Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Dungrove Elder.

Come at me, hexproof haters. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
C'mon Wizards, let's see a reprint of Overwhelming Forces. :getin:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zorak posted:

Zeus got his position not by being the oldest, or even the most powerful, but by being the most wily. Hades is actually stated to be the most powerful of the Olympians, which is why him getting tricked into getting the "worst" dominion is funny.

I always thought Zeus got his position by being the one to not get eaten by his daddy.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Could Magister of Worth be a one-of in Reanimator? It saves you in situations where you're dead on board otherwise, but I struggle to think of a situation it would be better than Blazing Archon or Griselbrand.

If your opponent is merfolk and they've got a couple of lords on board you might want that angel (since Elesh Norn won't cut it at that point).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ScarletBrother posted:

It makes you lazy and creates a bad habit if you ever plan on playing at higher RELs. Why not just create good habits that won't punish you later?

Because with Murdergoats, later won't be an issue.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kraus posted:

Yo judges, let me ask you a hypothetical question.

A card has the following text:

X cannot be countered.

If X would enter the battlefield and (insert some other condition here), instead X doesn't.

Assuming that the card were being cast and the second condition were met, would the game end at that point, since there's no way to clear the stack?

Edit: Clarified question.

Are you saying something tries to counter the uncounterable spell? If that happens it'd just resolve as normal.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

RME posted:

Heart of the Cards 0
Instant

Heart of the Cards cannot be countered.

Search your library for a card, then shuffle your library and put that card on top of it. Then, draw a card.

You may play Heart of the Cards from your library, graveyard, or exile as long as you have a magic puzzle.

People tend to gloss over that for some reason. :v:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Entropic posted:

RTR shocks are already down to like 6-8 bucks apiece, right? How much lower can they go?

DOWN DOwn down... :negative:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

All you people expecting fetches in standard are just wishful thinking. I'll :toxx: anyone who cares to that the Zendikar fetches will not appear in a M15 or the next block of expert level expansions. They may appear in ancillary product but I am sure they will not end up in standard.

That :10bux: could've bought you 1/10th of a fetch.

Edit: what the hell I'm in. :toxx: for a Fetchland reprint in standard within the next 3-4 blocks.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 6, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I notice no one took me up on my bet :colbert:

See above. :colbert:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

qbert posted:

Kibler on stream right now. His fidgeting is so hypnotic...

Does hypnotic mean "makes me want to punch Brian Kibler"?

Because if yes, then it's very hypnotic.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
What I've gotten out of this discussion is between the subject matter and the parties talking about it, it's assholes all the way down.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Korak posted:

So what happened with Fanatic of Xenagos? Nearly everyone was thinking it was a good aggressive creature for RG/x Monsters to keep the pressure on and it seems to have been quickly replaced with Courser.

Turns out a 3/3 that dies to Bile Blight and Lightning Strike doesn't work out as well as a 2/4 that helps smooth out your non-land draws.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Modern is a very fresh format. I have no doubt that it will develop it's own personality and unique powerful interactions as the pool deepens.

In Legacy, you are punished for greedy landbases with Wasteland. In Modern, you are punished for greedy manabases by lightning bolts and blood moons. You're still punished, just in a different manner.

Yeah I'm not really seeing how the Pod player is particularly sad about taking bolts to the face when they just drop a Kitchen Finks and turn it into a glorified ping.

Or how UWR control is being punished when they just helix a creature and gain it all back.

Blood Moon is one (very good) thing but Lightning Bolt doesn't remotely compare to Wasteland as a form of mana base punishment.

And seconding modern being boring in comparison to Legacy. The card pool of modern might grow but it will grow slowly, and a lot of those cards will wind up in Legacy too anyways.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

I'm looking forward to all those incredible Azorius cards rotating out not because I don't like Esper or control decks in general, but because I'd really like to see the main control deck not be base blue-white for a while. How about blue-black, or Grixis?

As long as Blue is the best colour at answering cards before they come into play, and White the best at answering cards after, this will not happen.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Brimaz, Courser, Ephara, and Spirit of the Labyrinth are all top-tier cards. All four are going to see Modern/Legacy play.

:confused: In what deck would Ephara be played? She's certainly too slow for Legacy, and there isn't really a blue white deck in modern she slots into nicely.

Brimaz and Courser are more likely to see maindeck play, but Brimaz will generally be a tier 2 card at best and Courser's best use right now is in BG Rock/Jund, both of which lost a lot of steam.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Sloppy move on Reid Duke's part, letting his life total get low enough that he could get Obzedaddy'd out of the game like that. Was he thinking about Grey Merchant maybe?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Boco_T posted:

Skred Red is Dissolution's new project to go with the Enchantment Control. It definitely has weaknesses, and against your deck it seems like "not getting one of 4 Clasm 4 Anger post-board" is probably what done him in, but in general I think it's quite weak against aggro. Folds to burn immediately.

Couldn't it just run 4 Dragons Claw sideboard (I am dead serious) and shore up the poo poo out of that matchup?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I was actually wondering about sideboarding Vengeful Pharoah vs. Zoo for that exact reason. Gifts package for Loam and Pharoah, kill one attacker, then next turn dredge Loam back for one hell of a rattlesnake.

Edit: loving this Esper Stoneblade player vs Satan, Prince of Darkness finals

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 30, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Entropic posted:

Isn't Alara one big plane now? I'm not up on my Lore, what was Nicky da B's endgame there?

Eating the plane's mana like delicious, magical candy when it all converged in the conflux.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 31, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

End of Life Guy posted:

The guy running 4-color Delver had a decktech in which he said that Mizzium Skin "blanks Golgari Charm for 2 mana". I don't see how that's the case. Giving all your creatures hexproof won't make a difference with Golgari charm, as only one of its modes says "target", and that's for an enchantment.

Any idea what he was talking about?

Mizzium Skin gives +0/+1.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bugsy posted:

Why does it have two static abilities when the BNG 2 color gods only have 1?

I imagine this will be the theme of the Nyx gods since they're all enemy colours, having two abilities that are different parts of the god's respective colours as opposed to the single ability that was the sum of both for the last ones.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

BRB, clearing a hole my Sisay EDH deck for this. Too bad I probably won't be able to get it for under $20 until RTR block rotates.

Also I just noticed that his first two abilities both add loyalty :lol:

I think it'll drop quickly, so I wouldn't worry too much.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
holy poo poo no he doesn't

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gimme a break, I'm checking the thread in-between deaths in TF2.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The Sage seems snapped in half in a Mimeoplasm deck. Just imagine casting Mimeoplasm after binning it and a Lord of Extinction a few turns into a decently sized EDH game. :getin:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Spite of Mogis seems pretty good in UWR control in Modern; I don't know if it would see a spot when Flame Slash already doesn't, though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Not being a poo poo, I am legitimately ignorant and curious: What decks run City of Brass in a format that also runs Port?

Dredge.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zoness posted:

I wasn't aware that the Eldrazi were made of metal.

Someday I hope they make an Eldrazi planeswalker.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Toshimo posted:

What did Nissa do this time?

Get Eldrazi brainjacked.

Nissa, Eldrazi gently caress-Up
(8)

Eldrazi Planeswalker - Nissa
+2: Search your library for a non-legendary Eldrazi creature and put it onto the battlefield. Shuffle your library.
-4: Target player sacrifices all colored permanents.
-8: You may cast any number of Eldrazi from your hand, deck, graveyard, and from outside of the game without paying their mana costs. Shuffle your library afterwards.

Starting Loyalty: 1

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

I think you guys are all overrating a punisher card.

Athreos is tutorable by Pod or Chord, both modes of the ability are really relevant in modern.

As a 1 of in Pod I think it will get modern play.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm really hype about the Conspiracy walker, since it not being in Modern or Standard means it's theoretically a chance for them to push the hell out of the card and have another Legacy playable walker.

Or it'll be gimmicky crap. v:downs:v

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Korak posted:

Poisons your opponent ala Curse of Death's Hold is my terrible guess.

Creatures you control get +1/+1.

Creatures your opponents control get -1/-1.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I will be forever convinced that WoTC has a sense of humor about itself if they give Duck Fayden a card in the Huey Duey and Louie block.

A planeswalker card in Conspiracy good enough for you?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zorak posted:

Well I meant more it'd be cool if you could exile a card in an opponents graveyard and YOU get a snake. But that would probably be overpowered.

She costs 1 more than the Ooze, has an extra black mana in the activation cost, doesn't gain you life or give you a body when you cast her, and can't hit anything but creatures.

I don't think it would have been too overpowered to do that.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zorak posted:

A 1/1 Deathtouch creature is much better than a +1/+1 counter and lifegain.

A base 2/2 body is much more useful than an indestructible enchantment you will realistically never turn into anything more in the average game.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

UR could be silly because you make a shitton of Master of Waves and then they vomit out tokens before dying :getin:

The same Master of Waves with protection from Red?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zorak posted:

Wait, does Battlefield Thaumaturge make Curse of Swine into UU: EVERYTHING IS PIG?

:allears:

I prefer Pig Wind.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Refresh me on the devotion god rules- can I essence scatter a god card if they don't have enough devotion for it to be active when they cast it? Are god cards creatures as they are in the library, as in can they be searched for with things like birthing pod?

Gods are absolutely pod-able if you want to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I wish the sheep had "Tap: target creature with power 3 or less can't be blocked this turn." Alas, there is some flavor too obscure and stupid even for R&D :(.

Would that be an Odyssey flavour reference?

• Locked thread