Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."
Liquimetal Coating. Started playing with an actual playgroup when SoM came out and when I figured out all the silly combos this enabled I fell in love. Easily my favorite innocuous card to drop on the table. Turn 2 Coating, Turn 3 Manic Vandal their land or two drop was my favorite thing to do in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

bhsman posted:

That's really interesting. I guess the overall cheapness of the deck has helped it spread more than anything else.

Is there somewhere else you have the deck list posted btw? Tappedout has been offline for more than a few days now and I was looking to get in on the murdergoat boat.

EDIT: I found one of the older versions you posted in the Brewhaus but I was specifically looking for the one with the BNG updates.

2MB fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 14, 2014

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

Awesome, thank you so much. Now if I can just get MTGO to work on my college's wifi I can start learning the deck.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

Yeesh, the price of Purphoros went up $1.50 since between buying them now and getting home less than an hour ago... Guess making dinner was more expensive than I expected! Hero's Downfall even jumped up a tiny bit in that time. Can't wait to start murdering goats in the name of more murder though.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

bhsman posted:

Technically they're being sacrificed to Purphoros, God of the Gyro Pit. :chef:

I really wasn't expecting this deck to be capable of such explosive bursts. Pyromancer into molten birth with purphoros on the table is such silly damage.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

bhsman posted:

And you have a 50/50 chance of getting Molten Birth back every time. :stonkhat:

I know you touched on it in your other post but could you go into a little more detail on the control matchup? I feel like counter spells would be a huge issue for a deck that relies on having critical pieces on the board. Do you just play it slow and grindy? Sphinx's Revelation also feels like a big kick in the balls.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

Just my 2 cents but wouldn't a larger playerbase improve store sales? Yea you're hurting on individual sales because no one is walking in and dropping $200+ at a time on whatever the Standard card of the month is, but the increased participation in events would allow stores to hold more of them. Heck, if you're getting more players in the store you could probably get away with charging more for price of admission to make up some of the hit. Plus instead of 7 or 8 guys spending $100, you'll have twice as many spending half as much, or potentially more since people would be able to afford to invest in more decks than normal. And there's the greater opportunity for growth with the increased interest. Of course all these numbers are made up and I'm sure someone can come in and correct me and my incorrect assumptions not based on reality (I primarily play MODO).

Attorney at Funk posted:

STANDARD SEASON FIRE

This made me laugh way too hard for having my whole family asleep in the house.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

kirtar posted:

This is basically the worst kind of player not because of the absolute disdain for "netdecks" (come on RDW isn't hard to brew), but because of the hypocrisy. I'm sure when this jerk plays things that he can actually tell are brews he makes fun of them for being terrible while playing his mono black devotion list that he totally came up with on his own.

I'm not even gonna try and understand the logic behind this kind of thinking because there just isn't any, but what kind of mental jumping jacks does someone like that have to go through to convince themselves that everyone playing RDW is doing so because they are un-original try hards? In the movie theater of his mind, does he think everyone plays the same decks for the same reasons? There is some seriously messed up in the head reasoning here. (I know it's probably because he's a bitter basement dweller but seriously why let yourself be so bitter)

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

Fox of Stone posted:

It's red-blue. The state alchemists can make the chimeras out of whatever parts they want you nerds. Just hopefully not their wives and daughters. :ohdear:

Dogmera - Daughter Dog

When this card enters the battlefield, both players weep uncontrollably.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

So I'm looking at getting into Modern to mostly play FNM but potentially looking at GP's and such further down the line. I was gonna get into Standard but having followed it over the past couple years it feels like a treadmill and I'd like to get a little more permanence out of my cards. My biggest issue is the insane cost of fetchlands right now. I simply can't justify almost $6-700 just on fetchlands alone. Are there any tournament quality decks that don't rely on their fetches? How much of a disadvantage would I be at if I took a list with fetches and opted to not use them? I really like playing control and tempo based decks (mono delver was one of my favorite decks when it was in standard) but I'm not very opposed to other archtypes that aren't combo. I don't plan on buying a whole deck all at once, probably just going to slowly pick up cards for a deck over the next 6-7 months. Apologizes in advance because I know this probably gets asked quite a bit.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

Jesus christ I haven't been following Modern prices apparently. Last time I was looking at Cryptics they were $25 a piece. They've doubled over just a couple months? Cliques jumped over $20 in that time span too. Do the prices on this stuff ever drop or is it just nowhere but up from here? Because god drat that's some inflation I don't think I could ever keep up with.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

jassi007 posted:

Fetches backed down in price a little but that seems more the exception than the rule. It is a non rotating format . Demand rises so only reprints really bring price relief

It seems like the reprints don't help a whole lot. They even make the situation worse in some cases by increasing demand far more than the supply they introduce into the market. I guess I'm stuck with limited :\

EDIT: Also I'm aware of the long windy road of grinding limited events in order to build up trade stock, trade standard money cards for singles, etc. I just don't have the time to sit at my LGS and binder grind so that route is unfortunately not a viable option for me.

2MB fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 5, 2014

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

Jabor posted:

If you are interested in playing Modern, it'd be a good idea to pick up all your shocklands while they're still in Standard. You don't want to be the guy who, after fetches are reprinted, is still not playing modern because it costs just as much as before, only now the shocks are the expensive part of the manabase.

Do you think Shocks will see a bit of a price drop as rotation approaches? Or is the fact that they're played in eternal formats mean that they'll just shoot up?

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

Pretty excited that I can't play for the next couple days since I'm using the older client. I could just download the wide beta client but haha no.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

I was the rear end in a top hat blue player in my playgroup from the get go. When we all started we would go to a local comic shop that had about 6-7 boxes of mostly unorganized cards (just sorted by color) that you could pull from for 10 cents a card. None of us were familiar with concepts like mana curves so most of our decks relied on jank combos that bent the rules since we didn't know any better. For example, one of the scariest decks at the table was a landfall deck that used Tideforce Elemental and Living Tsunami to repeatedly un-tap Tsunami for multiple combat steps. We had no clue how phases really worked so we thought creatures that untapped after swinging could swing again, because why not, they're untapped! :pseudo: Somehow we glossed over vigilance in this stupid idea.

Of course this led to an arms race once we figured out this insane interaction! I built a control deck with Sharding Sphinx, Thopter Assembly, whatever counterspell variants I could dig out of the box and a full playset of fabricate. Combined with Clock of Omens I would create an infinite army of Thopters and end the game in 1-2 turns. After this stupidity one of us finally looked up that YouTube video that explained how phases really work and it all fell apart.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

Elyv posted:

Sure, but from what we've seen so far this isn't a set filled with enormous colorless things. Channel is a lot worse when that's not the case.

Also, I posted that before I realized there was a common fireball.

It doesn't need to be colorless to be busted. If it's got X in the CMC then Channel is gonna be bonkers with it (queue posts of Gridlock, etc.)

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

muon posted:

I'm setting up a draft with some friends, any opinions on which of the most recent blocks were the most fun to draft?

Time Spiral because it has the largest variety of mechanics for your friends to associate with Magic before Hex enters their minds and confuses them with new words. (making GBS threads up two topics at once aw yea)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

I'm considering getting a box of Conspiracy to draft with a few friends. They've never done a draft before though and I figured Conspiracy would be a fun way to introduce them to it. Problem is we can usually only muster up 4-5 people on any given night. What might be some methods of dealing with the lower player count? Draft an extra pack? Two picks per pack? I don't want to do a Rotisserie draft because it seems like it goes against what Conspiracy is trying to accomplish and I don't think Conspiracy is meant to be played in Sealed either.

2MB fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 11, 2014

• Locked thread