Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Anybody have any suggestions over good places to play in the DFW area? Finding places for FNM seems to be pretty easy, I just don't feel like doing a bunch of homework figuring out which of this long list is decent enough.

Hope I am not breaking some thread rule by asking, but hey at least I read the op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mehall posted:

Since Liverpool jas had a GP announced for March, I'm planning on attending my first ever GP!

the question is: Do I attend and play, or do I apply to judge at the event?

Attend and play. Judging is a thankless job that sucks the fun out the event in my eyes unless things have drastically changed in the last few years.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mick foley forever posted:

a mere $14 for a single card lmao

You sure didn't pick the right hobby if this kind of price bothers you.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

i did actually because it's possible to get good cards without paying more than $10 on them my niggas, at least in standard.

The savings $$$!!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

lol im not even trying to stir poo poo up by saying "i don't want to pay lots of money on a card game, even one that i like, but i dont care if other people do unless its for awful proxies" why are you all so defensive

I am not being defensive at all. I was merely pointing out the massive savings between the 10 dollar card and the 14. Good on you bro.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Why is magic online still so terrible? This seems exactly like the same clunky client we were played in the early 2000's, whatever the name of it was back then.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Entropic posted:

So Marshall Sutcliffe from the Limited Resources podcast has a new interview podcast called the 1-for-1, and his first interview with Jon Loucks gives a lot of insight into why MTGO is stuck the way it is. WOTC's digital division sounds like an incredibly frustrating place to work.

So what I got out of this podcast is that MTGO takes a backseat to the physical game(duh). Also that most of the coding resources are used to make the next sets work within the current client and very little is used to improve the client.

It also seems that Jon Loucks was the cliche "new guy" who was trying to change everything and while possibly going about it the wrong way. By his own admission it seems all he did was slightly improve some communication and piss people off. He was frustrated by change happening too slowly and then while also trying to take the side of sacrificing the short term for the long term. Confusing dude.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 8, 2014

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Mortimer posted:

Isn't wizards/hasbro a multi multi million dollar corporation with the resources to hire a few programmers?

Well I guess he was trying to also say that wizards themselves are a small company and that isn't as feasible as you might think. Who knows!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I just got back from a FNM which had 200+ players. I Went 8-2(4 rounds) and got 4 whole packs. I guess maybe I was expecting a bigger prize pool or something.

I also experienced my first opponent to sideboard against before our first match. He didn't understand why this would be a dick move even after I tried to explain to him.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Jabor posted:

It depends on how deep the prize pool goes. If they pay out, for example, one pack per win, that's 2 packs given out per entrant, which is pretty good.

If they don't pay out that deep then you're kind of getting screwed - either the prize pool is tiny, or they're not running enough rounds to properly differentiate people.

This isn't just bad manners, it's actually straight-up cheating (unless he used his tuned-against-you maindeck as his first-game deck for every single match). You should have called a judge.

Is that true for a FNM that don't use decklists?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Bertoncheaty didn't top 8 this weekend. Good.

What is the history here?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I just watched a few youtubes that featured his cheating. I guess its fair to say that if he was caught cheating on cam twice, his cheating had to be pretty rampant during all his other games.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Jesus, lunchtime for me has been a trip down memory lane. Mike Long has to be the biggest douche bag in all of MTG history still is to this day. After watching a few of his more recent videos (whatever his new scam is) , it still makes me chuckle to know he hasn't changed one bit.

On the other hand I watch these old tournaments and cringe to watch them ruin cards that are now worth thousands today.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I only want the cards I own to be expensive and the cards I don't to be cheap. Thanks.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

57Hz posted:

Is there an easy way I can take an inventory of all my cards? I've been collecting for about 10 years but have never sat down and actually looked at what all I have.

I'd really prefer not typing everything in by hand into a spreadsheet or DeckBox or whatever.

Well unless they build a coinstar machine for magic cards, you are going to have to inventory like you would for anything else.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Madmarker posted:

You don't, From the Vault is a set designed as a present from wizards to store owners where they are able to mark up costs considerably, A more attainable goal is 1.5-3 times msrp, and thats if you are friends with a store owner who is getting it.

Hasn't the goal of these sets just been to piss people off?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Mercury Crusader posted:

My LGS is doing a raffle for them, and giving out tickets to everybody that participates in an event (either FNM or any of the other casual events they run like EDH) and sticks around to the end, just to make sure it's locals that are getting a chance to buy it. They're also selling it at MSRP instead of marking it up. A lot of us were talking about wanting to get it mostly for Rolling Earthquake, and I know some want that shiny Living Death, so there's gonna be a lot of competition for it.

Are these considered just reprints or are they going to be in the next standard block?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

I've never been sure of the type of deck that would really want to play Armaggedon.

A deck where creatures and/or artifacts that grant mana.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I like playing MonoB devotion because I like seeing the despair in control players' eyes.

It does make people loving salty, that is for sure.

So let me ask a few dumb questions about Khans. Why are people calling this a "wedge" block? After a bit of googling, I am guessing this means that the majority of everything is going to be tri-color?

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 13, 2014

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Thanks everyone for clearing that up. Another stupid question out of the way.

Unpopular opinion time! Anybody else get a headache from playing against decks with 3+ colors? The effort of double checking lands to ensure that they they come into play tapped or not, pay the appropriate life to use/untap, manage counters, or if they even have the right amounts of each color at all is enough to give me tired head.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Madmarker posted:

Mono-Black doesn't destroy UW. Straight Mono-B devotion is on pretty equal footing with UW. B/r devotion is a bit stronger against UW as it has access to Rakdos Return and Sire of Insanity as sideboard options. B/g has a slight edge against the D-sphere version only.

UW is like 45% against the field, most decks have a slight advantage against a UW list that isn't tuned for the matchup.

Does UW simply scoop when Slaughter Games is cast? It would seem if you are splashing red that would be a better sideboard option than either Rakdos or Sire for that matchup.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Rakdos' Return is better than Slaughter Games in almost every situation.

Maybe that's what I don't understand. I don't see how it does. The only way Rakdos is going to get through is if no counter is available and if it does how many threats can it clear? I must be missing something pretty big in this matchup to not see it your way.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

When a new set comes out, what is the right amount of booster boxes for those who have disposable income?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I usually buy a foreign box just to have the commons/uncommons to play with...

How much more are those usually?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

What a boring loving argument. :barf:

Is there a decent #mtgfinance type website out there that any of your frequent regularly?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Molybdenum posted:

Brainstorm brewery, quiet speculation, mtgstocks

Wow, thank you!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Anybody play faerie in modern? After playing an old faerie deck I had back when it was in standard I was surprised that some people are still playing it at my LGS.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Bitterblossom got unbanned in modern, which made people think Faeries was back.

Hasn't made waves yet. drat card is like 80 now because of speculations

No poo poo, I have like 8 of them. $$$$$$$$$

Why In the hell would it be banned?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

The same reason Wild Nactl was banned.
Wizards thought is made the deck it was in absolutely busted. They were wrong.

I have no clue in what the meta is right now but it seems like a middle of the pack is possible without too much effort. Just seems harder to find modern being run at a LGS near me. I would prefer to have a format outside of standard that isnt the madness legacy is.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Which Jace is THE Jace?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

How many eidolon triggers did Ryan miss there?

(supposedly 2x triggers when his opponent won with 4 health.)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Cernunnos posted:

Y'know what we need right about now? Another Ice Age set. :v:

Really I just want them to reprint Snow-Covered Lands so I can get them in large quantities for a decent price.

No way. Legacy needs to get more and more expensive every year.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I never got the allure of foils. My brain is dysfunctional to like magic but not dysfunctional enough to go all in.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Fine, I phrased it wrong. He was still trying to "get me" which is assholeish.

Someone was pulling dumb poo poo like this on an opponent that was playing magic for the first time at my last FNM. He put the store manager in such a rage he decided to rant on the entire 170 player crowd about FNM being about fun and to stop being dicks.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mailorder bees! posted:

Oh hey, I think you were at the store I was judging at, because the Standard HJ did that Friday. I was running the sealed event in the back of the store when I suddenly heard the Standard event go quiet and the HJ started talking a bunch, but I couldn't really hear him.

I heard a bit about it later from one of the Standard floor judges, but I didn't know all the details because I left after sealed was done.

If you judge at madness in plano, then yes you were there.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Zemyla posted:

I really am hoping UWR gives us a creature with haste and hexproof.

I want more things to be hexproof.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Reprint all the cards. :getin:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

LordSaturn posted:

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/95196941793/how-do-you-justify-nonbasic-lands-at-rare-theyre

It's never explicitly called out, and it probably can't be, but good rare duals move packs, guaranteed.

Ugh, rare dual lands have always sucked because they are cards you need but aren't exciting. Nothing like new players opening packs only to hear "ugh, its a land."

Speaking of what sells packs. I am pretty sure full art lands would sell more packs. Its about time those get a reprint or something.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

i guarantee you noone has ever said 'ugh, a shock'

Your guarantees blow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Ultima66 posted:

It's almost completely unplayable in limited. It requires 2 creatures in play to do anything, wastes 7 mana of yours if they have any instant speed removal whatsoever, and with less than 3 creatures in play it doesn't actually ever increase the amount of damage you will be doing. Also it requires 9 mana to be spent before ever doing anything, at which point you aren't allowed to attack with your biggest creature. Just consider that if your opponent has any blockers out that will trade for your guys, you probably can't attack with the throne, since you have to leave your guys back so it will do something the next turn. Then, assuming your opponent has no instant speed removal to blow you out, or sorcery speed removal to greatly hinder the effect of the throne, you will probably get 6-8 extra damage after spending 5 mana the next turn, which is a best case scenario. A simple Vulshok Morningstar will often represent 8 damage in that scenario, does not require investing 5 more mana the next turn, and is far more useful in situations where you have 0, 1, or 2 creatures on board. An Armory of Iroas can often represent 5 or 6 damage in that scenario, also costs 4 to play and equip, and isn't even particularly strong. Even reluctantly playable Bladed Pinions represents a better opportunity to kill an opponent than the throne in most scenarios.

E:

I'm not trying to pick on you in particular but this is something myself and another subset of the Magic playing goons outside of this thread have picked up on a lot:

I do want to put this in the nicest way possible but I think it really speaks volumes about a lot of people in this thread. The kind of posters who constantly talk about how Jace is insufferable, old art is good, old card frames are better, Steve Argyle sexism, blah blah blah, are the ones who always post opinions like this. Especially the ones who make a lot of posts about how awesome the flavor of something is. I don't want to name names or anything, and I can't honestly remember if this is true about you, because IIRC it's not, but last time there was a big "look up your w/l record from your pwp history on kavu!" thing going on, the goons with overall losing records were pretty much all in this group of people as well.

I guess this isn't really the best place for poo poo like this, but just pointing it out. And hey, it does entertain me to an extent.

Can someone explain to me the point trying to be made here?

• Locked thread