Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

qbert posted:

My favorite way of determining who goes first is pulling out Rock Lobster, Paper Tiger, and Scissors Lizard and shuffling them facedown and letting my opponent pick his card and mine.

Nth-ing this. I start every match with:
Opponent: "High Roll?"
Me: "No."
Opponent: ???
Me: Puts 3 cards face down. "Pick one!" "Now, pick one for me!"

No weird stuff like dice on the floor, etc. Plus, who doesn't like subgames? (which, on that note, is probably one of my favorite cards, ie Goblin Game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Fish Of Doom posted:

Conspiracy sounds awesome. I'm totally OK with Wizards putting out a special drafting set every summer from here on out.

Apparently there will be a bunch of reprints to, so maybe it's kind of another "greatest hits" set like MM was.

Crossing my fingers this isn't a limited print run (also hopeful there are some fun new Cube-able cards).

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Hopefully there's a Goblin Game reprint.

Let's play a game R
Search your library. If you reveal a card with the word play or game in the title, you may put it in your hand. Shuffle your library.

logis fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 13, 2014

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
So if you took a picture of your opponents Birds of Paradise that was in his hand after you cast Thoughtseize, then a judge gets called because you are taking a long tme fumbling with your phone because you can't remember if it matched the edition of the one he just played...
Is that a time walk?

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Zemyla posted:

Stranglehold should have flash, so you can drop it in response to a library search or new turn.

But red doesn't get flash, so they'd have to add green. And green only gets flash on creatures, so they'd have to give it an efficient body. And if you're making a complex creature like this, they might as well make it legendary.

What I'm saying is I want an RG Stranglehold with flash as my commander. :getin::

I read halfway through this (ie green has flash) and thought you were going to say "hence, blue"

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

suicidesteve posted:

But I've got one better that I did:
7-player Commander game, my friend casts Collective whatever it is 3 few turns in - the one that draws cards. Everyone taps out for like, 15 cards each. I cast Notion Thief and lose then go play Modern which I enjoy much more.

My main wincon in one of my EDH decks is Laboratory Maniac (with a bunch of self-mill, reanimator sub-themes). I don't play EDH very often, but the foil Notion Thief in that deck dreams of the day I kill myself/win the game when someone tries to cast a Wheel of Fortune effect.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

TheLoser posted:

My job is taking me out of Rockford, IL, a complete dead zone in every respect, to Austin, Texas in a few months. This has me excited for a lot of reasons, including finding cool places to play Magic. Does anyone from around there know the good stores? I have a weird work schedule, so I'd prefer knowing the shops that host stuff besides FNM.

In case no one else answered this... The following (pretty much) all do draft; some do standard FNM

'Central'
Pat's Games; competitive players, legacy found here; a good place to start
Dragon's Lair; I don't know much about this place as I never really went there, though it's surrounded by some good/new food places

Up north:
Wonkos (game store, sometimes Legacy)
Mothership (also LAN games)
10th planet (super-casual players)
Card Traders (draft, prerelease mostly)

Down south:
Junior's (I've never been there)

There's a few more places (so says http://www.atxmtg.net/viewtopic.php?t=130&p=508) but those are the ones that I am familiar with. That site also says "
- The more competitive Standard players tend to battle at Mothership.
- Pat's Games has the biggest, most competitive Legacy crowd.
- Dragon's Lair probably has the biggest, most competitive Modern crowd.
- Most stores require decks to be sleeved.
- Pat's Games deals exclusively in Magic: the Gathering. Players must purchase singles through her store's online ordering system."

Really, just play near where you live, and try out a few stores. Pat's is a good starting point if you are in central.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
Ninjitsu.

Sky Hussar.

Skaab Ruinator.

Typical Mono-U deck.

logis fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 23, 2014

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

AgentSythe posted:

Oh my. Food Chain combo on the stream. My god what is happening this weekend.

Edit: Oh this poor fucker casting that adorable Stoneforge Mystic. It's a bloodbath

The Tyrant of SG

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

taladel posted:

I'm excited to have another 2/1 for B.

Get in my cube.

This. Go Cube!

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Bugsy posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/channelfireball

Tom Martell and Josh UL are playing vintage right now.

Thanks for mentioning this; don't usually get to see much vintage.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Bugsy posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/channelfireball

Tom Martell and Josh UL are playing vintage right now.

Game: Storm (artifacts) vs Gush (...)

Josh storms for 11 and casts Mind's Desire with double FOW backup...which Tom responds to with his 1 of main deck Flusterstorm (to which Josh asks to see his decklist from the internet in disbelief)
Blightsteel collosus keep getting bounced as each player has JTMS
eventually leading to Mana Crypt flips putting Josh at 3, where Tom finds a Lightning Bolt...
and instead casts Hurkyl's recall and Mystic Remora

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
Anyone interested in drafting, head to IRC (goonvitational)

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

sponszi posted:

CFB is streaming a limited review of Journey with LSV, Cheon, Wrapter and Mashi at http://www.twitch.tv/channelfireball, and its pretty funny. I just learned that Interpret the Signs is literally the new Contract from Below

Always entertaining to here Cheon straight talk vs LSV jokes. Even discussed God packs...

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

mcnealys baby posted:

Was just at bar bingo in Austin, Texas. The announcer handed me the deck of cards to shuffle for the next round, and I side shuffled them instead of bridge shuffling. He immediately says, "Are you a Magic player? Because you don't shuffle like a normal person"

Where is bar bingo? I have been to Ginny's (Chicken poo poo Bingo) which was pretty neat as the guy who won (he won ~100$) used his winnings to buy a round (Lonestar for everyone!)

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
Ross takes the match with triple Raging Goblin. Red is amusing.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Zorak posted:

Onslaught Fetches confirmed.

This is great (mostly from the standpoint that I own like 3 total Onslaught fetches).

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
Zen fetches hit $10 or $12 while in Standard (that's the only reason I have some). Unless there's a small print run, I expect prices to be similar (after a few months of the set being open). I should note that (locally at least) we opened/drafted a TON of Zen.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

mcmagic posted:

Real duals are gonna skyrocket now.

Hmm. If more of everyone has access to fetches, demand goes up on real duals? Maybe I should bite the bullet on what I still need... Opinions?

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
What happens if
Ugin's Nexus is in play, then I copy it with something like Phyrexian Metamorph

Hmm how about the artifact that imprints another artifact, then combo that with the land that sacks an artifact to gain 1 life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
Fall of the Eldrazi, Coming to you fall 2015

• Locked thread