Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I remember when I first started playing. Bought a random Fourth Edition deck and tried to figure out the rule book. My brother bought a Fifth Edition deck soon after when it was the new thing, and that rulebook was, uh, just as bad. New players have it easy these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Mr. Peepers posted:

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's first instinct was to head over to magiccards.info and see what other Starfish creatures there were.

I vaguely remembered only one, and it turned out it was the only one. Then I thought it was a Fallen Empires card, but I must've confused it with Homarid Spawning Bed for some reason. Probably because I can't think of too many blue token generators.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Victor Surge posted:

Here is a god that happened.

Looks like a thing.

Somebody really wanted to buff Goblin War Drums I guess!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Is Suicide Black still a thing that is viable in any format? Because I just noticed that Gnarled Scarhide would fit in rather well with the likes of Sarcomancy, Carnophage, and I guess any other 2-power-1-drops that exist post-Eighth Edition that I can't recall.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

I'm really lame because I look at all the spoilers and go "How can I fit this into my multiplayer EDH decks"

That's pretty much the only (constructed) format I play these days, anyway. That and Legacy, but in that case I just borrow one of my brother's decks, usually Goblins, but then not many folks in my area play Legacy because they can't afford it or aren't old farts like my brother and I.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Bugsy posted:

Thats the second card that cares about the number of ___ land type you control.

This would've been a great time to bring back Islandhome! :v:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Bring back Licids and their baggage of rules into the modern era. :getin:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

forbidden lesbian posted:

The time walk guy removes all counters, not just 5. So yeah, you do need a source of counters.

Finally, Spikes (the creature type) can make their grand return! Just look out for that Spike Cannibal sideboard tech!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

forbidden lesbian posted:

Does this card work favorably with Doubling Season?

I had to look up what Doubling Season did, but the way it's worded and Gatherer's rulings on it lead me to believe it doesn't affect counters that are moved.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

suicidesteve posted:

Who remembers Kookus?!

Nobody?

I never did get a Keeper of Kookus.

Keeper of Kookus was one of the first cards I pulled from a Visions booster pack. Never did get a Kookus.

Also, Bureaucracy was my favorite Unglued card just because it reminded me of all those wordy text boxes in the old sets.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Waffleopolis posted:

Okay so I am still a noob at MTG, and I was wondering why Man Confluence is going to be so good an apparently be a card worth money? I understand the important of shock lands such as Sacred Foundry as it is a cost to have that mana RIGHT now, but I don't REALLY see why trading 1 life for any color mana is such a 'holy poo poo' response I keep seeing about it. Can someone explain this to me? :confused:

I wanted to add to what everybody else mentioned, but back in the day, in the absence of dual lands in Type II (Standard), the best way to add mana flexibility to your multicolored deck outside of City of Brass was allied-colored Pain Lands. Pain Lands had the benefit of only damaging you when you wanted colored mana, but otherwise being colorless every other time. Tempest offered a cycle of lands similar to the Pain Lands in the form of Slow Lands, only instead of life, it was time you were spending. Because you couldn't use the land for one turn after tapping it for colored mana, nobody used them. The Tap Lands from Invasion onward are a good middle ground between the two types, but Pain Lands are faster.

Speaking of lands that hurt you for mana, Ancient Tomb is a good card for when speed is king.

The point is that life is a resource you should be willing to give up for flexibility or board control or whatever is useful in the now, especially if the alternative is giving up time.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Master of the Turn One Dark Ritual

If only we could roll this guy back in time and he could chill with my buddy Phyrexian Negator in Suicide Black.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Niton posted:

Double posting, but Enormous Casual Red Rare spotted:

How long until it gets banned in EDH?

Considering all the other mass removal that isn't banned (Apocalypse, Nevinyrral's Disk, Jokulhaups) compared to those that are (Upheaval, Worldfire, I guess Limited Resources as well), probably not? Though that is a creature so I guess it's easier to pull of shenanigans with.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Bugsy posted:

Bring back Islandhome.

Technically Landhome, even though I think only one non-Island Landhome creature existed ever.

Give that octopus Enchantmenthome.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I'm behind in terms of stuff that has been released between my break from Eight Edition up until the release of the first Commander decks, but I see there are two different artworks for Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker, and neither of them have him just chilling at his home reading a book. What a shame.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Korak posted:

Might be useful to add to the OP?

Needs to add the Elder Dragons, the Invasion-era Primeval Dragons, and the Planar Chaos wedge dragons. Also Phelddagrif.

Oh, and the Fallen Empires factions. Folks need to know where in the color pie the Ebon Hand and Icatians reside.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 20, 2014

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Samael posted:

Want to see one of the most cringe worthy MTG videos ever? Well, in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY8nZR7Zj6I

Guy opens a beta starter deck worth $5000 and gets no rare from it. It was painful to watch. :(

I remember somebody doing this back around the time Urza's Saga came out. Opening any sealed Beta is just disappointment waiting to happen.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Tharizdun posted:

Autocard Anywhere has reminded me that Backdraft is a card, and furthermore that Legends is a loving insane set full of the weirdest most non-sequiter art and flavor design ever:

Dear WotC, make two new sets to shove into a Legends block like you did with Coldsnap for Ice Age block. Keep the overpriced multicolored legendary creatures and crazy artwork style of the day. Maybe a few new kobolds that say "Counts as a red card" in the text box.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Tharizdun posted:

They did this, it was called Time Spiral block, and it was awesome fanservice but something we will never get again :dings:

That's a shame. They should revisit Ulgrotha so we can see how Baron Sengir is doing. I bet he's still ruling over the plane like a boss while Joven hangs out with his ferrets I guess.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Tharizdun posted:

I can't tell if you're being obliquely sly, but they went back to Ulgrotha as well, only called it Innistrad and made it completely awesome and not lovely.

I always thought Homelands had good flavor unfortunately bogged down with lovely cards that weren't named Merchant Scroll. :smith:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Turn one Dark Ritual into a Duress followed by a Hymn back in the day was kinda fun. If you were the one doing it and you were an rear end in a top hat.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Zoness posted:

You could just ritual negator or ritual necro instead though!!

Casting a Hymn off the back of a ritual seems really wasteful contrasted to just casting it turn 2, I mean, unless you were playing against a Tolarian Academy deck, but even those usually couldn't go off turn 1 (I think Jargrim could but that deck got emergency banned so v:shobon:v).

I played Stasis back in Old Extended. Duress plus Hymn on turn one ruined me because I'm guaranteed to not set up properly (Force of Will on the Duress is a waste, and Duress wasn't going to let you keep Force to stop Hymn). Then again I was playing Stasis so I guess I deserve it.

Now I can't remember if it counted as a "mana source" or not during that era.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 22, 2014

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Lord Of Texas posted:

Then of course, Urza block happened.

When Exodus first came out, one of the first rares I pulled from the set was Mind Over Matter. I thought "this is a cool card, but I wish there was a way for me to get it into play faster and somehow abuse it." Then Urza's Saga. :allears: It was fun while it lasted anyway.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Back when it was called Type 1, I remember my brother modified his Extended Goblins deck to try and burn out an opponent by turn two or three. I can't recall all that was in it, but it was a mash-up of the old Sligh decks that would run Fireblast and Lightning Bolts, along with Goblin creatures like Goblin Lackey and Goblin Piledriver. I want to say it also included Reckless Charge. There was only ever one guy at the LGS we used to visit that had a legit Type 1 deck loaded with Power Nines, but he was a good sport about being my brother's test subject for that burn deck.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

T-Shaped posted:

I had no idea. I got them for fun. I never expected be able to play them outside of casual fun stuff and I entirely forgot about the weird Coldsnap cards that rely on Snow-Covered. I'm still learning the FNM rules and stuff and I'll try not to gently caress up.

Hey now, Ice Age and Alliances actually utilized snow stuff also! Just not as well.

Except maybe Winter's Night in an EDH deck I guess. That might be decent if you can actually somehow get past the slowdown thing.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 24, 2014

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Bonus posted:

Wait, what problems of mono blue would running mana confluence solve? Is it just so it's able to play stuff of of Nightveil?

Immunity to Boil. :downs:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Yesterday my brother and I attended an event at this new-ish store started up by an old friend of ours from back when we used to play competitively during the rough and tumble era of Tempest Block - Onslaught Block. I picked red and my brother picked blue, and eventually rolled a RU deck since I had a lot of good removal on both colors, pulled a Stormbreath Dragon as a bomb, and Artisan of Forms for dumb shenanigans. Went 3-2 though (barely placed 8th), and in both occasions my opponents had Bassara Tower Archer which I could never deal with. My brother went 4-1 (placed 4th) with his RU deck which was a more early game aggressive than mine but without any real bombs for the late game.

This was the first real event/tournament/whatever we had attended since 2002 according to that Planeswalker Points system. It was also the best LGS we had been to in a long time, so I'm glad we're back in the game more or less. Lotta new blood around, and we feel old as poo poo.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Xenagos gets exiled to Sarpadia where nothing remotely interesting happens because thrulls.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Zorak posted:

I hope the entire set has Theros themed versions of all the wraths, that'd be sick.

I hope one of the cards in the set is Mogg Infestation that somehow has Theros-themed artwork for no discernible reason.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Smashing Link posted:

3-0-1 for 2nd with double Sigiled Starfish goodness. Also had 2 Sigiled Skinks who did work for me. Scrying every turn feels good.

I had a Skink in my Saturday deck and a Starfish in my Sunday deck, and I wish I could've played a deck that ran both. Having that much control over what you're gonna pull is great. :allears:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Elyv posted:

I haven't had a chance to do more than prerelease, but is it really? It feels like in draft, Satyr Hoplite can be insane, and Magma Spray is good too in general.

I find that anything which lets you scry is a good thing in limited. Hell, I was running a Temple of Enlightenment in my UR deck since it gave me blue mana and a scry. Didn't even use the white mana. Scry all day every day.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I still have a set of Stasis and a Korean Chronatog. Never gonna let those go even if they aren't much playable these days.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Keldon had comically huge muscles which in the childhood mind = better than = rarer than.

Maraxus of Keld was huge! Provided you weren't tapped out.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Toshimo posted:

Maraxus was the dumbest loving card ever. "IM AN ENORMOUS BURLY FIGHTER MAN. I GET WEAKER WHENEVER I ATTACK." ~Weatherlight~

Well, yeah. And he was killed by Starke of all people.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Tardigrade posted:

Honestly almost all of the Weatherlight story legends were terrible. Look at Gerrard for instance - centuries of eugenics to produce what?

Expensive blocker tapper so your 3/4 dude can I guess hit your opponent? Oh, and life gain, everybody loves life gain! It's a white trait!

Coincidentally, Squee somehow became the best legend of that whole Weatherlight Saga.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Toshimo posted:

FYI: Back in the day, tapping a blocker made it deal no combat damage.

Ojetor posted:

Back when Gerrard was made, tapped creatures dealt no combat damage, so his ability made sense.

Oh right. I forgot about that. Those situations happened so infrequently with me that I overlooked that.

It was still four mana to do, though.

netcat posted:

I just wish we could get this piece on a real card

What, you don't like laser gun Hanna?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Master of Arms is just some Benalish dude that couldn't figure out how Banding worked.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Count me among the people that do not know their first rare. I started "playing" Magic when I was in 6th grade (around Ice Age) and had no idea about rarity because they didn't give any indication on the card. I vaguely remember Shivan Dragon and Force of Nature being big chase cards, but the first card I ever chased was Phil Foglio's Goblin King.

Man, I still love his goofy-looking art.

Goblin King was among one of the first cards I ever did chase as well, and this was back before goblins really took off around the time of Onslaught and not just as a few pieces you'd put into a Sligh deck. It was a Fifth Edition copy, which had the Phil Foglio art. I'd be using it in my Goblin EDH deck, but my brother got me a Beta Goblin King just recently as a birthday gift, so I'm obligated to rock it old school.

Bring back Phil Foglio's goofy art.

Though I will say that I enjoy the goblin art of Wayne Reynolds. Lots of fun stuff.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Night Danger Moose posted:

My first pack rare was Transcendence. :negative:

I think that was my first or second Torment rare. I always wondered what would happen if you had another "can't lose the game" effect in play and went over 20 life with that.

quote:

If your life total is 20 or more and you control an effect that states "you can't lose the game", then an infinite loop is formed. If neither player wants to end the loop by removing one of these two cards from the battlefield, the game ends in a draw.

This sounds like a dumb EDH idea I should attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Alleged shots of FTV: Annihilation.

It looks legit, but who knows. People fake stuff all the time like fake Duck Faygo.

No Damnation. :negative:

Haha, Rolling Earthquake? Seriously? I guess I'm buying this then! Providing it's real because I find it funny they'd reprint anything with Horsemanship referenced.

• Locked thread