Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
From this post:

quote:

Pick. Plot. Play.

Experience a Magic format where the intrigues begin long before the first spells are cast! Revolutionary new abilities impact every part of the play experience, starting with the draft itself.

Cogwork Librarian—One of the sixty new Magic cards in Conspiracy.

The first-ever multiplayer-focused booster set has new Magic cards with new mechanics that enhance multiplayer play. Returning favorites from throughout Magic's history round out the set and cultivate an environment of deception and treachery. The Magic:The Gathering–Conspiracy set is designed to be drafted with six to eight players who then split into groups of three or four players for free-for-all multiplayer games.

Number of Cards:210
Release Date:June 6, 2014
Three-letter abbreviation:CNS
Twitter Hashtag:#MTGCNS
Initial Concept and Game Design:Shawn Main (lead), Dan Helland, David Humpherys, Kenneth Nagle, and Matt Tabak
Final Game Design and Development:David Humpherys (lead), Dan Emmons, K. Joseph Huber, Sam Stoddard, and Gavin Verhey, with contributions from Matt Tabak
Languages:English, Japanese, Chinese Simplified
Available in:Booster Packs

Key Points:
Multiplayer Booster Draft Format
15 Card Booster Packs (MSRP $3.99) 36 Packs per Display
Black-Bordered Cards

Release event promo card at participating WPN locations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

kirtar posted:

Wait unless someone else had 69 million health, that doesn't sound like it would work as Malignus' power and toughness would instantaneously be reduced after combat damage. Assuming that nobody else had that much health the fling would only deal 17,250,000 damage and leave him at 17,250,000. Should have played magister sphinx (or sorin markov -3, etc)

Maybe "casual game" means they houseruled combat damage on the stack back in? :v:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Myriad Truths posted:

Probably the result of a lack of data. Messenger's Speed is one of the least-played cards in the set.

Yeah, it says right there it's only been played in 67 games, compared to 2280 for Gary. What's really surprising is that Aspect of Hydra is between them, at 61% with 848 games. (Less surprising is that Defend the Hearth is the worst card by a wide margin.)

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

qbert posted:

Quick rules question: Pithing Needle's ability doesn't use the stack, right? So if I cast Needle and my opponent has an Underworld Connections on a Swamp, and they choose to take no action while the spell is on the stack, as soon as it enters the battlefield and I name Swamp, they cannot respond by tapping the Swamp to draw one last card, right?

That is correct. If it said "When Pithing Needle the battlefield", it would be a triggered ability that goes on the stack, but "As Pithing Needle enters the battlefield" doesn't use the stack.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Wait what do you mean Plainswalkers exist in the game now? I am confused at that.

I think I have my old cards at my moms house I'll see if she would mail them to me but I am unsure what I have.

Not plainswalkers, planeswalkers.

Here's the relevant rules article.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Decklist is up, just one Remand unfortunately.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

jassi007 posted:

I boldly predict there will never be another supertype so long as Tarmogoyf lives.

Tarmogoyf doesn't count supertypes, though, otherwise everyone would be playing snow lands exclusively.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

jassi007 posted:

Right, but this is where i get confused about checking state based actions vs. last known information. I'm not sure which rule is in effect. For the above example, if you bolt the 2/3 goyf, he takes 3, but when we check state based actions after bolt resolves, he's a 3/4 with 3 damage, doesn't die.

Right, but Orzhov Charm doesn't cause it to die due to a state-based effect, it's just killing it. Orzhov Charm kills it, then makes you lose the life, and only then does the Charm finish resolving and hit the graveyard.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Ojetor posted:

Back when Gerrard was made, tapped creatures dealt no combat damage, so his ability made sense.

Actually, no. Gerrard was in Apocalypse, which was long after the 6th edition rules changes which eliminated the "tapped blockers deal no damage" rule.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Gynovore posted:

It's a good card, but in a highlander format the exile ability doesn't do much. IIRC, it won't even stop the recasting of a Commander, because the Commander card is moved from the exile zone to the command zone.

EDH has so much recursion that exiling is pretty crucial. If you don't exile something, it'll get reanimated by someone eventually.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

jscolon2.0 posted:

Ironically a format called Conspiracy is in fact "honesty matters".

But seriously, it's a weird way to template cards, when "turn up whenever a spell is cast, and name that spell" is functionally identical.

Not at all. If you name something at the beginning of the match, there's a chance you won't draw the card you named, or that you'll want to use it for something else.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Unless I'm misreading "cannot be targeted by an opponent's card effects", it would give the knight hexproof too, right?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

If they made a not-Genghis with an ability like that, they could just model it after Charisma, which would both be a much simpler template and a Time Spiral-esque wink at an older card.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Dawn Charm is a beautiful card and I'm glad it's getting good use somewhere.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Gensuki posted:

Is Sarkhan Vol permadead? If only for the name, I'd like Tarkir to be his plane.

Also the spoiler art looks like him maybe... In that it is a vaguely asian man with a staff.

Virtually the only two things we know about Tarkir so far is that it's Sarkhan's home plane, and dragons are supposedly extinct there.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Dungeon Ecology posted:

They're basically going to immediately errata that bit of lore like "uh oh -- the Dragons are reawakening! Now there are dragons and its a super big deal!"

I mean, they just reprinted Crucible of Fire. That can't just be for Stormbreath Dragon, right?

Well, one of the sets is called "Dragons of Tarkir".

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

No, making it unnecessarily complicated and bureaucratic fits.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Something like "artifact creature--equipment horse" maybe.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Time Spiral wasn't about loving with the color pie, though. Pinging was just in-color for blue for the first two-thirds of the game's life.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I still have a fond place in my heart for the Apocalypse names, since Invasion block is when I started drafting, but I know they were never going to catch on.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

While it's technically true that that stops Emrakul's ability from triggering, somehow I don't think that's an option for reanimator.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Entropic posted:

So who here is actually old enough to remember when Wizards wimped out and cut all the demon references from 4th edition because they were afraid of Christian parents associations or whatever?

"Creature--Baatezu."

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

jassi007 posted:

Monday Announcement chat: The official reprint policy, http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/tcg/article.aspx?x=magic/products/reprintpolicy , does specifically state it only applies to tournament legal cards. So that technically gives them the loophole to print any card in gold border.

"The Reserved List actually specifically prevents that."

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

RTR Block Drafting was RTR/RTR/RTR then GTC/GTC/GTC then DGM/GTC/RTR so Guild mixing didn't happen until Dragon's Maze.

Well, you could still very much mix guilds in the first two sets--you just couldn't mix them outside of those groups of 5.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Gensuki posted:

Kruphix would not be hosed, would it? He prevents mana from emptying from your pool. Or was mana burn conditional on the amount of mana you had, not how much emptied out...

That's correct. Note the original printing of Upwelling:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Sleep of Bronze posted:

(There are so many good bits of flavour text in Kamigawa, but practically every card needs a sentence trimming off it to just leave the good bits behind. Where the hell was their editor?)

I saw them once, when I was a child. They led me to my parents' arms when I was lost. Why have they abandoned me now? Why won't they take me home again?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

InterrupterJones posted:

Evil Eye of Ugin

Costs 4B but is colorless, non-Eye creatures you control can't attack, whenever it becomes blocked search your library for a colorless creature?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Now I'm crossing my fingers for a Bonesplitter reprint, because that means this can attack as a 5/3 on turn 3.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

really if i had to do some stupid speculation wedge panoramas seem like the easiest shoo-in ever

It makes sense that they'd reuse design space, but the comments on Satyr Wayfinder's design suggest that they wouldn't want an effect like that to play a big role in the limited format. Maybe we'll get Vivid cycle reprints?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Taking an extra turn isn't always a huge deal the way its made out to be.

But taking an extra turn is literally a Time Walk.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

That's like the least "mythic" Mythic I've seen.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

At the moment, the point is using it with morph, since face-down creatures are colorless.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

goferchan posted:

Also, the whole "the 'center' color of the wedge is not the actual 'central' color" thing is supposed to be something that makes more sense later on in the block-- makes me wonder even more about color-switching.

Between that and the fact that only the first set is a wedge set, the last set could be about monocolored versions of each clan based on their primary colors. (Going a little further out on a limb, maybe there'll also be a sixth, colorless clan inspired/led by Ugin, and morph will become its domain exclusively.)

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

They're mostly really splashy creatures with big crazy effects but cost/benefit-wise they don't feel all that pushed to me. I feel like Innistrad would have pushed out Ankle Shanker in monored.

Innistrad didn't really have color bleed like that going on. Maybe New Phyrexia.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Sickening posted:

I am more concerned of the Alex Cheatoncini's of the world trying to sneak in things without morph as morph.

Even if they "forget" to reveal all face down cards at the end of the game, they'd still get found out if the morph guy dies or changes zones.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

neetengie posted:

Pls no I want Sarkhan to keep being a mad planeswalker.

This is interesting, similar to Fire // Ice

This actually looks amazing for Limited. It kills Morphs, it makes it harder for your opponent to Raid (since it can kill one creature and tap down another), it triggers Prowess, and it's just a good trick in general.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Pictures of some of these cards are showing up on Mythicspoiler, so this is, at least, as legitimate as Mythicspoiler is.

High Sentinels of Arashin is incredible--a 3/4 flyer for 4 is already really solid, but then it enables all the "outlast slivers" without having to tap them, and while pumping itself up.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

It's really weird that it's monoblack, too. Like it's a smattering of abilities which black technically has access to, but first strike and haste are both way more red than black. At least Mardu still has access to it, which is good because it looks like a really good Raid enabler.

Niton posted:

Also probably means the leaks are from v4 somehow.

This is a plausible scenario, but then wouldn't the images look like either MTGO cards or mock-ups, instead of low-res images of real cards?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Bugsy posted:

Act of Treason C

This seems pretty great in the context of this set's Limited. You can get a Raid trigger without having to risk one of your own, you can steal their face-down guy so you can see what it is, if they have a 4-power guy and you don't you can still get your Ferocious abilities, and, of course, it triggers Prowess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Final land

Not important for constructed, but I think Sulati could've done with one more good self milling card.

This, Shatter, Ghostfire Blade and probably others are setting us up for a huge artifact theme in Fate Reforged.

• Locked thread