Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

One day this will be back in Standard and it will be brewed around.

So I think I ask it every new thread but why doesn't WotC or SCG support Block Constructed more? I think it leads to more interesting played decks than some other formats, with the downside being the chance to brew is theoretically less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
It can win a tournament but you're going to need to run hot. If your opponent shuts down your big cards, you have a bunch of wipeble things. The version with 4 Predator Oozes can get there after a board wipe. It's popular online because it's cheap and you can grind with it.

So I was watching one of the main modern brewers on twitch the other day and he was trying out a necrotic ooze deck. Seemed interesting.

4 Color Gifts seems to making a comeback online right now too.

Korak fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 8, 2014

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Tharizdun posted:

Karametra might be the worst-conceived god from a design standpoint. Oh, you've got 5 mana? Let's get you some land ramp! :fuckoff: I can think of at least three better things to do in GW. Even "gain 5 life" would be more useful.
I'm hoping we get the development "score card" for Karametra in a future dailymtg article or as a bone thrown by Maro as to what happened. I think it's obvious that its ability was changed last minute with little testing. I don't believe the Future League somehow broke a 3-4 mana Karametra with the same ability.

Its Emmera + Voice switcharoo all over again.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
BBD first person that gets to ultimate Kiora on camera. :D Kiora may be the real deal. Kiora +1 followed with Jace +1 is deceptively powerful, even if your opponent tries to go after your planeswalkers you're putting up big pseudo-fogs that allow you to keep yourself in the game.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

jassi007 posted:

Anytime your opponent chooses, they always make the choice that is best for them. Ok have a 4/3, bolt it. You have done zero damage. Ok take 4 damage, I kill you next turn, you failed to kill me so your 4 damage = 0 damage. The only time it isn't bad, is when your opponent has no answers/can't win anyway/can't deal with it, and even then in that case you are most likely going to win with any card. When your opponent has no plays, anything you play is going to be good. Think about this. If you cast vexing devil, and next turn I remove it, you have nothing. If you had instead cast any 3 damage one mana burn spell, you would have done 3 damage.
Vexing Devil is great in Modern Burn. If it was in the Standard format right now it would be a really good card for Standard RWb Burn. It really was 1 format too soon.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Apparently WotC is running some kind of super tourny today, starting 2pm est? https://twitter.com/search?q=mtgsuper

If I was a card dev I would have changed punisher mechanics to the player casting the spell chooses which mode. Instantly makes a lot of these "bad cards" into good or great cards.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
^^ You're a liar but I'm also enjoying coverage. :P Marshall has grown on me but he's still pretty bad.

RoleModel posted:

That's Adrian Sullivan, the pro Magic player version of your grandpa that says "BACK IN MY DAY..."
Dude got his inner elbow tattoo'd, that's pretty hardcore. UW still a force in this meta, although bile blight on tokens is a nasty thing.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
SCG coverage: Brad Nelson on RW Burn down a game vs GR Monsters. I think he had lethal if opponent didn't exile the phoenix, or if the scavenging ooze came down. Close one and GR is playing quite a few X/2's that turn on searing bloods. Quick edit: Brad dropped the first(?) Firedancer on cam. Curious how well it'll do!

Holy poo poo, opponent plays Ruric Thar. Brad swings with phoenix. Block, 2 damage on ruric, phoenix dies. Brad casts helix on opponent, does himself 6 due to trigger but gets back phoenix and does 4 damage to ruric due to Firedancer. Ruric dead.

edit3: Wow Brad dies to overloaded Mizzium wiping his board, mutavault does him in. Opponent was at 4.

WotC coverage: Reid lost rd 3 is 2-1. Owen 2-1. Mihara 2-1. Owen posted a pic of his deck.

Korak fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 8, 2014

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Where can we see the decklists being played right now? I want to see Brad Nelsons list and compare it to what I posted in the deckbrew thread.
Deck tech has been filmed and apparently he's running the same deck as his premium side SCG post from this week.

Deck tech going up now!

Korak fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 8, 2014

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
WotC update: Mihara on cam round 5 playing a crazy fun Esper Midrange creatures deck. Was powerful enough to beat turn 2 packrat spam(although one turn was very hairy). He drew about 4 cards off Ephara which he also managed to activate and swing twice with.

New archtype? Brimaz + good white 2 drops + spear + blood baron + detention sphere? I mean token creators + blood baron is just really freaking good.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Does anyone know how the SCG match Kent Ketter (G/R Monsters) vs Skyler Canada (Bant Walkers) went? Any interesting plays? Who won? Also how coked out were those parents to name those kids. :lol:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

BizarroAzrael posted:

Has Brimaz always been $30, or has something already made him spike? Esper list sound cool though.
He pretty much started that high. Sell your copies now and buy him when the hype train dies down a bit. We're going to see him a lot for the next 2+ years(I genuinely think he'll see some limited Modern play) but I don't think he's $30+ stable good.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
BBD 1-0 over mono blue with his Bant Walkers deck. Being able to bring in 4 Mistcutter Hydras, 3-4 Brimaz against blue decks seems good for the sideboard.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Dehtraen posted:

Best part is how he has periodically stroked the stuffed animals head.

I want a sound clip of Osyp's "WHAT?!" to hearing Todd say that Thoughtseize was a skill intensive card.
Osyp Lebedowicz ‏@OsypL 16m Me and @strong_sad in the booth at #SCGNASH in a couple of minutes! "Is there a bleep button?"

Has SCG found a new commentator dream team?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Ugh Alex Bertoncini looks like he's going to top 8 another SCG Open since coming back.

Magic: The Gathering: The Megathread: Tenth Edition: Please Ban 2explores

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
How is this guy 8-(2) with this Gb deck? He must have ran smoking hot.

edit: Wow UW Control mirror where post sideboard one guy has boarded into what is an active Ephara with 2 frostburn weirds and of course 2 detention spheres on the board.

Korak fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 9, 2014

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

AgentSythe posted:

Man, the broadcast teams without Cedric are just unwatchable. Also, how was the Reuben-replacement been?
Really nervous and doesn't know how to talk naturally.

UW Control match was crazy. Non-Ephara guy is on 4 cards in his deck, for some reason not running 1 elixir. Ultimates his Jace right after ultimating his Elspeth. He goes to grab his opponent's deck and finds an Ephara. Goes on beat down for the win.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Is there a card similar to Sensei Divining Top that is legal in modern?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
So Mono Blue got 2 Top 8s for SCG Open, including winning the whole thing. BBD's Bant Walkers almost made top 8 but lost the last match to Adrian Sullivan's UW control. Not sure how CVM did. Brad's burn deck got a terrible 180th+.

WotC coverage is back, Mihara's deck still seems really good. Needs a meta game tweak of the numbers, I'd probably move it to a more controlling shell. Aww he just lost to mono black pack rat spam. :(

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
WotC event update: Super spicy board states between Mihara's Esper Good Stuff deck vs RG Monsters with active Xenagos god out.

Mihara wins, Imposing Soverign doing a god's work of keeping nasty, large and hasty RG creatures from pressuring him. Fun little trick with Brimaz + instant speed removal. Block to get your free token, then kill the other creature.

Owen got top 8 for the Modern Masters draft, should start in 30 minutes to a hour so 4:30-5pm est.

Korak fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 9, 2014

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Draft started and they're watching Mihara. Pros on twitter making fun of his p1p1 that he's probably not going to use(Esperzoa.) Looks like he's going to have a mostly green deck splashing for a few other things.

Also if I'm counting right he's been passed 3 empty the warrens and a few other Storm archtype cards passed. If someone is ballsy in his pod they're going to have a ridiculous storm deck.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
The supposed reason is it was a limited run to find out if there's a market for it... but I don't understand what company they get to print cards that doesn't have the capacity to print more if the demand is there? Like you could even, shocking I know, attempt to develop relationships with another company for an exclusive new partnership. It seems like the people that run WotC and now Hasbro overlords don't really know what they're doing.

Mihara's deck is too fair for Modern Masters. Think he's going to be out 6-8th place. Praying someone in his pod grabbed the storm deck and destroys everyone. Curious if someone in the other pod could draft the artifacts deck, they might have an easy match up till the finals.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Molybdenum posted:

Offset presses don't really like downtime. The more it runs, the more money you make. They only really stop to put in new plates. It wouldn't surprise me if the print house has their production scheduled for the next 6mo-1yr
Hence 'make a new business friend' or help expand the existing one. They know there's a huge market for it.

Mihara takes the first game, bounced opponents suspended creature and then killed two creatures with spliced Torrent. Just overran opponent that was stuck on mono blue lands with some white in his hand.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

AgentSythe posted:

Did Feline end up winning? I had to step away from the coverage. She is an absolute master. In the SCG Open she won last year, she resolved a Ponder (reordering the top 3 cards) with one hand. She's a combo robot sent from the future to stop people from playing Stoneforge Mystics.
Apparently she does alters so maybe she's really talented with her fingers. Artists!

She did end up winning and got 9th place. Tenjum squeaked in to 8th.

TicalStal posted:

I'm a noob when it comes to GPs but if you pre register online you can fly in Friday night and register your deck Saturday before the tournament right? Also how early should you arrive on saturday to the tournament to make sure you can get that exclusive playmat before it runs out?
I think they changed this recently but don't quote me on it.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
For anyone bored of just UW Control but still want to play control this deck from Nashville did some pretty incredible things on camera taking 4th place.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Bonus posted:

Just thought of an interesting card, and I was wondering, what do you think an effect like this could be costed at?

I'd make it rare and put it at something like 3BB
Feels like there are cards kind of similar to this? BB to see possible competitive play, realistically if Wizards is making it 2BB.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Jabor posted:

Seems disgustingly powerful at that cheap. Single-handedly making creature-based aggro unplayable.

At the very least it'd have to be symmetrical to make it that cheap.
In a game with 4 mana boardwipes, 3 mana pseudo-boardwipes, and 2 mana kill spells... Eh? Maybe make it "until end of turn"?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Even funnier is that Mattias hunt was playtesting with that guy a while earlier, and Hunt did it too to topdeck a D-SPhere. Let me see if I can find the footage.

E: this video, about 35 mins in: http://www.twitch.tv/themeadery/c/3681340
Watched that night and they were doing extremely casual(and sloppy) play testing. He's never been accused in a professional setting and has been on cam plenty. Also if he is cheating at events its not showing in his finishes.

End of Life Guy posted:

I thought the whole point of the meadery was practice amongst friends. Why cheat if it's practice for the real thing?
Pros often do this in testing. Right now testing for modern in spain they'll set up nut draw hands and all sorts of scenarios to see if you can beat it.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

goferchan posted:

Sometimes, sometimes it's not. Cockatrice, the free MtG client, has a really, really bad RNG -- in my experience it shits itself if you try and roll a d2 (for a coin flip) and it's way better to roll a d20 and just call odds or evens. I know this is totally anecdotal and could be a freak occurrence but an opponent and I sat there rolling d2s back and forth for a minute and I rolled ten 1s and he rolled ten 2s. Whatever algorithm they use seems seriously hosed
Not saying cockatrice's RNG couldn't be bad, but most like you and your opponent hit streaks that make your puny human brain see a pattern where none really exists.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
:lol: Conspiracy code broken in less than a hour. I give them credit for trying.

While I'm happy to see this new set, haven't people tried this before and it didn't work out well? I mean yes this is designed from the ground up to work in a multiplayer setting but it seems too commandery in a bad way.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

bhsman posted:

Block-recur-recast (2 damage via Purphoros) with Murder King must be the most maddening thing you can do to someone with this deck.

Well, it would be if they understood what all your cards do none of them do :ssh:.

EDIT: Part of me wants to sit down and just write out all the different interactions this deck has.
Do this. :D

Zonekeeper posted:

At the very least people who cube will be all over this poo poo - especially the cards that mess with the draft itself. Plus there's always the odd chance that the set has Legacy playables in it.
Oh I agree it's going to be a fun attempt to bring a lot of different minded players together. Limited junkies might enjoy it. Cube/commander players definitely should enjoy it. It's just my philosophy of what WotC should be doing with every set is pushing Standard/Modern, and this set doesn't look like it will be allowed in any other format?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Yeah Cogwork seems like an awesome pick up in pack 1, not worth it if it comes pack 3.

So the number crunching has begun with the realization that this set follows a new scheme for distribution of cards, or this set only has about 60 new cards.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Count Bleck posted:

I also eagerly await the guy who puts his Cogwork back in to take a playable and ANOTHER Cogwork :getin:
Chaining Cogworks to gently caress with people :aaaaa:

I sort of want a GP Conspiracy just to see how much of a clusterfuck it would be to cover it on camera.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Literally The Worst posted:

I put back all the Cogworks and take everything.
Oh my god drafting 5-6 cogworks in the first 2 packs, completely wrecking the 3rd pack by completely cutting off a color. :aaaaa:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
If they did a free spell they'd probably do the Pacts, but even then there's no need in a limited environment for that. Any reprints will be focused on either mana consistency improvements or fun funky multiplayer friendly cards. I do think the idea they reprint some filter lands or something akin is a possibility.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
What if they only program the "beta" client for the new set? This would allow them to get more people to use v4.

efb beaten

knowonecanknow posted:

Got a question I'm hoping to get resolved. If I play a Gray Merchant of Asphodel is there any way for my opponent to block the damage done by the card as it enters the battlefield, can you cast an instant against it before it finishes "entering the battlefield"?
If you cast Grey Merchant on an empty field(no black pips) and it dies before the etb ability resolves, then nothing happens. If you have something out, then it only counts those pips.

Korak fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 13, 2014

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Kabanaw posted:

Official announcement of Conspiracy

Important: Conspiracy will not be available online, but certain cards from the set will be in Vintage Masters.
:lol:This is really pathetic and another reason why they need to sack the current MTGO team and hire some competent programmers.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

threefive posted:

Knowing multiple people at WOTC: no one does this. They'd be fired instantly.
People are dumb, I wouldn't be shocked that someone at wizards(remember its a decently sized company) gets enough inside info about upcoming cards and FFL type stuff, and speculates based on that. How would you ever prove it? There's also the fact that we know there are several leaks within the company since MTGSalvation has legitimately spoiled cards a long ways off from their official spoiler day debut.

Now do I think the design team people do this? No.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Mob posted:

What you guys often fail to understand it that until VERY recently, almost every single WotC employee who is in a position to do what you're describing is loving. terrible. at Magic and no amount of FFL testing is going to give them a clue about what will be hot or not.
The employees on last weeks stream were jerking off quite a bit "We didn't nail down the exact 60 but we did figure out the current meta would shape up like it has." Is it bullshit? I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Boxn posted:

Rich Hagon and BDM combo, great commentators together, add Randy Buehler to either and it's good too.
Randy Buehler has been destroying it on commentary lately. Really good commentary from him, especially last week when he was doing updates between gameplay.

Lots of people have said it and I agree that they really need to learn some of the positive things from poker tv shows, specifically World Poker Tour.

• Locked thread