from those left after that.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Limited draft. Opponent casts Mischief and Mayhem on his Staunch-hearted Warrior and his Vulpine Goliath and swings with both. I have an Akroan Conscriptor, a Spearpoint Oread and a few others that aren't affecting the board. He swings with both his creatures. I cast Necrobite on my Conscriptor, targeting his Staunch-hearted Warrior for the steal. He responds by burning my Conscriptor with Magma Jet, taking it off the table. I still steal the Warrior.
At that point, I make the block with the Warrior and the Oread.

The only way this makes any semblance of sense is if your opponent had a Bow of Nylea out, granting all of his attacking creatures deathtouch. If he didn't, it was a bug and you should file for reimbursement.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The 2/2 took all the damage, I received no damage. I meant that it was a fatal error that cost me the game because he had a pretty huge team at that point.

e: filed for reimbursement for the client issues. Let's hope the Magic Online reimbursement staff are feeling reasonable.

In this case, your opponent just made a good play. He has to order blockers, but then once he does, he can assign as much damage as he wants to your first blocker before doing any to the second.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
Too bad Finkel went 2-4 in draft so we're not likely to see the storm deck on camera.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Victor Surge posted:

Here are a lot more I've recently done:

Do you take commissions? I'm interested in getting at least a couple cards for my cube altered and if I can support a goon at the same time, all the better.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
Aside from LR, I mostly listen to Cube podcasts (The Magic Box, The Third Power, Joy of Cubing), as well as Mark Rosewater's Drive to Work. I'll throw in Judgecast or Brainstorm Brewery every now and then, mostly because they're really entertaining to listen to, even though I'm only vaguely interested in their topics (judging and Magic finance, respectively).

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Some Numbers posted:

But if I go "Therapy you," they say "naming?" and I assume that's them passing priority, who gets penalized if they didn't know they were passing priority? I feel like a judge would side with me, but my opponent would probably get real mad at me pulling a "rules lawyer" trick.
I wouldn't say anyone would get "penalized", per se, but the spell would resolve without them having a chance to respond. It is up to your opponent to know that for cards like Cabal Therapy, the choice is made upon resolution of the spell not when it is put on the stack. This isn't a "rules lawyer" trick, it's knowing how the game works. If you want to be super clear, and give your opponent one final chance to respond, after he says "naming?" you can say "does it resolve?", but I would never do this at an event where I was playing for something more than bragging rights.

revengeanceful fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 4, 2014

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Some Numbers posted:

Sorry, I'm not being clear. This is the hypothetical I'm thinking about :

Me: Slaughter Games?
Opp: Naming?
Me: [card name]
Opp: Cast [card name] in response.
Okay, let's clear this up once and for all. At FNM or any other Regular REL event or playing casually with your buddies, after they ask "Naming?", you ask "Does it resolve?". If they say yes, then you name your card and we're all good. If they say "No, I have a response", they get to do that. At Competitive REL and above, after they say "Naming?", the spell is assumed to have resolved, you get to name your card and they no longer have a chance to respond. Not that hard, I don't think.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
You can start with the cube thread on these very forums!

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
I think normally you would get these from the artist directly; they'll sometimes have a website where you can buy prints of their art, but it doesn't look like Kev Walker does.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Alaan posted:

At least they apparently dropped out on Force of Will being on a MTGO pseudo reserve list.
I'm pretty sure the only restriction they've placed on Force of Will was Worth saying that it'll never be in a Masters Edition. They'll probably get around this on a technicality with Vintage Masters.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

whydirt posted:

Hey look, 130 new posts in the MtG thread just this afternoon. Maybe there's been an announcement about the fall block or some leaked previews of Journey into Nyx cards.

Oh :smith:

I had the same exact reaction. :smith::hf::smith:

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

GonSmithe posted:

So I just found out that there's going to be a sealed tournament each day at PAX East where first place gets a foil Modern Masters set, and 2-4 place get a non-foil set.

Unfortunately, the format is going to be garbage. It's a "standard sealed" tournament, so you get a pack of each set in RTR block, one M14 pack, and one pack from Theros and Born of the gods.

Oh well, still gonna have to try to get into at least one.

Not sure exactly where you're seeing that. Per the TO's website, none of the standard sealed events pay out a foil Modern Masters set.
http://tjcollect.com/news/pax-east-magic-schedule

EDIT: Well that's odd, the OTHER link of their events has the payouts you're describing. I don't know what to believe any more! For example: http://tjcollect.com/event/pax-east-modern-masters-booster-draft-315

revengeanceful fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 28, 2014

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

GonSmithe posted:

I have a pass for Friday and Saturday, and the event doesn't start until 3:30 anyway, so there's no way I'm not gonna enter it, even if it does take forever.

They've actually learned a bit from last year, so the biggest events they'll be running this year cap out at 64 players and 5 rounds, with no cut to top 4 or 8, so it shouldn't take all night.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Promoted Pawn posted:

It is but it seems like he refers to it every other episode of his podcast. Normally I wouldn't mind but it's not like he can carefully control how long his podcasts run (the gimmick is that he does it while driving to Wizards so once he arrives the podcast is over) so he wastes a minute retelling it yet again each time he brings it up.
This is my biggest problem with MaRo's podcast. I genuinely enjoy the stories about game design that he tells, but the seventh time he explained the origins of the first few sets of Magic and how guy X got hired by Wizards I was about ready to tear my hair out.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
For similar prize support, I'd go to the place with the better staff/management/whatever even if it costs a bit more. I always prefer to give my business to places that have what I consider to be good business practices, so that they'll hopefully stay around and continue to be a place that I can go to.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

uggy posted:

YOu're being incredibly dense, so i'll drop this.

All I was saying was that the fetches rose from 60-70 to 100 in a single weekend because of scg, not the natural ebb and flow of supply and demand. They made the price increase, they actually did.

That's the thing though, SCG increasing the price of fetches IS the natural ebb and flow of supply and demand. Demand was higher than supply, so they increased their buy and sell prices for these cards. The fact that these prices have stuck indicates that this change was not artificial, it was in fact driven by the forces of supply and demand.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Stinky Pit posted:

To be fair prices have dropped since then by around 20 dollars. That's not to say the 100 dollar price tag was unreasonable at the time but there are no big Modern events on the Horizon, its perfectly normal that demand was waned slightly since then and that the price came down accordingly.
Excellent point. I hadn't actually looked, but you're absolutely right about the reason behind the price change. Assuming supply is relatively stable now, if people aren't buying these cards at the same rate they were previously (aka demand is down), then SCG will have no option but to lower the price.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Entropic posted:

I always thought "eternal" meant "once a card enters the format it's in eternally unless it gets banned".
This is an easy way to think about it, but based on the official MtG Tournament Rules, the only Eternal formats are Legacy and Vintage. See Section 3.2.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Serperoth posted:

The thing is, why make one if it's not random? The molds are pretty much the same, so they're producing a dice which is strictly worse (:v:) than a normal d20. It's not a huge thing, just odd I suppose.
They make them to be used as basic life counters. Full stop. They're not meant to replace your other dice used to determine random outcomes, they're just cheap, easy to use life counters.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

vOv posted:

For what, Any Fad Deck?
A quick google search suggests "Faked Candy", but I have no idea what the relevance is. Liliana Vess being "A Villainess" at least makes sense with her character.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

muon posted:

I'm setting up a draft with some friends, any opinions on which of the most recent blocks were the most fun to draft?

I'm actually gonna say that 3x Magic 2013 is my favorite draft format of the last couple years. 3x Innistrad was also excellent, though those packs may be a little harder to find now.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Ramos posted:

Yes, you get control back so long as its power stays at four or below.
To clarify, the reason this happens is because the game checks which effect that says "you control this thing" was played most recently when there is more than one.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

CODChimera posted:

So we had a bit of drama in our EDH game tonight.

Player 1 cast Blast of Genius, named a target and then Player 2 cast Redirect and then the yelling started. Can you actually cast Redirect at the end or does it only work when Player 1 names a target?
Player 1 names his target as the spell is being cast, before it resolves, so Player 2 gets to know who is being targeted before Player 1 does any of the drawing/discarding/damaging from Blast of Genius.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

whydirt posted:

This reminds me that I need to put together a Type IV Stack for multiplayer pickup games.
This is objectively the best way to play pick up multiplayer games, and I won't hear any argument to the contrary. :colbert:

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Attorney at Funk posted:

I wonder what sweeper effects will look like once RTR rotates out. How many Standard environments haven't had a Wrath at 4 mana?
Scars + Innistrad didn't have a 4-mana Wrath. It was all Delver all the time. I forgot to check the core set!
VVV Right you are, Ken!

revengeanceful fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 23, 2014

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Would the rules work with this? "If Genghis Khan would deal lethal damage to a creature, you may gain control of that creature instead."
I believe the templating would be "If a creature dealt damage by Genghis Khan this turn would die, you may gain control of it instead," but yeah, you could do that within the rules of the game.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
Even if we assume the guy is lying, you don't exactly come off smelling like roses on this one. How about you try not resorting to profanity in your complaints in the future? Catch more flies with honey than vinegar, and all that jazz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
"Enlightening Bolt - Target creature gains "Tap, draw two cards then discard a card" until end of turn."

• Locked thread