Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

uggy posted:

I do actually wonder what everybody's fav/pet card is.

wild mongrel

Narcomoeba - that thing is such a cutie~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

BJPaskoff posted:

I don't even know what to name the next thread, we're all out of editions! "Magic: The Gathering: The Megathread: Magic 2011 Edition" sounds weird in 2014, doesn't it? And we can't use the naming scheme of the following year (like naming this one Magic 2015 edition) because there needs to be more than one thread per year.

block names would be pretty cool. Magic the Gathering: Invasion. Magic the Gathering: Return to Ravnica.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Loving Life Partner posted:

I'm a newer player (started playing real magic with RTR) and one of the cards I quickly loved was this one:

It's like, wait, WHAT do I get for 5 mana!? An 8/8!?

And then I was able to populate it a few times playing RTR draft and it made my heart sing, hahaha.

Technically it costs you 6 and required you to play a land that didn't generate colors in a multicolor format. That said, it was fine if you counted it as a spell, etc.

Still, Grove of the Guardian wasn't that great considering all the evasive decks and solid removal in the format and that the 8/8 doesn't have trample.

Here's another great card:

Man why won't they reprint this :negative:. Pretty good story involving this: Vampires player Mind Sludges me for 5 cards, I'm on 6 mana and 6 cards in hand and one is Open the Vaults :getin: (also pitched a couple of O-rings to his Mind Sludge for the epic rubs-in).

Zoness fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 7, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

Probably because we're currently in a block where this is ridiculously good.

I expect it to randomly be reprinted in a set with little to no enchantment presence.

It was originally printed in the same standard format as Alara block so there was kind of a big artifact presence, including two artifact cyclers, some nice 187 artifacts (Filigree Angel), Oblivion Ring, and Sphinx of the Steel Wind. Also Time Sieve.

I really don't think it would be remotely as broken in the current standard. 6 is a pretty tough mana cost to get to and there aren't a lot of particularly great high-cost enchantments to cheat out on-color.

If anything it might be the symmetrical effect. Also I was pretty sad Open the Vaults rotated out before Scars rotated in :v:.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

SpruceZeus posted:

My favorite card is Figure of Destiny.

My foil Figure is one of my favorite things that I own.

This ties in with the thing about pet names but we always called figure Charmander - Charizard, the 1/1 form being an egg.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Psychatog probably would still be pretty darn good if it weren't for that meddling R&D!

The same set also gave U/B players Teferi then Damnation in PLC and then later in that block 'Goyf was printed, spelling the doom of 'Tog.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 7, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Tonde Mo Nai posted:

I really enjoyed when they were explicitly doing this on the FNM/Judge promos. Especially when it doesn't quite work with the art.

Man way to not link the best one (although Jackal Pup's is really good to be sure)

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Anyone playing in Somerset this weekend?

I'm thinking about it but I haven't tuned my U/W list and would at least want to get Archangels and temples before going. It's only like an hour away for me but :effort:.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

AgentSythe posted:

Most RNGs I've seen make their "calculation" based on the system time, so you can actually gain some information if you know that. That said, we're talking about responding to things on a per-millisecond basis so unless you're a beep boop robot (a RUG Delver player) it doesn't really matter and he is just being a big weirdo.

A robotic player wouldn't play Affinity, Stax, Painted Stone, or Shop?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

goferchan posted:

I know this is totally anecdotal and could be a freak occurrence but an opponent and I sat there rolling d2s back and forth for a minute and I rolled ten 1s and he rolled ten 2s. Whatever algorithm they use seems seriously hosed

That kind of event doesn't preclude good randomness, no matter how unlikely it is.

Paradoxically, it actually means the RNG is working well because it defied your expectations.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

FearlessRedBeard posted:

They still attempt to fix mistakes far too late, just check out Skylasher. This card rotated in by the time the card it targeted fell out the meta.

I like Kataki, War's Wage, who was shoved into the first set they could as a stopgap to Affinity, but by then Affinity's power players had already been banned out of the format (Mirrodin-Kamigawa standard).

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

jassi007 posted:

I'd guess wizards has fiddled with draft formats so much over the last few years people don't remember/understand that the idea was large set would have format staples like removal, draw spells, etc, for draft and block constructed and small sets would add a few little things, but as a stand alone they don't have enough of the necessary cards. Or at least that was always my understanding.

No, casual players have always wanted to do triple small set as long as they've known about drafting and a small set gets released, because they see it as chances to open ~cash card~ and then try to play for more packs.

Too bad I couldn't ever convince anyone to play FUT FUT FUT. Now that was a great small set :getin:.

It's mostly that there are a lot of players who draft just for the sake of opening cards as opposed to going about it with the intent of playing limited as a tournament.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

St0rmD posted:

My LGS normally runs drafts in the BTT format for FNM and stuff, but yesterday they were doing a special triple BNG single-elimination draft for $8, with an 8/4 prize split. The pods were filling up and firing off like crazy.

To be fair that kind of thing looks appealing solely based on prize structure.

But in general, small sets aren't designed to be triple-drafted. Look at Dragon's Maze - it is severely lacking in solid curve fillers and has cards in every guild in a small set, there's just no way to build a deep strategy aside from 'grab as many firstblades as you can'. Cards like Beetleform Mage are great in singles but get worse in multiples, severely unbalancing the cardpool.

The worst in my experience was when people at my FLGS back in college really wanted to do CON CON CON (Conflux). Conflux was a set that was designed around domain and 5-color but a lot of the quality multicolor cards (not necessarily domain or WUBRG) and good removal were in ALA. What's more is Conflux had probears (gold 2-drops that have protection from the color opposite to the two in their casting cost such as UW 2/2 with protection from red) at common, making the format really dull on the combat front.

What's worse is when people insisted on ARB ARB ARB, a format that was solely about t1 borderpost into t2 shardblade or you were losing. In general the issue is that large sets tend to have the staples for the limited formats while small sets introduce cards to build off those synergies/strategies, and by drafting triple small set you're basically abandoning a huge part of the synergy designed in the format.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

I'm rather impartial to New Phyrexia x3. But then that's probably because somehow I managed to draft freaking eleven Geth's Verdicts and win with absolute ease.

Yeah, over a fourth of my deck.

If you think drafting 10+ copies of a card is awesome you should have played CSP CSP CSP.

10 Surging Dementia 14 Surging Sentinel.dek vs 14 Sound the Call 10 Aurochs.dek

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Cactrot posted:

I use Decktats, mostly because it exports BBcode for easy posting in the deck building thread.

I'm a fan of Decktats because they put the ink in Inkmoth Nexus.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Cactrot posted:

How big of a hit is not having Thoughtseize? I've got the deck built except for those and I'm not really excited about purchasing a whole playset that costs more than the rest of the deck.

Any suggestions for other SB candidates in lieu of Thoughtseize?

I'm sorry but if you haven't played with the card you really should. It's pricy to acquire but just proxy it up and test the list with some friends then replace it with a Duress and you can see the difference.

Duress exists but Thoughtseize is really that good.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I have to say I appreciate using the encoded set name as the passphrase for a Vignere cipher (spoilers pertaining to conspiracy announcement for any that still want to figure it out).

But yeah, on letter frequency alone you can tell it's not a standard substitution cipher.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I'm just saying it's pretty rude to whip out a camera and take a picture of someone no matter what you're doing and it makes me really insecure about my greasy neckbeard that I wear solely to blend in at my FLGS. Also something about my soul.

Now the more important question - is it legal to whip out my $700 film camera to take a photo of my opponent's hand, process the negative in the darkroom attached to my flgs, and then use that as a reference for the rest of the match?

Seriously just don't take pictures in real matches.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Tharizdun posted:

The loving UW Mirror will go to turns anyway, who cares if your match ends in 38 or 35 minutes.

I don't get this - I played plenty of UW - Esper matches that don't get close to time and do involve extensive Aetherling wars and proper play from both players. I guess I'm either more/less experienced than these guys that pilot the U/W/x lists to time.

vvv Also yeah let me talk about all the cool things I do that FNM threatens to block off my schedule from... hey bro where's my bro Yamazaki I need my +2/+2 and haste and don't need rules like the Legendary rule or this dumb camera rule.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sleep of Bronze posted:

I was wondering if taking pictures came under note taking but the 2.11 section only refers to written notes so that seems to be out. My cunning plan to draw an opponent's cards instead of writing down the names is apparently a failure then. :sigh:

You could probably use a paint app and call it taking notes. In fact, let me unveil my new app - Draw Mono-B Devotion, where you can paint any card in Mono-B devotion by numbers.

Stinky Pit posted:

Listen, I have really cool and awesome things to do like touch a girl and drink beers, because I'm cool and awesome, I don't have time to listen to reasonable advice.

Don't forget how he has to deal with 2 guys at his FLGS that look like stereotypical card playing nerds! The visceral cryptborn horror!

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 14, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

bhsman posted:

B) I don't really care about higher tournament play.

But other people do, so dispensing advice that isn't legal in higher level tournaments isn't particularly great on that front (plenty of posts about first time GPs and the like). That said, if you don't run into problems with it, kudos to you.

Especially when you're passing it with primer-level advice on running a deck, you're probably passing your brew on to people that would want to try it at higher REL events.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

jhorphear posted:

With all this talk about note taking and getting pictures of your opponents hand. I have always used a notepad and pen to keep track of life totals as the game progresses, but do people seriously have a problem remembering the 7 ( or fewer ) cards in someone's hand? I have a poo poo memory and have almost always played while high or drunk and have never had an issue remembering what someone has in their hand.

You probably don't actually have a poo poo memory -- but I don't think it's about actually being able to remember as opposed to making sure you know exactly what they have, especially for tight play sequencing.

I've played against meticulous players who wrote stuff down and still handled the wrong cards (i.e. Rakdos Returning after splitting piles on a Jace -2 giving me counters but placing me on Elspeth which I made a show of tucking and which he wrote down).

It's just easy to make mistakes like that and having the record helps mitigate it, and once you're in that habit it's hard to try to remember things without an aid.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

bhsman posted:

I couldn't have warned anyone about something I was completely unaware of before, but I'll be sure to mention it in the future.

That said, if Magic continues to enjoy widespread play for the next couple of years, at what point does Wizards continue to draw the line with regard to technology? GoogleGlass or some competitor's analogue alone would make it really interesting: just look at the opponent's hand, take picture, and hand it back. Or, assuming cards like Slaughter Games that let you search an opponent's library, you could just record a video while you search through the deck.

My real point in responding to all this was the contention that taking a photo is somehow rude or even slow when I think it's just unconventional and people are reacting to that.

No idea about it, but I'm sure wizards will try to restrict digitally recording cards until it's thoroughly unpreventable due to impact on decklist knowledge. The thing is part of GP's and PT's is that decklists are secret until the event is played but knowing the opponent's list even before boarding lets you play differently from not knowing the list (granted there's not a lot of ways to prevent this even without pictures of cards etc just because you get time to chat with teammates and walk around and junk).

Think of it this way - if everyone that played against big shot player's new deck at a GP flickr'd snapshots of that player's hands over the course of the tournament any innate surprise value in running the brew would be lost. Whether or not this is a good thing is up in the air but it is still a thing. And that's the thing - with written stuff it's still fairly restrictive to distribute. Once you take a phone photo there's no way to keep you from tweeting that photo.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

weird vanilla posted:

Then why disallow instant digital photographs, apart from "it's against the rules"?

Because then you can easily distribute parts of peoples' decklists and piece together an opponent's decklists on shared photos.

bhsman posted:

That's more or less my point: why is taking a photo any different from writing down notes?

One of those isn't on the phone and isn't instant verification of truth by consequence of being on-site and being a photo.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

How is it fairly restrictive? If you actually care enough to be doing it in the first place, posting some text (seven card names at most, usually) isn't that hard.

Presumably if you did it in the middle of a match it would take long enough to be noticeable. Also I could just post 7 cards without context and it wouldn't mean much nor would it guarantee what I posted to be truth. A photo of some player splaying out some cards gives you a face and an idea of their decklist.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

bhsman posted:

What is the difference between that and literally finishing a game, whipping out your phone and texting what cards and combos a player used? If the answer is none, effectively and there isn't then what is there to debate?

I believe you've pointed out the difference right there.

It is remarkably easy to take a picture that has both a player and cards shown on it, and way harder to fake a player's picture with cards than it would be to post a player's name and cards that they're not playing.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

bhsman posted:

Then what the gently caress is wrong with photos if the hang up is the speed of disseminating information?

It's not the speed -- it's the reliability.

What's more easily believable and parseable:

"Kibler lost to a topdecked bonfire"

or

But with actual cards shown and discussed, etc. Also earlier in the tournament.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

I'm just curious, which actual rule would you point to as grounds for stepping in, or is it just based on your interpretation of the spirit of what the DCI wants?

Sportsmanship, for starters? (It's kind of an umbrella really). Disseminating an opponent's decklist is intentionally giving that player a disadvantage for the rest of the tournament, it's clearly a malicious act.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Loot Pinata posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't trade your New Player tickets so you might as well use them. M14's not a bad draft format as far as core sets go, as I understand it.

I dunno, it's no M11, but it's also not 9ed.

Just pick every blue card you can and then maybe get green or black cards. White is awful in m14 barring the bombs.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
People tend to forget that Nissa was actually part of a deck that worked well against Jund until Jund players adapted (more blightning).

Also Mythic conscription :laffo:.

The real problem was that Nissa was just that much worse than Elspeth once the dust settled and people learned how to deal with the Nissa deck.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Feb 17, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

ChewyLSB posted:

I know this is super late but its me in this video playing against my literal worst matchup.

Your opponent sounds like a huge jerk from his narration and I'm sorry you had to play against that.

Maybe not a huge jerk but listening to someone say 'crab it up' like it's worth repeating is just... :psyduck:.

Also scapeshift is cool but having a losing matchup to mill has to be p awkward.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 19, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

MrBling posted:

It's Magic, nobody is really truly dead.

What about Urza :can: (or Mishra or Volrath or Gerrard Capashen).

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Time Spiral storm island is one of the better islands that's overlooked imo.

Look at that beauty:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Magic is actually really good about keeping dead people dead. Who have they "killed" that they then resurrected? They've said they desperately wanted to avoid doing what comic books do.

The Phyrexians. Also Jeska kinda.

What a Judas posted:

No word on miscuts, eh. I guess those aren't exactly budget friendly.

What's the proper term for a Mistcutter Hydra that is miscut?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

jassi007 posted:

I had nothing better to do at work than look this up.

Urza used a phyrexian heartstone to give karn sentience. Thats how he got the drop of phyrexian oil. The oil spread their corruption. So Karn was infected from the day he came to life, carried that infection to Mirrodin when he created it, so it was inevitable that they got corrupted. Basically they thought they beat the Phyrexians when they killed them all and shattered their world, but Urza was a retard and used a part that gives sentience to Phyrexian constructs to create a golem that was part of the legacy weapon. Karn was a phyrexian the whole time basically. he then became the first phyrexian planeswalker, created Argentum which became mirrodin because memnarch was corrupted by the drop of oil in Karn's heart. After fixing mirrodin in the first mirrodin block, Karn went back to Dominaria for Time spiral. After that he knew he was corrupted, planeswalked a bunch, went to Mirrodin's Core and sat down, and tried to fight the corruption in himself. Melira went to the core, cleaned Karn up except she couldn't cure his heart or some poo poo, so Venser sacrificed himself to give Karn a new clean heart/spark/whatever. Karn woke up and promptly lost the war or some poo poo, vowing to "make it all right"

TL:DR sneaky phyrexians we thought we had them but Karn was secretly one of them the whole time!

Man way to not mention Xantcha, Urza using her heartstone for Karn was also one of those rare Urza being sentimental and human things.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Tharizdun posted:

I thought Karn turned out to be the Mirari or something? The Mirrodin (first time around) books were really, really bad.

Memnarch was the Mirari :psyduck:. Karn made the Mirari to see what Dominaria was like after the invasion or something.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I have German and Chinese cards but I know exactly what Steel Overseer and Cranial Plating (and Ajani Vengeant and Knight of the Reliquary) do so it's not a problem :colbert:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

jassi007 posted:

Karn was built with the heart of a phyrexian and has had two different sparks. It is semantics to say he is not, or was not, a phyrexian. He literally infected Mirrodin from his own heart.

Isn't Karn's first spark still the spark of Glacian (which was in the Weakstone and Mightstone and also the spark of Urza Planeswalker)?

Also Glissa becoming compleated is really sad :/. It's too bad Memnarch was a jerk and tried to take her spark but then Slobad had to use it and then Slobad died.

Shut up I don't follow mtg lore that much okay.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Alaan posted:

The Phyrexian population is also wildly divergent from the originals. Instead of just churning programmed fantasy androids out of goo vats, a lot of their population is corrupted Mirrans.

Corrupted is the term used by Mirran propagandists. We prefer the term compleated. Would you like to undergo compleation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Kasonic posted:

I got a Rise of the Eldrazi common/uncommon playset on Ebay last year for $50, which was a total steal. I doubt anyone would put one up for Lorwyn/Shadowmoor, just due to the number of high value cards like Cursecatcher, Kitchen Finks, etc. Sounds like you'd have to put together that manually unless you can find a good "Quitting Magic here's everything" auction.

Some veterans consider Lorwyn one of their favorite draft sets, but it bombed horrifically among casuals and the mass market due to the board complexity it generated. Different strokes.

I actually like Shadowmoor a lot more than Lorwyn but that's mostly because I always got to get Silkbind Faeries :getin:. Drafting merfolk in Lorwyn was pretty fun too though.

• Locked thread