Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

uggy posted:

I do actually wonder what everybody's fav/pet card is.

wild mongrel

Mine has been Decree of Annihilation from Scourge. I was playing Yu-Gi-Oh as a kid and was stoked as hell when I read the text, which pretty much said REMOVE EVERYTHING FROM THE GAME, and I loved that poo poo! That cemented Red as one of my favorite colors, but Black was Top Color for me because of the removal and discard spells in Scourge, it was so awesome! :allears:

GB became my favorite first color combo though, it's above RB, which is weird, because I don't remember what made me like it a lot. It's something from 8th Edition, Mirrodin or Champions of Kamigawa, I honestly don't remember.

EDIT: I remember what else made me love Black overall, it was the removal spells in CoH and 8th Edition.

EDIT2: Also Black's fuckery with the graveyard made me love it a lot.

neetengie fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

Has Brimaz always been $30, or has something already made him spike? Esper list sound cool though.

Wizards Super Sunday Series coverage, various list in there, and Brimaz has been shining.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

AgentSythe posted:

Yikes, I better get on it.

So, Andrew Shrout is on-camera playing Death and Taxes, as usual. What is unusual is that he is playing W/b with Scrublands for Zealous Persecution. I know TNN is a beating but... that seems wrong, right? Whenever I see that deck play there is always a game or two where it just can't draw colored mana and opening yourself up to Wasteland seems super bad.

Wouldn't Runed Halo be another option for White decks that can't defend well against TNN?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Niton posted:

Stupid rules question: What happens if, theoretically, my opponent's name is -also- the name of a card? Like if my opponent legally changed his name to Gaddock Teeg, would I be able to gain protection from him that way?

(Also sort of wondering if this has ever come up on MODO)

Nah, because naming a card isn't the same as naming an opponent.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Mexican Sandwich posted:

What's the best setup for streaming Magic on the PC? I'd like to do a stream of playing some weird decks on Cockatrice.

Use OBS, you're golden. Hitbox.tv if you like interacting with the chat, due to the delay in Twitch.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

If Decree of Annihilation is in it, I'm buying. Too bad it will be errata'd. :(

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Rukawa posted:

Maybe something like Smokestack, Vindicate, Abrupt Decay, Pernicious Deed, etc

But dudebro you're ruining the secondary market! :reject: (I'd actually be stoked as hell if they were in though)

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

planedriver posted:

I'll be visiting New York and Montreal for the first time next month and was wondering where should I go to play? I've dismantled all of my standard decks and in the process of building splinter twin and affinity (hopefully get it finished there) so more modern-oriented stores would be great.

Also, not sure if this is the right place to ask; I've been offered 2 Mox Opals (one foil) for my Karn Liberated, 4 x Birthing Pod and $35. Should I take this deal? RG tron feels weaker with the new ban/unbans and I doubt I'll be dropping money on a birthing pod deck anytime soon...

I'd take it, seems pretty good. Especially for Affinity, which is cheap sans the Opals and Ravagers.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Bugsy posted:

I know some people here liked him (I really did not care for his coverage or his "news" show) but Reuben Bressler is streaming now. http://www.twitch.tv/moxreuby

Son of a bitch, my eyes crossed for a bit and I thought that was Randy Bhueler streaming.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Tharizdun posted:

I put together Rakdos Humanggro and I just can't understand Exava's role. She's a 4/4 Haster for 4, sure, but is that enough? I keep coming back to Cryptborn Horror as an alternative, because dropping him on 4 and also firing off a Thoughtseize to take their board-wipe or big green dude seems good.

What am I missing about her? That she makes future Rakdos Cacklers into Goblin Guides? I thought she was the top of the curve.

Not just that, she's a Human, which adds to the usefulness of Xathrid Necromancer and the deck in general being resilient to UW/Esper board wipes.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

So basically chock up another one for "Zeus is an enormous dick."

Zeus is ranked 1 as biggest dick in the Pantheon, with Poseidon following him - kinda glad that Hades isn't a huge prick, mostly.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

jhorphear posted:

Kinda late to the party, but does anyone have a link to more info on the goon brew of breakfast burrito? I did some google searches and came up with the basic strategy of the deck, and winning turn 1 looks like a lot of fun. I saw a couple builds that cost less than $150, could be fun to just have sitting around.

Here's the old one, which I think is the best because of the Mimeoplasm kill.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

I really don't get the expansion symbol of Conspiracy, it looks bent to the left for me, and I can't tell what it's supposed to represent.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

:byodood:

In all honesty though, they're probably things that alter the way the game is played in a similar way to how Cogwerk Librarian alters how drafts work that probably just don't work in constructed. "When you play 'cardname,' if your opponent has such and such a card in their draft pool and not in their deck, X happens," or something similarly absurd (note that I'm no the best at examples).

The cards made by Nagle will probably be grave hate because he hates graveyard decks even though they spices things up, or really powerful stuff that would be restricted or banned, because DRS, Jace the Moneybags, etc. Other than that, I'm looking forward to the set.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Yay, Nic Fit won against UWR Delver, used Garruk Primal Hunter to add dudes and I think he topdecked a Liliana of the Veil to kill the guys Delver. I hope he is at least in the Top 4, Glorious Espana! :toot:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Samael posted:

Just been watching the MTG stream on twitch and I got to say Rich Hagon is adorable. His enthusiasm is really infectious and he makes me want to play magic even more. I know a lot of the SCG/WotC coverage got a lot of criticism regarding their commentators, but if you was in their shoes who would you let commentate on which type events and why?

Rich Hagon and BDM combo, great commentators together, add Randy Buehler to either and it's good too.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

Shgdsnag STOP.

This is becoming a very serious problem!

I don't even have the components for RG. I DON'T EVEN HAVE STOMPING GROUNDS.

:negative:

Hey man just sell em and the other goodstuff you opened so you can BUY Stomping Grounds! :downs:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

My streak is over.

Today wasn't Xenagod. It was Ephara v:

But real talk how is everybody like BTT draft format? I'd like another opinion because my first draft involved opening Master of Waves and Phenax so my opinion is a little skewed.

I like it, especially since you open Born first, if you pick a black card from there, you won't automatically be in a slow deck compared to theros, where the cheapest Limited removal was 5cmc. I enjoy the format a lot, although I haven't played a ton yet, just one draft so far.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

bhsman posted:

There's always an elf player. Always. :stare:

Yeah, there always is. At my LGS, when new people came in to the store for Modern, they either had Burn or Elves. Other than that, the other decks are Merfolk, Kiki-Pod, Melira-Pod, Scapeshift, AIDs (Infect), and Jund which I play. I'm really curious why some people choose to play elves, it's strange to me.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

If you mean why people choose to play elves in Modern I have no idea, but Legacy Elves is a cool deck for handsome people.

Yeah, I meant Modern Elves, I mean I think it's possible for some type of combo elves due to Beck, but still, it's bewilders me.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

Last Friday I played Golgari, which played so horribly I just dismantled the deck - 7 rounds of finding no creatures in a deck that hasn't ever lost a game before Friday. Everyone else played netdecked monsters or netdecked control except for one guy playing some stupid thing with Heliod, Ephara, and apparently no win con besides Brimaz and me having 1 creature for 20 turns. What an exciting tournament that was.

I'm playing legacy this Friday with my terrible Affinity deck that refuses to work more than every 5 hands. Should be fun? Does anyone actually play Affinity in legacy?

My list is here:
http://deckbox.org/sets/601891
I just dropped the 4th Thoughtseize for the 4th Tezz, which was probably a mistake, but Thoughtseize's usefulness is hard to gauge in a hotel bed with nobody to play with.

People do play Affinity in Legacy, and some lists are really good. I'd say drop all the Thoughtseizes in exchange for Cabal Therapies, but that's because I'm more biased to Therapy and if you know the meta well it's better than Thoughtseize. I'd say that your list looks pretty good, and I think you'll do fine.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

I know people play it in general; I was curious if anyone here played it. Either way, thanks. I might do 2/2. I don't feel like digging 2 more Therapies out of my Cube, plus I have no idea what anyone plays. I've only played legacy there like, 3 times.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention this, some people play Frogmites and Myr Enforcers, mainly because they're decent bodies for free because artifact lands. They are pretty useful for beating down.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Zoness posted:

Your opponent sounds like a huge jerk from his narration and I'm sorry you had to play against that.

Maybe not a huge jerk but listening to someone say 'crab it up' like it's worth repeating is just... :psyduck:.

Also scapeshift is cool but having a losing matchup to mill has to be p awkward.

I agree - I've watched his videos before, and he just acts in a very arrogant manner, which pisses me off because most archetypes I want to watch on Youtube are done by him, not a lot of people do good videos with interesting decks.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Tharizdun posted:

Back when he played in my shop, Frank was the guy who'd take whatever meme of the week was trending ("Badger badger badger") and just run it into the loving ground. It's funny once, but he was like a living 9gag page.

Yep, that just solidizes my hate for him. Why do people enjoy his content?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Bosushi! posted:

You know who went to Catholic school and had their cards confiscated during lunch?

<----This guy.

Did you ever get them back? What were they?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Korak posted:

They even mentioned it on stream. Commentary people missed the fact Azusa isn't symmetrical. Hunt missed it. Staff on hand missed it. Stream caught it so there's a chance word gets down to the Judges but they've done so much since then.

edit: Eeghan won that game so... uh...

At least he won the match.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The difference here is that Robots is an awesome name. Like what's cooler:

"I have an affinity for things!"

"I have loving robots that will murder you!"

Even though that may be true, I'd rather use the name Androids instead of Robots for an Affinity deck.

EDIT: Even Cyborgs would work if you use Master of Etherium instead of Etched Champion.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

So last night I found out in the MODO Beta Client when you challenge someone, there is no "Start" button, it automatically starts the match for you. Went through 2 faux pas because of it. poo poo sux, oh well.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Bonus posted:

Yeah, I'm kind of getting into modern, but it sucks to know that you're paying $40 for a Cryptic Command that you need for your deck and you know the card isn't worth that much, realistically. I don't know what's weirder, paying $80 for a Misty Rainforest or $18 dollars for a Remand, an uncommon from a fairly recent set.

Remand wasn't from Return to Ravnica, it was from Ravnica, which is quite a while ago. I agree it sucks though, I need 2 more Arid Mesa's and Marsh Falts, and it's $160ish which is too much for 4 cards.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Revitalized posted:

Cracked a foil Pain Seer. Got all excited, then found out that they're kind of worthless. :(

I hope someone breaks this for Standard and it's value goes up. It ain't no Bob but it's something :(

It's really really good in any aggro deck that uses Black. I tested my mono-black aggro deck with someone at my LGS who runs GR beats and Pain Seer can deliver, he's great if you bestow a Herald of Torment on him or a Gift of Orzhova. He's cool with WB because Frontline Medic and Gift, in Rakdos Aggro he has some Madcap Skills yo.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

BXCX posted:

Stranglehold buyout in progress, quick BUY BUY BUY!

What happened this time to make the price rise.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Samael posted:

Sleevechat- Got my first dragonshields in the mail today and I switched over from ultrapro and wow they are so much better. They shuffle so much easier and feel much better quality, never buying another ultrapro product again.

I highly recommend anyone looking for new sleeves to get the new Hyper Matte sleeves from KMC, they shuffle so drat well, riffle shuffling is great with them too. The finish on the back of the sleeves feels FANTASTIC, if you're that type of person who double sleeves, they're a great option for that as well. Overall I'd say the Hyper Matte's are the best card sleeves every made since now.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Serperoth posted:

I watched those videos a few hours ago.

I'd rate your post an A++, but if you're looking for low prices, why not just go Ultrapro?

I'm not a shill for the company, but to answer your question it's the quality. In the long run Ultrapros are bad and only good for sealed or draft play from my experience. I've had the Hyper Mattes since they came out, and I haven't had a problem with them yet.

Boco_T posted:

My Modern deck is a mono-white enchantment prison deck, and I wanted to get 20 of a Plains to put in the deck. Since it's already a troll deck, I got the best troll lands. Portal Second Age art, modern frame, white border. Right?

Forgot monowhite go WU, it's the better version.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Serperoth posted:

I've heard good stuff in general about them in general, and if/when I decide to actually spend money on Magic, I don't think I could resist double-sleeving when the value goes significantly higher than "Whatever I got from the Commander 2013 precons". The quantity of 80 does bug me, and Dragon Shields are much more easily available (my LGS doesn't carry KMC), but the videos were pretty informative.

And yeah, Ultra Pro is generally not a good choice for long-term use. A 100-pack of Dragon Shields in my LGS costs about as much as 150 Ultra Pro sleeves, so at that price it's a pretty good deal from what I understand.

I think it'd be good if you bought a case of them, from that Potomac Distribution, 80 is fine for Constructed though, although I can understand the case with EDH.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Mortimer posted:

Playing the UW prison deck with actual people for the first time reminded me why I don't like competitive magic. :smith:

I was super tired coming straight from work and I missed a chalice trigger against zoo. Keep in mind this was just for fun, not an actual match with any reward other than magic e-peen. I just kinda looked at the guy and said "Really? Oh okay..." and he got pretty angry and started saying "If this were an actual match you'd be destroyed with that kind of play." And then I won the match :shrug:

Another guy was playing splinter twin against me as I dropped my third suppression field. He says "Who the gently caress runs this deck? Did you come up with it?" I say "No some streamer did, I just liked the idea." "Probably some nobody human being I've never heard of." And then I won the match :shrug:

I like magic but I loving hate the players.

Any other people you can find to play Modern with? Any other shops?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I played with a guy today wearing a fedora with steampunk goggles wrapped around the top.

Someone post a good modern prison build. Is there a good one thats monowhite? Sounds fun but dont feel like shelling out for fetches for a second modern deck.

You could ask Dissolution_of_eternity, he used to have a monowhite build, and IIRC the WU build runs no fetches because of Suppression Field, so you'd be better off playing the WU one.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Olothreutes posted:

So in looking at the list of creatures that can be abused with deadeye navigator I've come upon a question. What happens if you cast a creature with a kicker, then flicker it with the navigator? Does the creature remember that it got kicked in its previous casting? My gut says no, it's a new game object and I'm not choosing any alternate or additional costs as it comes into play, but I'd like to be sure.

Kicker costs/effects only apply/occur when you cast them, since Kicker is an optional casting cost.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

I found that this is one site where you can design your own sleeves (http://www.yourcardsleeves.com/), although there's videos that proved he's able to make some, production still seems to be in the beginning phase, based on the order page.

On the topic of terrible sleeve discussion, am I a bad person for running these in the past? I have no shame for buying them or using them :colbert:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

What a Judas posted:

This guy ran a Kickstarter sometime last year, and nobody has seen product from him at all. I'm one of them. gently caress this guy; he's been screwing us around for about a year now and I'm calling the whole thing a loss.

drat, I'm sorry to hear that :(
Are there any other places that make custom sleeves as far as you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Veyrall posted:

I have ham-hands, and I too believe that riffle shuffling is a black art practiced by witches

I believe this too, I started to practice it 6 months ago, the major problem I haven't gotten rid of is the bridging part, it's a pain in the rear end.

• Locked thread