Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

uggy posted:

I do actually wonder what everybody's fav/pet card is.

wild mongrel

My bomb rear end Onslaught foil Arcanis, the Omnipotent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sleepy Owl posted:

post cards that you like ironically

Does Alaborn Zealot count?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

carborexic posted:

Is there any particular reason why they cut back on using quotations from Shakespeare, Coleridge, Poe, Keats, Plato, even the New Testament and the Qu'ran, and so forth, as flavor text?

Maybe after the Zach Snyder adaptation of Hamlet drops the geek community will rediscover Shakespeare.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Re: FTV: Annihilation

This one's going to be as boring as FTV: Legends was, isn't it?

EDIT: I guess they'll reprint Damnation and pretend that will satisfy the demand for reprints :downs:

Star Man fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 10, 2014

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Force of Will might as well be written off as a part of the paper reserved list along with its friends like Wasteland. It's also why I'm not rebuying into Legacy after letting go of my stack because this poo poo has gotten out of control. Can't even afford to fall back into Modern.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

jassi007 posted:

They'll reprint it someday, either a judge foil or part of FTV, or if for some reason they're desperate to move some product.

poo poo, they put a number of Thragtusks into one deck of every event deck series for a year and it still didn't do a loving thing to its price.

The only way it will be good enough is to do it in a controlled mass like Modern Masters, but bigger. I get why Force of Will and its cousins won't see the light of day in a Standard-legal set and have no problem with it.

This poo poo with Legacy single prices is just loving bullshit. It feels good to sell a playset of Wastelands three years later for more than double what I got them for, but replacing the components of the Legacy decks I let go of is going to cost as much as a semester of school and Modern is creeping behind it. I entered Magic with the experience of two other TCGs behind me and knew that it was going to be a money sink and that power cards carry a price. It was easier in 2009, but not now. But I'm over dropping $400 for a playset of lands and can't keep up anymore.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

And thus the argument for Force at uncommon: gently caress single prices! When "land that gets other land" costs over twice as much as "the biggest creature who literally bends time and is immune to being murdered" something's terribly loving wrong.

I mean, gently caress, the most exciting thing they could do in M15 isn't printing a giant dragon that breathes fire and also lightning, but reprinting a hill with trees on it they already printed a decade ago.

The hell is wrong with this game?

Because even if that dragon breathed naked women for all the men in the land to enjoy, the card would still be an unplayable eight-drop. The hill with trees gets you the deserted island that lets you cast the undercosted fatass that gets stronger just because you sacrificed the hill with trees.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Kabanaw posted:

And we've kind of forgotten Vintage Masters in this whole thing. Is there any chance Force ISN'T printed in that set?

Besides being on the pseudo MTGO reserved list.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Did the best I could but the FS frame seems to be perfectly designed to cut off all the interesting parts of the MMA art, now matter how I gently caress around with it. Plus MSE's export does truly horrid things to image quality.

It exports in 96 dpi for whatever the gently caress

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

There was someone at an SCG playing Thopter Combo in Legacy that used those as thopter tokens. I think it was in 2010.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You know what you can do with a written list of cards that you can't with a photo? You can cross the cards off the list as they are played and don't have to remember what's still there.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
When I took Elves to a local Modern event, I had no delusions that it was like its cousin in Legacy and just treated it as an aggro deck. Though it did have the ability to cast a big rear end Banefire or Emrakul is the chance came, but I was more concentrated on attacking. What sucks was that there was someone that day playing a crappy mill deck and I was hoping so bad to play against them when I had maindeck Emrakul.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Ragnar34 posted:

And while we're releasing tribal planeswalkers, I want a goblin. Coinflips must be involved.

I believe you mean games.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Zoness posted:

People tend to forget that Nissa was actually part of a deck that worked well against Jund until Jund players adapted (more blightning).

I remember that deck as being played by someone that was pretty good in my area and it was my first major personal victory with Red Deck Wins. And that it sucked after its first like month of play.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I've thought about making big titted anime land alters for a quick buck when I'm in a bind but I have too much self-respect. Though I have thought about getting into making playmats. I love the one I did for myself with the album cover of Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast.

EDIT: Here it is. I didn't get much further than this with it and ended up having Steve Argyle and Dan Baker draw on the sides I never got to.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 25, 2014

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Boxman posted:

EDIT: Also that Top is hilarious. The original art is just this boring old top sitting on a table and the alter is like FIRE LIGHTNING WHIZ BAAAAAANG

I'd love to know what your opinion of a still life is.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You know, with Mt. Gox going down in flames and all the jokes about what they were before they became a bitcoin website, I have to ask: was their MTGO service any good?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Entropic posted:

Yeah, what was the flavor of Morph supposed to be, for those of us who weren't playing at the time and didn't read the schlocky novels?

It's the morph spider as Jerry Lee mentioned. They're in some of the illustrations for cards with morph, but they're not very prominent. Here's a few of them:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Carrasco posted:

Tarmogoyf doesn't count supertypes, though, otherwise everyone would be playing snow lands exclusively.

Tribal. Actually, tribal isn't a supertype. It just looks like it is because it's always the preceding word.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

C-Euro posted:

Actually, there's a dude at my LGS with a Thassa EDH deck where he runs all Snow-Covered Islands for basics, and I always forget to ask him why that's the case. Any ideas?

Most people do it for the sake of being able to. I bought a bunch of Coldsnap snow-covered basic lands to play with them in the formats they were allowed in. Even had to point out to someone that they don't get the damage bonus from Molten Rain because they assumed that snow-covered basic lands were non-basic.

There's also a practical reason to use snow-covered lands, and that's to counteract the downside to Extraplanar Lens If you're the only one in the group with Snow-Covered Islands, only you are going to get the benefit of extra mana if you use one to imprint on the lens.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'm a man who spent IRL Americadollars on a thing that makes my eyes glow when I shoot more people in TF2 and even I'm starting to think Magic is so insane that I should sell my poo poo and enjoy the money.

It's what I did. Got tired of keeping up with this nonsense.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
After seeing a picture of a bunch of Modern Masters cases on SCG's Facebook for GP Richmond, I'm really starting to wonder how much of the blame SCG carries in all this. Hopefully zero because it sounds :tinfoil: as hell, but god drat.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Do you ever fantasize about being not a grade-schooler with means in 1996 and getting moxes and dual lands super cheap before people know what rares were good, or even before magic was going to be a thing?

Well that was us, collectively, with modern, between 24 and up to about 6 months ago. Fetches were cheap, pods and splinter twins and fastlands and collonades and all sorts of poo poo were cheap. I got fulminators and chords and remands for cheap.

People are turned off now but we just went through the golden age of modern pricing and it will never be the same again. I think lots of people's professed hate at the format and its prices is a projection of their own bad feelings for not recognizing this.

Now, if you've been into the game less than one year that is a completely different situation and I can totally understand.

The time to buy into Modern was during that year between Extended getting cut down from seven years to four years and when Modern was announced. So if you got those staple cards that were no longer good for Extended but still good for Legacy, then you were okay. That was when I got my Tarmogoyfs and many other things.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

qbert posted:

As someone who just got back into Magic in the last few months, I'm curious: how much were shock lands before the reprint?

I think they were $15-20. The original editions still have a higher value than the reprints, but did come down a bit. And that's the level of reprint you need to really get things back under control.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Boxn posted:

Remand wasn't from Return to Ravnica, it was from Ravnica, which is quite a while ago. I agree it sucks though, I need 2 more Arid Mesa's and Marsh Falts, and it's $160ish which is too much for 4 cards.

When I started playing Legacy in 2009, Urza's Saga was ten-years-old. In October of next year, Ravnica: City of Guilds is going to be ten-years-old.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

BJPaskoff posted:

Magic was sort of featured on The Daily Show last night, in a segment about bitcoins. You can watch the episode here: http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/thu-february-27-2014-kevin-roose It's the first segment.

I still want to know how their MODO exchange was when that was still a thing for them just for some history.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have had my experience of opening a $60 foil in a draft where there would be rare redrafts and went 2-1. I was lucky enough that there was enough money opened up in our pod that I still profited but god drat I wanted that foil Chandra, Pyromaster to flip for myself.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

First Bass posted:

Finding a Judge's Familiar at my local games store is not incomparable to finding the Higgs Boson.

If you're willing to wait I will mail you a playset for free.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
A friend gave me a pack of Pinky Pie sleeves as a gag gift for my birthday.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

For comparison, a good mid-to-senior lead type engineer could make around 300k/yr all-in at amzn/google/valve etc in Seattle. I can't imagine they offer close to that. You do get $100 month credit towards msrp (actual msrp aka $143/box) sealed product though. Now that's a perk!

They don't even get enough for a full box? I mean, only having to pay $34 for a box is pretty sweet and all, but that's it?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I gave this game up a year ago, but I recently saw the 2015 packs and they look nice. Good job, Wizards.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

DoctorOozy posted:

Now would be the time to take it up again, the M15 set is a good one.

No, I'm not taking this game back up because I'd want to go right back to Modern and Legacy and spend more than my parents do on their house payment for a playset of cards.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Man, if it weren't for the reserved list, that Farmstead would be worthless!

http://themeadery.org/articles/local-man-says-gently caress-it-rips-pack-of-beta-pulls-farmstead

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Elyv posted:

Arcanis saw near zero play in a totally different format and probably isn't being reprinted in a standard legal product anyway.

I thought that Arcanis was often reanimated in Odyssey-Onslaught type 2.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
That's it? You get a jacket for your trouble and money and time for going all the way out there?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Entropic posted:

You get your travel paid for too.

At least there's that. I've jetted around the country for volunteer work when I was Circle K and I swear I've gotten better accommodations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Banding is loving dumb no one likes it

Star Man fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 30, 2014

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Lorwyn's goblins were the best. They were dopey little thieves always seeking the greatest moment in life, but they had also had code and breaking it resulted in exile.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
rk post, you're the best and always will be the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I played in a Swiss Vintage Masters draft last night just because. I went 2-1. My first round opponent dropped after I won the first game. He or she played a Mox Ruby. My third round opponent played three copies of Paralyze on my Owl Familiar that had an attached Elephant Guide. I won the game ( and match) because I read the card.

• Locked thread