Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Crosspost from the Selling/Trading thread for the aid of those who are new to sending cards in the mail:

BXCX posted:

Because what else would I do with a free extra hour? We seem to get questions about this often enough, feel free to point out any flaws/dumb stuff in my method. I've burned through enough stamp books and boxes of envelopes to feel like I know what I'm doing.

How to mail cards in a plain white envelope for fun and profit

This is a fatpack box that I keep almost everything I need for mailing out my cardboard treasures. Clockwise from the top are: sleeves of various brand, color and quality Ive received in other trades, a bag of penny sleeves, a bunch of old draft sleeves, toploaders, and size 6 3/4 security envelopes. You will likely only ever need to buy one pile of toploaders ever as you will (usually) get fresh toploaders in every trade you mail out. The standard toploader can hold 2-3 cards in a sleeve snugly. Every so often I'll get a big toploader that can hold 5-6 cards in a sleeve, I set those aside and use them when I have a bunch of commons to mail out. I prefer the 6 3/4 size envelopes because they're closer in size to the toploader and they save a little bit of weight so I can cram more cards in if necessary.

This is everything you need to send out your wizard poker investments. Ignore everything that references PucaTrade, unless you are sending out cards for PucaTrade. On the letter size paper I type out the recipient's address, the cards they are receiving for their half of the trade, my address, and the cards I am receiving for my half of the trade. This is more for me than anything since sometimes I'm sending 5-10 trades on the same day so it helps to prevent me from putting cards in the wrong envelope. Those two lines are to guide folding the paper to fit in the envelope, they're set at something like 1 3/16" from the edge of the paper.

Step 1: Put the cards in the sleeve.

Step 2: Put the sleeved cards in the toploader with the open part of the sleeve first.

Step 3: Put a post-it note on the front of the toploader.

Step 4: Flip the toploader, apply a piece of tape, and fold over the very end of the tape on itself.

Step 5: Stick the tape to the back of the toploader. Note how the folded over bit of tape makes it so that the recipient can easily peel it off.

Note: You can safely skip steps 3-5 by just taping the toploader shut, but this annoys some people and if you forget the sleeve or put it in upside down the cards can stick to the tape, causing potential damage and feelbads.

Step 6: Fold your letter size piece of paper on the long edges, note that I don't care about hitting the guide lines, exactly, I just want it to fit in the envelope. I put it with the face down so that the address of the recipient end up face up so I can double check that I'm stuffing the right envelope.

Step 7: Fold the bottom of the paper a little bit and put the toploader in the pocket you've created.

Step 8: Holding tightly, fold the paper over on the toploader.

Step 9: Using the envelope as a guide, fold the top of the paper down so that it's just barely shorter than the height of the envelope. This keeps the toploader from moving around too much while in transit. Then jam this wad of paper into the envelope and seal it. I forgot to take a picture of this, but I also put two small pieces of tape on the envelope to hold down the flap. I suspect that the bits of tape don't do much, but at some point I decided that it would help the envelopes go smoothly through the machines. Do with that what you will

Step 10: Apply your stamp. Freedom FOREVER :911: Place in a mailbox and expect it to take about three days to make it to the recipient in the continental US.

PROTIPS:
  • Only mail stuff out in PWE that you can afford to replace. While hardly anything actually gets lost in the mail, stuff happens. My personal rule is to only send out stuff that's under $20 in value PWE, everything else gets shipped in a bubble mailer with tracking. In the hundreds of cards I've sent in the mail through here and PucaTrade, exactly one hasn't arrived to it's destination. For that one, the receiver moved in between me sending it and it arriving and he screwed up mail forwarding somehow. That card has been lost in the bowels of the postal system. I still received credit for the trade because I record myself putting the envelopes into the locked mailbox in my apartment complex, but YMMV. The card eventually made it back to me and I was able to send it to him at his new address.
  • Print addresses on the envelope using your computer. Your handwriting is probably awful, which may confuse the machines that sort the mail. That means that someone has to decipher your garbled scrawl by hand, slowing down transit and possibly resulting in them figuring out that you underpaid for postage.
  • The official rules of the USPS state that you're supposed to use a 66 cent stamp and write "nonmachinable" on the envelope because the rigid toploader allegedly won't go through the sorting machine, causing the envelope to get shredded potentially losing the valuable cardboard rectangles inside. I've never had an issue sending one out and I've never had cards packed similarly come in damaged. The only envelopes I've had come in with any damage are those where someone just threw a toploader into a letter size envelope. But again, circumvent the USPS rules at your own risk.
  • Three cards is a good amount to send in one envelope. I've sent 4 in a toploader with 2 cards in a sleeve taped to the side of it in one 46 cent envelope, but it required some cutting of the wrapping paper and careful weighing to make sure it stays under the 1 oz mark. Any more than 6 cards and I'll just send two envelopes.
  • Throw-ins are fun! If I'm only sending out one or two cards I try to throw in something fun, whether it's tokens that go with the card I'm sending or an on color foreign card I have lying around.

BXCX fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

uggy posted:

I do actually wonder what everybody's fav/pet card is.

wild mongrel

Paranoid Delusions since I'm almost a psychologist.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Samael posted:

I just started playing again, so it's all pretty new to me. I played a bit during shards block but thats about it. :) I love most of rebecca guay's art so far, even though I have only seen the promo Path to exile, dark ritual and bitterblossom. Is there any other good rebecca guay cards I haven't found about yet?

My friend just got me this one as a going away present :3:

I'll probably run it as a sideboard card in Merfolk even though it's a suboptimal card.

(The Richard Kane Ferguson art on Boomerang owns as well)

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

C-Euro posted:

I'm building one tonight too, I think I'm doing this wrong because every time I make a first pass at a new EDH deck I end up with a stack of cards at least twice the size of an EDH deck, usually more.

Also I can't decide if I want this to be a budget Momir Vig deck, or to drop the blue and make a good old-fashioned fatty party with Yeva as a commander :getin:

I'm working on Tromokratis/Whelming Wave deck, I took every Kraken, Octopus, Leviathan, and Serpent and jammed in a bunch of monoblue goodstuff and had ~150 cards. So I cut out all the crap sea monsters now there's only 10 of them left in the deck and some of those are pretty questionable. I'm torn between building something that's remotely playable with a flimsy theme or something that plays like garbage but has a kickass theme.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

qbert posted:

My favorite way of determining who goes first is pulling out Rock Lobster, Paper Tiger, and Scissors Lizard and shuffling them facedown and letting my opponent pick his card and mine.

This is the best way to do it and I won't hear otherwise. I had BaronVonVaderham make me up a set in foil and they are sweet as hell.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
I'm going to assume this is the announcement for Conspiracy but I'm just going to wait for someone else to figure it out.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
If they can make a draft set half as fun as MMA with twice the availability I will be pretty jazzed.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

ManiacMatt posted:

Oh I know, I'm not arguing with how much sense it makes. I just remember at the GP I went to back in Toronto, they talked about it a bit. You could take a picture of your pool (it was a sealed event), but were not allowed to post it until after the first round or something like that.

MTGO also lets you look at all your previous draft picks, mid pack, which you're not allowed to at a competitive REL event either (which I also think is ridiculous). At my local store, every draft people are talking at the table, checking their previous picks, hell, some even occasionally check the price of a card to see if it's worth picking up in later packs. I honestly feel allowing people to look at their previous picks mid-pack helps people pick faster as they don't have to stop and think exactly about how many 3 drops they have, or if they had some enablers they fell into for Nemesis of Mortals earlier in the packs when they get passed one, etc.

Now I generally take the game a lot less seriously than a lot of people though too. I have lots of friendly banter mid-game (well unless they're counting up total damage or something when you get big late game board states). I mean I still take my time, and make sure I play everything out in a smart way, and generally do decently well I feel. One of the regulars at my store played 2 seasons of Pro Tour if I remember, and I'm generally a pretty decent match against them. It just bugs me when people go on tilt/freak out over the simplest things.

TL:DR

I agree with you in thinking that it's silly, but I can understand someone asking you not to do it if it's technically against the rules, regardless of what it is (taking pictures of cards, talking during draft, etc.)

Looking at picks mid pack is fine on MTGO because it takes out all possibility for human error/shadyness. It's all good until someone accidentally passes their pool of picks or grabs a card from their pool and then takes two cards out of the pack. It's just like passing a bunch of packs in a row to the guy who's slow picking cards next to you instead of one at a time. On MTGO this is fine because it will automatically give him the right pack, while in real life he might pick up p1p7 instead of p1p5.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Stranglehold buyout in progress, quick BUY BUY BUY!

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Stranglehold is a great sideboard card in EDH, a format where sideboards are not generally all that accepted. It does have a very high feelbads generation potential to effort ratio though, so I believe that the price can only go up uP UP from here, so buy it from me now to get in on the ground floor! :thejoke:

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
How are everyone's FNM's structured? I moved from MD to MI a few weeks ago and have been starting to try new stores. The stores in Maryland I played at ran 3 rounds for draft regardless of attendance and paid out packs based on record (3-0 gets six packs down to 1-1-1 gets one pack). We were also never paired outside our pods, which I liked.

The store I played at last night runs rounds depending on attendance and some of the regulars mentioned that they've done as many as 5 rounds. Prize payout goes to the top X, which isn't decided until the very end. The weirdest/worst thing was that they didn't pair within pods but also didn't make any effort to even out the pods, so I was in a pod of 6 when there were two other pods of 8 which makes the draft feel wonky. It also (seemed to) made the decks weaker in comparison to 8 man decks, I drafted a sweet Mogis Minotaur deck that ran over anyone I played in my pod but folded to anything reasonably drafted from other pods.

I'll probably keep checking out stores, I like this one because it's clean, pretty well run, and doesn't have an intolerable group of local players, but I'd like for my FNM's to be more predictable.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
What's going on with the price if GP Batterskull? From looking at other GP promos it seems like the prices settle somewhere between nonfoil and pack foils, but it's sitting at ~$5 above pack foils almost a week after 4300 copies entered circulation. Is this more "lol modern prices" or just that the art is better than the original?

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Nthing that you need to remember that multiplayer=politics, even in a tournament setting. Coming in with a sick degenerate deck is great the first time, but if you plan on being a regular you're going to get ganged up on if you show up with the same degenerate deck week after week. If it's a one off thing go nuts.

Also, multiplayer introduces you to people's weird quirks about playing magical cards. A few weeks back I played in my first Sheldon points style EDH event (it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but since I wasn't familiar with how the points he assigned I ended up last in my first pod even though I was the second to last left) and an opponent spent the whole game dumping all his resources into killing me while I was stuck on lands while ignoring the other two guys who we're building up decent board states. His rationale was "that's a lot of foils you have there."

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Promoted Pawn posted:

Damnation was in Planar Chaos because it's literally a black version of Wrath of God. Black gets board sweepers normally, but MaRo said in a recent podcast that they don't want to put black and white sweepers in the same block. Fated Retribution is a white one in Born of the Gods. Drown in Sorrow is most likely the best board sweeper black is getting until the next block.

Just a reminder to everyone jonesing for a Damnation reprint that this years FtV is Annihilation.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Oh yeah, I wasn't trying to say that FtV will put a Damnation in the pocket of every manchild, just that it seems like they'd be way more willing to slot it in something called Annihilation instead of reprinting it in Standard when there's a lot going against having it there. If it's ever back in standard it seems like they'd go for a Day of Judgement style printing.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Wizard Finance Protip of the Day: Hurry up or you'll miss out on the ongoing run on multi-format all-star Sewer Nemesis! buy bUY BUY!

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Snacksmaniac posted:

:crossarms:What in the world.

Sorting tip: I'm trying to catch up on sorting. It took me far too long to go through a box and toss out the advertisement cards. Throw them away first thing !

I have a sizable pile of ad cards because I know in 10-15 years that's what's going to be valuable since everyone's throwing them away now :smaug:

I acutaly keep them around because I use them as placeholders in my collection binders so I can tell the difference between cards I don't have and cards that are currently in decks.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

The Wonder Weapon posted:

They allow for phenomenally consistent manabases, absurd splashes, and eat up huge portions of time off the clock in every format. No fetches would increase game speed and reduce obnoxious combo decks without requiring opponents to MD narrow hate cards.

If you don't appreciate the clock time thing, you've never been to a GP. At Montreal this past weekend, the shortest round was ten minutes over time. Modern is no different, but if you remove fetches, you may actually get rounds to finish in under 50 minutes. Keep in mind this problem will only get worse as GPs grow. The round is only as fast as the slowest player.

I know I'm a page or two behind, but has there ever been any discussion on using chess clocks to discourage slow play? I've seen MODO streams where people lose to the clock once they hit 25 minutes, outside of the expense of having to buy a shitload of clocks is there any practical reason they couldn't give that a go?

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

morning wood posted:

Just got back from my first FNM draft. I have to say I didn't really like it. I understand it takes practice to get good but I don't think I know card combinations well enough to build something competitive. Being the 0-3 + a bye whipping boy is never fun.

Give sealed a try if you can find somewhere that offers it. Drafting requires two skill sets, making picks and deck building. Sealed cuts out the making picks part of the equation, which gives you a chance to just focus on building the deck. The variance is much higher since you don't get a say in what you open, but neither does anyone else. Then you can get a chance to practice picking out the best 23 cards out of a pool and jamming in 17 lands. The other nice thing about sealed is you can write down the pool you opened and ask fellow goons over in the Limited Thread for feedback and they can tell you what they would have done differently and why.

If draft is the only thing available, I'd recommend reading articles about draft archetypes and watching videos of pros draft on MTGO for the current format (Born of the Gods/Theros/Theros). I haven't kept up with videos in awhile, but I've always liked Channelfireball.com's stuff. LSV does a review of all the cards in limited that's worth reading through to get a feel for how good cards are in limited and he does a good job of explaining his thought process in his draft videos, although he does tend to go for more wacky decks.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

morning wood posted:

Thanks I'll have to try a sealed when I get the chance. Luckily my LGS plays a lot of standard, so I may just hit another store for FNM on draft nights at my primary store for the time being.

Yeah, play what you're enjoying. I have friends who have been playing for years who can't stand limited despite my insistence of its superiority but they jam standard week after week for reasons I can't comprehend.

You're going to have the easiest time finding sealed events when the prerelease for Journey in to Nyx hits. Those are nice because they tend to draw a more casual crowd, so of you're regularly doing well at FNM and you get the basics of building a sealed deck you'll be miles ahead of a good portion of the field.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Dream Wizards is pretty bad, I played there a couple of times when I first moved to the area almost two years ago. In terms of playerbase it was a lot of self-identified grinders and people who were unpleasantly competitive. I could see it being a good store for someone who takes the game super seriously and and like that kind of environment. Outside of the playerbase, parking is atrocious, prize support is garbage, they won't let you browse through their sales binders, and will give you a hard time for looking for foils or cards they deem unplayable. Whenever someone new showed up to my regular stores for events and identified as coming from Dream Wizards it was a pretty good bet that they were either a): A DW refugee who was tired of it and was looking for a new store or b:) A grinder who came expecting to easily crush an event and would get pissed when they encountered good players who didn't take the game as seriously as they did.

I can't recommend Beyond Comics in Gaithersburg or Novel Books in Clarksburg enough if you're the kind of player who doesn't dream of taking down a GP. Events at both places are run by the same TO (although NB's FNMs are run by deputized regulars) and he's super great and sells singles through his website. There's a good mix of skill levels and more experienced players are happy to help newer players get better. I miss those stores like crazy since I moved back to the Detroit area and hate trying to find a new store because none of them match up :smith:

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Snacksmaniac posted:

There's a handful of pretty good stores around Detroit. Pandemonium is the only one I don't care for because of ventilation and smell issues. The store and employees were really cool when I used to go.

Yeah I played at Pandemonium once when I lived here before I moved to Maryland, the smell was pretty bad.

Death Bot posted:

With regard to the Detroit area, Eternal Games just opened up a couple of weeks back and is pretty nice. Haven't played up there much but the store is clean, their selection is great (packs back to... Kamigawa, I think?) and the people I have talked to have been cool.

Don't know what area you're in though!

I'm in Ferndale, the closest stores to me are Gamers Gauntlet (tiny and only runs standard) and Time Traveler's (ugh). I've been playing FNMs at RIW and it's not too bad outside of the crowd running more high school age than I'd like. I've also played a few times in Gamer's Gauntlet EDH league, the store seems nice and I have a friend who plays there, but I'm not super enthused with the Sheldon Pointstm system they've got going on. It's also a serious hike for me to get out there depending on traffic. My friend was going to swing by Eternal Games for their Sunday EDH so I might give them a try if he likes it, I'm hesitant to do the Friday draft since if I'm giving up my Friday I'd at least like to be in the running for the promo.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

AnacondaHL posted:

Do not agree. If you're not set on using Voice until October for Standard do not buy. It is barely eternal playable and you will be able to pick them up for $5 a pop after rotation.

What usually happens with foils of chase mythics at rotation? I want to pick up foils of Voice and an Archangel of Thune for EDH but I'm not in a rush. Voice is sitting at ~$70 right now and Archangel is sitting at ~$50. Will they stay close to that since they're fringe playable in Pod or will they tank just as hard? I just picked up a Sublime Archangel for $17, which from what I recall is well below what she was worth in standard even though I'm sure her price is propped up somewhat by the Angel Crowd.

Death Bot posted:

As someone who used to live in Ferndale, Eternal's probably gonna be your best bet. GG is indeed small as poo poo and TT is neat to go to but bad to stay at for very long. Eternal is right off of 696 anyways so it's only 5-10 minutes further than GG is and all of their stuff starts a bit later.

I would probably go to GG more if their prize support wasn't poo poo, but they tend to get 12-16 people for drafts and even when they do two pods of drafting they mash them together for play and only pay out to the top two. I had one month where between drafting and standard I placed third at every single FNM and didn't win a single thing :geno:

Eternal also does drafts on sundays if you want to try and make that work, and I live less than a mile away if you just wanna meet up for a beer some time or something :v:

haha I meant to say Guild of Blades instead of Gamer's Gauntlet, GG is super far away from me. Their prize support for EDH league is pretty poo poo so I'm not surprised. I just looked on Google Maps and Eternal Games is closer to me than RIW by a few miles, I might give them a try next week since I have to go to RIW tonight to pick up the Banisher Priest they owe me from taking down the draft last week. Sunday drafts might be a nice change of pace anyway, it'd be nice to have Friday nights back and goon meets are always a good time.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
I for one think the MTG finance movement has it right, prices can only go up uP UP from here with no end in sight. I know this to be a fact in large part due to my prior experiences speculating on mass produced-collectible items.

[Posting from my throne built from the finest 90's variant cover comics, Marvel trading cards, and Beanie Babies]

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Literally The Worst posted:

I paid for college with mint copies of Spawn #1.

I look forward to paying off my student loans with this Merfolk Deck :smithicide:

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I can't speak to the lore of Alara, but I remember hearing another possibility that I hadn't considered; that they may reprint Ajani Vengeant. Seems unlikely since land destruction isn't something they print very often, but it's the only other alternative as I don't think they'd have two mono-white walkers in the same block.

If new Ajani isn't GW I'm going to quit Magic forever be sad about it and not really do anything of consequence.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Saeku posted:

Stranglehold, Chaos Warp, and Torpor Orb are your buddies here.

The best chaos warps are the ones where where you go through all the trouble of shuffling the big rear end deck and then flip over the tucked card.

Also, Threaten effects with a sac outlet (or just Grab the Reins) are also a decent answer, especially if you have something like Mimic Vat or Skullclamp to capitalize on the death.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Will most decent LGSs that stock singles have a Jeweler's Loupe and blacklight on hand to check to see if cards are legit? I just picked up a Gaea's Cradle and it looks real but I want to be sure. It passes the light test, water test, and the print quality looks the same under magnification as an Urza's Saga Forest I've had sitting in a box for 15ish years.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

vOv posted:

What? BXCX already has the cradle, I figured they just wanted to borrow an LGS's loupe and blacklight instead of buying their own.
Correct! I don't plan on picking up very many $130+ cards in the near future from strangers on the internet so I thought I'd skip buying some crap I didn't need if it was a common thing for stores to have.

Tharizdun posted:

I've enjoyed a lot of your posts about sweet finds and miscuts and ultra-high-end acquisitions, What a Judas. I fully expect to see you post your newly-acquired Splendid Genesis any day now.

That doesn't change the fact that living in la-la land where you're dealing with insanely high-dollar cards has caused you to lose perspective on what it sounds like when someone suggests that it is reasonable to expect a dingy rathole android's dungeon with packs of 1991 Donruss baseball cards covered in a layer of dust on the shelf would have a loving jeweler's loupe of all things lying around.

It's not that I'm an rear end in a top hat, it's that some people are completely delusional and on comedy website something awful dot com, it's ok to laugh at those people.

Ah yes, the wild delusion that a business that deals in counterfeitable cardboard rectangles that have a UV reflective coating and a distinctive printing process might have the common tools to avoid inadvertently acquiring fake cards. I'm the crazy one here, thank you for your reasonable response.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Zoness posted:

A lot of the stock that moves for stores isn't the expensive cards though.

True, but most stores I've been to that do sell singles have the odd Tundra or Lion's Eye Diamond in the case even if they don't support a Legacy Crowd. I would hope that the store would check on it before putting it up for sale so I was curious to see if stores kept that stuff on hand or not.

Toshimo posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-60X-Je...=item51ab46c4b6

Theres a ton of these in a million variations on ebay for $2-3.

If you are concerned at all, just buy one.

Thanks, if I had thought about it earlier I would have grabbed something like this, I'll probably just order one to have on hand in case I end up getting another high dollar card down the road.

I got the card in the mail today and I'd like to settle the trade before the end of the day, I'll call around to some stores nearby once I'm done working.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Ramos posted:

I'm personally seeing five color Chromanticore control continuing its excellent streak so far in the competitive scene.

I'd probably play standard if that could be a thing. I got blown out of the water by a decent Chromanticore draft deck at FNM last night. It was a great durdley deck that did almost nothing of consequence until he was able to grind me out for tons of life with Scholar of Atheros and the inspired life drain guy or he randomly dropped Chromanticore on a Nessian Asp for a bonkers life swing.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

JerryLee posted:

Yeah, an official CFB person explained it in chat after I posted that. I had just tuned in.

Also, this poor guy. On the one hand it's :unsmith: to me because he's basically playing the platonic ideal of schoolyard constructed Magic decks, on the other hand it's :smith: because I have to believe he just completely didn't know what he was getting into by showing up at a GP like this. If you're going to drop $40 (or whatever it is here) registering for a huge Magic tournament, why wouldn't you at least learn what's up and maybe build a budget tier 2 deck like, I don't know, not this.

e: apparently Ben Lundquist is being really nice though :unsmith:

Even if you go X-0 you get the sweet Batterskull Promo and usually a playmat so it's not a total loss, although it looks like only VIP's get the playmat at GP Phoenix. You do get CFB sleeves, tokens, pen, and lifepad!

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Assassination on camera :woop:

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

vOv posted:

This is a very different post taken out of context.

This Channel Fireball coverage brought to you by Zapruder Clothing Company.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
My favorite part of Constellation is Mana Bloom getting picked up as a speculation target again after it first got a lot of hype in Theros spoiler season and never went anywhere.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Konstantin posted:

Another speculation target is Legion's Initiative. If there's a constructed playable constellation card in red or white you could flicker all your enchantment creatures and get multiple triggers, which might make it worth a slot.

That seems reasonable though since even if Initiative doesn't end up as a thing in standard it's a Mythic that has kitchen table/casual appeal from a poorly opened set. Bloom at its best could read "G: Trigger Constellation at sorcery speed once per turn."

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Ramos posted:

Context?

They're from way back in 2011 allegedly from our beloved Ken Nagle's playtest binder as seen in this MTG Salvation Thread.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Fresh off of MaRo's Twitter.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Mikujin posted:

For anyone who has ever been interested in Custom Sleeves, looks like your dreams might be coming true.

I know that it's probably expensive to do a single run of a custom image, but $35 to sleeve a deck and SB with 5 spares seems insane. I could get three packs of Hyper Mats for that. At least they come with the sleeve covers so they might last longer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

I'm sure the gentlemen wearing "Got Trades?" T-shirts are wildly pleasant to interact with.

• Locked thread