Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Does anyone have a good link to JUST the card names in each set? I'm trying to get something I can cut and paste into deckbox, but all the sites I am finding have more than just the card names.

At the moment I am just trying to enter my current standard legal stuff.

*edit* NM, magiccards.info organized it into an easily cut/paste spreadsheet.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Kird Ape. Mostly cause my friends and I would randomly break into song whenever he was played. An illustrated book about kirds! Yeah, we were living at Mountain Home AFB, there really was nothing better to do.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Got a quick deckbox question.

The Forgestoker dragon release card that you got when you chose red, do you enter that as promo or foiled? I also got one from the pre release event deck, as well. So I have them entered one as foiled and one as promo. And the foil has no "set" and is valued at $4. While the Promo is valued at $5.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
What is the best way to buy singles without paying shipping 4 times? I need 4 pack rats, but no one has more than 1 or 2 on tcgplayer. I don't really want to be pinged for shipping two to four times.

I don't really have enough trade stuff to try trading on deckbox yet.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Got it thanks!

A big flaming stink posted:

Besides what was said above, Thoughtseize alone means that Theros blows BNG out of the water from a EV perspective. Outside of 3 or so mythics, BNG is pretty much a wasteland for value.

BNG is so close to feeling like Fallen Empries to me that the only thing they need is to have 4 different artworks for each card. And then massively overprint the set like it was a Pokemon card set.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 9, 2014

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
So I finally traded for 2 more nightveil specters, because they are fun as hell. My black deck is mean as hell with the Shadow Alley Courtizen popping intimidate on them.

One has to wonder, and I'm sure there has been discussion before, but how the hell did something as strong as NVS pass through as a 3 cost? Especially with the prevalence of the guildgates. So far with my gates, I can usually play an opponents cards if I don't flip one of their lands to snatch.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

toadee posted:

It's not that powerful, it fits well into a specific deck in this specific standard, after it rotates it will be a $0.25 card.

Really? Care to explain why a 3 cost 2/3 evasive that exiles and play's your opponents cards is not that strong? I've been out of magic a long time and do not have a big overview of whats been out since 7th ed. Can you point me to stronger black 3 drops? I'd like to see what real power is in the 3 drop slot. :)

Not being an rear end, I'm serious.

eidt

Madmarker posted:

To expand on this, its a devotion enabler. A 2/3 flying ophidian for 3 is neat, but not really good as creature on its own. In modern, neither faeries nor merfolk would want to run it, and mono-b isn't really a deck though people are trying to get it to work. It has a laughable body-to-cost ratio for legacy and does nothing nearly broken enough for vintage. Its a suitable standard man that devotion made awesome. However, once it is not in a format with devotion it will fall by the wayside, like Thragtusk before it.

What you are saying makes a little sense. Can you show me some example cards that are better spot holders?

*edit 2

I'm not even really running him for the devotion. I've run him in my blue black deck and he performs well. Mind you I don't FNM anymore so I might not be hitting the wall of meta. I do know the people I play with do FNM though. And so far it's testing well against them.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 10, 2014

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Madmarker posted:

1. Liliana of the Veil (not a creature but its a relevant black permanent in the 3 drop slot)
2. Geralf's Messenger

Those 2 cards alone will keep nightveil specter from being a thing.

But those are really for people who want to spend bank right? I'm talking for a player thats not going to bankroll a deck just to stomp plebs at FNM.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
I guess I just don't get the whole metaand only playing "top 10"s. Or looking up decks online to play locally. I just play out of my collection and what I can trade. I did make a purchase for pack rats, but that was for my wife and a crazy rat deck I want to make. She's getting two and I'm getting two. And we have had no luck in cracking any open.

Other than that I usually just trade, and build decks out of what I own. So out of what I own, the specter is kind of a power house 3 drop. And so far he has done me good paired up with my shadow alley courtizen.

Guess I'm just old. Back in my day there was no "interwebs" to look up stuff. You played with what you bought, no one really knew what was or was not rare unless you were lucky enough to have a friend that could afford both Scrye AND new magic cards. The meta was very local, and not super influenced on a State/national/world level. The local meta was vastly different than the meta at your cousins house in another state. And by god I had to walk up hill both ways lugging a 25 pound bag of magic cards to get too and from a tournament IN THE SNOW 10 miles!

That last bit is actually semi true. I seriously did that minus the over exaggeration. It wasn't snowing but there were a ton of hills. And we only walked one way. My friend dragged me to my first tournament EVER (it was star wars LCG, but I brought magic too) in Colorado Springs. I lived over by the AFB, and the tourney was at a mall WAAAY across town. My dad took us to the tourney and my friend SWORE he had a ride home for us. Come midnight, the tourney is over and his ride didn't show. I think there never was a ride cause he kept calling on the payphone without using any money.. He said he knew how to spoof the phone or some poo poo.

So we walked home. Eventually getting picked up by a cop and given a ride home. After walking about 4 miles I think.

Man that brings back some good memories. So on that note. Post your best up hill both ways in the snow magic story!

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 10, 2014

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Got an acquisition question. I missed out on some really fun looking blocks. And looking at the price list on them, it is not unreasonable for me to pick up a play set of say the ice age block or Alara block. How do you do that without getting eaten alive by shipping on tcgplayer? Is there a site that will sell you full play set blocks without a super price mark up? As long as you are staying away from the money cards that is.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

jassi007 posted:

If your group is all people like that, its great. But once someone builds a deck that is 4x of good cards or 4x of cards with a lot of synergy, then suddenly that isn't good enough anymore. It is an arms race. If wizards puts up $30,000+ of prizes, and you can have a real job talking about magic cards for a living provided you are good at the game and can write well, then competition will inevitably become about the absolute best decks, the meta and top 10's. If you like magic enough to spend a lot of time thinking about it and reading about it, you probably will become interested in the current format meta's and what decks are tier 1 etc. because it is where competition takes the game. Limited formats like draft and sealed are sort of tournament replica's of creating the best deck you can out of a bunch of random cards you open, which is what you are talking about.

Thankfully not everyone is a rockstar. And top tier netdecks can be shut down at FNM if the person driving doesn't know the nuances of the deck. Even super synergized decks can be played horribly if the person doesn't have a tight play style/order of operation. Or intuition on when to hold something back, and proper threat assessment.

I had a "top tier" netdecker during innistraad block. Super experienced players could shut him down even with gimmick decks. And I never had a problem shutting him down about 75% of the time. The other 25% his synergies would carry the game regardless of bad plays. So while I bemoan the netdecking, I don't necessarily think it's bad. It just seems that more and more people that show up to FNM all think they are the next big name, and everyone's playing whatever top 3 decks won last weeks national tourney. I think that was a big reason I pulled back out of magic when Avacyn dropped. It was not fun even when I won a game to play these people. They don't lose graciously, and when they win they are stupidly smug. And that seemed to be the most common arch type in my area. While I play to win, I also play to have fun. And playing against people who are not remotely interested in fun, kind of killed it for me.

Anyhow enough out of me on that. I've been playing for a loooong time and am just doing the old man grumble on how things are changed. And I'm sure in the ten editions of this thread this conversation has probably been beaten into the ground several times.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

OssiansFolly posted:

Complete Sets List on Starcity

You may be able to find what you are looking for there.

Thanks!

Can I get some recommendations on fun missed sets? I have some Alara (friend and I bought a box on release. But didn't actually get to play it)so I already know I'm going to visit it. I know I want to do the newer bits of the ice age block because I liked original Ice age and never got to see the follow up sets. I originally got out around Tempest. Popped back in for a touch of Urza's, then dropped back out until Innistrad. Then again, dropped out at Avacyn Restored.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

jassi007 posted:

I have gotten into building "the real decks" because I want to play them and go to some events a little more competitive than fnm. I am not the next "anyone" but I sure do like affinity and if there is a modern FNM I'll play it. Also I find that if you get magic at some point you sort of wander into decks that end up being good. My friend and I started brewing with Theros before the meta settled and I evolved R aggro into Rw Devotion that ended up really similar to the deck Thea Steele has done well with. When I saw her list, I saw a few obvious changes I could make to my deck, but when I was already running ash zealot, bte, reckoner, dragon, fanatic of mogis, 4 nykthos 4 temple 4 foundry, some mizzium mortars it isn't a real stretch to make the few changes to make your deck a little better (replaced 4 magma jet for chained to the rocks maindeck and swapped chandra's phoenix for frostburn weird). I hesitate to say but I feel that if I had played the deck more I'd have figured it out eventually. I get to play 1-3 nights a month, usually one "event" and 1 or 2 casual nights with a playgroup.

I do find at some point it is hard to play with casual people because once you are pretty good at identifying good constructed cards and you trade or buy playsets, its hard to have decks that lose to whatever_I_get_out_of_packs.dec So I end up making silly things like UG mill with doorkeeper and axebane guardian and minotaur tribal with didgeridoo just to have things that don't blow people up constantly because that poo poo is no fun for anyone.

I can believe this. Just brewing through my collection and putting together a deck out of my stuff last month I came drat close to the Top 10 black devotion. I only found out when my friend asked me if I netdecked it. So I looked it up and I was running slightly different monsters. But other than that my deck looked very similar in style. I was rocking my single desecration demon, 4 gary's, 2 erobos gods, the whip and my lonely NVS. As similar cards with similar goals. The rest of the deck added some win conditions outside of devotion gary bombs and my new one cost mvp the Shadow Alley Denizen. I would like to think that had I some pack rats eventually I would have pushed my deck closer to a top performer naturally. Mostly because this is not rocket science.

http://deckbox.org/sets/600658

Here it is. I'm going to push the mutavault to sideboard and one baleful eidolon to fit in my two new NVS's. And probably pull the debt to the debtless and plains out of my sideboard. I have not tried making them work in the deck yet. Because the deck performed so well without the white splash that i'm not sure I want to try for a white splash with such a high costing card.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 10, 2014

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Madmarker posted:

Agreed, I've tried to maintain a balance, but it can be difficult to sometimes. Especially when your favorite cards are all blue.

This might be where I am. I JUST got into a play group and it seems they are pretty casual and only been playing since innistrad / RtR. I'm no pro, but I've been playing since alpha. And my decks tend to naturally be pretty decent almost competitive on a minor tourney level. And it's hard to NOT make good decks when you have so much experience with deck building comparatively speaking. Even fun theme decks that build that 15/15 casually impressive wurm tend to rip through casually inexperienced players to the point that I have to intentionally make bad plays. I don't mind because I'm there for fun first and foremost. But it can be hard to keep the line without pushing the player group into a more competitive play style.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

jassi007 posted:

Never run removal or sweepers is a good start. Make sure to run a lot of high CMC junk. Minotaurs are pretty funny when they're all 3 and 4 drops. You lose a good amount of the time but sometimes you get 2 lords out and 2 or 3 big minotaurs and they can't deal with it anyway. Also really consider planeschase. The randomness of it helps even things out a lot. When a casual gets a 7/7 annihilator 1 and then the plane shifts, they become more of a threat because the dice helped them out basically. lastly bad tribal edh decks are great. Build RW giants brion stoutarm or something silly.

Can't look it up at work. Whats planechase?

And I so desperately want to build a goblin EDH deck. I just haven't found a good commander for it yet that is a goblin and fun. He's really the only thing holding me back from building it. The supporting spells and lands are easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Thanks for the gobs. I'll have to look them up later tonight.

• Locked thread