Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011

King Kambrook posted:

I too love the nicknames cards acquire. I'd be really interested to see which of these are common around the world. (I'm in Brisbane)

Where do you play?

I've noticed people seem to either love or hate GG so they're either huge GG fanboys or they will only ever play at Ace.

Also, best card is Smoke, for much the same reasons as Stasis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011
I've finally bought back in to this stupid hobby after not playing since Planeshift, so I picked up the Theros and BotG event decks to kitchen table at home - do either of these go anywhere decent?

The Theros event deck looks very different to most UW control decks I've seen (but I'm not going to spend $100 on Revelations)

If I add a couple of Pack Rats and another Desecration Demon or 2, does the BotG deck go ok? Maybe a couple of Gray Merchants and some more card draw?
Speaking of - is Read the Bones or Sanguimancy worth it or should I stick with Underworld Connections?

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011
At GP Melbourne a couple of weeks ago, someone was playing a graveyard-based BG deck with Commune with the Gods, Satyr Wayfinder, Grisly Salvage, Nighthowler and Nemesis of Mortals.
I'm trying to throw together a similar deck on DeckStats, but I'm stuck at the above cards. Can anyone remember the list or know of a similar one?

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011
I've managed to crack a couple of Felhide spirit binders in some sealed boosters, and I'd love to use them in a BG or BUG monsters deck.
As an inspired enabler, I would use Karametra's favour, which also helps mana ramping on smaller creatures or with Pheres-band trompers I guess - in addition to the usual Mystics and/or Caryatids
Then, just put in a bunch of big tribute monsters like Golden Grove Snake, Pharagax Giant or Thunder Brute to copy and profit? Maybe a few Nylea or Xenagod, as well.

Does this seem legit or should I just be boring and stick with Domri+Courser and the rest of the usual suite?

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011
Went to my first FNM ever last night, after only playing casual back in middle school.

Went 3-2 in matches, went 8-6 on games.
Pretty happy, having barely playing the game in 15 years - although I think a lot of my wins have to do with playing a really fast B aggro in a room full of durdly control/combo decks.

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Finally, a use for Strionic Resonator.

How would Strionic Resonator interact with Keranos?
The first ability isn't triggered - there is no 'when you draw' - so you use strionic in response to the trigger going on the stack after revealing, meaning you can either draw twice or do 6 damage (in 2 packets of 3)?

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011
Mind Fart

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011
Speaking of, when can we expect that we start to see more info on Khans of Tarkir/Huey?

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011

Deofuta posted:

Or perhaps triple it with the fancy new legendary red creature.

EDIT: Actually that brings up a question, the red legendary mentions a 'mana ability'. Is that an ability which generates mana? Or an ability that costs mana to use?

A mana ability is an ability which generates mana and doesn't target anything - they don't use the stack and can't be responded to.
e.g. Elvish Mystic's ability is a mana ability and doesn't use the stack.
Deathrite Shaman's first ability that generates mana targets a card in the graveyard, so it can be responded to and isn't a mana ability.

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I look forward to calling the wedges BUG, RUG, Junk, America, and Mardu.

BUG, RUG, Junk, America and Nazi.

Gonna play the heck out of some of those Temur and Sultai.

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011
Elves is such a sweet deck. I'm so close to finishing mine, I just need to finish buying Gaea's Cradles and Bayous in paper :negative:

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011

ungulateman posted:

Went 3-1-1 with my pseudo-block-constructed White Heroic deck at FNM.

Lost round 1 to Jund monsters. I steamrolled him game 1, then he managed to play an unholy amount of Stormbreath Dragons and I didn't draw a single Brave or Gods Willing for 5+ turns straight in both games 2 and 3.

Beat B/W Midrange in Round 2, mostly because he got screwed on mana.

Beat a Mardu aggro list Round 3. It was a funky Goblin Rabblemaster-based deck with Spark Trooper and Athreos, but I was simply too fast and gaining too much life.

Tied with U/W control round 4. I crushed him game 1, got ground out hardcore game 2 (I was on 71 life when I conceded), then we both completely forgot that I had a Phyrexian Revoker naming Elspeth in game 3, didn't notice for several turns, and decided to call it a draw rather than finagle over it.

Beat mono-G devotion round 5. Another game 1 steamroll into a game 2 grind-out, followed by a concession in game 3 when he wasn't dead? He could have slapped my Ajani down a fair amount of life with his mana dorks, but I think he was burnt out after an intense mirror last round and we were all pretty tired (close to midnight).

Pretty good for a pile of $2 rares and commons people would throw away after a draft.

I think I sat next to you round 1 - I went 3-2 playing B/G constellation at what I think was this FNM

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011

ungulateman posted:

Good Games in Brisbane? There's no shortage of jank mono-white Heroic decks and players out there, I'm sure. :)

Yup. My deck generally does well because of main-deck Grim Guardians as blockers, plus Bile Blight and Hero's Downfalls against all of the aggro that seems to be in that meta, and then I can side in Drown in Sorrows as well if I need.

I lost to UW control and GR monsters, both matches I got horribly mana screwed and didn't get off 2 mana. I beat Junk midrange, Izzet midrange and mono-white aggro.

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011
Zendikar fetches should get cheaper because a lot of decks would prefer allied fetches - although most of the combo decks will probably stick to Tarns because UR is the main colour pair for combo decks.

If this draws more people into modern, then yeh, expect Cliques, Cryptic Commands, colonnades, Remands, Paths, Bolts/Helix and Snapcasters to go up, because UW and Esper control and Naya zoo mana bases just got a lot cheaper.

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Are there any (good) decks in legacy that run delver but not Wasteland? I've been considering buying in online with duals and force at an all-time low and fetches following soon, and want to play a deck with delver in it because I love that card, but wasteland is pricing me out of RUG delver, my top choice.

The whole point of RUG delver is basically land destruction.

But this UR delver deck which won a Star City Open uses no wastelands: UR Delver - Andrew Schneider

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011

Crusaderking posted:

How did everyone's FNM go? I went 2-2 with mono-white heroic, which is far better than I thought I would do.

I went 3-2 playing that janky UR artifacts deck

4 ornithopters
4 ensoul artifact
4 aeronaut tinker
4 scrapyard mongrel
4 illusory angel
4 quickling
4 lightning strike
4 bronze sable
4 shrapnel blast
2 dark steel citadel

Just all value and BS combos. No doom engine or chief engineer, just tempo creatures. Probably needs some counter spells but meh, that's what sideboards are for.

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011
I think Jeskai is not a control clan, but a tempo clan. It'll probably use efficient creatures and bounce/burn/combat tricks to stay a turn ahead of the enemy, rather than keeping the board clean until turn 12 when they finally draw their one bomb.

Hopefully the 1-win con, UW or Esper draw-go decks of RTR-THS will be less feasible, because it's a really unfun archetype to play against.

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Yeah my judgement is maybe just being clouded by what UWR usually represents in other formats.

Yeah but I think that's a function of blue having been the 'the counter spell and card manipulation colour' and white being 'the banishing/prison colour' which leads to UW being a control goodstuff deck, splashing R for bolt and helix, hinging around Force of Will/Brainstorm/Ponder or Mana Leak/Serum Visions in the non-rotating formats.

Since it seems that Wizards are sculpting a slower standard format, they can change the profiles of each wedge to be whatever they want in the more limited card pool.

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm being hopeful that Quickling will be the core of a classic tempo style deck. Delver round 2 :getin:
Quickling high fives illusory angel as they slam dunk into ferocious wins

Quickling is super sweet. Bouncing a creature at instant speed in response to a kill spell is amazing, and you still get to swing for 2 in the air next turn.
Hopefully something with a sweet '~ leaves the battlefield' trigger gets printed in U or Jeskai colours in Khans.

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

We're close enough to 4 color. Might as well make it 4 color. BRUG seems like a cool word that'll catch on.

"Bruh-guh"

GRUB midrange. :rms2:

BURG?

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011

I was kinda hoping for the command cycle to get reprinted - they probably would have fit theme-wise to some extent.

Oh well, here's hoping for Modern Masters part 2

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011

quote:

Dig Througo chew through a deck and find exactly 16-20 damage to burn your opponent out with or countering the combo decks.

I'm gonna go out on a crazy limb and say that Dig Through Time gets Storm combo pieces banned by the last Khans set.

Dig Through Time won't see play in Storm at all because it ruins your graveyard, so I'm not sure what you mean. On the other hand, I'm going to jam it in my UWR (jeskai :v: ) Delver deck so goddamn fast my head will spin.

I'm actually hoping a Howl of thhe Hoard/Treasure cruise/master the way combo deck becomes a thing in Standard

edit: bbcode is hard :smith:

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011
Just woke up after doing FNM and a midnight prerelease.

Chose Abzan, got a Duneblast as my seeded pack rare and High Sentinels in another pack, plus a couple of the common outlast synergists and a bunch of on-colour fixing in my random boosters.

Deck ended up with a number of good white creatures, removal (Duneblast, Rite of the Serpent, Murderous Cut and Dead Drop) and a bunch of sweet fatties.
The deck basically plays out as a slow control deck, then pump up some creatures with Dragonscale Boon and then swing in a for a bunch of lifelink damage. Loved it, but probably gonna try Sultai tomorrow, to see how far you can push Delve and self-mill.

As someone else earlier said, Khans is fairly slow - there are a lot of big butts at common and Abzan looks popular. But Mardu can have some incredibly explosive starts if they hit an ascendency and a token generator or 2. I'm loving Khans limited though, I think it's a lot more interesting than Theros' 'buff up one big heroic guy lol'

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011

ungulateman posted:

Outlast is a busted as hell mechanic in limited and all you haters can suck it.

Source: three prereleases deep in Australua and sick to death of Abzan Falconer and High Sentinels of Arashin

How did your Jeskai Bestai deck end up last night? Also what clans did you run today?

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011
My LGS does Sealed packs for $40 :australia:
You get 1 pack for a draw and 2 packs for a win, from a 4-round event - so 4 packs per person in the prize pool. Or if you scrub out and lose all 4, you'll get a pack anyways as a consolation.

Luckily, most people are happy to ID and split the prize support and just play some chill games, but some of the grinders take their games super seriously and bust their balls for that extra prize pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011

Entropic posted:

I really want the first strike and flying outlast guys to be playable at least as 1-ofs in a junk midrange deck with WG Ajani and Abzan Charm, but I'm dreaming aren't I?

Part of me really wants to play WG heroic/outlast after rotation featuring:
Ainok Bond Kin
Abzan Battle Priest
Abzan Falconer
High Sentinels
Phalanx Leader

Reap What is Sown
Abzan Charm
Feat of Resistance
Solidarity of Heroes or Incremental Growth

I'm sure it'll be a pile of poo poo, but all those synergies :allears:

• Locked thread