Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Clearly, everyone here is underestimating the Horrible Hordes.

There's a damned demonic coffee cup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Yegor posted:

I put together and am going to be running MURDERHORSE at a local tournament this weekend and had a few questions for the deck veterans around here.

How necessary is it to have Tymaret/Purphoros in your opening hand/on curve? Can the deck function competently without the damage engines? I'm currently assuming you'd just chump block with tokens until you find the necessary cards.

What matchups are the sideboard Rakdos Charms for?

Any other helpful strategies and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Tymaret and Purphoros are important, but you can hold out.

Rakdos charm kills weenie rush strategies dead and is hilarious against Master of Waves, takes out problematic artifacts (whip is the biggest offender), and if you run up against the b/g graveyard deck or a U/W control that's trying to grind you out with elixr of immortality you can reduce their options.

Other stuff: You're playing a control/toolbox deck that's exceptionally hard to play but incredibly fun. If you get out ahead of any deck you're generally going to crush them and grind them underfoot. You have to think creatively about what is and isn't worth removal. Trample and Flying creatures are the second worst next to Fiendslayer Paladin.

If you're running Slaughter Games in the sideboard, here's what you go for in some of the major matchups and some general matchup tips:
R/G: Stormbreath, planeswalkers. Try to whack their mana dorks if you can, Trample stuff is your major problem.
U/W: Win Conditions, especially Aetherling, DETENTION SPHERE and Sphinx's Rev to a lesser extent. My experience with control matchups is that you're better at out controlling them for the most part. Sweepers are largely useless against Murderfarm. Keep Dreadbore and Downfall in.
Mono U: Thassa, Master of Waves, Nightveil. Keep them off devotion and you'll have relatively few problems, Anger of the Gods/Drown in Sorrow shine here.
Mono B: Gary, Demon, Whip, Thoughtseize. You're gonna get Thoughtseized on turn one and probably the next two. It sounds crazy but DON'T keep an opening hand with only one Purphoros or Slaughter games (These two will win you the game). The rest of the stuff in the deck can be in the graveyard for all we care. You'll probably want Rakdos charm in as a two of to kill the whip if you can't slaughter it out.

Like Ossian said, you're going to be setting up a bunch of incredibly painful loops. Multiple Tymarets, multiple posts, recurring ratchet bombs. It gets nutty.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Bant midrange deck tech coming up.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

I think I'm short two sphinx's revs and one of each jace.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

MURDERFARM

bhsman posted:

Hey, I'm happy with how it worked out: I got to play a fun, divergent, and competitive list for a few months and got to turn it around to fuel a Modern deck.

I've largely moved away from it as well, but it's more that I played it enough that I warped the meta into expecting it at my LGS. Then again, I usually have 2-3 reasonably competitive standard decks built or partially built at any given time.

Right now I've got Mono Blue and a bUG list pretty much fully ready to go. The Farm is still mostly put together, but I have to move cards from bUG if I'm going to play it.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

kizudarake posted:

What's your lists?

MURDERFARM: http://deckstats.net/decks/107/35329-murderfarm-
I've picked up One more Hero's Downfall for the list since this, so I'd actually run three and move one ratchet bomb to the side. Right now, the Downfall's and Ultimate prices are in...

bUG: http://deckstats.net/deck-3845551-e25dfc0be3660117d791258f92cf5a97.html
Do you want a god damned poo poo ton of rear end loving on board interactions? Do you want hard to kill creatures? Do you like Kiora? Build this fucker and INTERACT WITH EVERYTHING

Mono U: http://deckstats.net/decks/107/77570-mono-blue
Pretty standard list.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

I just played a match where I won the first game with ashiok/JaceMA mill, then game two with a vraska ultimate.

I was very ahead both games, to say the least.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Does anyone else have a weird gut feeling that M15 is going to include all ten checklands?

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Swords to Timeshares is incredible. And that Uncharted realms was a REALLY good read. Kruphix seems so chill compared to Heliod and Erebos being the biggest dicks in the multiverse.

What I'm saying is we need more Kruphix.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

I want the planeswalkers deck to make it so he can Slaughter Games the stupid rev's out of Floch's deck every game.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

And U/W will take this tournament.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Don't get me wrong, I want G/W to win this. Roughly the only way he's going to pull it off is to resolve AND monstrosity a Fleecemane Lion.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Lurchington posted:

U/W will probably take it down, but I'm fine with that. It's been awhile since an all-out control deck takes it, and I think Floch operates it about as fast as you can reasonably expect.

My original rooting interest was Pat Cox on Brave Naya for the Washington DC representation.

Floch plays pretty fast from what I've seen. This won't take all night.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Looks like Jackon's deck is about to poo poo the bed on him.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

well holy poo poo.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Jackson's 7 card hand looks great and Floch mulled to 6. Actually a good hand on his part.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

I have to say, it was kinda nice to see an actual creature battle.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

bhsman posted:

I don't know about 'much' better, but the deck will be a thing (whether that means viability or not) at least until Purphoros rotates out.

It looks far more consistent and far less durdly than the previous incarnations. Even if just for things like Bloodsoaked Champion and Empty the Pits.

Edit: Though Purphoros isn't quite as important in these revisions as he was in the last standard.

YeehawMcKickass fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 16, 2014

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

LaTex Fetish posted:

hey yeehawkickass is that av from Star Control II?

Indeed it is.

I think I'll be going Mardu at midnight pre-release for the increased chances of picking up stuff for Marduking.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Magic: The Gathering: The Megathread: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

If this doesn't get used for the main thread, I might use it for the next iteration of the Brewhaus.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

5-0 (10-2) in midnight pre-release for complete victory and a box as the spoils.

Went Mardu, basically played Boros splash black. Pool rares were Master of Pearls, Utter End (promo), Deflecting Palm, the morph goblin that act of treasons when flipped up (which I used for a great blowout in round 4), rattleclaw mystic, and the U/R counter/burn spell. Pool had three of the w/b refuges, a ride down, and stupidly efficient 2- and 3-drops. I felt like I was playing Zendikar limited in a lot of games.

Master of Pearls finished a few games, Deflecting Palm was INSANE all night, and Ride Down was great. Ride may see some fringe constructed playability. Both of my game losses were essentially to flooding, but both were still close.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

I mentioned a few pages back that I went with Mardu at a midnight flight, and that I felt like I was playing a Zendikar limited deck. Here's the maindeck (Rest of pool behind the link):

Deck: Kahns Midnight pre release deck and pool

//Lands
8 Mountain
1 Nomad Outpost
4 Plains
3 Scoured Barrens
1 Swamp

//Spells
1 Deflecting Palm
1 Kill Shot
1 Mardu Charm
1 Murderous Cut
1 Ride Down
1 Throttle
1 Tormenting Voice
1 Utter End

//Creatures
1 Ainok Bond-Kin
1 Horde Ambusher
1 Jeering Instigator
1 Jeskai Student
1 Mardu Hateblade
1 Mardu Heart-Piercer
1 Mardu Hordechief
1 Mardu Warshrieker
1 Master of Pearls
2 Ponyback Brigade
1 Seeker of the Way
1 Summit Prowler
2 Valley Dasher
Display deck statistics

This is a deck that apparently goes 10-2 in games over the course of five rounds to win a whole box. The first loss was game one of round one where I drew 10 of the 17 lands over the course of the game. The second loss was game two of round five, where I hit a pocket of five lands (and had three more coming) after being hit by an End Hostilities.

All four rares I played ranged from useful to causing blowouts
Utter End: Actually got countered in round four, but for the most part nobody expected it. This was my promo.
Jeering Instigator: I only ever got to threaten with it once, but man was it good. My round four opponent had a board of the g regenerating guy, a morph, the 4/2 bear, and had just dropped a Valley Dasher. When he moved to combat with just the Dasher, I unmorphed the Instigator, stole the bear, and took away half his board for three mana.
Master of Pearls: +2+2 to the team is no joke. I managed to kill my round one opponent off of the unmorph bonus for exact... through the 4/4 lifelink creature. This guy usually finished games or put them well in reach.
Deflecting Palm: I don't know if I've run into a card that can turn a game around like this one. It literally did an entire game worth of damage for me over the course of the night. And there was nothing like someone crashing in with a 5 power flyer when they're at 7 and having it slammed back in their face.

I cracked my prize box because I'm a horrible addict (and because I can't get enough people together at one time to draft). Pulls weren't absolutely incredible, but my mythics were Empty the Pits, Sarkhan, Sidisi, and Anafenza. Notable rares were Polluted Delta, A foil End Hostilities, and another Utter End for the removal pile.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

yup, we screwed that up then. Neither of us noticed because it was 4:30 in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I Khan't Believe It's Not the Magic: The Gathering Megathread!

Although I still think Magic: The Gathering: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ is better if the forums support it

I'm going to try to use this for the Brewhaus update.

• Locked thread