Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

I'm a spike so my pet card is Misty Rainforest. :reject:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Pshh. Modern, right? :rolleyes: A bunch of mirror matches if I ever saw one.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Cactrot posted:

Every time I see someone playing storm, it really makes me want to play storm.

But modern is too expensive right now :(
I only recently put together Storm myself (minus the fetches) and I found it was quite cheap to throw together. Practically everything in the deck is either a >$2.00 common or is a recently rotated out rare. Serum Visions/Steam Vents are honestly the most expensive cards in the deck, I think.

EDIT: Oh, Pyromancer Ascension is apparently :10bux: now. I traded my set for a foil Eternal Witness back then Modern Masters was first released.

EDIT 2:

kirtar posted:

What kind of mana base are you using? I'm running 4 reef, 4 vents, 2 sulfur falls, 6 basics.
Mine is 4 Vents, 3 Reef, 1 Sulfur Falls and a 6/2 split between Islands and Mountains.

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 9, 2014

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

I want to open so many of these rares in a JBT draft, they look :supaburn:.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Myriad Truths posted:

I'm confused, where's the combo? By Legion you mean Assemble the Legion? But that only triggers Doomwake Giant once, as the tokens are not enchantments. I think I'm missing something.
Legion's Initiative.

Which, by the way, sounds hilarious. :getin:

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

C-Euro posted:

Ultimate-ing him in Junk with something like Erebos that lets you spend life sounds hilarious.
Honest to god - some of the posts in this thread, combined with people in our city's facebook mtg group making similar posts (mainly myself), makes me want to see the jankiest and dumbest ways of taking advantage of this Ajani ultimite.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Not really worth much, but the Centaur lord helps buff a Mutavault and lets it so that it can be tapped for mana after attacking. :shobon:

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 11, 2014

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Pinwiz11 posted:

My favorite GTXx3 draft moment was being the only Gruul drafter, thinking "it would be so nice to open Domri in this final pack", and then it happened. :woop:

So many fun Guilds in GTC, I loved it.
My favourite triple Gatecrash thing was Act of Treasoning an opponent's freshly-cast Adaptive Snapjaw, getting two Battalion triggers from it being my third attacker and then Pit-Fighting it (post combat) with his 2/6 Elusive Krasis. :coal:

Gatecrash draft was poo poo (unless you were the Boros deck and you avoided the nuts Orzhov deck, or were the nuts Orzhov deck), but it was loving sweet at the same time. It was the first format I actually drafted and sort-of knew what I was doing. It helped that for the first 3-4 weeks of the format Boros was under-drafted by most everybody else.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Is anybody else watching GP Philly? It's currently the last round of Swiss with Huey Jensen playing against a 13 year old kid in a win-and-in game and it's tense as gently caress.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Still watching GP Philly, the top 8 draft is currently under way. Reid Duke has went about as deep as somebody can get who opened not Chromanticore.

EDIT: his deck's now settling in to base black control with a lot of great blue and green cards, looks like he's read the table incredibly well.

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 13, 2014

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

And then Huey devoured his opponent, adding to his already formidable size and reserves of youth to dominate magic for the next century.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

ScarletBrother posted:

In a big tournament during Scars block-Innistrad standard, I cast a Thrun and my opponent snap Mana Leak'ed it. I said, "Mana Leak resolves. Thrun?" It's more a case of RTFC, but he was pretty tilted after that.
Last week I had this situation with an Esper opponent who tried to Syncopate my Mistcutter Hydra. The uncomfortable part was when he tried to return his card back to his hand once I had pointed out the Hydra's counter clause, and a judge had to explain to him how it worked. It felt extra sweet, as I was on a mulligan to 4 and managed to scrape out a win in that game. This same game I managed to save a Reaper of the Wilds by using the -1/-1 mode of Golgari Charm - it was in response to an Espleth -3 when he had 3 tokens on board already. :unsmigghh:

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Actually, he had Undying.
Quite the optimist, aren't you? He clearly had persist.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Interesting to read about some of the stuff being opened itt - at least 6 different Athreos were pulled in our 2 prereleases today that I know of. I managed to open easily the worst pool I've ever opened before in my life (3 Font of Vigor, 3 Lightning Diadem, basically nothing good as a duplicate, no good sideboard cards, whyyy :negative: ), and was able to scrape a 4-2 with it on the back of putting 12 2/3 drops and hoping to Get There. Both of my losses were to players who opened good pools, although I misplayed against one of those opponents and actually could have snuck a win. The other guy was a new player who opened basically everything I'd want in a red white aggro deck and I didn't have a chance, so that sucked. I've developed a new found respect for Leonin Snarecaster though, that card basically won me two matches thanks to me using it more like a trick than anything else.

EDIT: also, the only removal in my deck at all was a Last Breath (was actually fantastic against the white promo), a Feast of Dreams and an Oppressive Rays. So, literally just having to Get There.

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 27, 2014

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

vOv posted:

2wizards1cup?
switcheroo.avi

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

OssiansFolly posted:

I had the worst prerelease ever this past weekend...it seemed like everyone around me got such better picks. My rares were Purphoros, Bow of Nylea, Temple of Malady and the black destroy all creatures that aren't enchantment creatures card. My first opponent went W/B and opened Athreos and Elspeth...those games didn't go well. My next opponent opened TWO of the new Ajani...I left after this match. I am sure someone else opened junk like me but I wasn't fortunate enough to play that person...

Did anyone else have bad luck like me? It was sad to even try to make a deck from what I was given as most of the cards I had were so expensive for the format. Even in U I ended up with only 1 creature and 6 U cards.
Your rares are much better than what I pulled, at least (Whims of the Fates, I will never escape you :shepicide: ), but it's a shame that you had to face some of the nuttier mythics of the format. I guess that's how pre-releases go some times.

Honestly, although I'd love to open all of the big flashy $$$ cards of a new format, I also enjoy the challenge of a bad sealed pool as it pushes me to play better and familiarise myself with some of the less solid or capable cards of the format. Plus, scraping in to the last spot of the big prize payout slots with a pool that's garbage owns. Here's my deck, for reference - I'll be posting the entire pool in the limited thread when I get around to typing it all out for feedback.

EDIT: Dictate of Heliod is great, but every time I got the chance to resolve it I was either too far behind for it to be of relevence or too far ahead for it to matter. One pre-release is a small sample size, of course, but it didn't impress me too much - and my deck was probably one of the best shells for it to perform in.

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 28, 2014

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Applebees posted:

Both Modern Masters events—that's 512 people—filled in under a minute.
I'm so not used to MODO that I sat in the first MMA queue for about 15 seconds wondering if I was in or not, then by the time I realised there was a 'Join' button it filled up. :negative:

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

So I decided to try the new MODO client. I entered a sealed event, and the program doubled the number of lands in my deck as I was submitting it so I had to play each game 1 with 57 cards and consider myself lucky if I was able to resolve more than 4 spells in a game. That sure is a good start to my new MODO client experience. :thumbsup:

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Went 5-1 at my own pre-release. I brought my 11 year old cousin along and he actually really enjoyed it, even though he went 2-4 himself. :3: We were actually paired up against one another in the first round, where I was able to point out some of the more complicated aspects of the B/R we chose to build for him - it was really cool seeing him remember some of my pointers near the end of the day as it got him another win. It's something of a shame that black was so popular throughout the day, as we both played against it 5 times out of 6 rounds and I could tell he was getting a bit bored of that by the end of the tournament.

Anyway, Triplicate Spirits was my MVP for the day. Having two of them was insane, especially when they were chained together - it being a common is something I'm not at all comfortable with for potential drafts, as there isn't too much I can think of that cleanly deals with them besides Festergloom. I can see a lot of obnoxious starts involving EOT Raise the Alarm into it on either turn 3 or 4.

There's not much else I've really picked up on yet - I'll be doing a second pre-release tomorrow though with blue as I'm really curious about how its commons and uncommons play, so I'm hoping to get as many of them as I can to play them.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

As someone who drafted Theros block a lot, I have to say I enjoyed 3X Theros as a whole - even if it had its issues of heroic decks being format warping (in that I was picking Voyage's End over near enough any other removal just to be able to disrupt heroic and bestow strategies) and board stalls happened a touch too frequently. The format was really satisfying to me and a lot of people I know who drafted decks that would hold up during combat phases, and pick out the right cards to win or trade in combat (the double target tricks, Agent of Horizons, deathtouch guys, etc.) and it disappoints me a little that the majority of people who talk about Theros now just talk about Wingsteed Rider or Gary - combat was really fun in Theros limited, and it's what I'll think of when it's brought up in the future. It's a shame there wasn't any kind of card in the set that was a genuine build-around kind of card - I think the closest thing we had was the Flamespeaker Adept deck, which wasn't really a deck.

Born of the Gods was unfortunate in that it didn't really add anything interesting to the set, it added a few too many stupid bomb-y cards and it only increased the number of times you were ran over by heroic decks or went to time in ridiculous board stalls. If someone resolves another Ornithark against me again I think I'll kill myself. I'll admit that red was really sweet in Born, though.

Journey Into Nyx helped to fix a lot of the issues I had in the previous sets - it watered down a lot of the heroic nonsense and introduced enough cheap semi-conditional removal that you could run most of it in a deck to control the state of the board to some extent, and this is without feeling like you were drafing five doom blades or whatever. There were even a bunch of build-around me cards at rare and uncommon rarity, so you could experiment with the set once you had gotten your fill. Riptide Chimera, :getin:

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

I don't follow Vintage all that much. Thirst for Knowledge is on the restricted list? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

It should also be noted that if you didn't draw whatever removal you had in the first two turns of the game then Pack Rat took over. Similarly, a turn 5+ Pack Rat, whilst less effective on the board, was an equally ridiculous play to face against even if you have your removal in hand. You can list all the removal in the world but the window in which to deal with a Pack Rat was unfairly small.

• Locked thread