Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Probably Crypt Rat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

What's the "lands in front" hate? I learned to play that way back in Ice Age.. was it never supposed to be done that way, or did things change? Is it just like the people that lose their poo poo when you have a stack of tapped lands that's more than one kind?

Putting your cards upside-down just makes you a douche though.

He was putting his cards in complete opposite order so the enemy could read them :v:

I hate people who have lands in front honestly, it just takes slightly longer for me to tell the board positions.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Man I really want to go to GP Richmond but I don't even have a modern deck.

I will live vicariously through you all, please have a goon-only top 8.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Lunsku posted:

And Magic just seems to keep on growing.

Worth noting in the end of the presentation that Magic the Gathering is listed as something Hasbro is investing in, in the near future. Dunno if the webcast had more details.

It would be great if this investment would happen online for once.

MTGO is awful.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Malgrin posted:

Is anyone else on MTGO, and did it just poo poo a brick or something:

Turn 3, my opponent plays Brimaz. Having played against Brimaz in one other match, my face went slightly paler.
I get my nice little 2/2 out there with the hopes of pumping him, probably getting 2 for 1'd in the process, but it's my only hope of stopping him. I disconnect. For about 6 minutes. I finally get back in to find my opponent disconnected right after me. And then he loses.

I'm unable to log in and i had just got into a sealed game.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

jassi007 posted:

ITS A BAD DECK WITH A BAD NAME. He couldn't call it something logical like mono-U delver or Delver Tempo or mono-u tempo. I mean honestly, how key is phantasmal bear to the loving deck anyway? It isn't. Judge's familiar is a way better 1 drop for that deck, and even if you made that change, it is still a lovely deck.

Did big bad Travis Woo touch you in your no-no place? Every time a single thing from him gets mentioned, even if you aren't part of that conversation you fly off into a frothing rage about him.

EDIT:I think I recognize your name for that, but it may have been someone else whose name i mistook for yours

EDIT: Wow, those monochrome gods look amazing. Why can't we just have them be legal to play :(.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 21, 2014

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

VVV EDIT: He's kind of an idiot and it's funny. Did you miss the time he tried to say "Spain is cool" and instead said "Spaniards are lazy"? VVV

He didn't really say they were lazy though, it just depends on if you look at the article with a "typical magic player" view or the view that he's an idiot in the first place.

Magic players as a whole aren't known for being great at social interaction and I think that includes an article written by one.

He could have worded it a lot better though.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Lord Of Texas posted:

I don't hold any rage for the guy, but he is the furthest thing from "chill". Unless "chill" is a synonym for "insecure, passive-aggressive, and takes himself way too seriously". A few weeks ago he opened one of his articles with a spiel about "Magic sucks in every way but I still play it because I like deckbuilding I guess". During his videos he seems to not be able to stop himself from commenting on how much he doesn't care about that misplay he just made. His constant drawl like he's always high is really hard to listen to as well.

I quit watching his stuff a long time ago but I'll still watch it if I'm in the mood for a CFB video but there's nothing else up. He was fine before he got "big" and people seem to have gotten to him.

A lot of people say Magic is awful and still play it.

Hasn't Kibler said something along those lines before anyways?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Zoness posted:

Hey WotC, how do you mess up that badly on your scoreboard formatting?

(Or is this some convention that I don't understand?)

:allears:

It's probably some kind of string field population mistake with first name last name order, but it's still amusing.

It's a bug in their system since it supposedly pulls its information straight from the online tournament report. It was usually used for showing the matchups for a specific round or something I thought, instead of all from one person.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeahh my gamestore blows. 5 dollar entry to FNMS and only 1 pack per player in prizes, no store credit options, if you try to sell off your packs he gets upset. Drafts are $15 and yet again 1 prize per entrant.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

End of Life Guy posted:

I just won my first newbie draft on mtgo. I'm assuming the smart thing to do is sell my winnings to a bot to fund future drafts as opposed to cracking the pack(s), right?

Yeah.

I'd recommend checking between the HOGWARTS line of bots and GOATBOTS for booster prices.

If you're selling individual cards, always always check Hotlistbot first off.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Kruphix doesn't bank mana for more than one turn, right? First it turns colored into colorless, so it's safe for that turn, but the colorless mana goes away the next time you'd empty mana.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Did someone post the guy eating his Marsh Flats yet? He said if a specific card wasn't in the next set he would eat a Misty, but he already sold it and reddit allowed him to eat a Marsh Flats instead.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Picked black because the store was out of white. Our store has poo poo for prize support, there were around 20ish people there and prize support was 20 packs. I think normal prize support is supposed to be 2 packs per player? I feel like some kind of ghost, showing up to top 8 each prerelease then disappearing until the next one.

Either way, I had what I believe is a pretty bad deck but I piloted it to 3-1 and then won 2 rounds to split the finals for 7 packs each plus a play mat and a small card portfolio.

GB Constellation

Creatures (13)
1x Golden Hind (Llanowar Elk)
1x Satyr Hedonist
1x Felhide Brawler (The carrier of the Lyre)
1x Setessan Oathsworn (Never cast it)
2x Oakheart Dryads
1x Grim Guardian
1x Ravenous Leucrocota
1x Reaper of the Wilds (Cast it twice on turn 3 and it won both games for me)
1x Doomwake Giant
1x Dreadbringer Lampads
1x Thoughtrender Lamia
1x Marshmist Titan (Never cast it)

Other Stuff (10)

1x Cruel Feeding (Turned so many races)
1x Siren Song Lyre (MVP of the deck)
1x Ordeal of Erebos (I made someone discard 4 cards with this in one game before)
1x Feast of Dreams
1x Cast into Darkness
1x Nyx Infusion (Really useful removal)
1x Colossal Heroics (Great for lethal or superblocking people)
1x Reviving Melody (Absolute backbreaker if I return 2 things)
1x Read the Bones
1x Extinguish All Hope (Cast it twice, it won both games for me)

Round 1 - Against someone playing RW but they weren't that good of a player. I lost game 1 from mana screw but games 2 and 3 he overextended into extinguish even when I was dead on board without the extra creatures, and it got him beaten.
Round 2 - Against one of my friends. He played an Ajani and giant hydras in both games and I lost quickly.
Round 3 - Basically round 1 again, lost game 1 and won 2 and 3.
Round 4 - Crushed someones dreams by playing turn 3 Reaper of the Wilds in game 1, in Game 2 I got an early ordeal and returned it right afterwards to get rid of the remainder of his hand.

Top 8
8 - Against same person as round 3, didn't get mana screwed and won both games quickly.
4 - Up against someone who hadn't lost a game at all, he won game 1 when I drew all swamps and all green spells. Game 2 he lost because he got greedy and attacked with all not expecting a strived +2/+2 to finish him off the next turn. Game 3 the same thing happened, except I strived the lifelink to make the race unwinnable for him and finished the last 2 life off with my Guardian.
2 - Split.

Rollie the Guar posted:

Went 4-1 with a really mediocre GB deck for a top 8 split, I had some good heroic guys, but no good enablers, I didn't have a single green monstrous guy, didn't open a single playable rare outside of the GB temple and the promo Heroes' Bane. A single Golden Hind and two Renowned Weaver were probably the MVPs. Maindeck Consign to Dust lead to some big blowouts. Between my pool and my prize packs I opened 3 Temples, a Nykthos and a Mana Confluence, so I suppose I made out pretty well.

There were some silly pools going around, someone opened two Iroas and every good card you could ask for in W and R, and someone had two Heroes' Bane and a Polukranos.

Screw you, my prize packs had nothing in them. The most expensive card I opened is Deicide, I think.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Apr 27, 2014

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Jabor posted:

You should totally report that to WotC. Prerelease organizers get given two boosters per player to use as prize support, the store is literally ripping off both Wizards and their players if they're just pocketing half of that.

Are they required to give out that many packs? I know the total packs given out was 20 for 20~ players.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Jabor posted:

20 packs of prize support for 20 players is still half of what it's supposed to be, even if first and second get 14 of those packs between them.

^ Yes, they are literally required to give out at least two packs per player in prize support. Wizards sends them free booster boxes exactly for this purpose. If they're just pocketing half of that they're essentially stealing, and you should report them.

This guy is the only shop for 40+ miles so everyone bitches about the prize support but nothing has been done about it... just sent an email to WOTC, thanks.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

quote:

Response Via Email (Support Agent) 04/27/2014 03:27 PM
Hi,

We recommend that stores provide 2 boosters per player, although this is up to the store's discretion. If you want to provide additional feedback regarding this store, please do so here: http://www.wizards.com/magic/planeswalkerpoints.

Thanks!

We would appreciate your feedback on the service we are providing you. Please click here to fill out a short questionnaire.

To login to your account or update your question, please click here.

Dan Tebow
Retail Support Representative
Wizards of the Coast
1-800-564-1636 (US and Canada)
Monday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST / 11am-8pm EST

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Zoness posted:

If anyone is watching the SCG open, Greg Hatch is doing some great things with Merfolk.

1. Playing Standstill
2. Tidal Warrior, turning fetches/duals into islands, turning his own cavern of souls into an island to daze to rest it to name illusion instead of merfolk to...
3. Play phantasmal image to copy an animated mishra's factory.

Hatch is like my favorite Magic player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

What chat? As far as I know SCG has chat permanently disabled.

• Locked thread