Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skillface
Oct 7, 2012

Myriad Truths posted:

Revealed on the Magic Europe twitter. Seems like a great tool for Golgari Dredge; fetches Nighthowlers and Whips at least and dumps even more cards to the bin.

This definitely has a place in my golgari dredge deck post-rotation. But yeah, I do think commune is more worth it, especially because whip and nighthowler are really mostly the only enchantments worth a drat in that deck right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
Very very good card. Good interaction with Cartel Aristocrat, too.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
What about something like: when a creature you control dies, target opponent creature gets -2/-2? I'm trying to think of "Afflictions", but lifegain could be a possibility too.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012

Zorak posted:

Deathtouch snakes are cool, though I wish it didn't have the "it's owner" clause eesh.

This is my problem. Because either you're hating your own graveyard and hindering your ability to play nemesis/power up jarad/etc., or you're giving them a snake. And both options hinder your nighthowlers. Only positive is the 3-cost 5/5 and devotion not being a problem because my golgari deck has a lot of double mana symbols. But otherwise, jeez.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
Happy with Nyx Weaver for my dredge deck, as it allows me to bring out doom blades/golgari charms/more dredge/whips if need be. Very cool!

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
My BTT draft just completely froze on me for 10 minutes. And I can't log into wizards to file a reimbursement yet. Everything is on fire?

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
Hey guys, quick rules question from a relative newbie.

If I have Young Pyromancer out and play Hour of Need, does the elemental reach the battlefield before I can choose targets for strive?

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012

Bugsy posted:

You have to choose targets before you cast it.

This is what I figured, thanks!

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012

Boxman posted:

The PT coverage gets even more embarrassing than I thought watching a wizard poker tournament on my living room TV could be when they start awkwardly trying to be coy about Conspiracy.

"We're going to go back to the desk to get some answers about something a lot of people have been asking about."
"I have no idea what that man is talking about. We're going to go to lunch, then...maybe we'll talk about that. I don't know."

I mean, it's either bad teasing for Conspiracy or it's just their coverage being poorly scripted.

There have been SEVERAL instances of "Okay we're going to take a quick break and will be back after these messages. *cuts to live look-in of another match* or I guess we're just gonna look at this other match!" so far this weekend.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
Just saw a BWUG planeswalkers deck on the SCG stream with:

3x Kiora
2x Ashiok
2x Jace, Architect of Thought
2x Vraska
1x Elspeth
2x Ajani Mentor of Heroes

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
Guy on the SCG stream just went to 240 life with the 2nd ajani ultimate of the game, ending the 1-game match in a draw.

CONTROL!

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
Ob is great for my Prossh deck, especially because one of the people I play with has a Karametra deck :getin:

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

So which non-white promo is best? Because that's as awful a limited card as a 4/4 flier can get.

Gotta be that black one. That's a sweet ability even without the flying body.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
I'm going white because I feel like it synergizes with the other colours best and it has a decent promo. That and I feel like there are so many ways to benefit from having tokens out in this set (convoke, sac outlets, etc).

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
I lost to a guy who beat me with ornithopter & ensoul artifact (and insisted it was the best strategy ever) after I flooded out in two straight games.

So salty.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
Did I not see an announcement at some point that said everyone would get 35 phantom points? Does anybody know when that's supposed to happen?

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
I have never once seen someone remember their Soldier of the Pantheon lifegain trigger on stream.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
The amount of fear in this thread pertaining to flipping over a card at the end of the game is astounding. Even if you don't remember, your opponent is probably going to want to see it and it'll be the first thing they ask when they lose the game.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
I play the BG Dredge standard deck, and it looks like I'm going to be splashing blue in Khans and making the transfer to a BUG delve-type deck.

That being said, this Khan seems pretty good for that style of deck. You can go full token mania with it and Pharika, too.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012

Entropic posted:

You guys are reading the "nontoken" clause on the card, right?

If you're playing rabblemaster in a deck you're almost guaranteed to be turning another beater sideways on the turn that it comes out anyway.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
See the Unwritten seems really good in the Dredge deck (or delve, I guess). Fills up the yard and Nemesis of Mortals is >4 power.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
Hey guys, I'm going to my first PTQ in Ottawa in a few weeks. It'll be the first competitive event I've ever been to, as I mostly play online.

Anything super important advice? It's a sealed event and sleeves, a deck box, and pad/pen is provided but I'm not sure of what else to bring.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Keep track of life totals with pen and paper and make sure that everything is super transparent. Check and double check that you and your opponent have the same numbers every time one of you takes damage or gains life.

Is the PTQ limited or constructed?

Limited, it's a sealed event.

I'm guessing that I need to bring dice, what about tokens?

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
Thanks for the advice everybody! I'll let y'all know how it goes. I'm mostly going for fun with a few friends but we'll see if any success comes of it.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
Looks to be the Anti-Hoser for BUG graveyard shenanigans. I like it a lot.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
Last week I played a game with my GB Dredge deck where I had a decent board state with a decent amount of creatures in the yard, but like 12 lands in there and nothing to do with them.

With delve and in the decks that need it, this card is quite good.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
You guys are really underestimating how many cards can be put into the yard early in the game through Commune, Kruphix's Insight, Satyr Wayfinder and Nyx Weavers.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Not to mention, Commune with the Gods will fetch Nighthowler.

Did you mean Kruphix's Insight here? Cause Commune fetches Nighthowler whether it's an enchantment or not

Nighthowler also triggers Strength from the Fallen and makes it super viable.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
The lich is pretty slow for what that deck wants to do (in my experience). It's also a delicate balance because he slowly kills your nighthowlers. But it seems like a sort of whip effect that would work in a more control-based and longer-game version of the BUG graveyard deck.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

It could've been beautiful then.

:colbert: Dredge strategies have had enough trouble while Scavenging Ooze was in standard

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
I've been play testing a bit with BUG additions to my BG dredge deck. Sultai Ascendancy is real good, less is more with delve, and selectively delving around creatures is surprisingly viable as long as you aren't going hog wild with the exiles.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012

Terrible Horse posted:

I thought about this briefly and came to the conclusion that BG is stronger without the U.

I'd argue that with Polluted Delta now it actually helps the deck. Not to mention ascendancy (and maybe new jace) are huge

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012

Gumdrop Larry posted:

The problem with Sultai is I'm having a hard time seeing the finishers. Sidisi is great, the Ascendancy and the Charm are both great, and there's plenty of stuff to feed it like Wayfinder, Commune with the Gods, Nyx Weaver, the new Jace (who seems to have been made specifically for Sultai). Additionally you've got Whip of Erebos, Nighthowler, the black removal suite, Thoughtseize, etc. With what feels like a comfortable self-milling, zombie-making engine with all of that stuff though the deck is basically full. Without a real haymaker like Jarad or really high value pesky poo poo like Desecration Demon or Pack Rat it feels like the legs of the deck are too easily kicked out from under it in addition to not really having a whole lot to do with that engine once it's gotten rolling. Empty the Pits looks neat, but still feels really questionable.

I really like the idea of a Sultai graveyard deck, but it doesn't seem to coalesce just right. I'm curious to see what ideas people come up with to try it.

Cheap monstrous nemeses of mortals do wonders. Also, the one-of Empty the Pits I have in playtest has been good for longer games.

Bestowing nighthowler onto fliers is really good too. Maybe necropolis fiend?

The problem is that the win con is usually big dumb stuff that is wiped out with removal. The advantage comes from having the graveyard engine and pumping out big stuff faster than they can deal with it.

Skillface fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 11, 2014

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
Are we not getting the full spoiler today? Isn't that how these things usually work?

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012

awesomebrah posted:

We are but it doesn't go up until 8:00 am Pacific.

Right, thanks!

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012

Myriad Truths posted:

Yeah, I think Scout the Borders is the ideal delve enabler I was looking for. It would be better if it cost 2 like Commune with the Gods, but it's still good enough to allow playing some of the crazy expensive delve cards.

It's sad that it was 2 and an instant, but I'll play it

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
Thanks for the advice last week about going to my first PTQ.

Came in 20th with a 6-2 record which is pretty decent for my first ever competitive event (there were over 200 people there). I may do an effortpost on it later as my deck ended up being pretty nutty and put a lot of people on tilt.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
Okay, time for an Ottawa PTQ effortpost.

This was the first competitive event I've ever been to. I've only been playing magic since the start of Theros block but have been sucked in pretty hard over the last year. I usually only play standard with friends over beers, but started to dabble in Magic Online limited a few months ago, so I was happy when I saw that the PTQ was going to be a sealed event. It was $30 and sleeves/box were provided, so I figured I was getting my money's worth even if I dropped and didn't win anything. Then I opened my pool. Here's my deck:

10x Swamp
7x Mountain

Creatures
1x Forge Devil
2x Child of Night
2x Generator Servant
1x Borderland Marauder
1x Torch Fiend
1x Krenko's Enforcer
2x Witch's Familiar
1x Paragon of Open Graves
1x Gravedigger
1x Nightfire Giant
1x Indulgent Tormentor

Non-Creatures
1x Ulcerate
1x Crowd's Favor
1x Crippling Blight
1x Lightning Strike
1x Stab Wound
1x Chandra, Pyromaster
2x Flesh to Dust
1x Caustic Tar

My pool also included Soul of Zendikar, Seraph of the Masses, Phyrexian Revoker and Master of Predicaments. The Chandra, Tormentor and Nightfire Giant were very convincing for me to go red/black, and everything else seemed to fit well enough. I don't remember the specifics of each game, so I'll just talk generally about how I did/cool stuff that only I will care about :

- My final record was 6-2, and I was ranked 20th. 4 of the matches won were quick, convincing 2-0s. The 2 losses were 1-2s helped by mulligans to 5 after drawing 2 hands with no lands. The other 2-1 wins almost went to time.

- I was able to get Tormentor out on turn 3 with Generator Servant two times over the course of the tournament, and Nightfire Giant out once. All resulted in wins.

- In three separate games (two in round 5 and one in round 8) I put a Hornet Nest out of commission the turn after it was played with either Stab Wound or Crippling Blight.

- Chandra is ridiculous. She either made blocks terrible or killed a creature with the +1 every time I used it, and in long games her 0 proved very very useful. I never used her ultimate, though I got her to 8 loyalty in one game.

- One of my 2-1 wins came in a match where the guy played Spirit Bonds on turn 2 of every game. Chandra is good against Spirit Bonds.

- I often sideboarded out the 2nd Witch's familiar, Flesh to Dust or Caustic Tar for a Rotfeaster Maggot or a Phyrexian Revoker.

- I won one game by drawing a 7th land, playing caustic tar and activating it for lethal.

- Phyrexian Revoker put an Ajani Steadfast, a Soul of New Phyrexia and an Avacyn out of commission over the course of the day.

- I killed Soul of New Phyrexia and at least 3 convoke golems with Torch Fiend

- I gravedigger'd lots of generator servants. COMBO!

- I won one game with an 8 mana Oppressive Rays Nightfire Giant shock for lethal

Both of my friends that I went with went 0-2, played a side event then dropped, and I was coming into the day expecting to do the same, and was pretty proud of how far I got. Overall it was a very fun (if not tiresome) experience, and I hope to do it again sooner than later.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
Pulled two fetches and Sorin at the prerelease, so wasn't really committed to trying to win a ton of games (he was my only bomb). Had a good time anyway, this set looks real fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
I bought a fat pack because I wanted the lands and the boxes to use for storage. Significant cracks: Sarkhan, Polluted Delta, Utter End, Siege Rhino, See the Unwritten.

Kind of crazy/awesome that I've opened 14 packs (9 + 6 from the prerelease) and have Sarkhan, Sorin, a Mire, Delta, & Foothills :psyduck:

• Locked thread