Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alaan
May 24, 2005

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I'm partial to this card from long, long ago, and I don't know why.

I never realized til now this poor guy has a sword through his crotch. And the scaling is really weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I run Avalanche Riders in a Naya Flicker deck I put together. T3 Avalanche Riders, T4 Restoration Angel while the echo is on the stack does not make for happy opponents, especially if you are on the play.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It's possible a lot of the early artists just peaced out when they changed to straight payment instead of royalties. I don't think they ever clearly say why an artist is or isn't making art anymore for them.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Even without translating a few things are clear.

June 6 release, MSRP of 3.99, so it's boosters not a fixed set.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 13, 2014

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It's also not unreasonable that there are a few pockets of Phyrexians scattered around the multiverse any way. Dominaria was definitely Yawgmoth's primary target, but they had a presence on a poo poo ton of worlds. Urza and Xancha spent a lot of time basically randomly plane hopping trying to find Phyrexians and Phyrexian sleeper agents.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

There is nothing inherently impossible about a Phyrexian becoming a planeswalker(Xancha's heartstone lead to Karn being able to 'walk), but there never has been one. So they've had to use planar portals. Whether that tech has been passed on through the oil is an open question.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

jassi007 posted:

Yeah. My point is basically karn was a robot built with the same heart/soul piece that phyrexians are made with, then he got a spark. He was more or less a sleeper phyrexian agent from day 1, and he got a spark. His glistening oil leaked out here and there, the Mirrari was an infected space probe basically, then he built that into memnarch who did all sorts of lovely things on Argentum/Mirrodin, he boiled him down to the Mirrari again, then post Time Spiral Karn realized he was corrupt, start planeswalking away but stupidly went back to Mirrodin which basically spelled its doom.

The Phyrexian population is also wildly divergent from the originals. Instead of just churning programmed fantasy androids out of goo vats, a lot of their population is corrupted Mirrans.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It might be more clear depending on where they jump with Tezzeret. Apparently he is pretty high up on the chain of command right now in New Phyrexia on Bolas' orders. However that is mainly from the book which doesn't even have the Praetors so ???

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Pretty sweet two days for me. Won FNM draft last night with some...black red voltron thing. I'm really going with "Holy poo poo was I lucky." on that one. I played well, but it was a pretty mediocre deck. All three opponents mulled at least once, two of those were down to 5. Then I found out we had Modern Masters draft today.

Ended up with a pretty ridiculous U/G splash red deck. Two Mulldrifters, two Aethersnipe, two Errant Ephemeron, Imperiousaur, Tromp the Domains. My G1 in the finals was the silliest thing ever though. I was flooding super hard. I literally had 15/17 lands on board by the time it was over, and I think another 1 in hand. My opponent had been mana screwed so we were kind of just staring at each other taking occasional pokes until I finally hit gas and Tromped. It's hilarious hard casting Ephemeron plus another 5 casting cost guy in the same turn. G2 flooded out again, but not so bad, and ended up getting beat down by Cloudgoat Ranger and blinding beam. G3 he had an opening hand of 3 blinding beams. I pretty much would have needed all 3 of my burn spells to punch through that cause he had the T5 Ranger, then Marsh Flitter once that died.

Cracked two Coursers and a Kiora in my prize packs over the two days. Which is good cause none of my decks had any value in them. Imperiosaur was my P1P1.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

A lot of artists have the big versions up on their website as well.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It probably won't move down much while it is in standard unless somehow W/x control is completely unviable post Ducks block rotation(which hasn't been true for years). It will drop a lot when it rotates out of standard.

I'd still be inclined to ditch it for a non-foil plus some other poo poo if you can find the trade. Foils are sometimes hard to move.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

No. Whenever a player would get priority state based stuff is checked, and one person controlling two of the same Legend forces them to knock one in the yard before they can do anything else.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Don't be that relieved. They aren't anywhere near as major players. I don't think Rev sees play in any major legacy deck and it's certainly not a modern staple. It's usable, but it's significantly worse than in standard because modern is a much faster format.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

morning wood posted:

Question about Supreme Verdict: The text of the card says it can't be countered. Does this mean you just can't play a card that says "counter target spell or is it killing your permanents period dot? Can you play a Boros Charm and make your permanents indestructible in response to this?

Effects that say "Counter target spell" can't do anything vs it. Boros Charm will stop it just fine because indestructible creatures can't be destroyed.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Snacksmaniac posted:

http://mtg.dawnglare.com/

The tools here highlight the cards worth looking for. The price visualizer is a good tool as well.
It takes a working knowledge of set symbols though.

Oh hey there is a good replacement for Ark42 I didn't know about. Woo.

PS: why the hell is Master of the Wild Hunt $15 TCG average. Just one of the ones that leaped out at me when looking at modern prices.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Most event decks have been fairly costed or slightly undercosted on the whole. So we should expect it to be in the right range of value, and possibly a great deal depending on how friendly they are feeling. Either bitterblossom or a fetch(I'm kind of hesitant because only one of five legal fetches getting extra push is kind of weird) would easily put it over. It mentions black disruption so a pair of thoughtseizes or so would kick it to about right as well.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I have never seen either jitte or pithing outside of magic, and I read a lot of random rear end stuff.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Yeah I think the first champion was down on Turn 2. Can't remember what actual the fourth card was though. Vault skirge?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

jassi007 posted:

Do you like janky decks that fold easily? I've got a list for you.

23 Snow-Covered Island
4 Serum Visions
4 Howling Mine
4 Remand
4 Extraplanar Lens
4 Jace Beleren
4 Time Warp
4 Walk the Aeons
4 Temporal Mastery
4 Time Stretch
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

Timewalk and draw your whole deck until you slam Emrakul and win! Do it quickly with extraplanar lens!

Our judge plays a pretty similar variant to this deck streaming that is probably a little sturdier. Has cryptics and some four mana bounce all creatures at instant speed spell. Also Lab Maniac instead of Emrakul as the alternate win con. It's still basically one turn too slow though to to be a fully real deck though.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I'd imagine people would much rather be running fastlands or buddy lands depending on deck than something guaranteed to come in tapped if they needed more than fetches/shocks.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

He's not in an enviable position, and they may know that. Short of a massive injection of cash to wholesale repair the back end there isn't going to be a good way to fix it.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

So as much as I like my Zendikar full arts, I really don't look at my lands in play that often and I also like sweet, sweet cash. Any suggestions on how best to sell them off? Sets of 1 of each land seem to be doing decent on eBay.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

They are also really hilarious with Haakon, Stromgald Scourge because then you just keep casting Crib Swap and Nameless Inversion.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

There will probably be somewhere between 3-5x as many Mutavaults as there were before and about the same demand as before M14. No way is that not going down. If you aren't using them in standard and you have them, you'll want out in the next three months.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It's too good of a card in Modern and Legacy to totally brick. Probably won't dip below 10? Totally pulling that out of my rear end though. Long term they should head back up but not as fast as Lorwyn's will.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Sab669 posted:

I know what a fetchland is but I have no idea what any of those other things are.

For Nightveil Specter, I assume you have to pay the mana cost for exiled cards you wish to play? Just reading over popular deck lists :downs:

Seachrome Coast is a Fast Land, there is a whole cycle from Scars of Mirrodin. Fire-lit Thicket and stuff like this are filter lands from Lorwyn block.

And yeah, you still need to pay the mana costs. luckily he can also steal lands!

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Bring back five color control.

Any standard where casting a spell with 7 colored mana symbols in it over three colors is no thang is hilarious.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

At least they apparently dropped out on Force of Will being on a MTGO pseudo reserve list.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Mine are very roughly alphabetized. All the White A's are together etc. The key is if you are basically just starting keep SOME organization on it because it takes for loving ever to sort them out later when it is 1000 random white cards with no rhyme or reason.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I think last I checked Giant Growth had the most unique arts.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Duels 14 has a handful of cards like that. I know It That Betrays is one. Know there are a few others as well.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

The inconsistency is the big thing. I've tried a few of the weird MODO sealeds and every pool I've gotten has been completely unsynergistic garbage.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I'm imagining Garruk probably not going to get touched in the story soon. He's the face of M15 so that almost guarantees a new card, which will put him at five cards. That's more than anyone else so I'd be shocked if there was also a Ducks block Garruk.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I was thinking Purphoros more than Iroas honestly. Swing in, pop 3 dudes for 6 damages, possibly trigger heroic.

Also it and the green rare strive are goign to lead to some total blow outs in limited.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

On the other part of that argument, I don't think anyone who is playing city of brass is playing damage prevention.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Ducks block takes place during The Brothers' War, the Invasion, and Time Spiral.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Something that says target creature can target any creature unless it says "creature card." A token is not a card so would not be a valid target. That is pretty rare for things that are on board though.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I'd imagine it is a lot like the invitational cards were done. The guest designers have an idea they want to do then design/development either makes it into a printable card(which may end up being fairly different because of rules/balance) or go "whoa, let's try something else".

Alaan
May 24, 2005

When an object changes zones is generally considered to be a new object for terms of abilities/targeting. So guy with persist dies. It's controller stacks the triggers so persist resolves first and returns that creature to the battlefield. Athreos' trigger goes to resolve and the persist creature is no longer in the yard so can't be moved from the yard to it's controller's hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Korak posted:

Doesn't that mean the Fleets spell is free for Strive? Nevermind I'm dumb, thought they were including strive costs.

Still costs W because it only reduces colorless mana. But the strive IS figured into the mana cost when casting it.

So you declare targets. Strive adds 1 to the cost for each target, Thaumaturge removes 1 from the cost for each target, you pay calculated cost of W.

• Locked thread