Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I think my first ever pet card was Ardent Recruit. It's changed from time to time since then, but ever since I actually tried to make Ardent Recruit work, I just can't get worked up about individual cards anymore. That FNM was an expensive lesson, that sometimes there is a reason people aren't using a card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
I can see why they wouldn't want Phil Foglio, even if I do love his comics, but why did they decide to drop Kaja? She loving nailed it in nearly every piece she did for them, it seems.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Zoness posted:

It's mostly that there are a lot of players who draft just for the sake of opening cards as opposed to going about it with the intent of playing limited as a tournament.
I hate trading cards (mostly due to a toxic local scene where that is concerned), and am starting to love Draft as a format, so I regularly pass on Standard money cards just to make my deck better, and some guys just cannot understand why I do this.

I can't help it if I enjoy laying down Pharika's Mender to grab a Gray Merchant for lethal next turn.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Wait, aren't there several large online retailers that regularly corner the market on cards and artificially drive the price point up? I can't remember exactly which one was accused of doing that, but it's apparently happened more than a couple of times. Is there any way to know exactly how much of an effect that is having on Modern and Legacy prices?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Just how important is it that people don't know other people's decklists? I would think that in Legacy and Modern, you're opponents are going to be playing well-worn archetypes, meaning that you basically know the deck their playing as soon as they drop their first notable play, and Standard can get pretty drat same-y too. If you made everyone's decklist available to their opponents, wouldn't it lead to much more skill-intensive play? I mean, both players are at the same advantage/disadvantage, but now they can make more informed play decisions. However, by the same logic, it might lead to more mechanical play as well. i.e. I know you're playing Jund, so I know that I have to have a Turn 1 counterspell to stop you Thoughtseizing the best card in my hand/my most important combo piece.

I don't intend to imply that I'm some kind of tournament play expert or anything, just that hiding decklists seems like an irrelevant action, though I'm willing to be wrong.

A big flaming stink posted:

Soooo, phonechat aside, one of my friends brought up an interesting idea about new lands to print. Would legendary dual lands (as in, identical to the originals except legendary) be in violation of the spirit of the reserve list or too destabilizing to modern? It seems like a pretty nice inclusion to ease the manabase price of old formats a little bit.
Making mana even better in Modern and Legacy would basically completely erase any significance the color pie has in either of those formats, so there is that.

Also, Wizards likes their cards being expensive, and will likely only bring the price "down" if it's guaranteed to rise back up due to increased availability increasing demand. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to learn that most Wizards employees directly involved in Magic trade cards with advance knowledge of what archetypes will exist/become better supported, thus supplementing their income by a notable margin.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

threefive posted:

Knowing multiple people at WOTC: no one does this. They'd be fired instantly.
Why? It's completely legal, unless their employment contracts specifically bar it, and piss-easy to hide either way. Granted, the possibility of this behavior is not evidence that they do, in fact, engage in this behavior. It is merely one possible explanation as to why Wizards works so hard to keep the secondary market from experiencing any shocks.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

JerryLee posted:

(Note: People like Maro and Forsythe aren't in such a policy-affecting position, if we take them at their implied word that they would like to roll back or skirt around the obstacles to reprinting but are not in a position to do so. I'm talking about the Hasbro CEOs here.)
I'll give you that, but people on the lower rungs of the ladder could very well profit by such behavior by insider trading, even if they can't sway reprints to benefit themselves.

I imagine that another explanation is that the business model Wizards employs requires that the secondary market stay healthy and competitive. It means that they can later roll out a bunch of reprints in order to move packs basically at will.I believe some people put forward the theory that Thoughtseize was put into Theros precisely as a way to ensure that it would sell well; either on flavor, mechanics, or just by virtue of having Thoughtseize.

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 15, 2014

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

JerryLee posted:

I'll likewise give you that, but such low-rung people have no opportunities to influence the company to "work so hard" to prop up the secondary market to its current ludicrous heights, which is what I thought you were talking about.
Ahh, that's my fault. I should have been more specific. But yeah,

Mob posted:

What you guys often fail to understand it that until VERY recently, almost every single WotC employee who is in a position to do what you're describing is loving. terrible. at Magic and no amount of FFL testing is going to give them a clue about what will be hot or not.
This is a very good point.

I kinda want to see a bunch of Magic employees play against each other now. I just want to see exactly how skilled they actually are at playing the game, even if they are pretty good at making it fun.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Fingers McLongDong posted:

:stare: Well that sounds like a terrible place, it would be hard to blame someone for not going back. I've always had good experiences with the stores around here for the most part so its always hard to believe places like that exist.
He might be playing it up for humor. I don't think Sharzak was in any genuine danger of being sucked into orbit around the overweight gentleman seated next to him. But I'm worried that I've met the Affinity guy he's talking about.

Also, Sharzak, I don't know why the existance of utilikilts bothers you as much as it does. I've seen way worse with the Yu-Gi-Oh crowd at my LGS that "cosplays" as "original characters" that generally consist of over-dyed, over-sprayed spike hair, plastic shoulderpads, neon colors, and a desperate lack of aesthetic sense. But they don't steal anything and are pretty polite, which apparently puts them miles ahead of other Yu-Gi-Oh crowds.

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Feb 15, 2014

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Clearly the answer is to eat the Rishadan Ports.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Bosushi! posted:

Haha I was wondering this too. I'm inclined to believe she really is that stupid because Sorin is absolutely dumbfounded and just kind of goes "Holy poo poo, gently caress all of ya'll. I'm leaving"
Yeah, Nissa is kind of played up as being a typical arrogant elf, until after her big "Oh poo poo" moment. I seem to remember a quote from her about being regretful and such, but hell if I know where to find it again.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

CountFosco posted:

I don't think they want fetches in standard ever again, really.
What makes you say that? I haven't run across anything that makes me think that fetchlands made Standard some kind of terrible thing while they were around? I mean, most people attribute that to the Mind Sculptor and Valakut before that.

Stinky Pit posted:

You guys have to constantly remind yourself that people who even know what the formats even are makes up a minority of their customers.
Can you remind me where we got this information? I don't doubt it's true, I just don't know how the Magic community as a whole became aware of this particular thing.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
The thing is, all those lands have drawbacks that really do, in greater or smaller measure, affect the variance of your deck. Granted, the biggest thing is that lands coming in tapped is basically death for a lot of archetypes, and that's the easiest and most common drawback to mana-fixers. While you do occasionally see these other options, fetches and shocks are really the simplest and easiest way to go.

Now, why Amulet decks don't make use of tri-lands is anyone's guess, but yeah.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
From different vendors, or all the same guy? I wonder if every schmuck with a thousand or so lying around is trying to corner some kind of market, after seeing big vendors do it, only without understanding a fraction of the reasoning behind it.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Fox of Stone posted:

Yeah I guess that, like mike Flores, he's grasping to remain relevant.
You folks are over-thinking it. He's just posting about his experience, and probably going out to play ball later. Unless he's directly stated that Magic is literally his only career or something? I haven't watched his stream in a while, so my knowledge may be outdated, but last I heard he was coaching or something and making money that way.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Draft is a completely valid way to play Magic. Just sayin'.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

AgentAO posted:

Sarkhan Vol Jace comes from a plane where territorial warlords guilds vie against each other in unending, brutal war politics. On this plane, dragons have long since been hunted to extinction for sport and glory the old Guildpact.
History shows, Wizards will put dragons everywhere, with no rhyme or reason. They were on Innistrad, for gently caress's sake. It's because casuals love both angels and dragons, the bigger and sillier the better.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

My guess is that Sarkhan's boss Bolas has heard about how Dragons have been wiped out on Sarkhan's home plane, and is pissed about what's been done to his kin.
Given everything we know about Nicol Bolas, the chances of him caring about someone other than himself are...slim. Very, very slim.

Zorak posted:

On the other hand, the Innistrad dragons were cool as heck
Hey, I wasn't saying the stained-glass wings weren't really cool after they were pointed out to me. I hope we get more Innistrad-style dragons, because they're at least interesting and sleek.

Zorak posted:

Given that Bolas genocides dragons constantly because why would he want to risk other dudes like him: unlikely.
I didn't know about this, though. When/where did Nicol Bolas go out of his way to kill other dragons? Granted, it is entirely in keeping with his pattern.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Slave of Bolas doesn't have the trademark Bolas scarf though. That's a cape. Well, either a cape or she has an entire carpet tied to her back. Either one.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Babylon Astronaut posted:

redraft the rares
Don't bring this up. A lot of people on here hate rare-redrafting. I can't comment, since I don't really understand what it is in the first place, but it's a pretty hot-button topic.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
A 4-mana enchantment that's only legal in Legacy, Vintage, and Commander, and it doesn't win you the game outright.

Yup, that's a card that's gonna see some big bux.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Game Day report: lost round one 2-0 to BIOVISIONARY.
Can you go into more detail? I'd actually like to know what's with that deck.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
There's a guy who wears an old red beret from some military thing at my LGS. I can't decide if it's just different enough to be kinda cool, or just different enough to be hipster.

As for picture sleeves, what are some decent sources? My LGS only has anime girls (of the clothed variety), Game of Thrones, and Boris Vallejo pin-ups. Is there a way to get custom sleeves?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

jassi007 posted:

he thinks a riffle shuffle is loving magic.
I have ham-hands, and I too believe that riffle shuffling is a black art practiced by witches

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Yeaaaah, I am so totally jealous. Like, no lie. That is an amazing draft deck.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Boxman posted:

Personally, I'm probably going to get my playset of shocks by rotation, cost be damned, even for colors I have no present intention of playing. WotC is going to keep pushing modern, and as long as that happens, shocklands will trend up.
If finances permit, I'm going to be doing the same as well. I have a playset of Steam Vents, and I'm thinking I'm going to grab Overgrown Tombs next, unless someone has another suggestion.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Are there really 33 million people watching this? That's...like actual important television numbers...

Also, calling that Domain Zoo is already out of this match.

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 8, 2014

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Well I was totally wrong, Zoo is doing just fine and now Melira Pod is dead. I need to follow these events more often.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
A land that dies to extremely situational removal will never not be funny to me.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Ramos posted:

All of this land eating nonsense is just making me think of the a Darksteel Colossus standing up to punch out a Blood Moon to make the tide go out.
What deck is this now?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Death Bot posted:

I've said it before, Thragtusk would probably be on cost if it had either ability, but not both. A 5 mana creature that gives you enough life and a blocker to last another turn and slow down most opponents? Sure! A 5 mana creature that's pretty powerful but is also resistant to removal? Fine! And they both would have played pretty well with flicker!
Honestly, I think Thragtusk really needed trample in order to make it a Constructed-viable card. A 5/3 for 5 is just not good enough any more.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Death Bot posted:

Why do I feel like this isn't a troll post, but instead a quote from when M13 was spoiled
I almost want to delve into the old threads to find out.

Edit: Holy poo poo, people were trying to build around Fencing Ace.

Edit 2: Holy poo poo, I was obsessed with Essence Harvest for some reason. I think it was because the name is awesome. :qq:

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 14, 2014

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Holy poo poo, have my opinions always been this awful? I can't couldn't evaluate cards for a drat.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Going back through the archives, it looks like there were some initial naysayers, but Thragtusk was so blatanly pushed it didn't take long for them to at least grudgingly give it a couple of sideboard slots. Maybe.

Here are some of the relevant posts. (click for HUGE)

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Zenephant posted:

Let's play a game: try to guess the highest and lowest community rated cards on Gatherer
That is actually kind of fascinating. Not surprised about Break Open, but I am surprised that so many combo pieces won out over more generally useful cards. I'd have had Lightning Bolt as a contender for best instant, though that may just be because I'm a filthy casual who likes ending games faster than my opponent can win them.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Promoted Pawn posted:

Let's not forget the great granddaddy of useless loving rares everywhere. Yes I will gladly pay the equivalent of '3GGG and sacrifice 2 Forests' for a vanilla bear. Imagine paying market rates for a Legends pack these days (~$130) and getting one of these as your rare.

I purchased a booster of BNG the other day because my discount makes it an okay impulse purchase from time to time. I pulled a foil Mindreaver and, without thinking, immediately tore it in half and threw it out the car window.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

JerryLee posted:

All I can think of is that you probably could have made some kid's week by giving that to them at FNM. :smith:
There are no kids at my LGS, and random neighborhood kids would think I'm a creeper for randomly giving them a thing. I refuse to feel bad for making sure there's one less Mindreaver clogging up the world.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Damnation will not be printed in Journey into Nyx. Black has enough pseudo-wrath effects as well as a mini-mutilate, which already makes it one of the top-tier decks to beat. Damnation just doesn't make sense.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Is Pack Rat the first Constructed playable Spellshaper, even though it doesn't have the type? It's got the same kind of "Discard card: Do a thing that's like another card" ability, only the card it's copying is itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
I pulled a foil Jarad from a random RTR pack that was just on the ground in the middle of the sidewalk, so now I want to make a G/B EDH deck. Anyone got any ideas for traps to avoid/must have cards? I'm thinking of picking up Jarad's Orders just for flavor and tutor.

Madmarker posted:

:cough: I am one of the people who hates new slivers. I don't mind the change in templating (well I do but I understand it and can accept the logic) but I despise the new art direction.
That's pretty much the consensus. Templating=ok, new art=the butts.

• Locked thread