Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Spiritmonger was the first ever rare I pulled when I bought myself cards, and I have loved him and The Rock and BG as a color combo ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
So mono blue, with no new cards from BNG, won the SCG Open. I think, with how powerful the deck is, we'll see Drown in Sorrow main deck in Black lists, cutting back on Rats. We're already seeing Pack Rats dropping to 2-3 copies this weekend, and I think we'll see singleton or no MD copies soon.

There's only a couple things the Drown can't kill from Mono Blue (Frostburn, Nightveil, Thassa, evolved Cloudfin) but being able to kill Tidebinders, unevolved Cloudfins, Judge's Familiar, and of course Master of Waves makes for great value main. Being able to deal with tokens, RG Monsters' devotion enablers, and mana dorks will warrant it a slot main.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Full Fathoms Five posted:

I think people were cutting back on rats precisely because of BB and Drown in Sorrow. In my experience the Mono-U matchup would be almost impossible for Mono-B without pack rats, and if Mono-U remains the deck to beat then Pack Rats will probably never go away completely in the main. Realistically if you've got a rat in your opening hand on the play there just isn't much Mono-U can do to race it unless they can overload a Rift asap. The only place Rats aren't going to be as amazing now are in the mirror, but I'm not entirely convinced that Mono-B makes up enough of the competitive meta to justify cutting Rats from the main. In the mirror you'd probably want to board them out game 2, but boarding them back in game 3 might even be a viable strategy since all the removal that's great against rats is terrible against everything else in the deck.

edit: On a somewhat related note, I haven't had a chance to look at any coverage yet, but how did R/G monsters perform? Any decent finishes? Aside from Mono-B it was the established deck that looked to gain the most from this new set so I'm curious to see if anyone ended up running it with any success.

I think Mono Black will start running its removal suite main again. We're seeing control lose momentum with only 1 copy making T8 and 3 making T16. Mono Blue is facing this resurgence in strength and popularity since it doesn't have to adapt to the new set at all, so packing the board wipes to set their devotion counts back is going to be paramount. We'll see Rats move to the board and Ultimate Prices and Drowns move to main.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
The best Goblin Deck Commander is Purphoros.

http://deckstats.net/decks/3554/64920-purphoros-commander

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Mikujin posted:

Some people whine about them because they're hard to remove :qq: but they don't even realize that they're pretty useless unless you get devotion, anyway.

I'd rather go up against some janky God-Commander deck than, like, Azusa or whatever other FotM commander is going around.

Purph has only been a creature 3 or 4 times ever while playing that deck, and my creatures rarely attack anyways. Consistent turn 5/6/7 kills!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Death Bot posted:

Rakdos aggro is also really good and you could probably build a budget version for like $40.

I was at an FNM last night (TNM?) and Rakdos Aggro folds HARD to RG Monsters, Mono U with a Frostburn out, and Mono Black. Poor guy got matched up against each one in all 4 rounds and just suffered all night long. The only game he won was against Mono U when they didn't find a Frostburn.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

I have this forest, in foil, on my desk at work. Hands down one of my favorites.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Turn 5 Commander 2HG win? Turn 5 Commander 2HG win.

The other opponent conceded right before the screenshot.

I had the nuts draw of T1 Sol Ring, T2 Purph, T3 Urabrask, T4 Anger + Skullclamp, T5 Rapacious One. My ally's highlights included "Playing His Commander" and "Swinging for 1 with an elf". Would have been a T4 win if my opponent hadn't had 2 good swings with his Wurmcoil.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Loving Life Partner posted:

How can I shove Assemble The Legion into MURDERGOATS, I'm so god damned greedy. It's just that one white mana symbol :negative:

Drop the black, make it White/Red - run burn, Young Peezy, Purph, Assemble, and Brimaz. Chain to the Rocks, Warleader's Helix, Boros Charm, Lightning Strike, etc etc.

Balon fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 22, 2014

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
For the first time in weeks playing my Purphoros Commander deck I was able to have a Thropter Assembly out during my upkeep for a potential 10 damage to all opponents.

Only to learn that Thropter Assembly is bugged in MTGO.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
We're trying to get a buddy in to magic - 3 of us are constructed vets and he's only ever watched us play a few times. To level the playing field and give him a good easy tutorial on how to play (just the basics) we did a Wizard's Tower with a BNG Fatpack.

I don't think I've ever had more fun playing a limited format. It's like sealed and draft and commander all rolled in to one, and it was a great intro to basic turn structure and "what spells are" for the new player.

Highly recommend people give it a try if they're jonesing for a) cracking packs b) kitchen table limited c) introducing new players.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I wonder when the banks will start accepting magic cards as currency. I could pay my car loan for the month with a playset of Flooded Strands!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
3-1 at Gameday playing Standard Dredge (fun as hell). Didn't get the playmat but got my sexy Pain Seer.

Round 1 Versus RW burn: 2-0

Got matched round 1 versus my buddy which was lovely. He normally has a great matchup against me since he knows to take out my mana dorks first so I kept an opening hand of Overgrown Tomb, 2x Lotleth Troll, 4x Mystic which threw him off hard. I topdecked in to a caryatid and forest and all-in'd with a Troll for an easy win. Game 2 he got me down to 10 quick but couldn't stop a Nighthowler'd elf from taking him to town. I felt bad for the win but glad I was being to hard on myself about the matchup.

Round 2 Versus Mono-G devotion: 2-0

This game was stupid and we traded back and forth a lot until I stabilized with a Troll big enough to kill anything he swung at me with. Both games I won by having Jarad throw a monstrous flying Nemesis in his face. The guy's deck wasn't optimal but it was fast - I was just lucky to have Caryatids and Trolls. I sided in Abrupt Decays as none of his main attackers had CCs over 3.

Round 3 Versus RG Monsters: 2-0

Game 1 was unbelievably nuts as I got lucky with an amazing draw. Turn 1 Forest, Mystic. Turn 2 Swamp, Salvage for a Nighthowler dumping 4 other creatures in the yard, Deathrite Shaman. Turn 3 Tomb (18), bestow a nighthowler on the Deathrite, swing for 5 (chumped, making him 6/7). Turn 4 Swamp, bestow Herald on the Shaman, swing for 9 (unblocked). Turn 5 bestow another nighthowler on the Shaman, swing for the win. Game 2 was a little closer as I had to bestow a Herald on a Troll to keep a Dragon at bay. Luckily the troll a) tramples and b) can regen from a Monstrous Arbor Colossus trigger. The game went just long enough for me to get a Nighthowler on the troll, play a Jarad, and throw the troll at him to take him from 18 to zero. I stabilized at 3 life somehow.

Round 4 Versus UW Control: 1-2

I have a terrible matchup against control but I stole game 1. Jarad, Monstrous Nemesis, swing for 23 with an elf to eat a flare on turn 6 - I was lucky he didn't see a single verdict that game. Game 2 he sides in Pithing Needles for Jarad, drops them turn 1 and 2 naming Jarad and Lotleth. Lucky me those were the only non-elf creatures I saw all game. Game 3 was balls-to-the-wall as I had him to 2 and he rev'd for 2 in responds to a Deathrite activation. He draws a Verdict off of it, clears my board, and proceeds to have an answer to everything else I play until he gets an Aetherling.

It was a good showing for a deck I was a little discouraged with previously. I think the deck as an archetype is missing pieces to keep it from being really good (like the GB scryland) but it's still explosive and fun as hell to play.

Also Nighthowler is a BLOWOUT versus the Horde deck - I beat it on turn 5 when I bestowed a Nighthowler on a Nighthowler and swing for 20-something. A guy bet me his full-art Kiora's Follower that I couldn't beat the horde again in less than 6 turns. I now have a pair of full-art followers.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

ScarletBrother posted:

People always talk about cracking prize packs. Do your stores not let you take store credit instead?

My store doesn't offer credit for prizing, but will offer credit on trade-ins. Overall it's still better to trade your winnings to other players for what you need.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Heart of the Cards - 0
Instant

Heart of the Cards is all colors.

Heart of the Cards cannot be countered.

Search your library for a card and put it on top of your library.

Your opponents cannot cast spells this turn.

At the end of turn you lose the game.

Draw a card. Exile Heart of the Cards.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

jassi007 posted:

Rules question! I'm not sure what rule affects this scenario. I'm playing against jund. they t1 fetch, thoughtseize, t2 goyf. I t2 orzhov charm goyf. Do we go with last know information and I take 3? Or does state based effects look at p/t like if you bolt it and I take 4?

Charm doesn't hit the yard until it resolves, right?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
If you want an example of a price crash, look at Thragtusk's price history. $20 as long as it was in standard (despite being in a precon) but the moment M13 rotated it plummeted.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

a dozen swans posted:

I was playing Junk Reanimator for a bit. Grisly Salvage and Commune to fill the bin and find lands/your Whip, deathrite (I had multiple opponents go 'wait, that guy's useable in standard?) to fix and accelerate, then Whip and Obzedat's Aid to reanimate an Angel or Ashen Rider t4-5 is pretty backbreaking. The deck's definitely missing something (probably a third reanimation effect that's better than Journey), but it's relatively consistent and pretty fun, and you can even get all toolboxy if you add Jarad's Orders.

I'm playing the BG graveyard deck that's just on the fringes of being playable and I don't think it or reanimator are going to be a thing until JiN comes out. The BG God, BW God, and BG Scryland alone will mean big things for both decks. Sure we don't know what the enemy-colored Gods will do yet, but being able to fit it in to these decks means a LOT.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Jabor posted:

Honestly I think the BG deck is actually really solid, just very easily hated out. If no-one's playing graveyard hate, it beats up on top-tier decks really well. RG monsters struggles to deal with anything once it gets bigger than its own guys, and gets absolutely wrecked by Shadowborn Demon. Bestow laughs at mono-B Devotion. Supreme Verdict is probably only going to be a 1:1 against you. The only things that really give it trouble are mono-U Devotion (which can probably play a better tempo game), and Kiora.

It's probably too early to be picking things for block, but if JiN gives one more dredger (to replace Grisly Salvage), and no meaningful graveyard hate, it's probably going to be a block constructed deck to beat. Not overpowering (since you do lose Deathrite and Shadowborn Demon), but still really solid.

Block version loses out on Jarad as well, which I've found to be an essential finisher in the deck. Throwing a jacked up Nemesis in an opponent's face is crazy good.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Jabor posted:

I'm not even running Jarad at the moment (though I probably should be, once I figure out what to cut for it) - Herald of Torment is more-or-less sufficient to get you past chump blockers, and should keep doing the job fine in Block.

The combo of him self-reanimating and throwing other threats for reach make him an auto-include 2-of (I run a third in the board as well). Herald is fantastic but if you're stalled in the air as well (DD, Kiora, etc) Jarad ensures that you can Voltron up a threat and one-turn-win. Swing through/over (Troll/Herald) then fling for the win.

I played the deck at game day and Jarad won games for me multiple times.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Sharzak posted:

Would love to see a list

For you my friend, let's take a look at the Brewhaus: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3572508&pagenumber=74#post426689823

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Just managed to go infinite (in Commander) in a pretty convoluted way:

Soon as Big P hit the board two guys conceded and the third flailed until he realized it was all over. I think it's my first time going infinite in Commander since the deck's not really built around it!

Balon fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 15, 2014

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Mondrian posted:

At GP Melbourne a couple of weeks ago, someone was playing a graveyard-based BG deck with Commune with the Gods, Satyr Wayfinder, Grisly Salvage, Nighthowler and Nemesis of Mortals.
I'm trying to throw together a similar deck on DeckStats, but I'm stuck at the above cards. Can anyone remember the list or know of a similar one?

I've been playing it pretty religiously - if you check the brewhaus for me posts you'll find a list I've tweaked and tuned.

I'd link you myself but I'm on my phone atm.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Korak posted:

What do you think of the Jund version? Bloodrush does some really useful things and having up to 4 Flesh/Bloods is pretty sweet.

The list is pretty tight as-is and I'd hate to go messing up a really small (20 land) mana base with a third color.

Also the reason there are only 8 spells maindeck is because you want everything else to be land or creatures - you CAN NOT afford to have spells in the deck that aren't tutors or give you a benefit in the yard.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

AegisP posted:

Is there any room in the list for Desecration Demons? Or is he just the wrong kind of big idiot? (though the thought of using Jarad to chuck a countered-up Demon at the opponent's face has me slightly amused)

The problem is that he's just not reliable as a threat - I would rather Nighthowler a Mystic than a DD 90% of the time.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Korak posted:

Would Talara's Battalion see play if it was released in JOU?

It can be cast off the back of a Burning Tree Emissary. It would absolutely see play.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Superfriends is going to be so annoying. There's no way they won't get at least ONE planeswalker ultimate per game and Ajani's basically says "-8: Make the game go to time".

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

C-Euro posted:

Ultimate-ing him in Junk with something like Erebos that lets you spend life sounds hilarious.

There's that new BW, pay 1 life dude too?

Junk lifegain here it comes!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Skillface posted:

This definitely has a place in my golgari dredge deck post-rotation. But yeah, I do think commune is more worth it, especially because whip and nighthowler are really mostly the only enchantments worth a drat in that deck right now.

Exactly, this is going in to the deck if it exists post-rotation to "replace" Salvage (it's still a poor replacement). If the Dredge deck gets even more tools in JOU (I'm looking at you, Pharika) and goes even more enchantment heavy it could be included pre-rotation in place of Commune for a sweet turn 2 (with elf) "fill hand and yard" play.

My two wishes for the set are that Pharika is playable in the Dredge deck and that there's some kind of 'Land - Enchantment' card.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Spoil Pharika already goddam it.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Pharika is going to be 'When you play a creature spell gain 2 life. When a creature card is put in to your graveyard target opponent loses 2 life.'

C'mon, a man can dream.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

AegisP posted:

I'd love if Grisly Salvage was GB: Deal 10 damage.

Well... a CHANCE at 10 damage at least.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Well Pharika is a disappointment for BG Dredge, but could definitely fit in to some other kind of beast in the future. If we get an enchantment creature mana dork this set especially.

I like that Pharika combos with Doomwake Giant (the -1/-1 guy) and plays well with the 3cc demons. BG enchantments could be a thing, for sure.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Elyv posted:

Riptide Chimera
2U
Enchantment Creature - Chimera

Flying
At the beginning of your upkeep, return an enchantment you control to its owner's hand.

3/4

Enchantment Esperzoa.

This thing is going to help me win the pre-release.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Entropic posted:

It costs 8 mana, if you can actually cast more than one of them, you deserve to be able to flout flavour.

This seems like it goes straight into that UW / UWG heroic deck.

This guy, Launch the Fleet, Glimpse the Sun God, and Gridlock - pay 1 mana to trigger all your heroics (plus spell effects)

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Why couldn't it have been on a body to begin with? The fact that it's not a creature means it doesn't play well with the one deck it belongs in.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Pinwiz11 posted:

SCG just revealed the playmat for GP Orlando:

...I want to go to there.

I want to eat at The Thallid Bar and shop at Oblivion Bling!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

OssiansFolly posted:

So, I was looking around at making a Standard deck and came across what I think is an infinite combo for Standard...does this work as described?

(Yes I realize this is HIGHLY inefficient and not really a good use of mana)

Play Maw of Obzedat
Next turn play Boonweaver Giant
Once Boonweaver Giant comes in you find Gift of Immortality
Sac Boonweaver to Maw
Put Boonweaver back onto the board and pull Gift of Immortality back from the GY onto Boonweaver
Rinse and repeat stupid number of times
After a bunch of times search for Messenger's Speed and put it on Maw
Swing for crazy amount with your trampling Maw

If you're in RWB you could do Purphoros and a sac outlet for the ETB damage trigger as many times as you'd like. With a Red or White or Colorless (costless) sac outlet you could do it in 2 colors for the 3-card (technically 4) 'infinite' damage combo.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Froghammer posted:

Let's go back to talking about how great Scuttling Doom Engine is.

Lets hope its going to be big in constructed, I just pre-ordered 3 playsets for $3 a piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Where'd you find them for this price? Think I might pick some up too.

Locally, sorry. If you can find that price online buy 'em up!

• Locked thread