Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I used to called Gray Merchant of Asphondel "Gay Merchant of Assbuttland" but it never caught on. Gary is way less fun.

Also Innistrad Limited we would call "Galvanic Juggernaut" Big Juggz.

E: Also my pet card is Figure of Destiny. I have a soft spot for white weenies that suddenly become enormous.

I could never get calling Garruk "Gary" to catch on, and now every is calling this dang common Gary. :mad:

uggy posted:

I do actually wonder what everybody's fav/pet card is.

wild mongrel
I'll always have a soft spot for Heartless Summoning, because it was the first deck I actually started winning more matches than I lost with, and it's fun as hell to play. The Heartless Summoning + Havengul Lich + Perilous Myr combo remains my favorite win condition ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
With the box being called "Annihilation" they can't not include Decree of Annihilation, right?

Damnation and Vindicate are the only money card I can think of for it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Creatures have definitely become just plain better in the modern era though. When people where dissing the green BNG promo (a 6/6 for 6 with a big upside), I couldn't help imagining Craw Wurm shedding a single tear of despair.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

weekly font posted:

Is that art from the FTV announcement something I don't recognize or is it implied that's new art from the set? Cause it looks like Sulfuric Vortex to me.

They always announce FTV with one new art for an old card, but don't tell you what card.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Korak posted:

In a game with 4 mana boardwipes, 3 mana pseudo-boardwipes, and 2 mana kill spells... Eh? Maybe make it "until end of turn"?

Curse of Death's Hold is 3BB and your card is arguably better.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Just get them to call even or odd and roll any die. Of course there are some D8s or D10s or whatever that have all the odd numbers on one side and all the evens on the other...

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

AgentSythe posted:

I challenge my opponents to a game of Magic and then whoever loses goes first next game.

Sounds good. OK, who goes first in thi-- oh.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Because people are tired of drafting Theros and want to play with the new cards.

I really liked the Large-Large-Large Large2-Large2-Large2 Small-Large2-Large1 formats of RTR block, it seems like a good way to give people what they want.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Tharizdun posted:

I put together Rakdos Humanggro and I just can't understand Exava's role. She's a 4/4 Haster for 4, sure, but is that enough? I keep coming back to Cryptborn Horror as an alternative, because dropping him on 4 and also firing off a Thoughtseize to take their board-wipe or big green dude seems good.

What am I missing about her? That she makes future Rakdos Cacklers into Goblin Guides? I thought she was the top of the curve.

First strike. She's really hard to block profitably. Swings through Grey Merchant and Loxodon Smiter like it ain't no thing. Depends on your meta though. Against Polukranos or Boros Reckoner or something I'd rather just have more one-drops or burn.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

A big flaming stink posted:

It will certainly drop after it rotates out of standard. Sure it's a modern and legacy staple but the sheer quantity of them opened and played as a 4-of in standard is going to inevitably reduce demand.

So much magic is being played now that a Standard reprint is the only thing that reliably drops the price of a staple card anymore.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I hope Conspiracy is a stealth Modern Masters 2 with a bunch of useful reprints in it.

I wonder if it will still follow the 1-3-10 rarity distribution though. Probably.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

toadee posted:

I only hope for that if they actually print it and sell it for MSRP. Otherwise, Ill take some cool draft mechanics and such on their own thanks!

They haven't said anything about it being a 'limited print run' or anything like they did with Modern Masters, so it's looking like this is hopefully something they actually want players to get their hands on.

I'm glad I have an LGS that runs regular drafts now, because if this is half as fun as it looks like it could be, I will draft it every weekend for as long as they print it.

I still look forward to seeing idiots buy boxes to open by themselves For Value.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Wow, I can't believe that putting a sub-$30 card into a $30 event deck didn't significantly effect its price.

It probably did to be honest. I bet Thragtusk would have cracked $40 at least during its Standard run if you hadn't been able to effectively buy one from Wizards for the price of a $25 event deck. It set a cap on the price.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Vintage Masters is MTGO only and 99% Conspiracy will be a paper-only product since they're coming out at around the same time and because MTGO coders are stressed out enough as it is.

I hope conspiracy has a bunch of cool reprints for Modern, but zero ridiculous money cards like Goyf, so that it's fun to draft, has cards that are actually useful after the draft, but doesn't encourage people to go out and just buy boxes to open/hoard.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I can't even get angry at stupid MTGO bugs now, it's just become sort of adorable.

:supaburn:"We broke everything, players start with 32,000 life and commonly played cards crash the game!"
:3: oh, modo, you so crazy

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

BXCX posted:

Looking at picks mid pack is fine on MTGO because it takes out all possibility for human error/shadyness. It's all good until someone accidentally passes their pool of picks or grabs a card from their pool and then takes two cards out of the pack. It's just like passing a bunch of packs in a row to the guy who's slow picking cards next to you instead of one at a time. On MTGO this is fine because it will automatically give him the right pack, while in real life he might pick up p1p7 instead of p1p5.

Yeah, we have a hard enough time getting people not to train packs at my LGS, anything to reduce the chance for gently caress-ups is good.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Death Bot posted:

I'm curious, what am I supposed to do in this situation? I do a good job of making sure to line them up neatly and whatever, but if someone's 3 packs behind me am I just supposed to tell everyone else to not pass packs either?

Don't pass a pack to someone if there's already a pack waiting for them to pick up. And tell people not to pass to you if you've got a pack in your hand and another one already waiting for you.

Training packs is like rushing to get to your seat on a plane first; it's not going to get you off the ground any quicker.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Chainsawdomy posted:

Rules question: Who receives the benefits of an aura, the controlling player or the owning player? That is to say, if I cast Portent of Betrayal on a creature with Ordeal of Heliod, attack, and that puts the third +1/+1 counter on the creature, who gets the 10 life?

The controller.

But in that scenario your opponent is still the Controller AND the Owner of the aura.

Gaining control of a creature doesn't gain you control of auras or equipment attached to that creature.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 14, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Zonekeeper posted:

Bile Blight's text:
Target creature and all other creatures with the same name as that creature get -3/-3 until end of turn.

The bestowed one wouldn't be a creature at the time the Bile Blight resolved, so it doesn't get the -3/-3. It'll become a creature after Bile Blight resolves and dodge the -3/-3 effect.

And even if it did get -3/-3, an aura doesn't have power or toughness so it wouldn't do anything.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mehall posted:

It's the paper equivalent of EvE: Online.

Only if you're playing Storm or Eggs.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I just remember the cards, as the good Dr Garfield intended.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fish Of Doom posted:

I know there are few people on here who are into miscut cards. Someone at my local game store bought a Born of the Gods intro deck and got an entire deck of miscuts. Some weren't super interesting, but these were among the better ones. It looks like they are from the very bottom of the sheet.

That's the coolest miscut I've ever seen and probably worth some cash to the right person. It even has the codename of the set on there!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm surprised no one has posted this yet, but Magic action figures and these adorable looking "Pop! Vinyls" are coming in April and August!

Pop Ajani looks so cute.

Read the press release here.

Nissa is definitely the odd one out there. Who the hell wants Nissa?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

What a Judas posted:

Actually I'm guessing they just wanted an equal number of male and female characters.

Elspeth is cooler than Nissa. Hell, Tammy Moonsocks is cooler than Nissa.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Count Bleck posted:

So since Temple of Plenty was the first set of Scrylands I filled up on somehow when BotG came out I decided to take it as a sign and am stocking up on post rotation GW staples.

What is looking like keepers for G/W besides Fleecemane Lion, Sylvan Caryatid and Polukranos? :v:

Boon Satyr

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Nemico posted:

I don't understand. Aside from the price point, isn't that exactly what Conspiracy is?

We know basically nothing about the cards in Conspiracy at this point. It could be full of modern staples, it could be completely garbage for constructed.

I'm actually kind of hoping it isn't peppered with cards that you open P3P1 and say "Well, this isn't in my colours, there's 3 commons in the pack I'd rather have for this deck, but I'm not passing it because it's a $50 card." It would be nice if the draft set actually got drafted instead of hoarded for value.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

C-Euro posted:

For another possible reprint avenue, why couldn't Wizards start leaning a little bit back towards core sets being 100% reprints? Not reprinting Bob or Goyf every core set obviously, but would it be so bad to see a couple staples like Bolt or Path show up in a core set one year, then a couple other low-cost staples the next year? Plus since going to the "core sets can have new cards" idea core sets also rotate each year, so they won't be in Standard as long.

The thing keeping Path and Bolt out of the Core Set is their power level for Standard. They put Bolt in M11 remember. And M13 brought back Rancor. They're quite willing to reprint staple cards in core sets, but only if they think Standard can handle it.

I think the reason they moved to a larger percentage of new cards in Core Sets is simple that packs full of new cards sell better than packs full of cards everyone has already. Thragtusk and Archangel of Thune probably move a lot more packs than reprinting Titans for another year would.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Jenx posted:

This is just a minor nitpick, but Modern is not an eternal format. So far the only eternal formats are Vintage and Legacy. Modern is a non-rotation format, but it's not eternal. (Eternal means that card legality includes Magic card ever printed with the standard card back and a non-silver border.)

"Eternal" really sounds like it should mean "non-rotating".

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Of the things to argue about in Magic, it seems like one of the more pointless.

So we have nothing new coming out until May, when Journey Into Nyx, the Modern Event Deck and Jace v Vraska Duel Decks all drop, right?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Niton posted:

It's still kind of surprising, since it implies that the few players who played with it were overall successful with the strategy. The only one that comes close is Boulderfall, and I suspect that's just because Boulderfall got cast a tiny % of the time people included it in their decks.

Maybe Messenger's Speed is a legitimate 22nd/23rd card in aggro archetypes now? :iiam:

It's a card that almost no one includes in their deck, but the few times it actually gets cast it's being used to push through lethal. The way those results are calculated doesn't count the games where it was drawn but never cast, which is probably a lot. Same principle as Boulderfall: decks that are running it might lose a lot, but the games where they actually somehow manage to cast it are the games they win.

It's really bad data.

Look at Chromanticore and Ashen Rider, too. When you only look at the times the card is cast, then of course Ashen Rider wins you games. Not counting games where it was drawn but not cast hugely skews the data.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 19, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
There's no way an MTG movie actually happens before 2020.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Isn't the whole thing with the Phyrexians that they can't Planeswalk, 'cause if they could they would have taken over the whole multiverse by now?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

ScarletBrother posted:

Magic lore is so loving convoluted.

And if there ever is a movie, none of that lore will show up in it, and five or six nerds are gonna be sooooo mad.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm still mad about my two Baron Sengirs getting stolen in 7th grade.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

whydirt posted:

I've always thought it was weird how there was so much variation in color saturation (don't kill me if I'm not using the right printing jargon!) in old frame card faces while the card back has been pretty consistent. Anyone with better knowledge about printing processes have some idea why that might have happened?

I think they intentionally shifted it between sets, like they tried a paler look for Revised then went dark again with 4th and Ice Age, but yeah, it's weird how few printing errors there were on the backs of the cards. Maybe they printed blank-on-one-side card stock by the ton ahead of time and so had more chance for QA whereas the fronts were printed and packaged all in one go?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

jassi007 posted:

I've played since revised :corsair: but I hate when things don't match so I have to play modern and new frames, gently caress legacy with a delver and a dual land and a FS goyf you can't mix poo poo like that. I'm going to play legacy affinity with FTV ancient tombs.

If they ever break the reserve list it's gonna be for the spergs like you.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
PT Commentary is the usual parade of :ughh:.

No, Resto Angel can't blink Birthing Pod, christ you guys.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Primeval Titan just doing work as a 6/6 trample with Blood Moon turning off the Valakuts. I love how in these formats sometimes a big creature is just enough on its own, since no one is running unconditional removal other than Path.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Korak posted:

Is this Tomas Glied dude running foil lands and non-foil creatures/spells? Isn't that a huge no-no?

Nah, I just saw a foil Nacatl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I heard them say that the Teferi was a one-of out of the sideboard, but with these commentators who knows. Eagerly awaiting the deck tech.

• Locked thread