Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Laboratory Maniac because I'm a try-hard Johnny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

lol j/k it's Razor Boomerang

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Chub Toad

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Fish Of Doom posted:

Cold Eyed Selkie because it sounds like an insult. "drat girl, you acting like a cold eyed selkie."

On a related note, I love hearing about the different names that people/playgroups have adopted for different cards. Young Peezy et al.
I think Stinkweed Pimp is one of my favs.

Anyone have any of those to share?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Dr. Stab posted:

This method is not guaranteed to terminate.

Somewhere out there are two 5th Edition Magic players still rolling to see who goes first. :rolldice:

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Applebees posted:

Fixed: Nighthowler promo now has the correct card art.

Just logged in and I still have the same old Magic "M" in place of my Nighthowler art. Anyone else still missing the art?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Any reason you're running Inspiration over Divination? I can't see needing to give your opponents more cards.

e: Ah perhaps instant speed works better with the Guttersnipes. I understand it.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Re: Conspiracy cards

I bet they print some janky Scrambleverse that, when drafted, shuffles everyones pools together, and then doles them out evenly and randomly again.

Or a janky Control Magic that, when drafted, can steal a card from another person's pool and exchange it with the Control Magic you just pulled.

I'm interested to see what actually gets made.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

When this card is drafted, reverse the direction in which the booster packs are being passed.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

drat I just made a stupid block that cost me the game, and I'm not even sure why I lost...

used an Akroan Conscriptor to steal a guys 8/8 and block is 10/9 trample. But since I wanted to kill the 10/9 trample, I added an additional 2/2 first strike blocker so I could deal the additional damage.

My opponent just assigned all his damage to my 2/2 and none to his 8/8. I was under the impression that you had to assign lethal damage to each creature blocking the blocked creature (or as much as you can in the order chosen to block) before assigning additional damage anywhere else.

Where have I gone wrong? :negative:

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

qbert posted:

Edit: You should probably mention the exact creatures that were involved, which might provide an answer. Otherwise, if this was MTGO it sounds like a glitch. If this was paper magic, someone messed up in the rules.

Limited draft. Opponent casts Mischief and Mayhem on his Staunch-hearted Warrior and his Vulpine Goliath and swings with both. I have an Akroan Conscriptor, a Spearpoint Oread and a few others that aren't affecting the board. He swings with both his creatures. I cast Necrobite on my Conscriptor, targeting his Staunch-hearted Warrior for the steal. He responds by burning my Conscriptor with Magma Jet, taking it off the table. I still steal the Warrior.
At that point, I make the block with the Warrior and the Oread.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

This is all legal if they put the 2/2 first in the block order. You're allowed to overassign past lethal damage, you just can't underassign.

Well that's a mistake I learned the hard way :(

Tonight is just not my night for Magic. I lost that round handily, but went 2-0 in the second round. Halfway through the third game the client completely freezes up. Internet and other processes were working fine. So I just killed the client and rebooted my computer.

Unfortunately, now, while trying to log in, I get a 'MainNavigation has stopped working' error. I've never received this error before, and my computer settings have not changed. The only thing I can imagine being the issue is the Born of the Gods update -- but then it would stand to reason that I wouldn't be able to get into a draft in the first place, no?

I'm pretty certain my game has gone to time at this point, which is really frustrating. Is this grounds for a reimbursement request, or is Wizards going to blame this on my hardware? (Which is absolutely not at fault here).

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The 2/2 took all the damage, I received no damage. I meant that it was a fatal error that cost me the game because he had a pretty huge team at that point.

e: filed for reimbursement for the client issues. Let's hope the Magic Online reimbursement staff are feeling reasonable.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

JerryLee posted:

That guy is just so excited to be chowing down on unicorn head :buddy:

:laffo: you're right. The dude looks positively ecstatic. It's clearly his favorite meal.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I've only done two drafts on MTGO, and both times the client froze and forced me to restart. The first time, I restarted the client to find that I had been kicked from the tournament. The second time the client froze and after restarting I found that opening the client resulted in a fatal error, forcing me to uninstall and reinstall the client.

Both times I filed for reimbursement, and both times they approved it. This looks like another time MTGO poo poo itself.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Lord Of Texas posted:

Best set symbol discussion - go:

I posit #1 : Ravnica, City of Guilds

#N, where N=number of Magic sets in existence: Onslaught

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

ugh, remind me not to GIS Surgical Extraction. :barf:

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

We've yet to see just how much of an impact Phenax will have, but I don't have my hopes up for the mill strategy getting into top 8s anywhere.
But he might scratch that itch. Mosey on over to the deckbuilding thread -- I saw someone posting their Phenax mill build not too long ago...

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Rules question:

Does a spell like Turn // Burn count as one or two spells for the purpose of totaling Spellheart Chimera's power?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Can you point me to the relevant ruling? I'm looking at this ruling for split cards:

708.5. An effect that asks for a particular characteristic of a split card while it’s in a zone other than the stack gets two answers (one for each of the split card’s two halves).

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I understand getting tilted over mana screw/flood or just poor luck, but I never understood why rogue decks tilt people so much.

I always enjoy it when I see rarely-used cards making an impact, or new breakout combos, even when I'm losing to them. I guess it figures that someone who's so resistant to new ideas would also be a homophobic turd.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Flickering your permanent is just taking it for a quick dip in the aether, washing off all that battlefield clutter.
It comes back shiny and new.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

Also, he made comments about how Archangel of Thune (my playmat, specifically) was totally bangable. :geno:

:ughh:

As if he has any frame of reference.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Oh, passive aggressive nerd. Original.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I would just like to point out that, on that list of DCI suspensions posted a few pages back, there is a person named 'Clearly Excellent.' He or she has a lifetime ban.

DCI Suspension List

e:

e2: oh Kevin Brumley :allears:

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 7, 2014

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Entropic posted:

If that mockery counts as sexual harassment, then exposing your rear end like that counts as sexual harassment.

Whether it's to make fun of someone or to sexually harrass someone, both exploit the person without their knowledge. It makes the community uncomfortable in an environment where they shouldn't have to worry about getting their bodies made fun of publicly.
Imagine if this dude was going around getting pictures of womens' cleavage and then posting them online.

Sure, buttcrack is :lol:, but Wizards isn't into protecting the integrity of internet comics. They're into protecting their sanctioned tournaments as places where people can come and play and be relatively assured that their asscracks aren't being posted all over the internet for us to laugh at.

But, they let their asses hang out so they were asking for it, amirite?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

JerryLee posted:

Cleavage is not the same as asscrack in terms of whether it's accepted to expose any of it in a public situation. Nor is there the presumption that this is being done for reasons of sexual gratification/voyeurism, the way it would be if it was women.

Wizards is protecting the interests of their clientele. If their clientele feel harrassed at a tournament, does it make sense for Wizards to say "well, at least nobody is beating off to your asscrack..."?

They made the right move, regardless of how much people think they overreacted. It's not about public perception of how "OK" it is for asscracks to be exposed it public. It's about the right not to have them posted all over the internet without their consent.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Rules question: Does Akroan Horse entering the battlefield trigger Purphoros before being taken by an opponent? Or does it enter the battlefield under the control of the opponent? I'm not sure how the wording affects the board there.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

RME posted:

Sacrifice your wallet, discard your cash: Gain a miscut Lion's Eye Diamond in your collection. Play this only as a bid on an auction.

If you don't pay your rent at the beginning of the next rent cycle, you lose the game.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

netdeck = bad
rogue brew = jank

:shrug:

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

To a person who doesn't play in serious tournaments, taking a game loss for not-opaque-enough sleeves seems pretty arbitrary. I'm going to assume that it's me not connecting the dots, and not some draconian punishment.
I have clear sleeves for some of my decks -- I can't see how that gives me an unfair advantage. Would anyone care to enlighten me?

e: is it because some cards appear more tattered than others (moderately played/ heavily played) than others, and that it could be considered 'marked' cards?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Yeah that makes sense -- I hadn't really thought of double-faced cards. I guess you just run the goofy double-faced card insert and just have your Delvers locked-and-loaded on the side, or you just run sleeves you can't even remotely see through.
I wonder if he bought the sleeves the day-of, or whether he's been testing the deck using them.

e: n/m the above post makes the situation clear.

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 17, 2014

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Here's a recent study in suck-rare:

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Ok, how about this one?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

^^^ ahahaha MTGO can't even get the shittiest combo ever to work as intended.

"I finally did it! My stupid homebrew finally paid -- wait a minute...what? WIZARDS!!!" :argh:

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I love Prognostic Sphinx because it's deceptively good. No one really freaks about a 3/5 flyer and the ability to deep-fix your draws is really underestimated. I don't believe it will last too long though. It took people a while to catch up with Nightveil Specter...

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

The things goons do with soap.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I go by BREAST

Bombs
Removal
Evasion
Ability
Synergy
The Rest

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

morning wood posted:

Ahh I was searching for "MTG Dreck". Thought it was something specific to drafting/MTG.

So you must have come up with this?

e: but on topic, the first piece of advice I was given before I ever drafted turns out to be one I still come back to: Creatures win drafts. Even the lovely ones. If you're running less than 15 creatures mainboard, you will probably have a bad time -- drafts can't really support fringe pet-decks. In a top-deck situation, you're better off ripping that 1/2 bestow dude than you are pulling a 3rd Fall of the Hammer. It's extra feel-bad if there's no creature on your side to use the hammer with.

Creatures win drafts.

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

It, too, will rotate out with RTR.

• Locked thread