Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Speaking of stupid gimmick decks, I used to play bant allies when I started playing (it was around the middle of Scars block, but since Zendikar was just so much more interesting, I mostly just got cards from that block instead), and yesterday I saw this video and decided I am going to now build me 5 color Allies in commander!

However, unlike McDarby, I plan on using Horde of Notions as a commander, since it, plus this thing:

Means I can cast all of my dead allies from my graveyard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

I finally did it! I got kicked out of Commander. I went to casual Magic today determined to get people to stop bugging me to play Commander when I don't want to. I was definitely successful.

So for those of you who get stuck playing when you don't want to (I know there's a few of you,) here's how you get out of it:

Unless you follow that sentence with "You politely tell the people that you don't want to play Commander right now.", then you're an rear end in a top hat and should be ashamed of yourself.

Oh hey, look at that!

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Let's get something straight - you have to play Commander. As in, it's part of your job to do so. From what I see from suicidesteve's post, this doesn't seem to be the case with him.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Hmmmm, an rear end in a top hat-ish response to assholes rarely leads to anything good, either for you or anyone else. Either just keep refusing, or find a group that have at least some basic understanding of social interactions, and know that if someone says they don't feel like doing something, you shouldn't force them to.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Promoted Pawn posted:

That this is in a thread about a trading card game is loving hilarious.

That you seem to think that every single person who plays Magic in the world, even at FNM level, has a smart phone with a camera is equally loving hilarious. For example, I haven't had a phone with a camera on it until last year. I simply never needed one.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Madmarker posted:

Further its an eternal format, so its likely that people will buy into it over time.

This is just a minor nitpick, but Modern is not an eternal format. So far the only eternal formats are Vintage and Legacy. Modern is a non-rotation format, but it's not eternal. (Eternal means that card legality includes Magic card ever printed with the standard card back and a non-silver border.)

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Entropic posted:

"Eternal" really sounds like it should mean "non-rotating".

See, that sounds pretty logical, but as we all know - Magic's relationship with logic is very spotty at times.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Speaking of favorite land art, I am pretty sure that the Coldsnap Snow Covered Mountain is my favorite mountain art in all of Magic. And there's some amazing stuff out there, I know, but this just looks [i]so good[i].

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

All magic cards need to be Russian because it looks so great. Its really too bad that its really hard to find Russian cards compared to like Japanese.

I love Russian cards, though not for the same reason most people seem to. I don't particularly think they look better than English ones, but since I'm from a Slavic country and I've studied Russian in high school, the Russian cars just have an extra humorous quality to them, in seeing how the Russians translated something. I mean, yeah - Duress is a fine card. Насилие though? That just makes me giggle.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Okay, since there's no goddamn way I'm wading through this or several other threads to find it, could anyone link me to a recent build of MURDERGOATS or whatever the official name is these days?

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Ah, thank you very much!

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

So, heh, do those technically count as dual lands? (yes yes, I know I'm probably the first person to come up with that joke.)

Those are all pretty sweet though!

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Livingtrope posted:

I'm a terrible causal player but I think Miracles looks fun, the end result is smashing them with a bunch of angels and who doesn't love that.

Actually, thinking about it, I have yet to see anyone win with that deck with angels, it's always Vendillion Clique or Snapcaster beat-down, which is actually an even more hilarious way to win.

The most hilarious way I've ever won (three times so far) is playing modern Storm and winning by Goblin Electromancer beat down. It just never gets old.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

So wait, I keep hearing some stuff about Khans and such - is this confirmed to be a future set?

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Ah, Game Day. I managed to scrape together a MURDERGOATS list, except with none of the good removal in it (so I'm playing Lightning Strike and Magma Jet instead of Dreadbore and Hero's Downfall), and I can't wait to get to the store and see how well this will do. Some testing in the last few days shows it to be consistent enough.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

So, Gameday. We had a rather small turn out than usual, only 11 people. (Not that we usually get more, but we tend to at least brake 20...). As such, 4 rounds of play, and no top 4 since nobody could be bothered.

Round 1 vs Mono Green Devotion: 0-2. First game I never find any removal, get hit by 15/15 Tusker and that was that. Game 2, I misplay by Slaughter Games-ing his Nylea instead of casting Anger of the Gods to wipe his board, he proceeds to drop two pretty massive Reverant Hunters and I never draw a black removal.
Round 2 vs Esper Control: 1-2. Game one he has no answer to Purphoros, due to a lack of blue mana. I proceed to goat him to death. Game 2 he casts Soul Ransome on my Tymaret, counters everything else I play and proceeds to beat me to death with him (for the most part). I never get more than 4 lands the entire game. Game 3, in comparison, I have something like 10+ mana in play, draw 3 tymarets and proceed to chump block his Gray Merchant until I draw a Dark Betrayal for it, he casts a Judge's Familiar and proceeds to very, very slowly kill me with it.
Round 3 vs Mono black Devotion: 2-0. She has no way to answer a resolver Purphoros. First game is death by goats, second game is death by soldiers.
Round 4 - I get a buy and end up 9th.

MURDERGOATS was really fun to play with, even if my lack of good removal hurt me a lot (I had, all in all, 1 hero's downfall, 1 mizzium mortars, 2 anger and 2 drown in sorrow, and the rest I had to make due with lighting strikes, ultimate prices, dark betrayals and magma jets. And it showed)

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Since we're bitching about pronunciations now:

Every single time I hear Liliana pronounced as "Lilly Ana" it makes me want to punch the commentator in the face.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Condensing that mess of run on sentences:

Wizards are bad at Greek.

This is sort of OK because they're not quite writing Greek. On account of them somewhat understanding that they're bad at it.

They should still be clearer about them not quite writing Greek, because they are really bad at it and not owning up encourages people to try to apply rules which they don't want applying.

If you'd like to pronounce the 'Nyk' of Nykthos roughly Ancient Greekly, the y is a bit further back in the throat than you'd naturally pronounce 'Nyk' in English. (Explaining the 'thos' part would make this post long and confusing again so I won't.)

The Wizards pronunciation for Polukranos is the one that upsets BaronVonVaderham.

I'll be clear here - I love reading your posts, and I'd like to read more of them!
As for Magic pronunciation - Since my first language is Bulgarian, which is phonetic and rather hard I find that more often than not, if you pronounce an obscure or made up Magic card name as if in Bulgarian you tend to get it right more often than not,

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Am I really the only one who figured out that was just a badly made joke on his part?

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

legoman727 posted:

Jace is a smug dick, but ya' know, I like Lavinia. She seems like the Jack McCoy of Ravnica.

I like her, since she doesn't seem to feel the need to worship Jace as some absolute pinnacle of awesomeness, and treats him for what he is - a nerd who somehow managed to stumble into power. To be honest, the way she treats him makes me hate Jace himself a lot less.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

Dark Depths shot up because the way it worked was fundamentally changed last summer from "casual jank" to "2 card kill condition"

You mean it changed from 2 card kill condition to "a better 2 card kill condition". Sure, vampire hexmage is not as impressive as just needing another land, but it's still a viable combo piece with Dark Depths.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

jassi007 posted:

Steve Argyle art? Needs bigger tits.

Well, at least he has retained that "everything is made out of plastic" look.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Cactrot posted:

I thought it was Sarkhan Vol's home plane, but there's no reason it can't be both.

Mongols who killed all of the dragons, because they could? I'd buy that set!

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Notes From A Magic e-book

Please continue to do these, this is a great way to get familiar with the lovely Magic books without having to read lovely Magic books!

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Korak posted:

Return of Big Red? :v:

I will sacrifice two chickens to whichever Theros god you wish, if this could become a real deck, because I love Big Red decks!

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Nope, I'm watching SCG because there's Food Chain vs High Tide on right now.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

So I recall someone posted a really gimmicky RUG burn deck for standard here. The deck's "thing" was that you used Riddle of Lightning/Blast of Genius + Enter the Infinite for huge amounts of damage. Sadly I forgot to copy the list then, and now I can't find it, so does anyone mind posting it again?

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Thanks for the links.

Hmm well this is a short post, soo how about them timewalks? :v:

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Gods, yes!

Bring this trainwreck home.

Yes, this please! Sleep of Bronze's summary of the first book almost made it sound interesting!

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

They did the same nonsense with Heroes vs Monsters. I am starting to suspect they are not bothering with having strong themes in their dual decks and are just doing "A magic deck vs another magic deck, I guess." with this Speeds vs Cunning.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

More new art:

Wow that's a pretty sweet picture that looks absolutely nothing like Baghdad. At all.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Kasonic posted:

I've heard the format mentioned in a few posts here....can anyone describe what pauper Commander might play like? I just finished work on a peasant and another pauper cube, and I could totally see an interesting uncommon format, but common Commander just sounds a bit plain and slow. How interesting of a deck can you make?

Well I guess it depends on how you want to play it? Our playgroup has decided on these rules:

1. Your commander must be an uncommon creature.
2. Your deck is 60 cards (not counting the commander), singleton, all commons.
3. Starting life totals are 30, commander damage is 16.
4. Invisible Stalker is banned, because gently caress you.

In general 3 or 4 person games run quite fast. I have a Bellowing Tanglewurm and a Noxious Ghoul deck, and another guy plays a Fluxcharger deck with nothing but fliers and spells, and that thing stomps face pretty hard too.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

jassi007 posted:

They don't have the new frame. Could that mean they're either a very soon and upcoming promo or in conspiracy?

What I find more interesting is the fact that the art seems almost like a tribute to the old Unglued full-art lands.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Oh this will be fun to watch, regardless of quality!

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

So wait, there's new Sarkhan Vol art?

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Mob posted:

I was hoping the thing players have been asking for that is coming in Khans was enemy-color manlands but then I remembered nobody pines for those except me.

I've been waiting for enemy colored fastlands, to be honest. But manlands would be cool too.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

change my name posted:

Is there like some kind of thing in the books that makes a minotaur-summoning didgeridoo make sense or...?

Digeridoos are awesome. Minotaurs are awesome. Minotaurs like digeridoos.

(No I have no idea why that card does that thing.)

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

"If a creature dealt damage by Ghenghis Khan this turn would die, you may regenerate it and take control of it instead."

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

forbidden lesbian posted:

I guess I'm more bothered by how on the nose it is. I guess it's a flavor win, at least.

Googling there name I see a fur-affinity page so, uh, yeah i guess we have a winner. Looking at her art tho, by which I mean 2 cards, I'm not really too tore up, she wasn't really that good an artist.

These look more like 44 cards, but sure.

Edit: I can't get the fuckin' Gatherer link to work, because surprise surprise - Wizards suck at Internets.

Jenx fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Are we still sharing Conspiracy drafts? Drafter W/U flying stuff - No favorable winds, I'm afraid but I got an Edric which I splashed and I got 4 Courier Hawks + 3 conspiracies, giving them +1/+1 counters, haste and the ability to tutor even more. Did pretty good, though getting color screwed out of blue for most of the first game was really what got me.

• Locked thread